ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 4.83 average. Display Modes
Old 08-09-2010, 10:25 AM   #1621
PRW
living @ 11.5740741uHz

Oddometer: 1,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuasiMoto
...That being said, it's clear from the posts here, and from my experience with their software, that they're toast. BaseCamp vs. Roadtrip? Basecamp: "Survey the terrain, plan your route and geotag photos on your computer and then load the data to your outdoor device with BaseCamp." Roadtrip: "RoadTrip helps you plan trips by letting you transfer map sets, waypoints, routes and tracks from your computer to your device.". Actually, the fundamental difference is that one works and one doesn't, depending on your OS. Both kinda do the same thing, with vaguely different features. This kind of sloppiness -- when it comes to nuts and bolts software engineering and QA, as well as product positioning -- is nothing short of pathetic. Confused software product line, software that "kind of works...kind of doesn't", precambrian legal and copy protection policies...it's astonishing that as a company they're still making a go of it.

With location awareness and even mapping data becoming almost a commodity these days, how Garmin thinks they can continue along this trajectory is laughable. The "old" Zumo hardware design is great, and IMHO it's still the best thing out there, but unless they start to understand that Google, Apple, and God knows who else is within 5 years of completely eating their lunch, they're going to be relegated to being a curious footnote in the evolution of location aware, "intelligent" devices. Classic case of a company gaining dominance in a space early and becoming blindly complacent to market realities.
+1 - very well stated overall - my sentiments exactly.

With one exception: Zumo should not be used to represent the pinnacle of GPS device design. IMO, for motorcycling, the GPSMAP 478 was their best design overall and sadly, it has just been discontinued, without any equivalent follow-on platform.

I don't want to hijack this software thread with a hardware rant, so I won't get into too much detail, but why Garmin would have given up on many excellent features of the 478 with its Zumo line is completely baffling to me and many others. For example, number of waypoints, routes and tracks have been significantly reduced, no XM Weather capability in Automotive modes, and on and on and on. Very strange decision-making for a company in this fiercely competitive space, to go technologically backward, particularly when you had the features already engineered/debugged in prior models.

2008 R1200GS (Slate Gray Metallic Matt)
2003 R1150GS (Night Black)
PRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 11:21 AM   #1622
ghostryder
made it

Oddometer: 5,637
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRW
+1 - very well stated overall - my sentiments exactly.

With one exception: Zumo should not be used to represent the pinnacle of GPS device design. IMO, for motorcycling, the GPSMAP 478 was their best design overall and sadly, it has just been discontinued, without any equivalent follow-on platform.

I don't want to hijack this software thread with a hardware rant, so I won't get into too much detail, but why Garmin would have given up on many excellent features of the 478 with its Zumo line is completely baffling to me and many others. For example, number of waypoints, routes and tracks have been significantly reduced, no XM Weather capability in Automotive modes, and on and on and on. Very strange decision-making for a company in this fiercely competitive space, to go technologically backward, particularly when you had the features already engineered/debugged in prior models.
I have had a few garmins, my favorite has been the 2610 easy to use, the routing was great and study as hell. I have heard a lot of people loved the 2/3/476 series but they are hard to find. Could you expand a little more on whey there so great please?
ghostryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 01:05 PM   #1623
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 27,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRW
It's not really all that baffling.

Garmin was merely trying to standardize on a platform. They chose the one that was the easiest to use (for most customers). There's probably manufacturing cost savings with the Nuvi platform compared to the 478 platform.

I'm glad I've got my 478.
Lobby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 02:36 PM   #1624
marchyman
Cam Killer

Oddometer: 6,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobby
I'm glad I've got my 478.
And I'm stil quite happy with my 276C.

Today I had my first basecamp issues trying to load data to my 276C. It would not load the route I wanted loaded, but would load what appeared to be some random set of data each time I tried.

I gave up and downloaded roadtrip which I'd removed a while back when I thought that basecamp was the thing to use. I had no problem loading data with roadtrip. But... not everthing that was in basecamp is in roadtrip. Yet some things are. Confusing, to say the least.

It reinforces my belief that Garmin has no one responsible for their software who understands how their customers use their units, just GPS tech heads who think that everyone thinks the way they do. I think QuasiMoto is correct... Garmin seems to be following the trajectory of Hayes (remember when EVERYONE wanted a Hayes modem? [I used to work for Hayes and was not surprised that they eventually went out of business]).
marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 04:07 PM   #1625
richarddacat
helmet full of Blues

Oddometer: 3,177
Well I wish I had got the DVD.
I've got a Zumo and a Mac, I purchase the downloadable map upgrade and haven't had any luck getting it downloaded.
I have had online support with no luck and was told it should download but it may take 3-4 hours. So, it stayed plugged in overnight. No download hours later or with 3 other attempts, can't tell if it even started to download.

One more try tonight and then I'm off to use a friends PC.

BONA-WHO ??
richarddacat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 05:13 PM   #1626
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by richarddacat
Well I wish I had got the DVD.
I've got a Zumo and a Mac, I purchase the downloadable map upgrade and haven't had any luck getting it downloaded.
I have had online support with no luck and was told it should download but it may take 3-4 hours. So, it stayed plugged in overnight. No download hours later or with 3 other attempts, can't tell if it even started to download.

One more try tonight and then I'm off to use a friends PC.

Yeah, well don't feel bad. I had the same issues and ordered a DVD, and the first thing the DVD installer wanted to do was download additional data, which failed.
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 05:36 PM   #1627
Steve W
Old Grouch

Oddometer: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic
Yeah, well don't feel bad. I had the same issues and ordered a DVD, and the first thing the DVD installer wanted to do was download additional data, which failed.
Garmin have changed the download install and it sucks. You no longer get a "file", it's all done behind the scene with an installer file that disappears after the install. There's also no way other than the web installer to track the download process.

The first install should have been for the installer. It's is a .dmg file called garminmapupdater***. When you run this file it starts the install process if and only if the registered GPS the maps are unlocked to is connected. After it determines your worthiness, it starts downloading for a few hours and then starts the actual installation progress. There is an almost useless progress indicator for each of the 3 steps.

What worked for me.

Plug the GPS into wall power and don't disconnect it or turn it off.
Disable all screen savers and any antivirus TSRs
Set your sleep options to never
Use the keyboard to dim the screen and go watch I dream of Genie reruns.
The windows version is just as big a PITA.

HTH
Old 08-16-2010, 05:54 PM   #1628
mars
Starbucks anyone?

Oddometer: 1,896
I have been using it a lot lately and like it. One improvement, the ability to resample the track log to reduce size. I find myself exporting the files to my pc and using fugawi to do this.
mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 08:13 PM   #1629
PRW
living @ 11.5740741uHz

Oddometer: 1,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve W
...What worked for me.

Plug the GPS into wall power and don't disconnect it or turn it off.
Disable all screen savers and any antivirus TSRs
Set your sleep options to never
Use the keyboard to dim the screen and go watch I dream of Genie reruns.
And don't forget to remove all removable media cards during the update. For some reason, if the installer sees them, it attempts to write the new maps to the cards rather than the internal storage and, of course, you receive an error that there is not enough space for your maps.

2008 R1200GS (Slate Gray Metallic Matt)
2003 R1150GS (Night Black)
PRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 08:15 PM   #1630
richarddacat
helmet full of Blues

Oddometer: 3,177
My last home attempt failed as expected.

Used a PC with dial-up and got it done in 1.5 hrs.
Big woop.

Maybe now I won't be riding through fields and I'll be able to get a few more Zaxbys.
BONA-WHO ??
richarddacat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 10:25 AM   #1631
tentative_rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
apologies for not reading the whole thread

Hello all - I am sorry to ask for a rehash of a thread that is more than 2 years old and at the risk of asking stupid questions, here is mine:
1) Is there any mac compatible Garmin (or third party) software that has all (or nearly all) the functionality of mapsource?

I am using a Zumo 660 on my 07GSA (incidentally just had to send it in for a replacement as it all of a sudden couldn't see the satellites -- weird !!)

The reason I ask is i have a 6 year old PC (a cheapo Dell laptop) that is my last connection to the Windows platform (good riddance...).

It needs replacing and before I spill at least $500 for a replacement I want to know if I could get a macintosh laptop instead (that I would actually WANT to buy). The Garmin software is the ONLY thing I use this old PC for now.
tentative_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 10:41 AM   #1632
AugustFalcon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by tentative_rider
1) Is there any mac compatible Garmin (or third party) software that has all (or nearly all) the functionality of mapsource?...
Yes, there are: BaseCamp and another called RoadTrip. Of the two BaseCamp is the one which is most up to date. They are both free downloads on the Garmin website.

The paradigm is much different than MapSource so be prepared for a learning curve. You will no longer be working with individual files but rather with a datastore type application --- much more Mac-like.

04 BMW R1100S
02 KTM 250 Exc Racing

SmugMug referral code: jXF8ohDWlTm56
AugustFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 10:51 AM   #1633
tentative_rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Thanks, I am downloading it now. Just curious as to what is meant by your reference to single files versus the way the Mac handles things (I have only had my mac for 6 months and don't understand much about the O.S.)
tentative_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 11:04 AM   #1634
ghostryder
made it

Oddometer: 5,637
I use road trip, and have a 550 and no problems. It was different from map source but easy to figure out.
ghostryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 03:01 PM   #1635
AugustFalcon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by tentative_rider
...Just curious as to what is meant by your reference to single files versus the way the Mac handles things (I have only had my mac for 6 months and don't understand much about the O.S.)
In Mapsource if you are planning a trip and you want to save it so you can use it again you would have to explicitly do a File:Save and give it a name for example it could be MyBigTrip.gpx. That file would have all the waypoints, routes and tracks you made for your trip. When you start MapSource up again if you wanted to look at or work with MyBigTrip.gpx you would have to do a File:Open command to bring that file in. If you had another file called MyLittleTrip.gpx and you wanted to look at it, too you could either start another instance of MapSource or import it depending on what you wanted to do. And if you made any changes to those files you would have to do a File:Save to keep the changes.

BaseCamp and RoadTrip have a datastore called My Collection. Assume you still have those two files from your MapSource days. Once you have imported them into BaseCamp or RoadTrip their data now lives in the My Collection datastore. Any changes or additions you make automatically go into the datastore. If you have made some changes to the data, e.g. new waypoints, changed routing or changed tracks they will still be there when you restart BaseCamp or RoadTrip the next time. IOW there is no need to save to a file -- that part is done for you.

You can add subfolders to keep the specific trip data together. The subfolders don't really have the actual data in them, they just link to the data in My Collections. If you select and export one of the subfolders you will end up with a gpx file containing the data but the original data will still be in your My Collections folder until you explicitly delete it.

The best thing to do is to play around with the program until you are comfortable and you have specific questions and then post them up. Lots of folks on here are very knowledgeable and will help you out.

04 BMW R1100S
02 KTM 250 Exc Racing

SmugMug referral code: jXF8ohDWlTm56
AugustFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote