Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2008, 12:52 PM   #61
earthroamer OP
Stuck in Pindadesh

Oddometer: 2,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeraux
I wonder how hard it would be to do it with just a good 10x12 or 12x14 poly tarp from Home Despot or Lowe's or something.

I'm actually playing around with one of the cheap blue poly tarps. Works better if it's square. Hard to get a taut pitch but does the same thing. Better than not having one.
earthroamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 01:07 PM   #62
Xeraux
Archvillain

Oddometer: 30,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthroamer
I'm actually playing around with one of the cheap blue poly tarps. Works better if it's square. Hard to get a taut pitch but does the same thing. Better than not having one.
That makes sense. In order to get something taut, it needs to stretch a little. These poly tarps aren't going to stretch.

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 02:25 PM   #63
earthroamer OP
Stuck in Pindadesh

Quote:
That makes sense. In order to get something taut, it needs to stretch a little. These poly tarps aren't going to stretch.
That and the catenary cut ridgline. Flat tarps flap around more.

For DIY's, here's the plans for a very good 100 sq. ft. catenary-cut silnylon tarp.
Old 04-16-2008, 02:17 AM   #64
dlh62c
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,598
earthRoamer

I just received my mosquito net. I have yet to set it up. I ended up getting the Tactical Rectangle Double, model MN723 from SCS LTD. It was a little more expensive than the REI model. But I could add a bottle of Permethrin mosquito repellent (Field Treatment Kit for $3.95) to the order.

http://www.scs-mall.com/mosquito-net...ts.asp?dept=37

daryl
dlh62c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 08:34 AM   #65
earthroamer OP
Stuck in Pindadesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlh62c
earthRoamer

I just received my mosquito net. I have yet to set it up. I ended up getting the Tactical Rectangle Double, model MN723 from SCS LTD. It was a little more expensive than the REI model. But I could add a bottle of Permethrin mosquito repellent (Field Treatment Kit for $3.95) to the order.

http://www.scs-mall.com/mosquito-net...ts.asp?dept=37

daryl
Thanks for the link to SCS, nice outfitter.

Someday I'm going to make (by make, I mean have my sister make) a custom netting. You can get bulk netting in 81" wide, that way it could be 6.5' high and fit a square tarp better.

I've had very good experience with permethrin backpacking in the PNW. I treat all my clothes especially socks. Little buggers won't go near it.
Old 04-16-2008, 08:56 AM   #66
MojaveGS
Loving it!

Oddometer: 3,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dub
Get rid of the rain fly that comes with the tent, takes up too much room. Also get rid of the bag that comes with the tent and use a small stuff sack.
Good advise if it is not cold and or windy.
VTTMZFPKWGDKZXTJCDIGKUHUAUEKCAR
MojaveGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 11:05 AM   #67
G-Dub
Custom User Title

Oddometer: 17
Quote:
Don't use rope, use a bungee on each corner that will keep it taught.
G-Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 01:57 PM   #68
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 6,679
Quote:
I've had very good experience with permethrin backpacking in the PNW. I treat all my clothes especially socks. Little buggers won't go near it.
I have to ask ... what's permethrin?

I've never seen or heard of it in Canada, maybe it's illegal or something? All we get is DEET for mosquitoes.
Old 04-16-2008, 02:35 PM   #69
earthroamer OP
Stuck in Pindadesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Alexander
I have to ask ... what's permethrin?

I've never seen or heard of it in Canada, maybe it's illegal or something? All we get is DEET for mosquitoes.
Permethrin is an synthetic pyrethroid insecticide, and should be handled as such. Dangerous in the liquid form. But clothing treated with permethrin has been determined to be safe. The best example of this ExOfficio BUZZ OFF clothing. Treated clothing repels insects.

I've used it for the past few years for backpacking in the Sierra's and PNW. I've bought the spray and just sprayed my clothes and I've bought bulk liquid and soaked everything at once. If you soak netting with the stuff, the mosquitos won't even go near the netting. Otherwise they congregate against your netting and as soon as there is an opening, in they go. On one llama trek I did in the Wallowas (NE Oregon) I was the only person in the group that had used permethrin and everyon else was eaten alive through their clothing, even tho they sprayed DEET heavily.

I buy permethrin from REI but I don't know if you can get it in Canada. I notice MEC doesn't carry it.

earthroamer screwed with this post 04-16-2008 at 03:26 PM
Old 04-16-2008, 03:46 PM   #70
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 6,679
Thanks for the info, it's very interesting. Like it was said it must be pretty wicked stuff. Did you notice on the bottom of the REI page that ExOfficio Buzz Off shirts cannot be shipped to Canada? Guess that's why I've never heard of it.

Next trip to the US I'll have to buy some and try it out.
Old 04-16-2008, 05:54 PM   #71
AngryScot

Oddometer: 18,307
Posted this link a long time ago in some other thread I cannot find, but thought you tarp folks would get a kick out of it.
Didn't see how to make a duck out of a tarp, which I think is the only thing this doc misses!

http://www.equipped.com/tarp-shelters.pdf
AngryScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 01:53 AM   #72
dlh62c
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,598
Quote:
Permethrin is an synthetic pyrethroid insecticide, and should be handled as such. Dangerous in the liquid form. But clothing treated with permethrin has been determined to be safe. The best example of this ExOfficio BUZZ OFF clothing. Treated clothing repels insects.

I've used it for the past few years for backpacking in the Sierra's and PNW. I've bought the spray and just sprayed my clothes and I've bought bulk liquid and soaked everything at once. If you soak netting with the stuff, the mosquitos won't even go near the netting. Otherwise they congregate against your netting and as soon as there is an opening, in they go. On one llama trek I did in the Wallowas (NE Oregon) I was the only person in the group that had used permethrin and everyon else was eaten alive through their clothing, even tho they sprayed DEET heavily.

I buy permethrin from REI but I don't know if you can get it in Canada. I notice MEC doesn't carry it.
EarthRoamer

The Permethrin kit says I can treat the net, 1 pair of pants and 1 shirt at the same time. Just roll them up togather and drop them into the supplied plastic bag. Pour in the permethrin some water and let it set for no less than 2 hours. Pull them out, let everything air dry. Once dry the clothes can be worn. The treatment should be good for 6 washings. I thought I would treat one long sleeve t-shirt and the convertable pants I'll be taking on the trip.

daryl
dlh62c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 03:18 PM   #73
AngryScot

Oddometer: 18,307
bringing my tarp to warped

will grab a few pics to see how it works out
AngryScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 06:43 PM   #74
tim95621
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Quote:
Add a mosquito netting and you have a nice skeeter-free area to cook and relax...

How did you attach the mosquito netting to the tarp? I looked through the posts and didn't see it. Maybe I missed it?

Tim
tim95621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 08:40 PM   #75
Bitt
Wanderlusting

Oddometer: 691
A tarp with a twist...

Kifaru Super Tarp

Warmth and under 4 pounds with the stove, poles and stakes. A killer system for the light weight crowd.
Bitt is offline   Reply With Quote