ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 4.86 average. Display Modes
Old 10-26-2010, 08:54 PM   #1711
SnowMule
[angry moth noises]

Oddometer: 18,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildit
I didn't think Google earth worked without an internet connection? I know it doesn't work on dial up.
It'll cache some areas... it *will* function offline, but it's not real great. No way that i'm aware of to tell it to cache specific locations for offline use.

LoadMyTracks will still move data without a network connection.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:06 AM   #1712
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 14,107
Okay, here at the why-fi spot and uploaded base camp, seems to be fully functional in transfering tracks to and from the map60c. I'll have to wait till I get back home to attempt the map install program. I'll report success or failure results when done.
2006 KLR650
2001 YZ426 (street Legal)
buildit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 09:01 AM   #1713
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!

Oddometer: 5,550
Just got off an 90 minute call with Garmin. My Nuvi 500 dies when importing some routes into active memory. I have the City Nav NA maps v 2011.20. He never managed to get his Nuvi to replicate my problem, but he had the old maps. He's going to do testing to determine if its a map problem.

His recommendation was to use a window's machine, as both BaseCamp and Roadtrip for Mac has known issues.

I just created a GPX file with 10 routes and sent it out to about 15 guys. I haven't heard back any problems from them, so maybe just opening the routes in Mapsource and loading them to the Nuvi works around this problem.

Until Garmin fixes this problem, I would be hard pressed to recommend their units for Mac Users. I might try to use some other software to load these routes into the unit.
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Dahveed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 09:06 AM   #1714
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,366
EXACT experience I had with them. When they tell you the official 'fix' is to use windows, it leaves me thinking "why not use delorme"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahveed
Just got off an 90 minute call with Garmin. My Nuvi 500 dies when importing some routes into active memory. I have the City Nav NA maps v 2011.20. He never managed to get his Nuvi to replicate my problem, but he had the old maps. He's going to do testing to determine if its a map problem.

His recommendation was to use a window's machine, as both BaseCamp and Roadtrip for Mac has known issues.

I just created a GPX file with 10 routes and sent it out to about 15 guys. I haven't heard back any problems from them, so maybe just opening the routes in Mapsource and loading them to the Nuvi works around this problem.

Until Garmin fixes this problem, I would be hard pressed to recommend their units for Mac Users. I might try to use some other software to load these routes into the unit.
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 09:15 AM   #1715
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic
EXACT experience I had with them. When they tell you the official 'fix' is to use windows, it leaves me thinking "why not use delorme"
Perhaps the only difference is DeLorme doesn't claim they support Macs. Garmin does until you have a problem.

I thought it was strange, but the guy got my problem route to open with the older map on the GPS, but he didn't think that was a possible solution.

He recommended using windows, or waiting for improved basecamp to come out. Of course, he had no idea when a be-bugged software was going to be released, just that they were working on it. They had a basecamp upgrade just last week, but it didn't fix this problem.

So either I find someone with a beater pc I can use just for the mapping, or I do the bootcamp thing and go find a copy of windoze to pollute my iMac with. Both involved spending money on non-motorcycle stuff.
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Old 10-27-2010, 10:38 AM   #1716
fire_strom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,256
I've run an Oregon 300, 450 and Nuvi 5x0 on Mac and had no issues doing anything the units were supposed to do. Including transferring routes in both directions and with both the City Nav and Topo US 24k. Not sure what's up with yours but it might be a unit issue vs. a system issue. Or operator error.
G

fire_strom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:15 AM   #1717
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Okay, more questions from a mac/garmin newbee. If I'm reading the fine print correctly on the Garmin web site, in order to use maps I have in my WIN based computer I have to "convert them"? What program is supposed to accomplish this?
2006 KLR650
Old 10-27-2010, 11:20 AM   #1718
Steve W
Old Grouch

Oddometer: 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildit
Okay, more questions from a mac/garmin newbee. If I'm reading the fine print correctly on the Garmin web site, in order to use maps I have in my WIN based computer I have to "convert them"? What program is supposed to accomplish this?
MapConverter..... Linky

Some people have had issues with the compressed results not working. If you've got the disk space, don't select the compress option.

The Weather in my Backyard
Steve W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:39 AM   #1719
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve W
MapConverter..... Linky

Some people have had issues with the compressed results not working. If you've got the disk space, don't select the compress option.
Couldn't make the process simple could they? So basically:
1. install one converter to a win based computer
2. convert the map
3. save the converted file to disc or thumb drive
4. transfer the data to the mac
5. install another converter file on the mac
6. open the converted map on the mac in base camp
2006 KLR650
Old 10-27-2010, 11:49 AM   #1720
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fire_strom
I've run an Oregon 300, 450 and Nuvi 5x0 on Mac and had no issues doing anything the units were supposed to do. Including transferring routes in both directions and with both the City Nav and Topo US 24k. Not sure what's up with yours but it might be a unit issue vs. a system issue. Or operator error.
G
The Garmin support guy I had said this is an occasional problem on the Mac software going to all their units. He found NOTHING wrong with my gpx files and they worked from his PC to his Nuvi 500. But one had the older maps and the other Nuvi didn't have any maps, so the problem may be related to the newer map set.

If it had been operator error, he would have mentioned it.

I think it has something to do with the length of the route. Shorter routes (up to maybe 150 miles) I was able to load, but the longer ones seem to cause this issue.

If you're not loading routes from your computer to your GPS or if you're using a different map, you may not ever experience this problem.
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Old 10-27-2010, 03:07 PM   #1721
fire_strom
Beastly Adventurer

I frequently load routes from the computer to the GPS. They tend to be shorter albeit with very many way and/or via points in the mix. Often a dirt and pave mix.

Old 10-27-2010, 04:07 PM   #1722
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
G
What KIND of route? If you auto-route on a street in basecamp, everything works fine. you get dialogs saying it was 'successful' and then it crashes the nuvi and Garmin will say that it's "unsupported" (rather rudely I might add)

It's basic, basic functionality, and what really irks me is that they spent the time to program the dialogues and buttons, but then claim it's your fault that you pushed them expecting them to do anything.
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
Baja Blitz Yard sale
Old 10-27-2010, 04:30 PM   #1723
fire_strom
Beastly Adventurer

I don't know what you mean. i can "auto route" on roads from point to point and I can direct route from point to point (off road). Am I missing something, other than the crash?
G

Old 10-27-2010, 04:33 PM   #1724
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I don't know what you mean. i can "auto route" on roads from point to point and I can direct route from point to point (off road). Am I missing something, other than the crash?
G

I guess so, Garmin told me it wasn't possible in basecamp, no way no how. They said I had to make the route in Road trip. When I did that, it still didn't work and they told me to do it in mapsource.
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
Baja Blitz Yard sale
Old 10-27-2010, 04:55 PM   #1725
fire_strom
Beastly Adventurer

Next time you have a spare couple hours you might call them back. Maybe you got a dud (unit and tech person on phone)?
G