User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2008, 06:25 PM   #46
MajorDuc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
It seems alot folks just are not Nighthawk fans

Very nice job Richard. A lot of us got started riding when a CB750 was the pinnacle of motorcycle technology and performance value. We still have fond memories of the Honda 750, we just lose perspective from time to time when playing with our new toys. No apologies needed from any biker as far as I'm concerned, if it has two wheels and a motor I will have fun on it, and that is the most important thing about riding!
2006 V-Strom 650
1998 Triumph Thunderbird Sport/Speed Triple hybrid
2000 Super Sherpa KL250
MajorDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 06:39 PM   #47
Orpheus
more like fool sport

Oddometer: 505
In progress. Still a lot of suspension work to be done, plus some instrumentation modifications. 2006 Triumph Bonneville T100.

Orpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 05:41 AM   #48
Ackme
talented fool

Oddometer: 437
Major Duc..+1

ack

"nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool"
Ackme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 06:36 AM   #49
D.T.
One wheel wonder...

Oddometer: 9,595
Not quite as much as putting knobbies on a sportbike, but I am putting Pro Tapers on my SV. Gold Woods Low. I'm getting some DL handguards possibly and DL master cylinders for the bars. Winter project.
Attached Images

D.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 08:24 AM   #50
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.T.
I'm getting some DL handguards possibly and DL master cylinders for the bars.
Why? There are much better choices out there. The DL master cylinder (front) especially are low tech, low dollar stuff.
Old 11-18-2008, 08:41 AM   #51
Deadly
Asphalt Adventurer!

Oddometer: 1,522
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorDuc
...........A lot of us got started riding when a CB750 was the pinnacle of motorcycle technology and performance value. We still have fond memories of the Honda 750, we just lose perspective from time to time when playing with our new toys. .........

I'll buy that.

I have seen a Honda Sabre conversion on this board somewhere that totally ROCKS! I'm suprised it has not made it to this thread yet.
IBA #14873
02' Nighthawk 750
My Website
Deadly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 12:34 PM   #52
timdog
a.k.a. Josh

Oddometer: 617
I am in the process of dual sporting my 1984 Honda 650 Nighthawk. Mostly just removing extra weight, and doing cosmetic changes. Does anybody know of a tubeless tire combo for 16 and 19 inch cast rims? I see that bridgestone makes a set of trailwings for the stock Honda NX250. Any reason these wouldn't work? Any other suggestions? I don't want to swap out rims.

Thanks. And I will post pics when it is clsoer to being done.
timdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 05:59 PM   #53
Round-I-Go
I won the Pullet Surprise

Oddometer: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by timdog
I am in the process of dual sporting my 1984 Honda 650 Nighthawk. Mostly just removing extra weight, and doing cosmetic changes. Does anybody know of a tubeless tire combo for 16 and 19 inch cast rims? I see that bridgestone makes a set of trailwings for the stock Honda NX250. Any reason these wouldn't work? Any other suggestions? I don't want to swap out rims.

IMHO, you'd be better off finding a tire designed for a bike that is closer to the weight of your Nighthawk. The Bridgestone for a 250 may be a liitle wimpy for the 650's power and the speed it's capable of, even though it will fit the 16/19" rims. But then , you may have difficulty finding a 16"er Dual Sport tire with a heavier weight rating, I'm not sure.

The best solution, especially if you plan on any off-roading other than fireroads, etc, is to go 19" front and 17" or 18" rear on spoked rims, way better for off-road than cast rims and the tire choices are much greater ... but that costs money, too ...

And yes, we'd love 2C the pics!

Just my $.02...

"Road?...Where we're going, we don't neeeed roads." - Doc Brown

"The brave may not live forever, but the cautious do not live at all." - Sir Richard Branson

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right" - Henry Ford

Round-I-Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 06:32 PM   #54
Deadly
Asphalt Adventurer!

Quote:

What exact tire size's do you need?

Roundigo is probably right if you want to go hardcore, but if you are like me you have to use what you got or else we might as well have went out and bought a GS or something. I never intended to do any serious off roading with the WeeHawk, just some gravel and dirt back roads.
The original tires that came on my Nighthawk were highspeed rated Dunlop K505's. Now that I have switched to Avon Distanzias my front tire is only rated for 113mph. I never spent much time in the tripple digits anyway so its all good.

Im shopping for a new set of black mirrors tonight...
IBA #14873
02' Nighthawk 750
My Website
Old 11-24-2008, 07:06 PM   #55
timdog
a.k.a. Josh

Oddometer: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roundigo
IMHO, you'd be better off finding a tire designed for a bike that is closer to the weight of your Nighthawk. The Bridgestone for a 250 may be a liitle wimpy for the 650's power and the speed it's capable of, even though it will fit the 16/19" rims. But then , you may have difficulty finding a 16"er Dual Sport tire with a heavier weight rating, I'm not sure.

The best solution, especially if you plan on any off-roading other than fireroads, etc, is to go 19" front and 17" or 18" rear on spoked rims, way better for off-road than cast rims and the tire choices are much greater ... but that costs money, too ...

And yes, we'd love 2C the pics!

Just my $.02...
Good point about the weight issue. The Nx250 is listed at 293 lbs. The Nighthawk is listed at 469 lbs.

I am not willing to invest the time or money in switching rims at this point. Not sure how I would do it anyways being shaft drive. I don't really plan on riding this bike on anything rougher than the occasional gravel road, or a very short distance off-road to get to a camping spot or something. The tires that are on it would serve me well for what I am doing. I guess I am a poser, because I want tires that "look" more aggressive.

I was just wondering what my options were. I might go for the Avon Distanzias.

Edit: I just looked, I don't think they make a Distanzia in 16 in. Any other ideas?

Thanks.

timdog screwed with this post 11-24-2008 at 07:14 PM
timdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 10:23 PM   #56
Round-I-Go
I won the Pullet Surprise

Oddometer: 499
Quote:
I am not willing to invest the time or money in switching rims at this point. Not sure how I would do it anyways being shaft drive. I don't really plan on riding this bike on anything rougher than the occasional gravel road, or a very short distance off-road to get to a camping spot or something. The tires that are on it would serve me well for what I am doing. I guess I am a poser, because I want tires that "look" more aggressive.

I was just wondering what my options were. I might go for the Avon Distanzias.

Edit: I just looked, I don't think they make a Distanzia in 16 in. Any other ideas?

Thanks.
timdog, I went onto www.motorcycle-superstore.com to see what I could see under Dual Sport. I didn't see the Distanzia in 16" either, but I doubt if any one source has the exhaustive list of everything available. I did find a Duro rear in 16", though. Below is the link to that page... only problem is no matching 19" front, only 21". It's the only other tire I saw in 16" other than the Bridgestone for the NX250. Arrrrg! Maybe someone knows if it will work as the choices seem to be so limited.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/29/393/14941/ITEM/Duro-HF-904-Median-Dual-Sport-Rear-Tire.aspx

There has to be a solution ... ? I'm somewhat of a poser mentality too at this point, gotta love the agressive look! Maybe someone else has the answer from personal experience ... ?

"Road?...Where we're going, we don't neeeed roads." - Doc Brown

"The brave may not live forever, but the cautious do not live at all." - Sir Richard Branson

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right" - Henry Ford

Round-I-Go screwed with this post 11-25-2008 at 09:33 AM
Round-I-Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 02:31 AM   #57
Oilboiler

Oddometer: 394
K75GS must be one of the best known conversions

A mad Frenchman even did Dakar rally with one

Oilboiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 05:01 PM   #58
Motorcycleman900
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Tire sizes

I saw the Avon tires you put on the Wee Hawk, and wanted to know what sizes were you using front and rear. Did you bump the rear up to a 150? Also did you notice any adverse effects by running a rear tire on the front of your bike. I know typically a rear tire is a flatter profile design than the front. I am getting ready for a trip to Alaska and beyond this summer on my 1992 Nighthawk, and wanted a more agressive set of tires than the stock ones. How many miles can I expect out of the Avons on my Nighthawk? Thanks for the help!

"Don't Die Wondering"
Motorcycleman900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 08:14 AM   #59
Gravehunter
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 753
1979 Suzuki GS 750. I bought it for $300 cause nobody wanted the "touring verson" of this bike.
Changed it over to the pic below.
the original owner liked it so much that when i bought my V-strom he bought it back from me.

From this:

To This:

Old 12-09-2008, 01:28 PM   #60
Deadly
Asphalt Adventurer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcycleman900
I saw the Avon tires you put on the Wee Hawk, and wanted to know what sizes were you using front and rear. Did you bump the rear up to a 150? Also did you notice any adverse effects by running a rear tire on the front of your bike. I know typically a rear tire is a flatter profile design than the front. I am getting ready for a trip to Alaska and beyond this summer on my 1992 Nighthawk, and wanted a more agressive set of tires than the stock ones. How many miles can I expect out of the Avons on my Nighthawk? Thanks for the help!

The avon tire combo is working great and I have not seen any adverse effects at all. Yes, I went with the 150 for the rear but next time I may try the taller 140 bias ply tire because the front bias ply tire has about twice the tread depth as the rear radial Im currently using.
IBA #14873
02' Nighthawk 750
My Website