User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2010, 07:27 AM   #14911
rydnseek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,888
I use the contour hd.
I like the way it handles varying light conditions.. better than most cams i've had in the past. It has a very smooth transition between bright sunlight & shade, which you get a lot while riding.

The main con with this unit is determining if it's on. It has a beep, but it can be hard to hear when riding. The light is also hard to see. When it's on standby, you just slide the switch forward to begin recording. Easy even with gloves.

I like the simple, all in one unit. I can get 2 hrs of video on an 8g. card. The usb rechargeable battery lasts that long without recharging. 2 hrs is a *lot* of video. I try to just take clips of 2-3 min. max.. sometimes in a very interesting ride i'll go 5 min. Other times i will just go 20 seconds or less for a quick view.

It attaches easily & in a variety of ways. I have a simple velcro strap that wraps around the chin bar on my helmet. ..easy to put on & off. It's rated as water resistant, but will not go underwater. I've had it in the rain & it seems to be ok.

Overall, for ride reports, i think i prefer stills. they are sharper, easier to take in details, & easier to take. But the vid clips enable me to get more of a feel of the ride & the views. I'm a lazy photographer.. i don't mess with the shots a lot, just crop, resample, & post. The videos i seldom crop, unless there is a long boring part with a short interesting part. Then i might crop out some of it. Mostly i just upload the vids as they are.. another reason to take short clips.

I've tried to figure out a good way to mount my point & shoot & use it as a camcorder, but a chest mount is too low, & a helmet mount is too high & hits stuff. Handlebar mounts vibrate too much.

I like the high def feature.. though it makes big files & take a long time to upload. But they catch much more detail.

If i were doing more professional type of work, i'd probably go for one of the lipstick cameras, with a microphone lead inside the helmet, so you could narrate or comment on the video. Those have a recording unit that fits in a pocket or clips to a belt or jacket. But the contour hd has pretty decent sound, great video, & is easy to use. I would get another. I like the profile of it better than the gopro, which is more like a small camera mounted to the helmet. But if money was no object, i'd get the lipstick camera system.
rydnseek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 09:44 AM   #14912
Machtig
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 378
24 Hrs of Glenn Helen

This is my call for riders to be part of a team I am putting together to do the 24hrs of Glen Helen on 16-17 October 2010. Right now I've got myself and my brother committed. We can have a six man team, so we need an additional 4 riders. Let me throw this out there now, we are doing this for fun only. If we place or win (not likely) great, if not, who cares. I am a C class rider, FYI. All we care about is finishing the damn thing. I will provide my WR250R, my Airstream to recuperate in while you aren't riding, the lights for the bike, etc. What I need from whoever wants to join the team: a good attitude, an EZ-up type tent for our pits assuming we can't park the Airstream there( I don't think we can, but who knows?), a couple fuel cans, spare parts (bike would be good too, for the impound bike) for the WRR if you have any, 2 big (5kW min) generators to power the Airstreams A/C and the other for the lights/fans, etc at the pits.

The bike has all the goodies, including Go Race suspension, Scott steering damper, Revloc autoclutch, gearing, Safari Tank, HDB bark busters, $1400 worth of the best lights money can buy, etc and will have the Thumper racing big bore kit installed and tested by race day.

I just got back from the Perry Mountain 24hr Challenge and I can tell you without a doubt it is the funnest thing I've ever done. It was bruttally hot and humid and I damn near passed out, but I was having a blast. We didn't win, not even close, but we did finish, and thats all that matters. Riding at night with lights is awesome. Never done it before, can't wait to do it again.

Yes, I know the WRR isn't the best bike for this type thing, but it is a good bike, and all I have out here, so its gonna get used and abused.

If you want to join and don't have any of the stuff we need, no worries, we'll figure something out. PM me if interested.

Photo's of the perry mountain experiment to wet your whistle:

The team near the end, I was about to embark on my final lap, my friend Brad would take the checkered

My brother, just returning from his two laps. Yes, it was muddy thanks to a monsoon that rolled through about mid race.

The start, LeMans style

Greaser leaving on his final early morning laps.
Machtig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 09:55 AM   #14913
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machtig
This is my call for riders to be part of a team I am putting together to do the 24hrs of Glen Helen on 16-17 October 2010. Right now I've got myself and my brother committed. We can have a six man team, so we need an additional 4 riders. Let me throw this out there now, we are doing this for fun only. If we place or win (not likely) great, if not, who cares. I am a C class rider, FYI. All we care about is finishing the damn thing. I will provide my WR250R, my Airstream to recuperate in while you aren't riding, the lights for the bike, etc. What I need from whoever wants to join the team: a good attitude, an EZ-up type tent for our pits assuming we can't park the Airstream there( I don't think we can, but who knows?), a couple fuel cans, spare parts (bike would be good too, for the impound bike) for the WRR if you have any, 2 big (5kW min) generators to power the Airstreams A/C and the other for the lights/fans, etc at the pits.

The bike has all the goodies, including Go Race suspension, Scott steering damper, Revloc autoclutch, gearing, Safari Tank, HDB bark busters, $1400 worth of the best lights money can buy, etc and will have the Thumper racing big bore kit installed and tested by race day.

I just got back from the Perry Mountain 24hr Challenge and I can tell you without a doubt it is the funnest thing I've ever done. It was bruttally hot and humid and I damn near passed out, but I was having a blast. We didn't win, not even close, but we did finish, and thats all that matters. Riding at night with lights is awesome. Never done it before, can't wait to do it again.

Yes, I know the WRR isn't the best bike for this type thing, but it is a good bike, and all I have out here, so its gonna get used and abused.

If you want to join and don't have any of the stuff we need, no worries, we'll figure something out. PM me if interested.

Photo's of the perry mountain experiment to wet your whistle:

The team near the end, I was about to embark on my final lap, my friend Brad would take the checkered

My brother, just returning from his two laps. Yes, it was muddy thanks to a monsoon that rolled through about mid race.

The start, LeMans style

Greaser leaving on his final early morning laps.
If I could turn back the clock about 20 years I would be all over this Crawdaddy they are talkin to YOU
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 10:13 AM   #14914
Krabill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,715
If I was closer, I'd be all over it.

I've got a friend in Georgia who keeps trying to get me to come do a 24 hour race with him. He sounds a lot like you . . . says it's the funnest thing he's ever done on two wheels.
Krabill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 10:47 AM   #14915
Crawdaddy
Navigate 2 Adventure

Oddometer: 2,224
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ TOM
If I could turn back the clock about 20 years I would be all over this Crawdaddy they are talkin to YOU
hmmmmmm........that is tempting.......only ~2 hours from home......but I'm a 50+ trail rider not a young/high jumping/track rider.....if you get really desperate for riders as we get closer I suppose I could spell you for a lap or two.....you did say the expectation bar was set pretty low
http://www.WhereAmIRiding.com
Crawdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 11:05 AM   #14916
Machtig
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawdaddy
hmmmmmm........that is tempting.......only ~2 hours from home......but I'm a 50+ trail rider not a young/high jumping/track rider.....if you get really desperate for riders as we get closer I suppose I could spell you for a lap or two.....you did say the expectation bar was set pretty low
Yeah, the bar is set low. All that is required is we have fun. At this past weekends race I was turning 40+ min lap times. The others in the team thought I was slow. They get out there and one of them says he nearly just quit, the others felt the pain. I was slow, but so were they

If you decide to join the team, we'd enter the 30+ Sportsman Class. They have an over 50 class, but I ain't that old.

Also, don't let the location or distance from you scare you away. That's why they make airplanes. Just show up with your riding gear, and we'll figure everything else out.

If I win the lottery, I'll have the 450 shipped out, but right now I don't think its an option for me.

Machtig screwed with this post 06-09-2010 at 11:12 AM
Old 06-09-2010, 12:27 PM   #14917
MyMonyPit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
Is it critical to put your chain on in the same direction you took it off? I removed the swingarm for a re-grease, laid the chain on the floor because I was also going to clean it, and really don't remember which way I had it. The bike only has around 300 miles on it so it's not like it's worn to a particular pattern but I'm curious anyway.

Thanks!
Old 06-09-2010, 12:28 PM   #14918
debaisley
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,424
the wheel may fall off if the chain is put on the wrong way . . . .

i really dont think it would make any difference.
debaisley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 12:45 PM   #14919
Machtig
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyMonyPit
Is it critical to put your chain on in the same direction you took it off? I removed the swingarm for a re-grease, laid the chain on the floor because I was also going to clean it, and really don't remember which way I had it. The bike only has around 300 miles on it so it's not like it's worn to a particular pattern but I'm curious anyway.

Thanks!
The only thing that is relatively important is that the master link closed end be facing the direction of rotation(if you're not running the stock chain, which has no master link) . This is done so you don't accidentally knock off the clip and end up tossing the chain. Otherwise I dont think it matters.
Old 06-09-2010, 02:51 PM   #14920
Kjharn
Hrmph?

Oddometer: 1,140
Has anyone else stripped the oil drain bolt? If so, what did you do? I don't know what the hell I was thinking, but I tightened it instead of loosening it (I know, I know)... Now it won't get tight enough to hold oil in properly.

Kjharn screwed with this post 06-09-2010 at 02:57 PM
Kjharn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 03:00 PM   #14921
R_Lefebvre
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjharn
Has anyone else stripped the oil drain bolt? If so, what did you do? I don't know what the hell I was thinking, but I tightened it instead of loosening it (I know, I know)... Now it won't get tight enough to hold oil in properly.
You're probably going to have to have it heli-coiled. Not likely something you can do yourself, but shouldn't be a huge deal. I'd worry about bits of metal in the oil however, so I'd stop running it till you get it sorted out.
R_Lefebvre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 03:03 PM   #14922
Kjharn
Hrmph?

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Lefebvre
You're probably going to have to have it heli-coiled. Not likely something you can do yourself, but shouldn't be a huge deal. I'd worry about bits of metal in the oil however, so I'd stop running it till you get it sorted out.
Had the oil drained, so no worries there. Any idea what size the stock plug is?
Old 06-09-2010, 04:21 PM   #14923
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,741
Quote:
Had the oil drained, so no worries there. Any idea what size the stock plug is?
Get a new drain bolt?
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 04:32 PM   #14924
Kjharn
Hrmph?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ TOM
Get a new drain bolt?
It's not the bolt. Have to get a heli-coil put in.
Old 06-09-2010, 06:04 PM   #14925
bash3r
I ain't no DingWeed

Oddometer: 1,708
Doh! not the bolt.. errr.. sorry

Quote:
It's not the bolt. Have to get a heli-coil put in.
It happened to me.. rounded the drain plug, so I got this.. worked perfect!

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...0673&ppt=C0099

ADV Gear | 3 Step Hideaway |Campground POIs
bash3r is offline   Reply With Quote