Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2008, 03:46 AM   #121
xDownSetx
U WOT M8?

Oddometer: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by timdog
I have never ridden a bike with an anti dive front end off road. What will it do?
It locks the forks so they can't compress. If that happens offroad then you might not be able to keep the front planted and lock up the front wheel, and that never ends well. Not to mention the bumpy ride.
xDownSetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 09:44 AM   #122
metlcutr55
LongGoneDaddy

Oddometer: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerslayer
Nice! I have always wanted a Valkyrie. I was thinking to put knobbies on one so that I don't need to stop where the gravel starts. I have seen some ratted out Goldwings that gave me the idea.

Do you run only street tires on your Valk?
only street tires, thats all ive seen available, and theyre all radials. odd sizes. im not sure a bias ply semi knob would last long on a bike this fat and powerful. no need to stop for gravel, stay upright in the seat and weight the pegs, steer dont lean, she will go. all the roads i listed are considered dual sport rides or worse.
I am what you may call the 8th wonder.
Hey look out boys, get out the way, ladies get in line.
I aint perfect but almost, I'm dyin' if I'm lyin'
metlcutr55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 12:06 PM   #123
roadhamr
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by xDownSetx
Maybe I'll move my TKC's to my gs and have a plate welded to the headers

Will deff. need to replace the stock suspension and block off the anti dive units.
that is one of the reasons i chose the 1981. no anti dive on the front forks. an air system yes but no anti dive. i would like to remove the air system but i dont hink it is possible. i will modify them by stacking up the springs and putting in a heavier fork oil but i wonder about the air system. any ideas?

2000 valkyrie interstate
roadhamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 08:42 PM   #124
Deadly
Asphalt Adventurer!

Oddometer: 1,522
Here is an interesting bike:

He has a ride report thread here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=248187

IBA #14873
02' Nighthawk 750
My Website
Deadly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 09:38 PM   #125
roadhamr
Studly Adventurer

not to be inflamatory but a harley is not really on my list and a skirtster would definitely not be on my list. i have ridden quite a few of them and i think they are antiques, and not in the good way but more in the why am i on this thing and why did i pay so much for it?!

2000 valkyrie interstate
Old 12-29-2008, 05:25 AM   #126
jdrocks
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 4,185
in the states, we have that old saying "run what ya' brung". so if that's what he brought to the party, so be it. run it.
jdrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 08:30 AM   #127
bwringer
Gimpy, Yet Alacritous

Oddometer: 2,158
Wicked Ds Vx800

My VX800 is just starting its transformation into a poor man's Beemer. How many V-twin shafties get to go play in the dirt?

Avon Distanzias -- the front is an oddball size, so it's wearing a 110/80-18 rear tire, mounted backwards. The rear is a 17" rim, so I chose a 140/80-17. The stock size is 150/70-18, but I think with the "knobs" on the Distys, it wouldn't have fit. The 140 was a pretty tight squeeze.

Since these photos, I've raised the front fender. I need to extend the rear fender, too.

The Distanzias handle beautifully on pavement, and have even better traction than I had hoped for in dirt, gravel, and mud. Plus, they look really cool. The front is somewhat noisy on pavement, but works great.

The radiator has a grille, but I'd like to make something a little more robust, at least for the lower half. The bottom of the engine is actually protected pretty well by the frame. I'd like to come up with some hand guards, more for wind protection than anything else. As far as luggage, I'm happy with soft bags.

As with any street bike, it's rather heavy and the suspension doesn't really have the travel for serious dirt work. But just changing the tires extended the VX800's mission profile considerably, and adding some rock protection will give me some peace of mind.

The bike seems to handle quite well on loose surfaces -- it has a more kicked-out head angle than most standards, and the torquey v-twin plonks along quite well on dirt roads, but is also happy to throw a nice rooster tail when appropriate...
"Do not crinkle your food wrappers loudly. Be considerate to others, or I will bite your torso and give you a disease."
bwringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 08:49 AM   #128
Deadly
Asphalt Adventurer!

Oddometer: 1,522
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwringer
Avon Distanzias -- the front is an oddball size, so it's wearing a 110/80-18 rear tire, mounted backwards.

I think that choice may be better than my Nighthawk for a conversion because of the shaft drive and it being a V-Twin. A V-Twin would be much easier for me to make a skid plate for.

Im also using a rear distanzia on the front of my bike but never thought about running it backwards. I just mounted mine with the direction arrows is this something I shouldn't have done?
IBA #14873
02' Nighthawk 750
My Website
Deadly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 09:58 AM   #129
roadhamr
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks
in the states, we have that old saying "run what ya' brung". so if that's what he brought to the party, so be it. run it.
i have an old saying around my place as well it's- get that goddamn harley off of my property before it leaves a mark or i'll fill your ass with buckshot!-
harleys are like old hound dogs love to ride in the back of pickups and leave a mark every where they have been.

2000 valkyrie interstate
Old 12-29-2008, 09:59 AM   #130
roadhamr
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly
I think that choice may be better than my Nighthawk for a conversion because of the shaft drive and it being a V-Twin. A V-Twin would be much easier for me to make a skid plate for.

Im also using a rear distanzia on the front of my bike but never thought about running it backwards. I just mounted mine with the direction arrows is this something I shouldn't have done?
i have noticed that as well deadly. i must ask why the reverse mounting. it has been a while since i was a mechanic but i dont remember that being a golden rule. can someon clarify this one or should we go to the garage with this question?

2000 valkyrie interstate
Old 12-29-2008, 01:15 PM   #131
apeirce
So I was following Andrew

Oddometer: 2,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwringer
My VX800 is just starting its transformation into a poor man's Beemer. How many V-twin shafties get to go play in the dirt?
I can think of more than a few Guzzi Quota owners…
Old 12-29-2008, 02:31 PM   #132
BigJohnBundy
Hav-A-Tampa

Oddometer: 720
I love this!!

Nothing like a goldwing to last forever.

BigJohnBundy screwed with this post 05-04-2009 at 07:21 PM
BigJohnBundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 02:33 PM   #133
BigJohnBundy
Hav-A-Tampa

Oddometer: 720
And this one..

BigJohnBundy screwed with this post 05-04-2009 at 07:21 PM
BigJohnBundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 02:45 PM   #134
SlipChip
Adventure Commuter

Oddometer: 3,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadhamr
i have noticed that as well deadly. i must ask why the reverse mounting. it has been a while since i was a mechanic but i dont remember that being a golden rule. can someon clarify this one or should we go to the garage with this question?
This is common practice on the TDMs also because of the 18" front. The reasoning I have heard is that the tread and carcass of the tire are constructed to receive and apply a force in a certain direction and that force on the front is pretty much opposite of the rear. I too have recently mounted Distanzia's in this fashion, though I have not had the chance to try out the front yet.

“Discoveries are often made by not following instructions, by going off the main road, by trying the untried.” - Frank Tyger

"Life begins at the end of your comfort zone." - Neale Donald Walsch
SlipChip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 05:32 PM   #135
roadhamr
Studly Adventurer

so if you have a tire that is a front tire you mount it as the direction arrows go, and if you are mounting a rear tire as a front tire because of size issues or whatever then you would mount them opposite to the directional arrows. is this a general rule of thumb or is it manufacturer related?

2000 valkyrie interstate