ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Oz and Kiwi Land
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-05-2009, 06:49 PM   #31
GodSilla
I did that.

Oddometer: 7,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy
Using T4A & Shonky I mapped out a route on my PC and downloaded it to my 60Cx for a day trip only to have my plans and timetable shattered due backtracking because of tracks that went into private property and/or had locked gates.

Does OzTopo V2 show locked gates??? and hopefully doesn't show tracks that can only be used by land owners .

Cheers.
OzTopo doesn't show gates, or differentiate between public and private access. You suck it and see when you're actually there. I spent 5 hours last week to cover 2 hours worth of terrain, trying to follow "trails" into the national park behind Bemboka in the Bega valley, every one of them ended in a gate. Some properly fully named roads just petered out in someone's paddocks (I quietly skulked out of there). Water crossings aren't accessible or don't exist. The maps are full of inaccuracies, but at the micro level.
I'm starting to learn as I go, being a newby to this stuff, but the quality of the data used to prepare the maps is the source issue.

An observation, while OzTopo shows a truly remarkable amount of detail, much of the finer detail tracks are simply not acessible. the data isn't always reliable either. Shonky shows less detail, but also shows publicly accessible farm tracks that OzTopo doesn't.
I just ended up loading OzTopo and Shonky on the same data card, and I use the shonky 50m topo as an overlay for OzTopo as required, as the 10m topo OT2 comes with tends to crowd the screen. Between the 2 sets of maps I can usually work out where I am lost.
GodSilla is offline   Reply With Quote