ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 4.88 average. Display Modes
Old 05-06-2008, 04:19 PM   #166
Steve W
Old Grouch
 
Steve W's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Rocky Mountains of Alberta
Oddometer: 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyIndy
I agree with this totally. While the Google Maps look is impressive at first glance, ie. it makes a good first impressiion. The existing way of drawing maps in MapSource is much better in the long run. With the Bobcat method, I have to zoom in too close to see the details in an easily readable format.
Thank you. I thought I was the only one who thought the "Google" look a step backward.
Steve W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 04:45 PM   #167
christian
Exchange your GPS Track!
 
christian's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Redwood City, CA
Oddometer: 2,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarminMac
Currently, the Zumo comes with a disc with only the Windows maps on it. A version with Mac native maps should be released soon.
are the new 2009 maps shipped with it or the 2008 and we need to upgrade , for free i hope ?

I am about to pull the trigger on a zumo, but I'd rather wait for the new maps.

thx
__________________
KTM 950 ADV '05.5
KTM 690 '10
christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 08:13 PM   #168
DennyIndy
Old F@rt
 
DennyIndy's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Indiana
Oddometer: 349
i don't know the exact cutoff date, but i've heard reports of folks who bought their's after April 1 are getting the free map update. It is a downloadable update for those who qualify for the free update. So you better have a good broadband connection. Some report 4 hours to download it. I suppose a disc option is available too, not sure.
DennyIndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 08:44 PM   #169
Ronyx
Mo shile togam suas
 
Ronyx's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Calgary
Oddometer: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyIndy
i don't know the exact cutoff date, but i've heard reports of folks who bought their's after April 1 are getting the free map update. It is a downloadable update for those who qualify for the free update. So you better have a good broadband connection. Some report 4 hours to download it. I suppose a disc option is available too, not sure.
I bought my zumo at the beginning of April and got the free update
__________________
2008 BMW R1200GSA - Sold
2011 KTM 690 Enduro
Ronyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 09:57 PM   #170
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!
 
Lobby's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: San Antonio, Tx
Oddometer: 27,897
I just bought my Zumo and when I registered the device, was informed by Garmin's web site that I qualified for the free update.

I chose to pay the $10 to get the disk, as I need to have the software on 2 computers.

edit: delivery was quoted as 4 - 6 weeks.
__________________
Gracie's Gold
Lobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 10:49 PM   #171
christian
Exchange your GPS Track!
 
christian's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Redwood City, CA
Oddometer: 2,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobby
I just bought my Zumo and when I registered the device, was informed by Garmin's web site that I qualified for the free update.

I chose to pay the $10 to get the disk, as I need to have the software on 2 computers.

edit: delivery was quoted as 4 - 6 weeks.
thanks guys,
I guess with the update you can download both Mac and PC ?
__________________
KTM 950 ADV '05.5
KTM 690 '10
christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 04:53 AM   #172
PhilSpace
The Gov
 
PhilSpace's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2002
Location: Springfield, VA
Oddometer: 35,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobby
I just bought my Zumo and when I registered the device, was informed by Garmin's web site that I qualified for the free update.

I chose to pay the $10 to get the disk, as I need to have the software on 2 computers.

edit: delivery was quoted as 4 - 6 weeks.
I don't get that. I have had the disk and loaded the maps and registered it for 3 weeks going on a month for my old zumo and when I called Garmin to get a free code for the second, they said it wasn't out yet. I told them I had it, and all I needed was a second unlock code, since they owe me one for free and they said they couldn't do it and it would be another 4-6 weeks since it wasn't available. I suggested they check my account where they would see that it I already had an unlock code for one copy.

You have to wonder what's going on in old Olathe, Kansas.
__________________

PhilSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 09:00 AM   #173
Ronyx
Mo shile togam suas
 
Ronyx's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Calgary
Oddometer: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by christian
thanks guys,
I guess with the update you can download both Mac and PC ?
Yup, there was a choice of Windows or Mac download. I, of course, downloaded the mac one. the install and conversion of everything took about an hour.
__________________
2008 BMW R1200GSA - Sold
2011 KTM 690 Enduro
Ronyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 01:30 PM   #174
Ronyx
Mo shile togam suas
 
Ronyx's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Calgary
Oddometer: 213
Has the new Bobcat revision come out yet??


__________________
2008 BMW R1200GSA - Sold
2011 KTM 690 Enduro
Ronyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 03:59 PM   #175
GarminMac OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Oddometer: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronyx
Has the new Bobcat revision come out yet??
The newest version of Bobcat Beta came out today. It is not available via auto update yet because we want the volume of tests to remain low for a few hours to ensure stability, so if you want to try it out now please go to
http://www.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=3885. This version of Bobcat has a tie in to MapInstall, so if you want to try this out head over to http://www.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4078 to download the new MapInstall Beta which supports the Bobcat-MapInstall communication.

Please report any issues you find and any feedback is always appreciated. Thanks and have fun!
GarminMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 04:35 PM   #176
christian
Exchange your GPS Track!
 
christian's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Redwood City, CA
Oddometer: 2,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarminMac
The newest version of Bobcat Beta came out today. It is not available via auto update yet because we want the volume of tests to remain low for a few hours to ensure stability, so if you want to try it out now please go to
http://www.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=3885. This version of Bobcat has a tie in to MapInstall, so if you want to try this out head over to http://www.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4078 to download the new MapInstall Beta which supports the Bobcat-MapInstall communication.

Please report any issues you find and any feedback is always appreciated. Thanks and have fun!
the site seems to be hammered. Super slow.
__________________
KTM 950 ADV '05.5
KTM 690 '10
christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 04:56 PM   #177
strommin
bending light
 
strommin's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: Smith Mtn Lake, VA
Oddometer: 939
Quote:
Originally Posted by christian
the site seems to be hammered. Super slow.
MapInstall is crawling but not Bobcat on my side of the net....




strommin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 07:08 PM   #178
PhilSpace
The Gov
 
PhilSpace's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2002
Location: Springfield, VA
Oddometer: 35,319
I gots it, so far so good
__________________

PhilSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 08:26 PM   #179
AugustFalcon
Beastly Adventurer
 
AugustFalcon's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: Waterford, Connecticut U.S.A.
Oddometer: 1,047
OK, I've downloaded and installed from the 2 links provided my GarminMac above. The downloads were fast and the installs were easy.

But...

I have not been able to discover any linkage between Bobcat and MapInstall

Has anyone else found the linkage?
AugustFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 08:52 PM   #180
osteo
Motion is Life
 
osteo's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: somewhere in Ontario, Canada
Oddometer: 1,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustFalcon
OK, I've downloaded and installed from the 2 links provided my GarminMac above. The downloads were fast and the installs were easy.

But...

I have not been able to discover any linkage between Bobcat and MapInstall

Has anyone else found the linkage?
Yup, I did the download as well, and as stated, quick download -

My quick look through did not find any linkage either, but man what a nice program! GarminMac - you ROCK!! if I ever meet you, you got some free on me!

Finally I can dump my piece of junk PC!

D
__________________
"If it is small enough to eat in a single meal, don't worry about it, hit it!. If it is too large to eat in one sitting, get the hell away from it!" Jack Splash commenting on animals on the trail.

Rally Connex Adventures
Off-Road Adventures
Make It Stick Media

Adventure Has No Destination

08' KTM 450 EXC - The Half Beast -
04' Yamaha TTR250 (for the wife)
osteo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014