User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2009, 11:31 AM   #151
Elvis70
No speed traps in the sky

Oddometer: 5,056
Pretty darn cool

I like it but I wouldn' venture too far offroad into the booneys on an old harley without a darn good pair of walking shoes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinder96
Went to our local New Years Norton bike meet (all bikes are welcome) and stumbled on to this!

Thought of this thread immediatly!!

Elvis70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 12:58 PM   #152
roadhamr
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by motu
I have set my R65 up for gravel roads,no intention of taking it off road...I have other bikes to do that.I have fitted flattrack bars and Dunlop K70 tyres,as used by flattracker's in the '60's/70's.This is far better than a dual sport dirt bike with adventure tyres on gravel.The low CoG and more balanced weight distribution make the bike a dream to slide.The narrow section tyres on low pressure cut through the gravel and give superb traction - I really have to try to get wheelspin,and there are no brake slides into corners,something that my dual sport dirt bikes always did.The front wheel is so planted that today I was taking corners out of the wheel tracks and in the thick stuff...powering out of corners.Better than any knob I've used....and good enough for serious lean angles on seal.Next will come some crash bars,small screen and streettracker
this is what i am talikng about! does anyone have any more info on these tires? i wont be venturing far off of any gravel 99% of the time.

2000 valkyrie interstate
roadhamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 04:05 PM   #153
motu
Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer: 4,431
I know I'm going to have a hard job convincing people that these old street tyres are better than knobs or adventure tyres....I mean it's obvious just to look at them that they are going to slide all over the place.They are a very soft compound,and the carcass is designed to flex with lower pressures and put more rubber down than it appears.I run 20/25psi,and in this photo of my front tyre you can see how the rows of blocks are touching each other in corners - at full lean it's not on those narrow side blocks,but on both rows,a much bigger footprint than you expect.Unlike a wider profile tyre where there is a smaller contact patch,and gravel gets under the side knobs,this whole tyre gets down to the base....there are no side knobs to lift it up.

I would have preferred Dunlop K180 flattrack tyres,these are DOT and available in various sizes (you can get 130/80x18),and I had a 21in K180 on my XT600.They are cheaper than the K70 too.....the K70 is a ''vintage'' tyre,and has a very modern price.

motu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 04:53 PM   #154
roadhamr
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by motu
I know I'm going to have a hard job convincing people that these old street tyres are better than knobs or adventure tyres....I mean it's obvious just to look at them that they are going to slide all over the place.They are a very soft compound,and the carcass is designed to flex with lower pressures and put more rubber down than it appears.I run 20/25psi,and in this photo of my front tyre you can see how the rows of blocks are touching each other in corners - at full lean it's not on those narrow side blocks,but on both rows,a much bigger footprint than you expect.Unlike a wider profile tyre where there is a smaller contact patch,and gravel gets under the side knobs,this whole tyre gets down to the base....there are no side knobs to lift it up.

I would have preferred Dunlop K180 flattrack tyres,these are DOT and available in various sizes (you can get 130/80x18),and I had a 21in K180 on my XT600.They are cheaper than the K70 too.....the K70 is a ''vintage'' tyre,and has a very modern price.

how soft is soft? do they stand up to wear on road very well? perhaps a good street tire is just a better plan for me with some practice riding on gravel. i have some great gravel roads right around my home so i could easily set up a course and ride it and practice. this sounds more reasonable to me.

2000 valkyrie interstate
Old 01-02-2009, 06:30 PM   #155
motu
Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer: 4,431
The two important things are compound and profile - they grip well because they are soft....if you have hard tyres they aren't going to hook up as well.The profile is close to a 2in radius...have a wider arc on the tyre and they won't get down into the gravel.The TT100 would be better on seal,the K70 is far better on gravel.

There are 3 tyres to use on gravel -
The K180 dirttrack tyre
The K70
Competition trials tyre....last generation like a Michelin X

All three have a soft compound and carcass flex.
motu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 09:27 AM   #156
roadhamr
Studly Adventurer

what about handguards and some of the other components. i was thinking i would like to mount a spotlight or foglight set up. any recomendations.

2000 valkyrie interstate
Old 01-04-2009, 11:30 AM   #157
roadhamr
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly
How about a Lite ADV conversion of a Nighthawk 750 ... Its been dubed the "Wee-Hawk".

Handguards from a Suzuki DL1000, Heated Grips, Avon Distanzia Tires, and all new Proggresive Suspension all the way around.
(Im still working on more stuff for it)
are those handguards stock for a DL1000? what kind of heated grips are you using. and can you show pics of the mounts you made for the saddlebags?

2000 valkyrie interstate
Old 01-05-2009, 06:00 AM   #158
chuckklr04
Banned

Oddometer: 4,612
Can you put dual sports tires on a older ninja 250?
chuckklr04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 08:55 AM   #159
roadhamr
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trampstampgirl
Can you put dual sports tires on a older ninja 250?
sure what sizes are your tires now on your ninja? just find a manufacturer who makes that size. you can put whatever tire you want on whatever bike you want just know it wont behave on road the same anymore with those tires on it. oh by the way, i love your handle

2000 valkyrie interstate
Old 01-05-2009, 01:17 PM   #160
BENRON
I'm Mr. Crabtree

Oddometer: 3,579
Superhawk 996 conversion

Here's my winter project- Turning a wrecked superhawk into a KTM superenduro wannabe for less than $1500.

Its getting to the point of no return now-- Meaning that if I take it much further Im going to have to start buying expensive stuff. Its all held together with twine and zipties right now.

Current issues-
1- Limited steering angle. It looks like I'll be lucky to get 30 degrees out of it. My KLX and my brother's DR have about 45.

2- 21" front doesnt hit the engine under full compression, but does if you turn the steering while its under full compression. Might go to a 19" if I can find one cheap. Only need about an inch or so, Maybe I can limit the travel of the WP 48's?

3- Theres some exhaust-suspension interference with the rear jacked up... Would be easy to go to a single rear pipe, But might knock some HP off the top end

4- Would like to have a 18" rear wheel, But having trouble finding a cheap one with a cush drive that looks like it will stand up to some abuse(100+ rwp). Considering running the KLX or KLR650 unit I have and seeing how quickly the spokes all rip out. KTM LC8 wheels are hard to find on fleabay and I don't want to break the budget.
BENRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 02:48 PM   #161
clapped_r6
The Spoad Warrior

Oddometer: 2,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by benp1981

Awesome
Old 01-05-2009, 04:02 PM   #162
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,709
It looks amazing and very promising!
Do you have issues of severe top-heaviness? As far as you can tell now at least. The travel up front can definately be limited, i guess some spacers at the right place would do the job.
Also, without wanting to be a smarty, its torque that fatigues spokes, not power. Having that in mind, I would suggest to look for a rear wheel from a dr800, which is not shy on the torque side either. They are very sturdy with a nice big cush drive in the center.

edit: the dr800 back wheel is 17" but a god set of spokes and an 18 rim wont be that expensive,i hope
mousitsas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 04:12 PM   #163
BENRON
I'm Mr. Crabtree

Oddometer: 3,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by mousitsas
It looks amazing and very promising!
Do you have issues of severe top-heaviness?
Seems pretty light rolling it around the garage... Will have to weigh it sometime, But the stock VTR1000F had a dry weight of 425 lbs and curb of 474 lbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousitsas
I would suggest to look for a rear wheel from a dr800
Unfortuneatly, the DR Big wasnt available on this side of the pond... 18" Harley wheels are a dime a dozen, But no cush drives. Was hoping for a cheap metric cruiser wheel with one, But finding an 18" is proving challenging. I suppose I could lace something, But how are you supposed to find spokes for something like that?
BENRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 04:21 PM   #164
Big Toe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 217
Quote:
Unfortuneatly, the DR Big wasnt available on this side of the pond... 18" Harley wheels are a dime a dozen, But no cush drives. Was hoping for a cheap metric cruiser wheel with one, But finding an 18" is proving challenging. I suppose I could lace something, But how are you supposed to find spokes for something like that?
Buchanan spokes could help you. Tell them what hub your using and what hoop and they'll send you the correct spokes. Very good service and quality.

http://www.buchananspokes.net/
Big Toe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 04:22 PM   #165
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,709
Quote:
Have a look on ebay, sooner or later you will find something, i am sure, especially the german one, its infested by dr800 parts.

Not talking by experience on that one, but a wheel builder once told me that you can find spokes for anything!
mousitsas is online now   Reply With Quote