ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 4.86 average. Display Modes
Old 06-04-2008, 11:15 AM   #361
Ronyx
Mo shile togam suas

Oddometer: 213
Thanks for the response and the good explanation. That is good to know.
Old 06-04-2008, 11:19 AM   #362
Ronyx
Mo shile togam suas

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarminMac
Believe it or not, the min/mid/max thing is actually not a bug. It may seem a bit weird, but when you turn the detail all the way down you end up just seeing the basemap in most cases . . .
What about the lake not showing up in detail view. Is this also a data issue with the base map having more detail than the detail map?
Old 06-04-2008, 11:27 AM   #363
GarminMac OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronyx
What about the lake not showing up in detail view. Is this also a data issue with the base map having more detail than the detail map?
Yeah, I've seen this happen in cases before where the basemap has a lake, but the detail maps don't. I really don't know why the data is like this. Sometimes the lake will show up as you zoom in more, but not always. What map are you using, and in where in the US are you displaying? I'd like to check it out for myself.
GarminMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 01:47 PM   #364
Ronyx
Mo shile togam suas

Quote:
Yeah, I've seen this happen in cases before where the basemap has a lake, but the detail maps don't. I really don't know why the data is like this. Sometimes the lake will show up as you zoom in more, but not always. What map are you using, and in where in the US are you displaying? I'd like to check it out for myself.
It is in Alberta Canada and I'm using NT 2009. I'll check the coordinates tonight.
Old 06-04-2008, 04:00 PM   #365
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 27,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobby
What sort of printing capabilities will Bobcat have?

I like to take paper copies of the areas I'm riding in, but pretty much all computer generated maps don't give me this functionality.

I'd love to be able to print an area of the map, with user selectable detail.

Brian, when you get a chance, can you comment on this, please?
Old 06-04-2008, 04:56 PM   #366
GarminMac OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobby
Brian, when you get a chance, can you comment on this, please?
We don't plan on adding a print functionality before the first official release. One thing I have been doing if I need to print out the map is taking a screenshot (cmd + shift + 3) and then printing that out. Its not optimal, but works.
Old 06-04-2008, 05:44 PM   #367
Squelch
Everyday People

Oddometer: 1,103
Any hope for the things I mentioned yesterday before all those big map pictures?
Squelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 06:16 PM   #368
GarminMac OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squelch
Hey Brian,

First of all, I love Bobcat. I find it way better than MapSource. I have a few suggestions / questions.

-> Is it possible to add the ability to make subfolders? For instance, I want to make a folder for "Vacation 2008" and then subfolders that are different states that I will be riding in during my vacation. Right now I've got it set up so that I just have a crapload of folders in that window on the left-hand side.

Great idea, but due to some time constraints they will not be in a near future release. This will go on our future to do list.

-> I have a smart folder for "All Tracks". Right now it sorts alphabetically and by number. That means that a track from 26MAY comes between 26APR and 27MAY. Can you change that so that the tracks are sorted by the actual date? (I really love the smart folders though -

Bobcat sorts based alphabetically, as you noted. We don't really have great way of parsing the date from the track name string because various Garmin devices name tracks differently. You should however, be able to change the way tracks are named on your device so they are named like YYYYMMDD. This should alleviate the problem.

-> Can you make an easier way to archive and/or move data from one computer to another? I have a Mac Pro that I use for most of my route planning, but a MacBook Air that I bring with me on trips. It's a pain to go through each folder, (like I said, I have a bunch of folders) and CMD-E each folder to export, copy all those individual folders to the other computer, and CMD-O import them. If I could use shift or option to highlight certain folders and do a mass export, that would be great. Or if that's not possible, just do one massive archive of all folders and then have one file to transfer.

This is currently only possible by copying the .gdb and .gfi files from ~/Library/Application Support/Garmin/Bobcat and moving them to that same location on the other computer. The .gdb file contains all of your data, and the .gfi file contains the info about your folder structure.

-> Speaking of Air, is it possible to implement the pinch/spread zoom function? I think it will be coming to all the Mac laptops soon. For an example, see: http://movies.apple.com/movies/us/ap...r320-13cie.mov

Simple answer is no. Apple has not released the API for 3rd party developers to use the mutli touch track pad on the Air. Once Apple makes this available to us we will take advantage of it.

-> Oh, and can you give us a status bar that shows how many of each thing is in the folder? As I copy from one Mac to another, I want to make sure that I got all the different waypoints and all. Better to find out in my office than out on the road, (especially since I can't get that damn Back to My Mac working...)

We may be able to squeeze this one in before the release. If not, I will make a case on our to do list.

Those are the only nits I can pick at the moment. This program is great, and it's so nice to cut the Windows leash...

Sean
See my inline comments above...

Phew, that was a lot of stuff to think about
Old 06-04-2008, 06:38 PM   #369
reddof
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
MacErrorReporter.app resides inside of the Garmin Bobcat.app. If you right click on Garmin Bobcat.app and select Show Package Contents, then browse to /Contents/Resources/ and check to see if MacErrorReporter.app is in there. If not, try redownloading Bobcat and let me know if you still get these issues.
Thank you for the help. From the Browse dialog I was able to just select Garmin Bobcat.app and it find the other app inside the package. It still is crashing on startup (which happened on 2.0.0.4 as well), but I was able to report the error at least.

As for the display issue, I deleted every piece of user data I could find for the app and it is now showing properly.

One note about usability, I am not really a fan of how Bobcat puts everything into a single document and using the folders to organize data. It seems that all the waypoints and routes still causes the program to slow down significantly, especially because there are times when I have to click the "My Collection" folder. I like being able to have different trips saved away in different documents.

Here is how I end up having to use it because of the number of waypoints/routes and how it kills the application. I put everything I'm working on into a folder. To save, I export the folder and then delete it. When I want to work on a different project, I import it. Do the work, and repeat. Rather painful.

Otherwise, great work. I really like the program and am VERY glad to see support for the Mac.
reddof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 07:42 PM   #370
reddof
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallybug
Any way of changing the icon for a whole load of imported entries from a GDB file?

I've imported a list of campsites in France, and they all have a green dot as the symbol, but I'd prefer them to come in as the tent symbol for obvious reasons As there are 414 of the brutes to change, a mass-change option would be cool
I agree I would like to see this feature. I am wanting to do the exact same thing. MapSource can do this by selecting them all and going into Properties. I'd like to see this in Bobcat.

I worked around it by exporting the folder, loading it into MapSource, making the change, and reimporting it to Bobcat.

Thanks.

reddof screwed with this post 06-04-2008 at 07:52 PM
Old 06-04-2008, 08:01 PM   #371
reddof
Adventurer

Something strange I just noticed. I'm sure it is normal, but thought I'd ask. I noticed that that an area of the map will show different detail depending on where it is at on the screen. As you pan the map, different information shows up and disappears even though the detail level is constant.

It confused me at first because I was panning the view so I could center a particular area. As it moved to the center of the screen, I lost some of the information from view.

What is the reason for this?
Old 06-04-2008, 08:13 PM   #372
DennyIndy
Old F@rt

Oddometer: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddof

One note about usability, I am not really a fan of how Bobcat puts everything into a single document and using the folders to organize data. It seems that all the waypoints and routes still causes the program to slow down significantly, especially because there are times when I have to click the "My Collection" folder. I like being able to have different trips saved away in different documents.

Here is how I end up having to use it because of the number of waypoints/routes and how it kills the application. I put everything I'm working on into a folder. To save, I export the folder and then delete it. When I want to work on a different project, I import it. Do the work, and repeat. Rather painful.
I agree with this too. I've not tried archiving my data and deleting it until I read this. I must say Bobcat is significantly more useable with less data in the My Collections folder. I am not a fan of the iTunes like interface either. A conventional file based approach would be much better for the way I use the application. The ability to have two files open at the same time as can be done by launching MapSource multiple times would add immensly to the ease of use also. Using Import and Export seems painful to me also, where open/save would be much easier. i also realize a change like that is not too likely at this stage of the development process either.
DennyIndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 08:21 PM   #373
Squelch
Everyday People

Oddometer: 1,103
Quote:
See my inline comments above...

Phew, that was a lot of stuff to think about
Awesome, thanks. You're making a lot of friends here by being a customer service representative as well as a techie.

I didn't know about the .gdb and .gfi files. That seems much easier than CMD-O and CMD-E. Thanks for the tip. I just made a small application with automator to copy from one computer to the other. So when I change something on one computer or the other, I can just copy the .gdb and .gfi files. Sweet! And since I finally got BTMM working I can do it over the interwebs.

How does one change the track naming convention on a Zumo? I played with the settings and couldn't figure it out... I guess I just need to be better about naming my tracks as soon as I get them off the Zumo instead of doing it every month or so...

Squelch screwed with this post 06-04-2008 at 08:44 PM
Squelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 08:46 PM   #374
Ronyx
Mo shile togam suas

Quote:
As promised, here are the coordinates.

N50 33.589 W113 42.754
Old 06-04-2008, 09:38 PM   #375
GarminMac OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddof

I agree I would like to see this feature. I am wanting to do the exact same thing. MapSource can do this by selecting them all and going into Properties. I'd like to see this in Bobcat.

I worked around it by exporting the folder, loading it into MapSource, making the change, and reimporting it to Bobcat.

Thanks.
As with any major design change, like going from document based to a database app, some people will love it and others will hate it. The crowd that browses these forums generally has much more data than the average "Just bought a Nuvi and need to save some waypoints to it" crowd, which means longer load and draw times. In the next month we will be focusing much of our effort to performance increases to make life easier for you guys that have 2000 waypoints in My Collection.