ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.80 average. Display Modes
Old 05-14-2008, 06:49 PM   #241
markgsnw
WTF?

Oddometer: 3,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by sifr
I had the same problem.

From the research I did, you have two options:

1) Replace the bsdtar that was shipped with MapConverter with a newer version, which seems not to crash, or

2) do not use compression in MapConverter (this is the method I chose, as I didn't much feel like spending the evening hunting down bsdtar just so I could save a bit of space creating a tar'd, gzip'd copy of the data that had already been converted -- which is what bsdtar does. ".tgz" is a common Unix filename extension indicating that a directory has been run through the tar utility, and subsequently compressed using gzip. And that's bsdtar's function.)

Of course, if you go with #2, you'll discover that Windows doesn't natively support burning files to DVD the way it does with CD, and you'll have to use a third-party application to do this.

Alternately, if you have a 4GB USB flash drive, you could just copy the uncompressed directories over to it, and then copy them from it to the Mac. I believe you can pick up 4GB flash drives for about $20 these days.

It's been quite a while since I ran the Windows conversion, but the easy way around this was just to remove the bsdtar directory and skip the whole archive/compress/uncompress/unarchive rigamarole.

2011 Moto Guzzi Norge 8V GT
markgsnw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 07:01 PM   #242
Van Isle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 850
Quote:
Originally Posted by markgsnw
It's been quite a while since I ran the Windows conversion, but the easy way around this was just to remove the bsdtar directory and skip the whole archive/compress/uncompress/unarchive rigamarole.
Would you mind explaining that a bit more... I ain't gettin' it!

I'm sure I've done that and it still doesn't work. I open the folder labeled MapConverter and in there is a Folder labeled bsdtar. I've removed that folder and it's contents and attempted the conversion and it still fails. I'm wondering what else there is to do?

This is a legit, unlocked copy of Bluechart data that I can only get 311mb out of each time I run the conversion before it fails.

Cheers!

VI
Van Isle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 07:54 PM   #243
apeirce
So I was following Andrew

Oddometer: 2,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Greg
I'm leaving for a two-week trip Monday and I was hoping to take the MacBook instead of my ancient PC laptop.
You could always throw Windows on your MacBook. Its flawless on the Intel machines, except you're still running Windows.
Old 05-14-2008, 09:48 PM   #244
DennyIndy
Old F@rt

Oddometer: 349
Just search for the bsdtar folder and either rename it or delete it.

The conversion process will work fine, but it will skip the tar and gzip step.

you will have a folder named blah.gmapi

Just transfer that to your Mac and run map manager. That's how i did it when the bsdtar was giving me errors.
DennyIndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 03:31 AM   #245
X-Rated
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve W
Create a new folder, select the route you want, drag a copy over to the new folder, rename it.
Nope - I'm doing something wrong. Tried this, and I end up modifying the one and only route. I can verify this by looking in the 'smart folder' I created to show only routes - still only one route evident. Even if I temporarily create three new folders, and drag the original route from 'favorites' into each of these - there is still only one route evident in the smart folder. If I rename the route in any of these folders, the name of the route changes in each of the other folders.

I tried cmd-dragging, opt-dragging, etc, etc but still no luck.

I'm fresh out of ideas...

A
Old 05-15-2008, 05:43 AM   #246
thejosh
Chump

Oddometer: 454
Please add to the next revision

I downloaded the latest version of Bobcat and it still doesnt have the ability to copy and past routes together. I want to be able to open a route and then copy parts of another route and paste them together. I might be missing something but I don't think that Bobcat will do this yet. I can copy and past a route into another folder but I want to combine some routes that are broken up into 2 or 3 parts due to bobcat crashing while i was inputting them.
Is there a way to do this that I am missing?
Thanks. It keeps getting better and I appreciate all the work you Garmin guys are putting into this program for us Mac-ers.
2002 DR725! "Quasi-Moto"
thejosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 07:30 AM   #247
Steve W
Old Grouch

Oddometer: 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Rated
Nope - I'm doing something wrong. Tried this, and I end up modifying the one and only route. I can verify this by looking in the 'smart folder' I created to show only routes - still only one route evident. Even if I temporarily create three new folders, and drag the original route from 'favorites' into each of these - there is still only one route evident in the smart folder. If I rename the route in any of these folders, the name of the route changes in each of the other folders.

I tried cmd-dragging, opt-dragging, etc, etc but still no luck.

I'm fresh out of ideas...

A
Sorry, my apologies. You're right about the rename being universal. I didn't check the originating folder before posting the method. I hope that it gets fixed.

SW
Steve W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 03:54 PM   #248
DennyIndy
Old F@rt

Oddometer: 349
Convoluted as Hell But

Create a new folder
Rename the route you want to copy
Copy it to the new folder
Export the new folder as a GPX
Delete the new folder
Change the name of the original route back to the former name.
Import the GPX file
Create a new folder
Copy the contents of the Imported folder to the new folder.

Now you have an editable copy.......

Too many steps for such a simple thing, but I've done it this way and it worked.

This needs to be fixed, But I'd rather have the ability to drag the route around like in Mapsource and Google maps Before this is fixed, at least there is a workaround for this. I still have to use mapsource to compose the routes I want.
DennyIndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 05:02 AM   #249
Tim
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,356
Can't unzip MapConverter on the PC

"kay guys please type v-e-r-y- -s-l-o-w-l-y as I know nothing about PCs, I only have one to run MapSource on.

I have just downloaded MapConverter onto the PC but when I try to open it it opens a little box that shows a progress bar for the unzipping process but then just comes up with a message saying "Error" and the MapConverter is then not unzipped.

I have tried downloading Mapconverter several times but always get the same result, and I have also restarted the PC but still can't get MapConverter to unzip.

Can anyone please suggest what I may be doing wrong?

Thanks.
Old 05-16-2008, 05:07 PM   #250
AugustFalcon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim
"kay guys please type v-e-r-y- -s-l-o-w-l-y as I know nothing about PCs, I only have one to run MapSource on.

I have just downloaded MapConverter onto the PC but when I try to open it it opens a little box that shows a progress bar for the unzipping process but then just comes up with a message saying "Error" and the MapConverter is then not unzipped.

I have tried downloading Mapconverter several times but always get the same result, and I have also restarted the PC but still can't get MapConverter to unzip.

Can anyone please suggest what I may be doing wrong?

Thanks.
What version of MapConverter? It should be 2.0.1.0.

That version can be found at this link:

http://www8.garmin.com/support/downl...ls.jsp?id=3897 (This version is 3.20 MB)

Unfortunately, it appears that Garmin also has another map converter page that links to version 2.0.0.3Beta (this file is about 1.06 MB)

What version of windows? How much room do you have on your hard disk?

Do you know what folder it is trying to extract itself into? Does that folder exist; if not create it manually and try unzipping again. [Mine extracted to C:/Garmin]

AugustFalcon screwed with this post 05-16-2008 at 08:49 PM
AugustFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 07:39 PM   #251
Dr. Greg
Tryin' to get home..

Oddometer: 1,131
Sigh....won't recognize GPS (Quest)

Got an entire route planned & downloaded; wanted to change one thing so I changed it on the Quest GPS. Fine.

So I thought I'd change it on the Mac and re-download. But NO WAY NOHOW can I get the Mac to recognize the GPS. The "Send/Receive" menus are grayed-out. I've re-booted, restarted the GPS, everything.

SO THANKFUL I got the "Golden Download" to the GPS the last time so I have a route I can work with (leaving Monday morning).

So why doesn't Bobcat recognize the Quest GPS??? It did three hours ago...

I know...oughta get a newer GPS.

Anyohe have troube with Bobcat "recognizing" their GPS?
Dr. Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 05:13 AM   #252
Tim
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustFalcon
What version of MapConverter? It should be 2.0.1.0.

That version can be found at this link:

http://www8.garmin.com/support/downl...ls.jsp?id=3897 (This version is 3.20 MB)

Unfortunately, it appears that Garmin also has another map converter page that links to version 2.0.0.3Beta (this file is about 1.06 MB)

What version of windows? How much room do you have on your hard disk?

Do you know what folder it is trying to extract itself into? Does that folder exist; if not create it manually and try unzipping again. [Mine extracted to C:/Garmin]
Thanks AugustFalcon for your reply.

OK, i do seem to have downloaded the correct, 3.30 MB version of MapConverter.

As far as I can tell my Windows set up is Windows 98, Second Edition 4.10.2222 A. It tells me that I have 320.0 MB of RAM and that my System Resources are 60% ( I hope all this means something to you).

I don't know how to find out where it is trying to extract itself to, sorry if this is a stupid question but how can I find that out?

Thanks again
Old 05-17-2008, 05:37 AM   #253
rallybug
Local Yokel

Oddometer: 8,099
Tim, MapConverter requires Windows 2000 or later, so your Win 98 SE computer isn't compatible.

My Ride Reports
rallybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 11:05 AM   #254
AugustFalcon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by rallybug
Tim, MapConverter requires Windows 2000 or later, so your Win 98 SE computer isn't compatible.
+1
AugustFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 08:54 PM   #255
johnjen
Mod-U-Later

Oddometer: 15,369
Ok so I just downloaded the latest bobcat (2.0.0.4b) and tried to see if it will see my GPSmap176 and xfer files in either direction.

No Joy.

I also tried MapManager and it doesn't see the 176 either. I also have the sim card reader and tried it as well.

No Joy again.

So what are the magic steps I need to do in order to get this to work?

ps oh yeah. I did go into the interface setup menu and set it to "send waypoints".

JJ

WingMakers.com
Collected Works of the WingMakers Volume 1 pg. 590
johnjen is offline   Reply With Quote