Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2012, 10:07 AM   #1186
Whereabouts
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchG View Post
Ride_Safe

Can you expand on how you accomplished the cable extensions? Just starting a CBR125 build.
Please share any pics you can as you go. I'm anxious to see what you come up with.
Old 05-20-2012, 10:42 AM   #1187
MitchG
Iron Collector

Oddometer: 440
Thanks Guys! Will do with pics but it will be a while as I've got 3 bikes in the works right now and as you know, waiting for parts to arrive in Canada does take a bit of time.
Old 05-20-2012, 11:14 AM   #1188
Ride_Safe
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchG View Post
waiting for parts to arrive in Canada does take a bit of time.
God damn, I know exactly how you feel.

It took 3 weeks to do my little project, but the vast majority of it was me sitting around waiting for stuff to be shipped. I probably spent a total of 8 hours total working on the bike, and the rest of the time waiting for parts to arrive.
Ride_Safe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 03:41 PM   #1189
KEN PHENIX
"CERTIFIABLE"

Oddometer: 617
Tigress test ride

Sorry 'bout the cross-post but this thread is where I got the idea in the first place.

I took The Tigress on a little test ride - 13 days & about 4,000 miles worth. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=790395

I learned a few things. The bike's performance was absolutely flawless. The CB900F has a huge power band - plenty of grunt in any gear - more than I'll ever need. My minor suspension mods proved comfortable enough on long distance runs. The ergos need work: The bars need to go up another inch so I'll be ordering motionpro cables. The peg placement is a tad high on the 919 which wouldn't have been a problem if I'd had time to build the engine guards and added some highway pegs. My old knees were sufferin' the last few days on the road. The lack of the guards precluded much off road testing. I will say this smooth nimble tourer became a heavy beast in a hurry on fresh 1.5" limestone aggregate.

Most importantly, I have some decision making to do regarding tires. The Dunlop D616 is a fantastic pavement tire - superb in the wet. However, I have already gone through 2 rears. The most I can expect is around 4500 miles a whack. The front tire pressure can make the bike pretty twitchy at high speed in high wind. Dropping it a couple of psi made a huge improvement in stability. Front tire tread is virtually unscathed @ 9k. The D616 will never inspire confidence, in me at least, off road. I'm not ready for the new fatboy TKC80 - especially @ $250 a copy. I don't expect to ever do more than 20% off road with this machine. I could throw in the towel and go back to the Storm St or Pilot Road and be happy. Or I can keep feeding this beast D616 rubber at least while looking for wheels suitable for a set of Anakee's, etc. Conclusion: I will need 2 sets of tires and wheels.

So it's a work in progress but she's an absolute blast to ride. Stay tuned.
IBA #47092
The 919 Transalp Project
KatanaBandit (sold)
smugmug pics

KEN PHENIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 04:27 PM   #1190
duxrneet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 669
Looking forward to it!
Old 05-20-2012, 04:55 PM   #1191
Gypsy_Writer
It's all good!

Oddometer: 47
Question Looking to ADV mod a 2001 Suzuki SV 650...

I tried searching the forums for tips and suggestions, but my brain went fuzzy, so I figured I'd post here and ask for some help. I have owned an older generation SV before and LOVED it! I had to lower it a bit because I stand a whopping 5'3" and can barely touch on anything. However, it was my hands-down favorite and remains so today. Yet, I am looking into a larger class dual sport adventure bike and all of them seem either ridiculously tall, ridiculously heavy, or ridiculously expensive. I found an old SV for sale that looks nearly identical to the one I had to sell when I got too pregnant to reach the handle bars and am jumping on the opportunity.

Here's the issue: how do I get it worthy to take into the Forest Service to go camping? I'm not planning on doing anything crazy or requiring trail skills, just traveling on the main arterials through the back woods. I know the 17" wheels are a bit small, but the size doesn't concern me as much as the lack of spokes and knobby tread. In addition to new tires (which I've researched) and some bar backs and risers, what would you suggest I look into for the mod? I don't want to get too far into this project because I still want to tear up some nice paved roads and have a limited budget, but I am fairly certain it needs more than a skid plate, new tires, and higher bars. Any suggestions? Where to get it? Prices?

Anything you can tell me would be a big help! Thanks!
Gypsy_Writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 05:14 PM   #1192
Yokomo
Gorilla Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,211
I don't think you'd have to do much for backroads riding. Maybe just soften up the syspension to soak up the bumps better. TKC's if you really wanna get dirty. I took mine on a little gravel this weekend to feel it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5FbphFXEJc
Old 05-20-2012, 05:43 PM   #1193
KEN PHENIX
"CERTIFIABLE"

Oddometer: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yokomo View Post
I don't think you'd have to do much for backroads riding. Maybe just soften up the syspension to soak up the bumps better. TKC's if you really wanna get dirty. I took mine on a little gravel this weekend to feel it out.

What kind of mileage are you getting out of the Ravens? I put a set on my son's project bike but never got to see them wear. He sold the bike one month after we got it on the road, when his co-worker won a Darwin award doing something stupid on a CBR600.

The Raven could be the best cheap tire on the market. I thought about trying a set on my bike too.
IBA #47092
The 919 Transalp Project
KatanaBandit (sold)
smugmug pics

KEN PHENIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 06:01 PM   #1194
Ride_Safe
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy_Writer View Post
I stand a whopping 5'3" and can barely touch on anything. However, it was my hands-down favorite and remains so today. Yet, I am looking into a larger class dual sport adventure bike and all of them seem either ridiculously tall, ridiculously heavy, or ridiculously expensive.
I'm 5'5, so I feel your pain. I was able to sit on a late model CRF230 enduro the other day at a dealership, and it felt excellent. I'm thinking that will probably be my next bike. Anything larger than that seems to be way too tall.
Old 05-20-2012, 07:22 PM   #1195
Yokomo
Gorilla Adventurer

I recently got the bike and it came with them, so no clue. I hear the street bike guys hate Shinko's for some reason. I have no experience with shinko street tires.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:30 AM   #1196
MODNROD
Perpetual ponderer

Oddometer: 2,022
If your local street guys hate Shinko's, I can only deduce they don't do any drag racing, or they aren't real fond of popping the front.........

Sticky as crap generally (at least the street stuff, dunno bout the off-road).
Old 05-21-2012, 09:35 AM   #1197
Yokomo
Gorilla Adventurer

Really? I assumed it was the opposite. I assumed they were a harder tire, good for commuting and most riding, but not sticky enough for them to lay their bikes down. Which would be fine for me because I don't lay mine down much.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:37 AM   #1198
Gypsy_Writer
It's all good!

Oddometer: 47
Quote:

Nice!

Thank you! Did you do anything fancy to yours? Or, just some different tires and springs?

I'm not too short, the rest of the world is just too tall.

If I had to choose between the city and the country, I would choose the ocean.
Gypsy_Writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 02:32 PM   #1199
Yokomo
Gorilla Adventurer

I haven't done anything to it to set it up for gravel, but I don't plan on doing much either. If I planned to do abit of backroad riding I'd be looking at softer sysp. though
Old 05-21-2012, 03:41 PM   #1200
Ride_Safe
Adventurer

Quote:
I hear the street bike guys hate Shinko's for some reason.
As you can see from the picture, I have matching Shinko 244s on my CBR125. And considering I'm riding a street bike, I think my opinion should matter. ;)

They work phenomenal... aside from cornering a little differently than the street tires (obviously), they have excellent traction on road. I always used to slide the back end whenever I'd corner on sandy pavement, but never with these rubbers. After getting used to them, I can virtually corner the same as stock, if not better due to more confidence with the sand.

In the rain, they're decent. But you can never expect much out of motorcycle tires on wet roads. They spin a lot in muddy off-road conditions because it just clogs up the back tire, but they still always hold together strong. Loose gravel/limestone roads are a little bit tricky, but I never have any problem on dirt roads. They even work well as a sand tire too!

If you wanna see some footage of me taking the tires on dirt roads, pavement, sand and mud...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHE_7dydASc