dirt hokie OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 421
KX 60 F, or KXR 80

Ok two things first.
1. This will be my first bike build
2. this will be my first time trying to post a pic

Background:
I always liked the idea of a nice easy going thumper engine in a light weight bike with good suspension. I have been thinking of building a full size bike like a TTR 250 in a WR 250 or 450 frame. In the mean time I picked up a 03 kx 60 for my son and a 01 kx 60 with a trashed engine.
The 03 was missing a few nuts and bolts, so I took what I needed from the non running 01. Skip ahead a few weeks and I pick up a 1982 xr 80 with some motor issues, which I am working on now, hope to have it running this week end. Also my first try at major engine work. So I figure as a test bed for a full size bike and a as a skill builder why not put the XR 80 motor in the KX 60 frame. If it works it will be a awesome little trail bike, if its doesn't I will just put the motor back in the xr frame and keep it stock, which is cool anyway since my first bike was a 1978 xr 75 which is very similar.

Please be warned, my welding sucks, my painting sucks, and I am not a mechanic or fabricator. I just like to tinker in my garage.

wish me luck
dirt hokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 05:54 AM   #2
dirt hokie OP
Gnarly Adventurer

this is a test
Old 01-30-2014, 06:55 AM   #3
dirt hokie OP
Gnarly Adventurer

the 82 xr 80

looks like the biggest problem will be the relation ship between the foot pegs, kick starter, and rear brake.
Old 01-30-2014, 04:10 PM   #4
Wolfshirt
2nd degree nOOb

Oddometer: 10
I think the foot pegs mount to the bottom of the engine. You could cut the bottom out of the KX frame and use the engine as a stressed member and keep original peg mounts. This will also let you move the engine down for head clearance. I have similar year xr100 and that engine case is very solid as I have drug it on the ground and trees, and beat it a lot.

Cool idea hope it fits.
Wolfshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 08:23 AM   #5
dirt hokie OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Still working on the xr engine, but might just by-pass it and buy a another running xr. Tonight I will do some test fitting, I already cut off the lower frame rails of the kx. Keeping the engine as a stressed member I think is the way to go. Should free up more space around the back end of the engine mounts if I don't have to worry about fitting frame rails in there. I already thought about using the xr pegs and mounts, only problem I see is that it will move the foot pegs forward relative to the kx location, but I might be able to modify the xr mounts and move them back some and stil bolt them to the bottom of the engine, off course the effects the shift lever...... I want to maintain a good riding position. The best part about this whole project is that I have a complete running kx 60 to compare the final product to and a good test rider for feed back. Will try to post pics tonight.
Old 02-02-2014, 05:45 PM   #6
dirt hokie OP
Gnarly Adventurer

progress

test fitting to see if its possible

lower engine mount location and removal of kx foot pegs

dirt hokie screwed with this post 02-03-2014 at 06:18 PM
Old 02-02-2014, 05:50 PM   #7
dirt hokie OP
Gnarly Adventurer

cket.com/user/DirtHokie/media/DSCN0880.jpg.html][/URL]
Old 02-02-2014, 06:00 PM   #8
dirt hokie OP
Gnarly Adventurer

It is possible, gas tank will be a difficult. It will hit the carb and the cylinder. Pretty tight in the front but the fender and tire will clear everything. The bend in the muffler as it exits the cylinder has to be shortened, already did a test fit of that. Now I need to get some metal for the front down tube. The stuff i had on hand was either to big or to small. I also need a longer mounting bolt for the back lower mount. The upper back mount will be figured out once I get the front ones figured out and the motor position is finalized. There is plenty of room to line up the sprocket left and right.
Old 02-03-2014, 06:01 PM   #9
dirt hokie OP
Gnarly Adventurer

i messed up the pics
Old 02-03-2014, 06:04 PM   #10
purplepeopleeater
The Official VW Nut

Oddometer: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt hokie View Post
i messed up the pics
Correct sir
Old 02-04-2014, 05:24 PM   #11
Wolfshirt
2nd degree nOOb

I have to admit, I did not think it would fit. Looks like the counter shaft sprocket and swingarm line up nice. You may be able to lower it a little in the frame if you need room up top. What are you going to make the intake out of? I am sure you know but make sure you keep the carb. level to avoid running problems. Don't know what the intended use is but if you are going to jump, that top frame tube looks very small now. May need to put tubes under the engine to tie it all together.

If space gets to tight run the carb out the side and put a down pipe on and have a micro flattracker.

Good luck.
Old 02-04-2014, 06:32 PM   #12
pennswoodsed
lizards,bugs and me

Oddometer: 650
other way

How about adapting kx suspension to xr frame where the tank,carb and exhaust already fit ?
pennswoodsed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:38 AM   #13
Ed_in_miami
Cubicle Traveler

Oddometer: 1,228
Cool build. I'll keep an eye on it...
Old 02-05-2014, 12:00 PM   #14
dirt hokie OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I wanted to put the xr in the kx frame because other wise I would end up with a much larger heavier bike, plus I would have to use cr 80 or similar suspension and end up with a much larger heavier overall bike. I wanted it to be a 60cc sized machine. The Xr 80 was the smallest vertically arranged engine that I could find easy. I was thinking about using a xr 70 style engine but they where way to long. The xr 80 engine is used as stressed member in a xr 80 and I am going to use it as a stressed member on this build. There should be room to add a engine cradle later if needed. I hope to have the front engine mount and down tube figured out tonight. I had to cut away the cross member that stiffens the head tube area, I will be adding some material back in there once I have the mounts figured out.
Old 02-05-2014, 04:43 PM   #15
Wolfshirt
2nd degree nOOb

I am pretty sure that the xr 100 and 80 are the same physical size and have same mounting points. So if you get it mounted up and running you can move up to a 120cc big bore.