ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.80 average. Display Modes
Old 05-07-2008, 07:58 PM   #181
AugustFalcon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,005
Never mind... I found the link: Non-obvious.

Gotta do a transfer and then it asks you if you want to transfer the maps associated with the data. WTF!

Gotta play with it some more to try and figure out what it thinks its doing. Right now it told me I am over by 69.0 MB and the back button doesn't work.
AugustFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 08:00 PM   #182
AugustFalcon
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by osteo
...Finally I can dump my piece of junk PC!

D
Nope - the track tool isn't working yet.
Old 05-07-2008, 08:02 PM   #183
osteo
Motion is Life

Oddometer: 1,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustFalcon
Never mind... I found the link: Non-obvious.

Gotta do a transfer and then it asks you if you want to transfer the maps associated with the data. WTF!

Gotta play with it some more to try and figure out what it thinks its doing. Right now it told me I am over by 69.0 MB and the back button doesn't work.
ahh.. good to know, and seeing as my GPS is... somewhere, I have no need to look!

I tried to pick up City Navigator NT 2009 and apparently they did not have any in stock at the store, should have just ordered it from Garmin as now I am waiting...

D

Rally Connex Adventures
Off-Road Adventures
Make It Stick Media

Adventure Has No Destination

08' KTM 450 EXC - The Half Beast -
04' Yamaha TTR250 (for the wife)
osteo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 08:06 PM   #184
DennyIndy
Old F@rt

Oddometer: 349
It's another very noticable improvement.

I could not figure out any linkage with MapInstall either. Hmmm
I just noticed the post above, It must also know that my GPS has all the maps already pre loaded too.
Cause I did not get asked to transfer any maps.

I was expecting a tracks tool, but finally figured out to use the selector tool.

Still want the support of shaping points and the ability to drag routes around from one road to another like MapSource.
^ That feature would set me free from the PC and (Yucky - Virtual PC)

Would like to be able to copy the text inside the Directions part of route properties and paste that into a text editor or word processor.

Composing routes with the World routable basemap v3 does not crash it any more -- YAY!!!

DennyIndy screwed with this post 05-07-2008 at 08:21 PM
DennyIndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 08:23 PM   #185
DennyIndy
Old F@rt

Quote:
Nope - the track tool isn't working yet.
i'm wondering what you are trying to do with the tracks tool?

I was able to join, split and delete tracks. Also delete track points.
Old 05-07-2008, 08:34 PM   #186
AugustFalcon
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyIndy
i'm wondering what you are trying to do with the tracks tool?

I was able to join, split and delete tracks. Also delete track points.
I don't appear to have a tracks tool! The closest I come to a track tool is the little scissors icon on the track properties display window -- when I click on it it claims the feature is unavailable in the preview build of Bobcat.

Under EDIT:JOIN TRACKS it is greyed out.

What hardware are you running on? Mine is a 12" PowerBook.
Old 05-07-2008, 08:36 PM   #187
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 27,286
Nope, not me.

I'm waiting till Bobcat auto updates.

Old 05-07-2008, 08:38 PM   #188
Ronyx
Mo shile togam suas

Oddometer: 213
It also doesn't look like you can alter the level of detail displayed. I notice that you still have to zoom in quite a bit to get a higher level of detail.

overall, this is heading in the right direction. I like the general feel of it and it is nice to have functionality on the Mac instead of having to go through Fusion on the mac for the pc version.
Old 05-07-2008, 08:50 PM   #189
DennyIndy
Old F@rt

Quote:
I don't appear to have a tracks tool! The closest I come to a track tool is the little scissors icon on the track properties display window -- when I click on it it claims the feature is unavailable in the preview build of Bobcat.

Under EDIT:JOIN TRACKS it is greyed out.

What hardware are you running on? Mine is a 12" PowerBook.
Select tracks with the selector tool (arrow) command click to select more than one track to join them. Splitting them is done in the track properties info box. Also use the selector tool to select track points. I scratched my head a bit over that one too. Since there is no tracks tool like mapsource.

I have a G4 powerbook.

Hmmm, It won't let me split tracks now, It worked once?? Weird!!
Old 05-07-2008, 09:10 PM   #190
GarminMac OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Thanks for all the feedback you have posted already.

I feel like I take should take the time to try and clear a few things up or find out from you how to make it better...

To have Bobcat launch MapInstall you need to send your waypoints, routes, and tracks from within Bobcat. You will then be asked if you want to send maps too. If you select yes, then MapInstall will launch and we will automatically select the maps needed for the data just sent. For instance, if you just send a route going from Phoenix to LA then you would see Arizona and California preselected for you in MapInstall and all you need to do is hit send.

Track editing: We have made some progress in regards to track editing as you have noticed. We still need to do splitting (the button is a dummy for now), but joining, deleting track points, and selecting track points all should be working for you. In an effort to reduce the complexity of the MapSource track tool we have changed some of these things quite a bit. For instance, joining is done by selecting all the tracks you wish to join and then either go to Edit->Join Tracks or press cmd-J. You will be presented with a dialog that allows you to reorder the tracks, reverse them, and some other options all available from the action menu on the bottom left of that dialog.

Track profiling has also been redesigned, although it is only about 50% done at this poin. Please play around with it and let me know what you think.

Some of the other features you guys are requesting (detail adjusment, track splits, etc) will most likely be in our next release which we are working hard to release much quicker than this last version.
GarminMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 01:48 AM   #191
pelo
Pelo&Hobbes950

Oddometer: 17
Just one question about european users.
We just got available the City Navigator Europe NT 2008 RMU, no news for further updates.
In order to use this dvd on a mac we are supposed to install all the stuff on a crappy winxx pc, convert all, export, import and so on.

Can't you just allow bobcat to download or convert "on the fly" the pc maps?

i know it's hard, i don't even know if it's possible, but.... just in case.
thanks anyway.

gio
pelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 03:38 AM   #192
tafflink
Vicarious Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
Pissed New version of Bobcat: Same problems for me

1. App crashes when clicking on binoculars

2. Find > Find Place: No field to enter anything.

This app just does not like me.
tafflink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 04:24 AM   #193
PhilSpace
The Gov

Oddometer: 35,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by tafflink
1. App crashes when clicking on binoculars

2. Find > Find Place: No field to enter anything.

This app just does not like me.
Sound like something related to your Mac. I just did an address search in a different city and a POI search with no problem. It's tad slower than Mapsource, but it works.

I also have created a route and played with some tracks, and no crashes as of yet. I do wish that I could select, drag and drop a route to change it like Mapsource, but I assume that's a coming attraction.

PhilSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 08:11 AM   #194
tafflink
Vicarious Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilSpace
Sound like something related to your Mac. I just did an address search in a different city and a POI search with no problem. It's tad slower than Mapsource, but it works.

I also have created a route and played with some tracks, and no crashes as of yet. I do wish that I could select, drag and drop a route to change it like Mapsource, but I assume that's a coming attraction.
At this point I think I should uninstall/re-install but am hoping to hear from
GarminMac if there are special registries I need to erase.
tafflink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 08:17 AM   #195
2TrakR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarminMac
To have Bobcat launch MapInstall you need to send your waypoints, routes, and tracks from within Bobcat. You will then be asked if you want to send maps too. If you select yes, then MapInstall will launch and we will automatically select the maps needed for the data just sent. For instance, if you just send a route going from Phoenix to LA then you would see Arizona and California preselected for you in MapInstall and all you need to do is hit send.
The method described is a neat feature and somewhat novel way to select and load maps, compared to previous versions and other vendors products. Personally, I'm not sure how ultimately useful it will be given that most folks load the entire map-set once and leave it.

For multi-State travel, I can see it's occasional usefulness as I too have used the "select maps around route/track" in MapSource to quickly pick up the maps I need. However, now that we have units with removable storage and that storage has affordable capacity sufficient to continuously store a large area (say all of the US), I rarely need to change maps.

I'd much prefer being able to manually choose which maps (map segments) are selected and sent to the GPS. 9 times out of 10 I will need to select and load maps that have nothing to do with a track/route that is being sent to the GPS. 99.9% of the time (for personal use) I have previously loaded the map set of a large geographic area, large enough to cover all of my expected travels, and then never change maps.

Last check, MapInstall still allowed for the second behavior so I hope that functionality is retained.

** I've tried the 2.0.0.4 BobCat, but not with GPS so I don't have first-hand experience with how it is selecting/loading maps at this time.

Here's a frequent support-type issue I encounter relating to maps:
Folks forget to uncheck the box for "Maps" in the Send to Device dialog in MapSource. For whatever reason (usually by accidentally clicking the map select tool somewhere), they have one or two tiles selected yet, but really they are only trying to load up a track or waypoint. Since it defaults to include any selected maps, they skip the "uncheck" process and proceed to load maps, tracks/routes when all they really wanted was tracks/routes.
They then go ride and find that the maps are missing outside of the route/track area. What's happened is they re-sent the maps to the unit and those maps were for an area that they didn't ride. Since the entire map is replaced when new ones are sent, the map set they had previously loaded (which covered all of an area) is now replaced with that one segment of a different area.
I see this scenario potentially happening with the current behavior of BobCat - It will ask if they want to include/load the maps and they'll (not knowing the correct answer) say "of course". That trip, or the next, will find them without all of the maps they originally had in the GPS since BobCat conveniently loaded just the segments that were pertinent to the route/track.

If there were a way for BobCat to understand which maps were already installed in a GPS, then it would be great if it asked to load areas not already installed - even better if it could do this without replacing the existing map set.

From my perspective, loading maps to the unit should be a User-initiated and deliberate behavior. Integration with BobCat is pretty important as most don't want to deal with multiple programs to manage a single device (for example you don't want to load your iPod with iTunes for music and then switch to iPhoto to load photos to the same iPod, just use the one program to manage it all).
I'd prefer to see, for example, a button to send maps to the unit and a separate button to load User Data. Certainly not elegant in my description, but the basic mechanics are what I think would help to improve the current solutions.

Thanks again for your continued good work on this product.