Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-23-2008, 01:51 PM   #106
ZappBranigan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadhamr
i wonder if you got to know your local bike scrap guy if he would let you try to find a replacement wheel that is 17 inches? that would fit?
As my bike is a shafty I don't think that would be practical (read: Cost effective.)
ZappBranigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 01:55 PM   #107
roadhamr
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by timdog
I don't think you can lengthen forks very easily. It will involve machining a new part. Either the top or bottom leg. most people adapt a set off of another bike. I just moved mine all the way down in the clamps. For the type of riding I plan to do, I figured stock fork with stock internals were close enough.

If you really have a 16 inch rear wheel, you are very limited in your choices. So far I have only found the trailwing. The other suggestions I got were either discontnued or not available in the U.S. The trailwing you need is the stock replacment tire for the Honda Nx250, if that helps. It is also a tube type tire. I am not sure if it is advisable to use this or not. I am hesitant to try it, until I hear from some other people.

A higher exhaust system would go a long way towards completing the look. But unless you plan to go through deep water, I don't know of any real advantage. I am keeping my low mufflers to make it easier on the passenger and easier to mount luggage.
you could also if you develop a relationship with your wrecker try a few different stock forks off of a few bikes. again take a measure of your forks outer diameter and length and then go and check a few out at the the wrecking yard see if you can find anything. when i lived out west i used to take stuff home and try to fit it and if it did i would buy it and return the stuff that didnt. i removed the parts myself and then cataloged them for the guy so he got a pretty good deal and i got the parts i wanted and i tried out some others as well.

2000 valkyrie interstate
roadhamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 01:58 PM   #108
roadhamr
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZappBranigan
As my bike is a shafty I don't think that would be practical (read: Cost effective.)
why? if you were to find a wheel that came off of another shaft driven bike that shared the same output shaft specs, which there is a good chance with kawi stuff you will. and mounted the same way but gave you the wheel size you were looking for why wouldnt you buy it and why wouldnt he sell it to you. these old bike parts are not expensive used. they have already been sitting around for awhile. anyways it is just a suggestion.

2000 valkyrie interstate

roadhamr screwed with this post 12-23-2008 at 03:13 PM
Old 12-23-2008, 02:50 PM   #109
Deadly
Asphalt Adventurer!

Oddometer: 1,522
Quote:
What about mounting tube type tires on tubeless rims? Can this cause a problem?

I have no idea.
IBA #14873
02' Nighthawk 750
My Website
Deadly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 03:35 PM   #110
ZappBranigan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 467
Quote:
why? if you were to find a wheel that came off of another shaft driven bike that shared the same output shaft specs, which there is a good chance with kawi stuff you will. and mounted the same way but gave you the wheel size you were looking for why wouldnt you buy it and why wouldnt he sell it to you. these old bike parts are not expensive used. they have already been sitting around for awhile. anyways it is just a suggestion.
I understand and I appreciate the advice. Just remember I'm trying to keep this as cheap and simple as possible. The bike is basically a "beater" that I got 2 years ago for $800. It's served me well but I'll probably get a nicer bike soon (looking at a Triumph Scrambler.) My thought was that since some of these parts need replacing anyway (tires, shocks, fork seals, etc) it might be fun to do a mild "dual sport" conversion in much the way that Deadly's Nighthawk was done. Anything that requires a lot of effort or a lot of money would sort of defeat the whole purpose of my exercise.

Honestly, tires and new fork springs and rear shocks would probably do everything I need to do. After that, I can just rattlecan the tank, side covers and fenders in flat black for the "lone biker of the apocalypse" look and leave it at that.
ZappBranigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 06:57 PM   #111
timdog
a.k.a. Josh

Oddometer: 621
Quote:
I understand and I appreciate the advice. Just remember I'm trying to keep this as cheap and simple as possible. The bike is basically a "beater" that I got 2 years ago for $800. It's served me well but I'll probably get a nicer bike soon (looking at a Triumph Scrambler.) My thought was that since some of these parts need replacing anyway (tires, shocks, fork seals, etc) it might be fun to do a mild "dual sport" conversion in much the way that Deadly's Nighthawk was done. Anything that requires a lot of effort or a lot of money would sort of defeat the whole purpose of my exercise.

Honestly, tires and new fork springs and rear shocks would probably do everything I need to do. After that, I can just rattlecan the tank, side covers and fenders in flat black for the "lone biker of the apocalypse" look and leave it at that.
That's where I am at also. I paid $1000 for the bike. I don't want to spend a lot of money trying to make it into a Triumph Scrambler. I am reluctant to even spend money on tires, because the street tires that are on it are in pretty good shape.
timdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 06:38 AM   #112
Willis24
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 335
This old KZ is featured somewhere here on ADV
Old 12-24-2008, 09:26 AM   #113
roadhamr
Studly Adventurer

Quote:

that sounds good too. just ideas man that is what this thread is all about. i am thinking of doing a mild dual sport conversion on a 1981 gs1100e. i have been kicking around optionsand looking for a donor bike. keep this thread alive it gets me going! more pics pls!

2000 valkyrie interstate
Old 12-24-2008, 11:05 AM   #114
Round-I-Go
I won the Pullet Surprise

Oddometer: 499
Quote:
What about mounting tube type tires on tubeless rims? Can this cause a problem?
I don't think this is a problem at all, though I haven't done it myself. The problem is tubeless tires on spoke rims that are not sealed. With tubes, it shouldn't matter either way because the tubes do the sealing.

"Road?...Where we're going, we don't neeeed roads." - Doc Brown

"The brave may not live forever, but the cautious do not live at all." - Sir Richard Branson

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right" - Henry Ford

Round-I-Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 08:26 PM   #115
xDownSetx
U WOT M8?

Oddometer: 114
Quote:
i am really enjoying this thread! seeing the creativity and imagination that has been displayed here is awesome. it makes me think that maybe i ought to be looking harder at building my own bike. as i have the skills, and i have the imagination. i also dont think i will be riding that hardcore. fireroads and gravel would be the worst of it. i think a streetbike adapted would probably be better spent money aspecially in these times. i feel like i have a new lease on things. anyone ever tried to convert something big like a gs1100e?
Maybe I'll move my TKC's to my gs and have a plate welded to the headers

Will deff. need to replace the stock suspension and block off the anti dive units.
xDownSetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 08:05 AM   #116
timdog
a.k.a. Josh

Oddometer: 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by xDownSetx
Maybe I'll move my TKC's to my gs and have a plate welded to the headers

Will deff. need to replace the stock suspension and block off the anti dive units.

I have never ridden a bike with an anti dive front end off road. What will it do?
timdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 09:09 AM   #117
apeirce
So I was following Andrew

Oddometer: 2,722
I'm still getting my head around some of these. I've always been of the camp to start with something small and light and see what can be done to make them street legal, not the other way around.

I love the creativity and that fact that people will try things, so big admiration for that.

Y'all should look to hillclimb bikes for inspiration.

Here a BMW 800 twin with 2wd:

http://www.gizmag.com/bmw-2wd/9619/
Old 12-26-2008, 02:57 PM   #118
Oilboiler

Oddometer: 394
BMW K100 converted to Scrambler: http://ottonero.blogspot.com/2008/12/skrambler.html

Oilboiler screwed with this post 12-26-2008 at 03:05 PM
Oilboiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 04:55 PM   #119
Beerslayer
Journeyman Bike Knocker

Oddometer: 3,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by metlcutr55
its all a state of mind. my valk lists bayley hazen road, puppy dog ride and some much tougher stuff around plymouth state park in vt, sandwich notch road in nh, rt 630 from canterbury south in new brunswick, and many miles of gravel and dirt amongst her "kills"

Nice! I have always wanted a Valkyrie. I was thinking to put knobbies on one so that I don't need to stop where the gravel starts. I have seen some ratted out Goldwings that gave me the idea.

Do you run only street tires on your Valk?
Beerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 09:36 PM   #120
~wsrock~
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
No knobby tires shown here but lots of gravel roads and snowy mountain passes underfoot in North America and all over Europe. An R850R Atlanta with a bunch of GS 1100 goodies added on. Custom rear rack for the GS trunk, GS bash plate, custom steel fog lamp brackets, 3-steel camera mounts, GS hand guards, raised seat, tweaked rear shock, dual 12v outlets for heated gear, remote mounted power fore and aft, heated grips, and more. Single track, no. Fire roads, no. 80% of the terrain in the ride report section, yes. Decent ground clearance. 2-up fine for weeks at a time. Ride with buddies' DL650, 950 Adventure, and a GS1200 fine. Lead the pack of local Ducati's and R1's in show-and-tell-follow-me-routes. So I guess by default dual sporting in a broad way. Probably weighs the same as a GSA1200.

~wsrock~ is offline   Reply With Quote