Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2008, 05:36 PM   #136
xDownSetx
U WOT M8?

Oddometer: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadhamr
that is one of the reasons i chose the 1981. no anti dive on the front forks. an air system yes but no anti dive. i would like to remove the air system but i dont hink it is possible. i will modify them by stacking up the springs and putting in a heavier fork oil but i wonder about the air system. any ideas?
Well under the air system there are holes in the stanchions. You could fill the holes, or you can just run it without any pressure in the system.
xDownSetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 06:13 PM   #137
Elvis70
No speed traps in the sky

Oddometer: 5,056
Run em as designed

Alot of guys do this with the IRC GP110 as well. I don't. Rear tire angled for acceleration. Front agled for braking. Why would you turn a tire that provides no accelaration around and loose the braking action. Though they swear it handles better. I don't see how. Personally I think some of these guys would mount the mirrors backwards just so they can see who is coming behind them from the other side of the earth if for no other reason than simply that is not stock. Some guys like to think multilmillion dollar r&d programs are meaningless. Change for the sake of change you know. Just my 2 cents.

Quote:
so if you have a tire that is a front tire you mount it as the direction arrows go, and if you are mounting a rear tire as a front tire because of size issues or whatever then you would mount them opposite to the directional arrows. is this a general rule of thumb or is it manufacturer related?
Elvis70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 08:03 PM   #138
Motomantra
Registered Lurker

Oddometer: 1,235
Can't put a rear tire on the front and "run it as designed". It wasn't designed for the front. I'll mount a designed rear tire backwards on the front. I agree with SlipChip. I have seen arrows on tires that say mount backward for front. Nortons, Tridents had the same tire front & rear. The front one goes on "backward".
Think about the forces on the tire. The rear is pushing, the front is being pushed. Opposite forces.
Old 12-30-2008, 05:57 AM   #139
Andy G
2wheeled alpinist

Oddometer: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis70
Rear tire angled for acceleration. Front agled for braking. Why would you turn a tire that provides no accelaration around and loose the braking action.
Thats exactly the reason why you should do it (when using a rear tire in front): the direction of the force is opposite!

Cheers, Andy
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 07:54 AM   #140
Elvis70

Tires smires

I missed that you were using a rear tire up front. Lots of guys mount the front GP110 backwards. They say it handles better. That doesn't make sense to me. What you are doing makes perfect sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy G
Thats exactly the reason why you should do it (when using a rear tire in front): the direction of the force is opposite!

Cheers, Andy
Old 12-30-2008, 02:22 PM   #141
roadhamr
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 623
to sort this out and make it simple it is a general rule of thumb that you would mount a rear tire on the front opposite to the directional arrows as marked on the tire as forces are opposing. front tires are then designed differently then rear tires and should never be used for anything but the front?.

anyways i bought the 1981 s1100e today and i will get it home in a few days. it needs a bit of love but it is all there and everything works well. pics will come soon as i can of the start.

2000 valkyrie interstate
roadhamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 02:33 PM   #142
Elvis70

Confused yet? I am.

Not exactly. What I am reffering too is some people mount some front tires up front but backwards which makes no sense to me. But to mount a back tire up front backwards or a front tire out back backwards makes sense. Probably still not as good as a tire desinged for that purpose but when improvising you got to do what you got to do.

Quote:
to sort this out and make it simple it is a general rule of thumb that you would mount a rear tire on the front opposite to the directional arrows as marked on the tire as forces are opposing. front tires are then designed differently then rear tires and should never be used for anything but the front?.

anyways i bought the 1981 s1100e today and i will get it home in a few days. it needs a bit of love but it is all there and everything works well. pics will come soon as i can of the start.
Old 12-30-2008, 04:33 PM   #143
roadhamr
Studly Adventurer

i spoke with my tire people and a few mechanic mates and they agree that is not a good idea and perhaps those that do it may suffer from a mental disease medically referred to as f'in retarded. they should be wearing a helmet always.

2000 valkyrie interstate
Old 12-31-2008, 08:58 AM   #144
timdog
a.k.a. Josh

Oddometer: 621
Quote:

Congrats on the new purchase. What are your plans?
timdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 10:05 AM   #145
roadhamr
Studly Adventurer

go over it front to back and make sure it is perfect and i can rely on it. upgrade some of the componenets like brake line to braided stainless and the oil cooler lines as well. gusset all of the areas that need it and remove everything that does not have to be there. once i have the bike to that stage i will change the color as it has 1 mismatched panel and change the tires and upgrade suspension. once i have ridden it a bit i will better be able to decide what direction to go in from there. it is complete and it runs and drives!

2000 valkyrie interstate
Old 12-31-2008, 11:07 AM   #146
timdog
a.k.a. Josh

Quote:
go over it front to back and make sure it is perfect and i can rely on it. upgrade some of the componenets like brake line to braided stainless and the oil cooler lines as well. gusset all of the areas that need it and remove everything that does not have to be there. once i have the bike to that stage i will change the color as it has 1 mismatched panel and change the tires and upgrade suspension. once i have ridden it a bit i will better be able to decide what direction to go in from there. it is complete and it runs and drives!
Thanks. Just wondering. Some people are going "all out" with their dual sport conversions. Including fork swaps and extended swing arms, etc.

Keep us posted. I love to see the "before" and "after" pics.
Old 12-31-2008, 01:19 PM   #147
roadhamr
Studly Adventurer

well i have been thinking that i could go that way but i am pretty sure that wouldnt really work anyhow. it just isnt the right platform for that kind of conversion. i also looked at what the majority of my riding will be and it will be 97%road and 3% misc surface. that is just the truth. i think we should compile a list of criteria for both bike and rider to look at for a dual sport conversion.
i have some tire questions as well.
reading some articles that say tires like the avon distanzia and others like it are really only marginally better off road than a road tire and only marginally worse on road than a road tire. is this the truth? why bother then?

2000 valkyrie interstate
Old 12-31-2008, 07:35 PM   #148
timdog
a.k.a. Josh

Quote:
well i have been thinking that i could go that way but i am pretty sure that wouldnt really work anyhow. it just isnt the right platform for that kind of conversion. i also looked at what the majority of my riding will be and it will be 97%road and 3% misc surface. that is just the truth. i think we should compile a list of criteria for both bike and rider to look at for a dual sport conversion.

Good point. If I ride my street bike down a gravel road does it become a dual sport? Do I have to ride it into the woods until I get it stuck? If I make cosmetic changes only (high front fender, hand guards, etc) but do nothing to make it more dirt worthy (suspension, etc) have I dual sported it?
Old 12-31-2008, 10:42 PM   #149
motu
Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer: 4,433
I have set my R65 up for gravel roads,no intention of taking it off road...I have other bikes to do that.I have fitted flattrack bars and Dunlop K70 tyres,as used by flattracker's in the '60's/70's.This is far better than a dual sport dirt bike with adventure tyres on gravel.The low CoG and more balanced weight distribution make the bike a dream to slide.The narrow section tyres on low pressure cut through the gravel and give superb traction - I really have to try to get wheelspin,and there are no brake slides into corners,something that my dual sport dirt bikes always did.The front wheel is so planted that today I was taking corners out of the wheel tracks and in the thick stuff...powering out of corners.Better than any knob I've used....and good enough for serious lean angles on seal.Next will come some crash bars,small screen and streettracker seat.

motu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 09:34 PM   #150
grinder96
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,306
Went to our local New Years Norton bike meet (all bikes are welcome) and stumbled on to this!

Thought of this thread immediatly!!

grinder96 is offline   Reply With Quote