Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2009, 07:18 PM   #226
Jakeway
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis70
I like it but I wouldn' venture too far offroad into the booneys on an old harley without a darn good pair of walking shoes.
Have you had trouble with a Harley before? That Sporty could be as new as 2003 (they went with rubber mount in 2004) and I had over 18,000 on my 2001 Sporty with no mechanical troubles.

I'd LOVE a customized dirt Sporty. I don't know any details on these, I just got the pics on line somewhere.

Jakeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 09:22 PM   #227
DonD
Retired guy

Oddometer: 204
WingThing '79 GL1000 w/sidecar

RIP..

WingThing morphed into Booger, same sidecar now doing Jeep duty on a KLR650
DonD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 12:14 AM   #228
Gobnobber
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
some guy in sweden did this...

yeah it's a ducati
Gobnobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 08:16 AM   #229
pennswoodsed
lizards,bugs and me

Oddometer: 704
bump stop ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobnobber
some guy in sweden did this...

yeah it's a ducati

Someone,anyone,Bueller .... ?
Tell me that the rod coming up from radial mount on rt frt brembo is for adjustment,NOT a bump stop ?:eek 1:eek 1
pennswoodsed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 03:44 PM   #230
Willis24
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennswoodsed
Tell me that the rod coming up from radial mount on rt frt brembo is for adjustment
Stock front fender mount.
Old 05-28-2009, 05:36 PM   #231
bwringer
Gimpy, Yet Alacritous

Oddometer: 2,157
Just an update: 4,000+ miles on, the front (rear mounted backwards) still looks nearly new, and sticks very well on pavement and dirt. No strange wear patterns are developing. It howls on the highway same as ever.

I've pushed the bike VERY hard on pavement with no issues. The rear is pretty much toast, and picked up a humongous nail last week on some grungy unnamed gravel goat path in Brown County (or was it Morgan County?). So a replacement is on the way in the form of a Shinko 705.

The rear Distys have increased in price to around $160, which is fuggin' ricockulous IMHO for a tire that evaporates that quickly. So I'm trying out a $70 Shinko 705 rear next and will report back.

The rear still handles wonderfully on pavement, and still hooks up very well in dirt even though the center is nearly on the wear bars. The bike will throw an unholy amount of roost with the slightest blip of the throttle...

The VX has since sprouted a natty set of $17 fork boots and a Sink-no-Bob. I'm a big spender, me.

It already had heated grips, but I'm planning to rig up hand guards of some sort this winter, or maybe just order up a set from a DR650 or Vstrom and make 'em fit.

This is pretty fun, actually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwringer
My VX800 is just starting its transformation into a poor man's Beemer. How many V-twin shafties get to go play in the dirt?

Avon Distanzias -- the front is an oddball size, so it's wearing a 110/80-18 rear tire, mounted backwards. The rear is a 17" rim, so I chose a 140/80-17. The stock size is 150/70-18, but I think with the "knobs" on the Distys, it wouldn't have fit. The 140 was a pretty tight squeeze.

Since these photos, I've raised the front fender. I need to extend the rear fender, too.

The Distanzias handle beautifully on pavement, and have even better traction than I had hoped for in dirt, gravel, and mud. Plus, they look really cool. The front is somewhat noisy on pavement, but works great.

The radiator has a grille, but I'd like to make something a little more robust, at least for the lower half. The bottom of the engine is actually protected pretty well by the frame. I'd like to come up with some hand guards, more for wind protection than anything else. As far as luggage, I'm happy with soft bags.

As with any street bike, it's rather heavy and the suspension doesn't really have the travel for serious dirt work. But just changing the tires extended the VX800's mission profile considerably, and adding some rock protection will give me some peace of mind.

The bike seems to handle quite well on loose surfaces -- it has a more kicked-out head angle than most standards, and the torquey v-twin plonks along quite well on dirt roads, but is also happy to throw a nice rooster tail when appropriate...
"Do not crinkle your food wrappers loudly. Be considerate to others, or I will bite your torso and give you a disease."
bwringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 12:32 AM   #232
bumblebee1
All bikes are dirt bikes

Oddometer: 1,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwringer
Just an update: 4,000+ miles on, the front (rear mounted backwards) still looks nearly new, and sticks very well on pavement and dirt. No strange wear patterns are developing. It howls on the highway same as ever.

I've pushed the bike VERY hard on pavement with no issues. The rear is pretty much toast, and picked up a humongous nail last week on some grungy unnamed gravel goat path in Brown County (or was it Morgan County?). So a replacement is on the way in the form of a Shinko 705.

The rear Distys have increased in price to around $160, which is fuggin' ricockulous IMHO for a tire that evaporates that quickly. So I'm trying out a $70 Shinko 705 rear next and will report back.

The rear still handles wonderfully on pavement, and still hooks up very well in dirt even though the center is nearly on the wear bars. The bike will throw an unholy amount of roost with the slightest blip of the throttle...

The VX has since sprouted a natty set of $17 fork boots and a Sink-no-Bob. I'm a big spender, me.

It already had heated grips, but I'm planning to rig up hand guards of some sort this winter, or maybe just order up a set from a DR650 or Vstrom and make 'em fit.

This is pretty fun, actually.
I put on a Shinko 244sr at 32psi on the rear and didn't like it at all. It was way too soft for a heavier bike. In curves, the back would just twist on every bump. I thought it was my rear swing arm that was worn and twisting. I guess it would be good on a thumper 250. Not sure if the 705s are the same or if the carcass is sturdier.
I replaced it with a Trail Wing tw42 and just love it. I kept the 244 for the front and it works great. I also keep the front at 20psi and the rear at 24psi. I am going to try a tw302 (dual compound) rear next. This combo and tire pressure seems to handle dirt roads, pavement rain, mud and anything that I've encountered with confidence.
It doesn't need to be as aggressive as those pure motocross tires.
After all, it's a street bike. We just lust to show off our ingenuity and adventurous spirit.
Old 05-29-2009, 12:55 AM   #233
bumblebee1
All bikes are dirt bikes

Oddometer: 1,431
I just saw the 302s and they are made for light 250s. I guess it's back to tw42 or tw52 for me.
Here is their website if needed.

http://www.motorcycle-karttires.com/...?LookupID=Prod

Here's a pic with the tires.
Old 05-30-2009, 08:44 AM   #234
Willis24
Gnarly Adventurer

Found a picture of this Yamaha Fazer

Old 06-16-2009, 01:57 AM   #235
Low594
Adventuring Creep

Oddometer: 1,129
Oh wow! Now I know I am not as wacked out as I thought, with my mods to my '95 Duc SuperSport. I will have to post when I get the motor put back together! This thread is going to be bad for me!
Low594 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 02:12 AM   #236
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,968
that is mad max's NEW bike

i'm not into the custom/shopper thing but that is unreal.
take it to arizona, usa...they'd give you a tag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravehunter
I saw that bike in a mag here a while back. It used to have huge spikes on the tires. They musta got tired of pushing it around with them on there. LOL Its the coolest custom i've seen... even if it is completely usless for anything but looking at.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 12:45 PM   #237
BENRON
I'm Mr. Crabtree

Oddometer: 3,581
Just mocked up the superhawk with a KLX650 front end-

BENRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 02:59 PM   #238
Willis24
Gnarly Adventurer

Will it need a 19" front wheel to avoid a tire strike on full fork compression? You might even consider some custom made triple clamps with more offset to help, plus it sure would help with the turning radius.

It looks to be a great start!
Old 06-26-2009, 03:32 PM   #239
BENRON
I'm Mr. Crabtree

Oddometer: 3,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willis24
Will it need a 19" front wheel to avoid a tire strike on full fork compression? You might even consider some custom made triple clamps with more offset to help, plus it sure would help with the turning radius.

It looks to be a great start!
Yeah, Theres a lot of stuff I COULD do... But I'm hoping to just have the thing on the road and running with minimal effort & cost. Then I can decide if its worthwhile to build up into something really nice and usuable, Keep it for the factor, Or just part it out.
BENRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 08:34 PM   #240
Willis24
Gnarly Adventurer

Ok, but better pull those tiedowns real tight to simulate hard braking... I would hate to hear that you went over the bars when that 21" tire kissed the front cylinder under brake dive!