ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 4.86 average. Display Modes
Old 05-01-2008, 05:17 PM   #151
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2TrakR
10-4
Hi Jeramey!

Dave

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 05:41 AM   #152
Ronyx
Mo shωile togam suas

Oddometer: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarminMac
This drawing style used in Bobcat is pretty much a standard for the major map drawing applications at this point in time. (For example, take a look at google maps, mapquest, yahoo maps, Nuvi, etc). AFAIK, MapSource will be coming out with an update in the future with the same drawing style (to match Bobcat). I don't think you will see many newer mapping applications with the thin line style anymore because the "white worm" style gives (in general) a more accurate top down representation of the actual roads.
Your right this is like the google maps look. I have been wishing that Garmin would switch to a google maps type look and lo-and-behold look what happens! Better differentiating road types by adjusting the line width or appearance would be good.
Old 05-03-2008, 06:24 AM   #153
LoneStar
WhoopDeDoofus

Oddometer: 1,216
Slight hijack...

I've been waiting for Garmin / Mac compatibility before buying a Zumo 550 and maybe GarminMac has the answer...

Are Mac compatible maps being included in the retail box yet or will I have to do the PC map conversion if I buy now?

... or is Garmin waiting for the final version of Bobcat before releasing a Mac friendly Zumo 550 with Mac maps and software in the box?

Thanks in advance

LoneStar
LoneStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 09:46 AM   #154
pouw
2 valve junk

Oddometer: 10
Hi GarminMac, is it posible that you can make a "Mapconverter" for the Mac that read Maps directly from the DVD CN Europa NT 2008.
So we have not wait till next year when the next version of CN Europa NT, version 2009 wil come out.
I won't install any Mickysoft on my Macbook so the Mapconverter for Windows won't work for me.
This means that i can't install the maps into Bobcat.
Thanks
pouw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 05:06 PM   #155
GarminMac OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStar
Slight hijack...

I've been waiting for Garmin / Mac compatibility before buying a Zumo 550 and maybe GarminMac has the answer...

Are Mac compatible maps being included in the retail box yet or will I have to do the PC map conversion if I buy now?

... or is Garmin waiting for the final version of Bobcat before releasing a Mac friendly Zumo 550 with Mac maps and software in the box?

Thanks in advance

LoneStar
I'm not sure if our cartography team is incuding Mac native maps on the DVD that comes with the Zumo. I will have to check on this, so give me a couple days to come up with the answer.
GarminMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 07:05 PM   #156
PhilSpace
The Gov

Oddometer: 35,210
Quote:
Please read post #37 on page 3 of this thread where I give an explanation about why we can't do this.
Sorry for the screw up. This was posted by GarminMac in response to pouw

PhilSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 09:28 PM   #157
LoneStar
WhoopDeDoofus

Oddometer: 1,216
Quote:
I'm not sure if our cartography team is incuding Mac native maps on the DVD that comes with the Zumo. I will have to check on this, so give me a couple days to come up with the answer.
Thanks GM - much appreciated
LoneStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 09:24 AM   #158
pouw
2 valve junk

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilSpace
Sorry for the screw up. This was posted by GarminMac in response to pouw
Thanks.
A thought i have read all the reply's but i'll see that i was missing a few.
This means that i'll have to what a year for the new version of CN Europe NT with Maps for the Mac.
Old 05-04-2008, 09:43 PM   #159
DennyIndy
Old F@rt

Oddometer: 349
The Map Update 2009 contains both PC and Mac versions of the maps.
So If you get a Zumo now with 2008 maps, you will qualify for the free update and certainly have both versions in the 2009 maps. And they can be installed on the Zumo as well as your computer.
DennyIndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 11:36 PM   #160
pelo
Pelo&Hobbes950

Oddometer: 17
i'm stuck on the map converting stuff.
i really hoped the bobcat worked with the dvd-map without any further processing.
pelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 01:51 AM   #161
pelo
Pelo&Hobbes950

Oddometer: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyIndy
The Map Update 2009 contains both PC and Mac versions of the maps.
So If you get a Zumo now with 2008 maps, you will qualify for the free update and certainly have both versions in the 2009 maps. And they can be installed on the Zumo as well as your computer.
this is a great new.
i was just wondering about the map update, and, no, it isn't for free, unless you just bought a zumo on dec 07. (europe)
pelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 05:19 AM   #162
pouw
2 valve junk

I have bought a GPSMap 278 in januari this year with CN Europe NT v9 on it.
4 weeks ago i recived the free update DVD CN Europe NT 2008 and this was a PC only disk.
Old 05-05-2008, 12:23 PM   #163
2TrakR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
Thanks for listening to the feedback. Display issue-wise I've only seen the military land not showing.

Better definition of line thickness for various road types is my major request.

Next issue for me is the application-centric design. I have multiple waypoints with the same name, for different areas, in different documents. We make Dual Sport routes for our events (10+ each year). The waypoint name "AR1", for example, is a common item between these routes (reset 1 on "A" Loop). Riders are accustomed to seeing "AR1" on the maps we provide and know what it means, so we can't easily change to "GeelsAR1".
Near as I can tell in my tests, you can't have two waypoints with the same name in BobCat.
I'd much prefer a document centric design, personally.

Same for having solid road lines versus the "pretty" & good-for-demos "worm style".

Solid lines tend to be more visually accurate for details. For example, see the same map area at .5 mile zoom in MapSource and BobCat. Notice how Old 27 and the parallel road blend into each other in the BobCat display (not to mention the "blob" of roads along the lake shore).
MapSource -> BobCat

PS - BobCat crashes for me when creating a waypoint, only when creating that waypoint over an existing non-road object (say click over State Park background, water, or gas station icon). Didn't notice this in the beta known-issues log.

PPS - Omnidirectional scrolling with MightyMouse and TrackPad is VERY cool in BobCat.
Old 05-05-2008, 02:35 PM   #164
GarminMac OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Quote:
Currently, the Zumo comes with a disc with only the Windows maps on it. A version with Mac native maps should be released soon.
GarminMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 12:03 PM   #165
DennyIndy
Old F@rt

Oddometer: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2TrakR

Better definition of line thickness for various road types is my major request.
I agree with this totally. While the Google Maps look is impressive at first glance, ie. it makes a good first impressiion. The existing way of drawing maps in MapSource is much better in the long run. With the Bobcat method, I have to zoom in too close to see the details in an easily readable format.
DennyIndy is offline   Reply With Quote