ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 4.86 average. Display Modes
Old 05-08-2008, 08:32 AM   #196
GarminMac OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelo
Just one question about european users.
We just got available the City Navigator Europe NT 2008 RMU, no news for further updates.
In order to use this dvd on a mac we are supposed to install all the stuff on a crappy winxx pc, convert all, export, import and so on.

Can't you just allow bobcat to download or convert "on the fly" the pc maps?

i know it's hard, i don't even know if it's possible, but.... just in case.
thanks anyway.

gio
CNEU RMU is for the PC and Mac (same DVD) so you won't have to convert the maps. Just put the DVD in your Mac and launch Garmin Map Update. It should take care of it for you.
GarminMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 08:36 AM   #197
Member No. 1
I can use a custom title?

Oddometer: 6
GPZ to Google Earth

I apologize in advance if this is already possible, and that I'm not GPS savvy enough to know how, but is there or will there be a way to convert and/or send a .GPX file so that Google Earth can use it? ( .kmz .kml) As of now the only way I know of is with a second app. called GPS Visualizer. Would much rather do it inside Bobcat.

http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/map?form=googleearth

PS... Using Google Earth Plus is not an option for what I want to be doing this for.

Member No. 1 screwed with this post 05-08-2008 at 11:28 AM
Member No. 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 08:39 AM   #198
GarminMac OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tafflink
At this point I think I should uninstall/re-install but am hoping to hear from
GarminMac if there are special registries I need to erase.
Did you send in a crash report?

Edit: I found your crash report, we'll start looking into this issue to see why it is happening.

GarminMac screwed with this post 05-08-2008 at 12:11 PM
Old 05-08-2008, 11:35 AM   #199
DennyIndy
Old F@rt

Oddometer: 349
[quote=Member No. 1]is there or will there be a way to convert and/or send a .GPX file so that Google Earth can use it? ( .kmz .kml) As of now the only way I know of is with a second app./quote]

http://www.gpsbabel.org/

Does kml conversion, It reads and writes bunches of GPS file formats.
DennyIndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 11:46 AM   #200
Dr. Greg
Tryin' to get home..

Oddometer: 1,133
Manual Map Management (M^3)

I would also like the ability to select/download maps independently of routing. With my Quest (I) I don't have much memory, so "map management" is important.

Thanks!
Dr. Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 11:51 AM   #201
Member No. 1
I can use a custom title?

Oddometer: 6
[QUOTE=DennyIndy]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Member No. 1
is there or will there be a way to convert and/or send a .GPX file so that Google Earth can use it? ( .kmz .kml) As of now the only way I know of is with a second app./quote]

http://www.gpsbabel.org/

Does kml conversion, It reads and writes bunches of GPS file formats.
Thanks, Denny. Same handle on Zumo? Kingpin06 over there. Mama turned me onto the one I posted. I am hoping for something so I can export right from Bobcat. But I will try your suggestion.
Old 05-08-2008, 02:33 PM   #202
dannyt
Rinse and Repeat

Oddometer: 8
GarminMac - another feature that would help is make Bobcat remember the application window sizes and locations on the desktop. That way when you open it back up you don't have to move and resize the windows each time. Thanks
dannyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 03:42 PM   #203
GarminMac OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMdan
GarminMac - another feature that would help is make Bobcat remember the application window sizes and locations on the desktop. That way when you open it back up you don't have to move and resize the windows each time. Thanks
Agreed, this is something we have been trying to get around to doing for a while now. It will definately work that way in the final version. Thanks.
Old 05-08-2008, 08:53 PM   #204
MONK
Riding the North East

Oddometer: 62
Track Tool

Hi GarminMac, A true track tool would be nice so you can draw in the missing miles of tracks when you loose the satellite signal. Something like the one in MapSource would be nice. The track join is good if the tracks are close together otherwise you end up with a straight line across nowhere.

Thanks for helping monk.
00 KTM 380 EXC
MONK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 08:57 PM   #205
DennyIndy
Old F@rt

ie: remembering window position and size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarminMac
Agreed, this is something we have been trying to get around to doing for a while now. It will definately work that way in the final version. Thanks.

Thank You! more good news, I am beginning to like you guys.

I must say the first preview version of Bobcat was horribly dissapointing, but you've made great strides in a fairly short time. This latest beta is the biggest improvement, and I am very close to getting rid of that damned Virtual PC software.
Old 05-08-2008, 09:05 PM   #206
DennyIndy
Old F@rt

[quote=Member No. 1]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyIndy
Thanks, Denny. Same handle on Zumo? Kingpin06 over there. Mama turned me onto the one I posted. I am hoping for something so I can export right from Bobcat. But I will try your suggestion.
yes, i'd like to see Bobcat have the ability to write .gdb, .kml, .kmz, there are probably others that would be very useful too. For now I think the only option is another app to do the conversion. The Graphical front end for GPSBabel+ is pretty simple and not too hard to use. Just another step that could be eliminated.

yep I am denny on Zumo!

Cheers
Old 05-08-2008, 10:53 PM   #207
AugustFalcon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,022
Is anyone else using a Powerbook 12" and having any difficulty with Bobcat calculating long routes, e.g., never completing the route calculation on those routes greater than 250 to 300 miles?
AugustFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 04:58 PM   #208
bajafool
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
GarminMac,
I am a VERY new user of a GPS. I have been waiting patiently for Garmin to finally market Macintosh software and to offer something like Bobcat. So, last week I sprang for a Garmin GPSMAP 76CSx, along with City Navigator North America NT 2008 for Mac and US Topo NT 2008 for Mac.

I live near San Diego, CA and I frequently ride offroad motorcycles in Baja California, Mexico. Up until now, I have been relegated to following my GPS owning friends. I am looking forward to being able to use my GPS for riding in the future.

One of the prime programs that is used for offroad motorcycling in Baja is a map that is published by BiCi Mapas, a company based in Mexico. The map that is used most often is BiCi Mapas Expeditioner. The webslte, located at this link http://www.bicimapas.com.mx/MexicGPSAtlasEn.htm says all of the right words, (i.e., Map Source compatible, useable by Garmin GPS). However, it appears that they download the software to your computer. Would it be possible for them to run their PC Windows based GPS map product through Bobcat Map Converter and then download it to a Macintosh computer? If possible, would a Macintosh user have a useable product compatible with Bobcat if they did this? They also offer the same program on an SD card. Would this be perhaps a better option, if you could run it through a card reader and then into a PC, then use Bobcat to produce the map software on a CD and load the CD into a Macintosh and then us Map Install?

Are you familiar with this product, that is have you tested it? If not, could you test it for inclusion in your catalog of tested Bobcat compatible software at some future time?

Finally, am I understanding correctly that 1 month after release and one week after I bought my GPS and the only two Macintosh compatible map progams released to date, that there are updates to 2009 available for US Topo NT 2008 for Mac and City Navigator North America NT 2008 for Mac? If so, what is required to update my software?

Now is the time for anyone who would care to, and at this stage of my learning curve this would include almost everyone on this thread, to jump in here and add some insight to my questions.
bajafool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 07:04 PM   #209
GarminMac OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajafool
GarminMac,
I am a VERY new user of a GPS. I have been waiting patiently for Garmin to finally market Macintosh software and to offer something like Bobcat. So, last week I sprang for a Garmin GPSMAP 76CSx, along with City Navigator North America NT 2008 for Mac and US Topo NT 2008 for Mac.

I live near San Diego, CA and I frequently ride offroad motorcycles in Baja California, Mexico. Up until now, I have been relegated to following my GPS owning friends. I am looking forward to being able to use my GPS for riding in the future.

One of the prime programs that is used for offroad motorcycling in Baja is a map that is published by BiCi Mapas, a company based in Mexico. The map that is used most often is BiCi Mapas Expeditioner. The webslte, located at this link http://www.bicimapas.com.mx/MexicGPSAtlasEn.htm says all of the right words, (i.e., Map Source compatible, useable by Garmin GPS). However, it appears that they download the software to your computer. Would it be possible for them to run their PC Windows based GPS map product through Bobcat Map Converter and then download it to a Macintosh computer? If possible, would a Macintosh user have a useable product compatible with Bobcat if they did this? They also offer the same program on an SD card. Would this be perhaps a better option, if you could run it through a card reader and then into a PC, then use Bobcat to produce the map software on a CD and load the CD into a Macintosh and then us Map Install?

Are you familiar with this product, that is have you tested it? If not, could you test it for inclusion in your catalog of tested Bobcat compatible software at some future time?

Finally, am I understanding correctly that 1 month after release and one week after I bought my GPS and the only two Macintosh compatible map progams released to date, that there are updates to 2009 available for US Topo NT 2008 for Mac and City Navigator North America NT 2008 for Mac? If so, what is required to update my software?

Now is the time for anyone who would care to, and at this stage of my learning curve this would include almost everyone on this thread, to jump in here and add some insight to my questions.
Welcome to the world of GPS!

I'm not familiar with these Mexican maps, but I will see if I can get a hold of a copy to test with. I've seen it mentioned on here before so I'm sure some people on here have experience using it in Bobcat, and maybe they can confirm that using MapConverter from a PC worked on it without a hitch. If you buy the SD card version (as far as I know) you won't be able to load it onto the computer because what will be on the SD will be a different format map than what Bobcat or MapSource use, so I would recommend the DVD version instead so you can use it on the computer + GPS.

In regards to the map updates... I would contact our customer support to see what you can do to get the updates to the new CNNA 09. My understanding is that they will give you the Mac Map Update for free if you recently bought the GPS, however I cannot gaurantee this policy (engineering department doesn't usually get filled in on these sorts of things )

Have fun with your new GPS and hopefully others can fill you in on some tips and tricks.
Old 05-11-2008, 05:47 PM   #210
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 27,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by bajafool
One of the prime programs that is used for offroad motorcycling in Baja is a map that is published by BiCi Mapas, a company based in Mexico. The map that is used most often is BiCi Mapas Expeditioner. The webslte, located at this link http://www.bicimapas.com.mx/MexicGPSAtlasEn.htm says all of the right words, (i.e., Map Source compatible, useable by Garmin GPS).

I've already downloaded the Bici maps to my Zumo.

See the other Mac thread ("... at Last...") for the process.