ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 4.86 average. Display Modes
Old 05-18-2008, 07:24 AM   #256
kkesp
UPSIDERIGHT

Oddometer: 228
Detail on zoom in

I know this has been touched on a while ago but I have read nothing else about it. One has to be zoomed in to the .2 mile or less to see smaller secondary roads. It makes it very tiresome when working on a route. We need to see those roads at the 2 mile level. Mapsource has it out to the 1.2 mile level. That should be in the next revision.

Kris
kkesp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 07:25 AM   #257
2TrakR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2TrakR
Must be time to update my copy of MapConverter as it does not have the option to use/not use compression.
In case anyone else runs into this. I had v 2.0.0.3 beta installed. Installed the 2.0.1.0 release version. The beta remained in c:\program files\garmin\mapconverter\ and the new release version went into c:\garmin\mapconverter\

New version didn't install a shortcut (on my system anyway) and the existing Start Menu shortcut continued to point to the old version. Had to dig a bit to find the old beta version and toss it.

New version does have the option to choose whether or not to compress (as widely reported by others).
So, if you had one of the beta version installed you may want to add/remove programs or manually delete it.
Old 05-18-2008, 10:02 AM   #258
Steve W
Old Grouch

Oddometer: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjen
I also tried MapManager and it doesn't see the 176 either. I also have the sim card reader and tried it as well.
I'm not framiliar with the 176, is it a serial port interface originally? I know Bobcat will not see my eMap (serial port/usb converted) or the usb card burner. I'm betting that support for these units will be a long (or never) time coming.
Steve W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 10:04 AM   #259
Tim
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by rallybug
Tim, MapConverter requires Windows 2000 or later, so your Win 98 SE computer isn't compatible.
Oh FFS!

OK, guys, thanks.
Old 05-18-2008, 05:08 PM   #260
GarminMac OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejosh
I downloaded the latest version of Bobcat and it still doesnt have the ability to copy and past routes together. I want to be able to open a route and then copy parts of another route and paste them together. I might be missing something but I don't think that Bobcat will do this yet. I can copy and past a route into another folder but I want to combine some routes that are broken up into 2 or 3 parts due to bobcat crashing while i was inputting them.
Is there a way to do this that I am missing?
Thanks. It keeps getting better and I appreciate all the work you Garmin guys are putting into this program for us Mac-ers.
We are working on these type of features now. I haven't seen the prototypes for it yet, but I imagine it will work in a similar way to how google map's route appending works (grab a leg and drag it'ish).
GarminMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 06:18 PM   #261
johnjen
I've Been Resigned

Oddometer: 15,565
Yeah the 176 has a serial I/O port. So I procured a serial to USB converter but it mattered not.
The sim card reader is a USB device so it 'should' be available…
Alas, not so.

JJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve W
I'm not framiliar with the 176, is it a serial port interface originally? I know Bobcat will not see my eMap (serial port/usb converted) or the usb card burner. I'm betting that support for these units will be a long (or never) time coming.

WingMakers.com
Collected Works of the WingMakers Volume 1 pg. 590
johnjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 09:42 AM   #262
jaybob
Living the Dream

Oddometer: 505
Details Details Details

Let me cast my vote again that I would love to be able to set the detail level a little higher.

Next version? Or Longer?

BTW, I still love the software.

J
Old 05-21-2008, 10:14 AM   #263
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 27,707
Printing Options?

What sort of printing capabilities will Bobcat have?

I like to take paper copies of the areas I'm riding in, but pretty much all computer generated maps don't give me this functionality.

I'd love to be able to print an area of the map, with user selectable detail.
Old 05-21-2008, 10:53 AM   #264
christian
Exchange your GPS Track!

Oddometer: 2,631
Anybody got an older Ibook/macbook/powerbook I can buy for cheap.
I want to start using that bobcat thingy but I don't have a mac yet .

Trying to find something cheap to test things.

thanks

KTM 950 ADV '05.5
KTM 690 '10
christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 12:02 PM   #265
kkesp
UPSIDERIGHT

Oddometer: 228
Dragging a Route

In mapsource your could create a route from Point A to B then click on a section of the route and drag it ot a different road and it would incorporated into the route. Can that be done with Bobcat? Maybe I'm just not looking in the right place.
kkesp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 01:56 PM   #266
Steve W
Old Grouch

Oddometer: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkesp
In mapsource your could create a route from Point A to B then click on a section of the route and drag it ot a different road and it would incorporated into the route. Can that be done with Bobcat?
Not yet, but that feature has been promised.
Steve W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 04:24 PM   #267
B-Rod
RubberNecker

Oddometer: 1,894
I'm waiting for 'View in Google Earth' like Mapsource has. It would be fantastic to be able to fly the route I have made to see if it is actually the most interesting route.

I've saved (exported) my routes folder to the desktop, then opened them in Google Earth, but they appear as straight lines between waypoints. How to I get it to follow the roads? If this works, then I won't need my first wish.

Any ideas?
B-Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 06:28 PM   #268
apeirce
So I was following Andrew

Oddometer: 2,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Rod
I'm waiting for 'View in Google Earth' like Mapsource has. It would be fantastic to be able to fly the route I have made to see if it is actually the most interesting route.

I've saved (exported) my routes folder to the desktop, then opened them in Google Earth, but they appear as straight lines between waypoints. How to I get it to follow the roads? If this works, then I won't need my first wish.

Any ideas?
Get GPS Babel http://www.gpsbabel.org/ and export your tracks as KML, open up in Google Earth and fly route. Don't need Mapsource or any other software.
Old 05-21-2008, 09:19 PM   #269
B-Rod
RubberNecker

Oddometer: 1,894
Well, I tried GPSbabel, and it's doing the same as what the exported folder did. I converted the MyRoutes.GPX that was exported to the desktop into a gpsbabel_output.kml, and it still shows the straight lines. Am I retarded?

Here's how the route displays in Bobcat

And here's how the kml displays in Google Earth

B-Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 10:07 AM   #270
GarminMac OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybob
Let me cast my vote again that I would love to be able to set the detail level a little higher.

Next version? Or Longer?

BTW, I still love the software.

J
I am happy to announce that this will be definately be in our next version which should be out in a few weeks.
GarminMac is offline   Reply With Quote