Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2011, 09:46 PM   #571
ktmklx
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by eternalRider View Post
My bike was just stolen on friday evening in live oak santa cruz California this is what it looked like I was in the middle of the conversion. I had just got the suspension on and had just worked out the spacing wheel and calliper had way to much work into this bike for it to get stolen. its a ninja 250 plus look at it who would think to steal this you can bearly tell what it is.
That is to bad about your bike being stolen, scumbags.
ktmklx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:03 AM   #572
JonSolo
n00b

Oddometer: 1

I've had that same idea. What about that rear tire clearance?

[/QUOTE]
JonSolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 03:22 PM   #573
Ken in Regina
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Looks like at least 6 inches of clearance. Betcha those shocks have a screamin' 3.5" of travel!!

...ken...
Ken in Regina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 12:29 PM   #574
mpnoffi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by rattonshaw View Post
I really like the conversion and look forward to seeing more updates. I toyed with the idea of converting a 500 Savage for long distance trials some while ago. The engine looks ideal, a big single with clean lines so the dirt has few crevices to stick in. However, the things that put me off were the belt drive and relocating the footrests.

Where did you source the sprockets from?

Have you solved the problem of the footrest position and brake and gear lever linkages?

Good luck with the build.
The Sprockets are from JT Sprockets, but are available many other places. I found them VERY cheap on ebay. The front is a JTF513.16 (16 tooth) and the rear is a JTR816.52 (52 tooth). They are replacements for the 1980 GS550 with Cast wheels as well as a ton of other UJM's by most manufacturers. I gave about 20 bucks each for front and rear. They take a standard 530 chain. The only other part you will need is 2 1" washers to use as a spacer on the front sprocket. No other mods necessary.

There is a company called Ryca Motors that makes a set of "rearsets" for a cafe conversion kit on these bikes that can be moved forward a bit. That is the only option that I have come up with so far for the pegs. I may just end up fabbing somthing from scratch.

Thanks!
Noffi
Old 03-26-2011, 12:35 PM   #575
mpnoffi
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonSolo View Post

I've had that same idea. What about that rear tire clearance?

[/QUOTE]

Well...it fits...technically. I just dont have much room for chain adjustment. These tires are 26.5". 26" would have been perfect. There two ways that I can think of to address this. I can
1. cut a section out where it rubs and weld in a cap
or
2. lengthen the swingarm.

I'll probably lengthen the swingarm. Any other ideas?
Old 03-26-2011, 12:47 PM   #576
mpnoffi
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken in Regina View Post
Looks like at least 6 inches of clearance. Betcha those shocks have a screamin' 3.5" of travel!!

...ken...
You are correct sir! The plan is to mount the new tank (78 xs750) and the new seat (07 Triumph Bonnie) much higher, giving me a new spot for a top mount for the shocks. This will allow me to run longer shocks, at an angle that is more perpendicular to the ground.
Here is a weak mock up pic...

The only hang up that I am having right now is a little chain clearance concern at the pivot point of the swingarm. I'm open for suggestions here too!

Any thoughts? A Delrin chain slider maybe?
Old 03-26-2011, 01:51 PM   #577
AK Oldman
WANDRN

Oddometer: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpnoffi View Post
... A Delrin chain slider maybe?
That was my first thought when I saw the close up pic.
AK Oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 08:50 PM   #578
Ken in Regina
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
The only hang up that I am having right now is a little chain clearance concern at the pivot point of the swingarm. I'm open for suggestions here too!

Any thoughts? A Delrin chain slider maybe?
That's what they put on dirt bikes. My DRZ400SM has one. Seems to be the way to go.

...ken...
Ken in Regina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 03:51 PM   #579
Keith
Slabbing it

Oddometer: 890
How big of a front sprocket can you run? That will allow you to use a bigger rear sprocket and keep the chain away from the swingarm, cause it will rub through that plastic.
Old 03-27-2011, 04:14 PM   #580
Byrdman
Fat guy on a little bike!

Oddometer: 346
Is that rear wheel shown in the lowest position? If you're going to go after more travel, the rear wheel will actually sit even lower and chain clearance will be an even bigger issue.

Can you drop the swingarm pivot down? Are cutting, welding, and fabricating and option?
Byrdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 08:49 PM   #581
mpnoffi
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
How big of a front sprocket can you run? That will allow you to use a bigger rear sprocket and keep the chain away from the swingarm, cause it will rub through that plastic.
17 tooth is the biggest front that will fit. That is a 16 tooth on there now. The rear is a 52 which is the biggest available. The 16/52 sprocket combination plus the 9.5% larger diameter rear tire takes it back to stock gearing. This leaves me a 15/52 option for stump pulling and a 17/52 option for highway cruising if I so choose...assuming that I can get it all to fit. Good thought though...Thanks!
Old 03-27-2011, 09:00 PM   #582
mpnoffi
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdman View Post
Is that rear wheel shown in the lowest position? If you're going to go after more travel, the rear wheel will actually sit even lower and chain clearance will be an even bigger issue.

Can you drop the swingarm pivot down? Are cutting, welding, and fabricating and option?
Yep...unfortunately. The stock Savage came with...get ready for this... 10" shocks! These are 12.5" shocks left over from another project that I'm using just for mock up purposes to get the stance correct. I'm glad of this too..becuase like you have suggested here, I don't think I have any other options other than lowering the pivot point on the swingarm mount. The part that sucks is that I'll have to pay a shop to do it for me. This is out of my league. I'm full of bright ideas, but no skills!

The original plan was to drop the front 2" and raise the rear 2.5" plus the added height of the tire would give me pretty close to the same rake/trail as the Triumph Bonnie.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:16 AM   #583
rattonshaw
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Quote:
Yep...unfortunately. The stock Savage came with...get ready for this... 10" shocks! These are 12.5" shocks left over from another project that I'm using just for mock up purposes to get the stance correct. I'm glad of this too..becuase like you have suggested here, I don't think I have any other options other than lowering the pivot point on the swingarm mount. The part that sucks is that I'll have to pay a shop to do it for me. This is out of my league. I'm full of bright ideas, but no skills!

The original plan was to drop the front 2" and raise the rear 2.5" plus the added height of the tire would give me pretty close to the same rake/trail as the Triumph Bonnie.
I'm in agreement with AK Oldman and Ken, fit a chain slider (preferably off the shelf from another model). A chain slider'll more than cope with the angle you'll have at the swinging arm. The worst you'll have to do with a chain slider that was intended for a box section swinging arm is fabricate a flat section above and below the swinging arm pivot for the slider to sit against. The chain slider on my trail-converted GS500 has done over 4,000 miles and is still ok. Similarly, my XR400 has done over 16,000 miles and that is still ok.

As to moving the pivot point for the swinging arm; that's a load of potential grief.
Old 03-29-2011, 01:36 PM   #584
DUALATP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
These Bikes that are on this Thread are amazing...thanks for posting all these "Creations"...

ATP's Termiter...
DUALATP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 03:03 PM   #585
JagLite
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,093
Thumb Chain clearance

Custom rear sprocket is not expensive.
See: sidewindersprockets.com/custom.html and/or others.

I would figure what final gearing you want and use the 17 front sprocket as that will give you the max clearance at reasonable cost.

Another alternative is to weld up a (strong!) mount for another sprocket or chain roller above the swing arm bolt. I believe ATK had a similar set up that maintained proper chain tension through the entire range of motion. Something to look into perhaps?

You mentioned relocating the upper shock mounts to be able to use longer shocks. Good. Also relocate them farther forward to give more travel at the axle. This will require cutting, modifying the frame, and welding. Mounting them more vertical will limit you to both the max length of shock as well as the max travel will be whatever the shock has. By laying the shocks down you can get some increase of travel. Ideally you could relocate the lower shock mounts on the swing arm farther forward too. Depends on how much travel you want. And your welding ability or budget.

Another option is to fit a swing arm and single shock linkage from another bike, perhaps the DR650? Should be "fairly" easy to find a used set up without great expense. Or any other single shock bike for that matter.

Certainly chain rollers or Delrin or other UHMW guide to protect the swing arm.

I recommend Works Performance for shocks as they can help you figure what will work best for you design, riding plans and weight. Or you can go budget and pick up stock ATV front shocks off a fairly new model MX ATV and see how they work. That's what I did for my VTX1800 all-road bike build. (which may be dead in the water as it is going to require too much modification to the frame to get any steering clearance for the Husky USD front end I bought for it)

Keep up the good work! Looks like it will be a fun and unique scooter!
James
JagLite is online now   Reply With Quote