ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 4.88 average. Display Modes
Old 05-12-2008, 06:53 AM   #211
pouw
2 valve junk

Oddometer: 10
Hi GarminMac, will be the final version of Bobcat a native version or only Englisch.
Would be nice if i can use Bobcat in Dutch.

Is it posible that you bild in a "Roadbook editor" in Bobcat so i can make a roadbook from a track.
With a route i can go to "route properties" and than to "directions" and when i print this i have i nice roadbook, with a track this will not work.
In "track properties" i can't fill in the icoons like "turn right" or "turn left" etc.
With a bild in Roadbook editor i can place the icoons my self where needed.
pouw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 12:01 PM   #212
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 27,903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobby
I just bought my Zumo and when I registered the device, was informed by Garmin's web site that I qualified for the free update.

I chose to pay the $10 to get the disk, as I need to have the software on 2 computers.

edit: delivery was quoted as 4 - 6 weeks.

I got the disk this past weekend. Not 4 - 6 weeks, but 1.

I'm speshul!
Old 05-12-2008, 01:31 PM   #213
bajafool
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
GarminMac,
A reseller of the BiCiMapas Mexico map series just sent me an email with a small sample map attached, that I assume he converted using Bobcat. I opened it and loaded it to Bobcat on my Macintosh with no problem. I haven't tried to upload it to the Garmin GPS yet, hate to override my already installed City Navigator and US Topo maps. However, to complete the test, I suppose that I will have to do it.

The BiCi Mapas folks do not offer a DVD version of their maps. They offer a download to your computer for $95 or will sell you the map on an SD card for $120. I don't know how the BiCi Mapas folks download to your computer, I assume as an attachment to an email? So, if you bought the SD card, ran it through a card reader into a PC, converted it using Map Converter and tried to install it in a Macintosh, you are saying that this process would NOT work? Are the SD cards for GPS's that can only use maps that are pre-loaded on memory cards?

If the sample map the reseller sent me is now resident in my Bobcat program, do you think that it is certain that it will upload in to the Garmin device?
bajafool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 02:01 PM   #214
2TrakR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by bajafool
So, if you bought the SD card, ran it through a card reader into a PC, converted it using Map Converter
MapConverter won't work on maps loaded to a SD card. They have to be installed into MapSource on the PC.

To use their maps you'll need to load them into MapSource on Windows, run MapConverter, then load into BobCat.
Or
Have the vendor convert the maps for you..
Old 05-12-2008, 03:00 PM   #215
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 27,903
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2TrakR

To use their maps you'll need to load them into MapSource on Windows, run MapConverter, then load into BobCat.
That's what I did. Worked fine.
Old 05-12-2008, 03:31 PM   #216
bajafool
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
GarminMac,
I got on the telephone and talked to one of the Bobcat team members at Garmin. "We" did in fact upload to my GPS the map sample that the BiCiMapas retailer sent me, that I had loaded on my Macintosh computer.

So, this is how it worked. The retailer sent me an attachment of a GPS map originally created in PC Windows format, that he converted using MapConverter into a Macintosh compatible format. I was able to open the attachment, load it to my Macintosh, find it in Bobcat and finally upload the sample map in the Garmin GPS device using MapInstall. I Love it!!!!!

The Garmin Macintosh team guy also said that preloaded maps on SD cards can't be converted to a Macintosh format. Don't need this more expensive option, even if it worked, now that I know that the download process works.
bajafool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 05:19 PM   #217
apeirce
So I was following Andrew

Oddometer: 2,722
So on the Garmin Website they have City Navigator NT MAC available. https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?...164&pvID=12535

Is this what we've all been waiting for? I called Garmin and they said wait 3 days until v9 comes out.

I'm sort of confused but have my credit card in hand just in case.
Old 05-13-2008, 12:30 AM   #218
pelo
Pelo&Hobbes950

Oddometer: 17
hi everybody,
i finally converted my maps from windows to mac format.
the bobcat works fine, i downloaded all my recent tracks and routes on the mac, that's fantastic!

i'd appreciate a feature to convert active tracks into routes (footprint icon into green squares track), i don't think it's possible at the moment, if yes, i cound'nt figure out how to.
thanks in advance.
ps. anyway i can do the conversion through the zumo but to operate on mac selecting multiple files at a time would be great (such as the "join paths" feature i really appreciated!)

well done to all garminmac team!!

pelo screwed with this post 05-13-2008 at 01:16 AM
pelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 06:18 AM   #219
Steve W
Old Grouch

Oddometer: 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by apeirce
So on the Garmin Website they have City Navigator NT MAC available. https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?...164&pvID=12535

Is this what we've all been waiting for? I called Garmin and they said wait 3 days until v9 comes out.

I'm sort of confused but have my credit card in hand just in case.
I think that this is converted maps only, no manipulation software (Bobcat) for the Mac. Still progress though.
Steve W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 06:39 AM   #220
apeirce
So I was following Andrew

Oddometer: 2,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve W
I think that this is converted maps only, no manipulation software (Bobcat) for the Mac. Still progress though.
The way Garmin made it sound on the phone, it sounded like it was Mapsource, this is why I'm confused (well one of the reasons .)
Old 05-13-2008, 07:50 AM   #221
Steve W
Old Grouch

Quote:
Originally Posted by apeirce
The way Garmin made it sound on the phone, it sounded like it was Mapsource, this is why I'm confused (well one of the reasons .)
Ahhh. It probably does contain Mapsource for the PC, a PC version of CN and a Mac version of CN.
Old 05-13-2008, 07:57 AM   #222
tafflink
Vicarious Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
Pissed

Bobcat has not been operating properly for me so I thought I'd start all over again and began by using Mapconverter to convert City Nav NA 08.

At about 95% of the way thru conversion I got the first window below in typically unintelligle Windoze-eze. This happened repeatedly. I went ahead and finished the process, hoping naively that it wouldn't matter. I loaded the file to an SD card, then tried to unarchive it on my Mac, which resulted in the second window.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.
Attached Images

tafflink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 08:27 AM   #223
Steve W
Old Grouch

Quote:
Originally Posted by tafflink
Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.
I had the same problem and I have have no idea what the fix is on a PC. I "think" I remember reading somewhere that it's an archiving issue and a different Windows archiver (than WinZip) would work. It was frustrating because I'd already converted the Canadian MetroGuide without issue. What worked for me was to do the conversion on a Windows install on my MacBook.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:07 AM   #224
sifr
n00b

Oddometer: 3
I'm just trying Bobcat for the very first time. Last night, I installed 2.0.0.4, and attempted to load the maps I converted.

When I use MapManager, it loads the maps fine (apparently).

But, when I fire up Bobcat, and go to Edit Unlock Codes, it shows the unlock code for the map I just loaded via MapManager, and "map product not installed".

If someone could tell me either:

a) a way to fix this, or
b) what files MapManager's moving/creating, and their location so I can just do it manually

I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

(P.S. - Yes, I correctly and successfully converted the unlocked maps from my PC using MapConverter. They were moved to my mac by burning them on a DVD, and there is no file corruption. I have the uncompressed .gmapi directories on my Mac, containing the .gmap and .ucx files for each map.

I noticed the presence of a Maps subfolder in the Garmin subdirectory of ~Library/Application\ Support, containing an UnlockCodes.ucx file. Is MapManager supposed to just put a copy of each into that Maps subfolder? because it's not.)

EDIT: I manually copied the .gmap and .ucx file from one of the converted map packages into ~Library/Application\ Support/Garmin/Maps, and started Bobcat. Bobcat now recognizes that map, and allows me to select it from the pulldown.

Seems there's a bug in MapManager.

EDIT #2: I manually edited the UnlockCodes.ucx file, adding a 2nd unlock code by cutting and pasting the appropriate section of XML, and copied over the second map, and it is recognized as well.

Also, MapManager seems rather fond of throwing SIGABRTs. If you'd like more detailed error reporting on it (since MapManager doesn't seem to have the error reporting capability that Bobcat does), I'd be happy to provide it. I can reliably reproduce them.

sifr screwed with this post 05-13-2008 at 09:26 AM
sifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 09:31 AM   #225
sifr
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tafflink
Bobcat has not been operating properly for me so I thought I'd start all over again and began by using Mapconverter to convert City Nav NA 08.

At about 95% of the way thru conversion I got the first window below in typically unintelligle Windoze-eze. This happened repeatedly. I went ahead and finished the process, hoping naively that it wouldn't matter. I loaded the file to an SD card, then tried to unarchive it on my Mac, which resulted in the second window.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

I had the same problem.

From the research I did, you have two options:

1) Replace the bsdtar that was shipped with MapConverter with a newer version, which seems not to crash, or

2) do not use compression in MapConverter (this is the method I chose, as I didn't much feel like spending the evening hunting down bsdtar just so I could save a bit of space creating a tar'd, gzip'd copy of the data that had already been converted -- which is what bsdtar does. ".tgz" is a common Unix filename extension indicating that a directory has been run through the tar utility, and subsequently compressed using gzip. And that's bsdtar's function.)

Of course, if you go with #2, you'll discover that Windows doesn't natively support burning files to DVD the way it does with CD, and you'll have to use a third-party application to do this.

Alternately, if you have a 4GB USB flash drive, you could just copy the uncompressed directories over to it, and then copy them from it to the Mac. I believe you can pick up 4GB flash drives for about $20 these days.
sifr is offline   Reply With Quote