ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 4.86 average. Display Modes
Old 05-13-2008, 11:28 AM   #226
2TrakR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by tafflink
At about 95% of the way thru conversion I got the first window below in typically unintelligle Windoze-eze. This happened repeatedly.
I'll confirm what others have posted on this one..

In my experience, the file is ready to go, it's just failing during the tar process. If you acknowledge the message, it will result in unusable files.

However, if you leave the error message open, you can grab the converted and zipped archive, which is A-OK. It's in the folder you specified for the output of the conversion process.
Copy that zip archive to the Mac and unzip it. You'll be able to load the map with MapManager just like if the process actually worked.

If the process worked you'd end up with a gz file (or is it just tar'd... can't remember now). Sort of like double compressing a file.
Old 05-13-2008, 12:29 PM   #227
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 27,844
Quote:
Originally Posted by sifr

2) do not use compression in MapConverter
That's what I had to do; the 2nd time for my Zumo. The 1st time, for the 276c, all the maps converted with the compression just fine.

Old 05-13-2008, 12:41 PM   #228
sifr
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2TrakR
I'll confirm what others have posted on this one..

In my experience, the file is ready to go, it's just failing during the tar process. If you acknowledge the message, it will result in unusable files.

However, if you leave the error message open, you can grab the converted and zipped archive, which is A-OK. It's in the folder you specified for the output of the conversion process.
Copy that zip archive to the Mac and unzip it. You'll be able to load the map with MapManager just like if the process actually worked.

If the process worked you'd end up with a gz file (or is it just tar'd... can't remember now). Sort of like double compressing a file.

Not quite. Tar is not a compression utility; it is an archiver. Tar creates a single file with the contents of one or more files within it. There is no compression taking place. You generally use tar when you have a directory full of files and subdirectories you wish to move as a single file. The single file will be the same size as the original files/directories given as arguments to tar.

Gzip is a compression utility, and is used to compress single files. Thus, it is very commonly used to compress the single-file output of a tar operation, to make it smaller and more manageable.

Rather than ignoring the error message, one can choose not to select "use compression" in the MapConverter dialogue when asked, and you'll have a .gmapi directory (which appears as a package in OS X) when the process completes. If one copies that .gmapi directory to the Mac, MapManager should do the right thing with it (assuming MapManager doesn't crash or exhibit other bugs, that is).

If all else fails, you can view the contents of the package and use the procedure I outlined a few posts back to manually copy the map file and unlock data to the same place MapManager would put it for use by Bobcat.
sifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 01:00 PM   #229
Dr. Greg
Tryin' to get home..

Oddometer: 1,153
Where is MapInstall.app?

I successfully converted maps, installed Bobcat (first version), etc.

Seeing some map support, I installed the most recent version and it works fine for route planning, etc.

However, when I download info to the GPS, waypoints, routes are downloaded but then I get a "ping" then a box comes up "Where is Garmin MapInstall.app"?

All I have installed is Garmin Bobcat and Garmin MapManager...what am I missing?

I'm leaving for a two-week trip Monday and I was hoping to take the MacBook instead of my ancient PC laptop.

Thanks for any help.
Dr. Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 01:11 PM   #230
Dr. Greg
Tryin' to get home..

Never mind, I got it

Shoulda looked a little harder...
Old 05-13-2008, 06:35 PM   #231
jaybob
Living the Dream

Oddometer: 505
waypoints

Is there a way to select and delete multiple points on a track?

J
Old 05-13-2008, 07:01 PM   #232
jaybob
Living the Dream

Oddometer: 505
waypoints

Nevermind, got it
Old 05-14-2008, 02:38 AM   #233
pelo
Pelo&Hobbes950

Oddometer: 17
i also submit i couldn't use the compression feature in mapconverter.
Using uncompressed maps worked fine.
pelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 04:39 AM   #234
X-Rated
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
Bobcat - duplicate route?

OK - maybe I'm missing something very obvious here, but is there no way within Bobcat to duplicate a route?

I installed Bobcat v2.0.0.4 three days ago on my MacBook (2.2ghz, 4gb RAM). I've converted and moved over the maps from my City Navigator Australia NT 2008 and MapSource installation in my Parallels 'C' drive, and Bobcat is recognising them without a hitch.

As my first experiment, I slowly created a 37 via point route that runs through the firetrails etc near home. Next, I want to use that route as a basis for a couple of variations of that route - IE: I want to create short, medium and long versions.

Do I have to laboriously build the additional routes by dragging in each waypoint to a completely new route, or is there some way to just duplicate the existing route and then rename/modify the dupe?

I'm looking for suggestions here! I had been route planning using TYRE under Windows in Parallels, and have nothing but praise for TYRE. I've now moved from TomTom to Garmin hardware, so I figured I should give Bobcat a try....

Al
Old 05-14-2008, 07:12 AM   #235
Steve W
Old Grouch

Oddometer: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Rated
Do I have to laboriously build the additional routes by dragging in each waypoint to a completely new route, or is there some way to just duplicate the existing route and then rename/modify the dupe?

Al
Create a new folder, select the route you want, drag a copy over to the new folder, rename it.
Steve W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 08:36 AM   #236
2TrakR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by sifr
Rather than ignoring the error message, one can choose not to select "use compression" in the MapConverter dialogue when asked, and you'll have a .gmapi directory
Must be time to update my copy of MapConverter as it does not have the option to use/not use compression.
Old 05-14-2008, 10:03 AM   #237
Van Isle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 850
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2TrakR
Must be time to update my copy of MapConverter as it does not have the option to use/not use compression.
Me too...but I downloaded the "latest" last night! Worked fine for Topo Canada - and previously for Metro Canada - but I cannot yet get it to work for my BlueChart stuff (inside passage of BC).

I've tried leaving the dialogue window open and snagging what's there as .gmapi, but it's only 311 mb. It says it installs successfully in Bobcat, but it ain't there when I go to use it.

There is no - I say again - no option to compress or not. Eh?

Q: Has anyone tried using Bobcat as their moving map software for RV, truck, boat? I don't think it can do that yet, can it? I.e. like Nroute?

(PS Bobcat is getting better w/every build!)

Cheers (and big thanks to Garminmac and the Garmin Corp types who understand the collective power of the interweb!)

VI
Van Isle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 12:32 PM   #238
hmadams
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
great info...thanks
hmadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 01:10 PM   #239
Dr. Greg
Tryin' to get home..

Folder becomes "Smart" folder...then no more changes?

Several times today I've experienced the following phenomenon...very annoying!

I'm composing a route contained within a folder. When I attempt to define a new waypoing I am informed that this is now a "smart" folder and I cannot modify its contents. I am given the option of copying everything into a new folder and resuming. I've had to do this several times in the process of composing some new routes. Clearly this behavior is not correct.

Anyone else see this?
Old 05-14-2008, 06:58 PM   #240
AugustFalcon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Greg
Several times today I've experienced the following phenomenon...very annoying!

I'm composing a route contained within a folder. When I attempt to define a new waypoing I am informed that this is now a "smart" folder and I cannot modify its contents. I am given the option of copying everything into a new folder and resuming. I've had to do this several times in the process of composing some new routes. Clearly this behavior is not correct.

Anyone else see this?
Happened to me once, too. I just ignored it and allowed it to copy everything into a new folder --- the "smart folder" just never appeared.
AugustFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote