ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 4.86 average. Display Modes
Old 04-16-2008, 10:32 AM   #46
RAZR
yup ima hairstylist

Oddometer: 8,680
so if i go and "BUY" the new 2009 edition for mac's i can just plug in my 76csx that i bought september 2007, and it will work, or do i need to re-read all the posts above and figure what will work for me?!?!!
RAZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 11:18 AM   #47
GarminMac OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock
Ah. I think I just figured out what happened: Your track has been read directly from your handheld. Mine was first read from my handheld, then I exported it to email it to someone, then I re-imported that file to test if it looked OK. Those are the tracks I'm looking at. So it seems that the export-import process strips the track of time (and speed) data.

Brian, comments? is this intentional?

Also, are "track points" another sub-species of points?
I did a quick test here, and my tracks retained all of their data after exporting/importing. The only time some track is stripped, AFAIK, is when a track is sent to a device because the devices do the stripping.
GarminMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 11:20 AM   #48
GarminMac OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilSpace
Brian, one question on where things are stored. I just installed City Nav 2009 and would like to remove the old map set. What's the best way to remove an old map set, such as my old City Nav 2008? I looked in ~\library and some other places and didn't see anything obvious.

TIA,

Phil
Maps are stored in either /Library/Application Support/Garmin/Maps or ~/Library/Application Support/Garmin/Maps depending on how it was installed. Check those two locations for your v8 maps and delete the .gmap file for the maps you want to remove.
Old 04-16-2008, 11:22 AM   #49
AugustFalcon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,038
Quote:
Ah. I think I just figured out what happened: Your track has been read directly from your handheld. Mine was first read from my handheld, then I exported it to email it to someone, then I re-imported that file to test if it looked OK. Those are the tracks I'm looking at. So it seems that the export-import process strips the track of time (and speed) data....
I'm not Brian but I have noticed that if I save a track on my 276C and then import the saved track into Bobcat or Mapsource the device has stripped out the time and speed from the track file. On the other hand, if I merely upload the original track (Active Log XXX) file without having saved it on the device it comes in with the time and speed.
AugustFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 11:23 AM   #50
GarminMac OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Brian, which are the "newer" and which are the "older" units? I guess what I'm asking is for a feature to force Bobcat to emulate routing as an "older" handheld would route... (I know, I know... the better solution is to buy a newer unit )

That way you could test your route, virtually "prerunning" it in Bobcat, instead of transferring it to your handheld, and letting it route in Demo mode, or even worse, getting out on your ride and finding out that instead of the twisty dirt road Bobcat routed you down, your handheld decided to take you through the suburban shopping mall parking lot via the interstate.
This isn't possible. Our devices do not advertise their auto routing version or their routing preferences, therefore the computer software has no way to tell how your device will route you. Unfortunately, the best solution is to try to match preferences manually, which should give you similar or duplicate routes.
Old 04-16-2008, 12:16 PM   #51
PhilSpace
The Gov

Oddometer: 35,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarminMac
Maps are stored in either /Library/Application Support/Garmin/Maps or ~/Library/Application Support/Garmin/Maps depending on how it was installed. Check those two locations for your v8 maps and delete the .gmap file for the maps you want to remove.
Thanks, I will dig around tonight.
PhilSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 02:34 PM   #52
adsinger
Ride fast. Stop often.

Oddometer: 199
Update Mac and Windows

Quote:
1. Yes. Please note that we have two versions of City Navigator North America 2009. You asked about the "Map Update" which has its own installer (ie no need for MapInstall). FYI, the other version is a standalone version that would require MapInstall. Basically, if you have a version of CN installed on your device then get the update, if not get the standalone version. Same maps, just one is a bit more expensive because it is not an upgrade.

2. The CN NA 2009 Map Update will result in the maps being installed on your Mac as well as on your device. Please be careful of one thing for me however... CN NA 2008 Map Update does NOT install on your Mac as well so make sure you get the 2009 version which just hit store shelves today.
Brian thanks very much for stepping up, joining this group, and helping us out.

I have an iMac on which I run Windows XP and OS/X Leopard. My map files as well as other data are on an external drive formatted in FAT32. This format can be accessed by both the OS/X and XP systems.

I've not used Mapconverter or Bobcat to date as I'm unsure whether I have to convert these files or not. Once the files are decompressed and installed on the hard drive, is there a difference between Mac and Windows map files? Or do I need to convert them all and create a Mac-able copy?

When upgrading to NA 2009 should I buy the Windows version, install it as I have previous versions, and then convert?

I want to run Garmin s/w on both sides of the iMac and am hoping I can run off a single file set, or at least have to buy only one of each mapset. Other than the techical issues, is there a Garmin decurity key restriction that would effect this?

Thanks again for your time.

alan.
adsinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 04:07 PM   #53
jaybob
Living the Dream

Oddometer: 505
So is Topo 2009 coming out soon also...I just bought 2008 yesterday.

J
Old 04-16-2008, 04:20 PM   #54
GarminMac OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybob
So is Topo 2009 coming out soon also...I just bought 2008 yesterday.

J
No, Topo 2008 is the latest version. I was only speaking about City Navigator North America which had a 2009 Map Update just released.
Old 04-16-2008, 04:22 PM   #55
christian
Exchange your GPS Track!

Oddometer: 2,620
Quote:
No, Topo 2008 is the latest version. I was only speaking about City Navigator North America which had a 2009 Map Update just released.
I just called and was told that I can't order it yet..
I have to wait a few more weeks...
Old 04-16-2008, 04:25 PM   #56
GarminMac OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by adsinger
Brian thanks very much for stepping up, joining this group, and helping us out.

I have an iMac on which I run Windows XP and OS/X Leopard. My map files as well as other data are on an external drive formatted in FAT32. This format can be accessed by both the OS/X and XP systems.

I've not used Mapconverter or Bobcat to date as I'm unsure whether I have to convert these files or not. Once the files are decompressed and installed on the hard drive, is there a difference between Mac and Windows map files? Or do I need to convert them all and create a Mac-able copy?

When upgrading to NA 2009 should I buy the Windows version, install it as I have previous versions, and then convert?

I want to run Garmin s/w on both sides of the iMac and am hoping I can run off a single file set, or at least have to buy only one of each mapset. Other than the techical issues, is there a Garmin decurity key restriction that would effect this?

Thanks again for your time.

alan.
The Windows versions of the maps are much different than the Mac versions. The Windows version use the Windows registry to store information and uses .cab files (Windows only) to store information.

The Mac version is stored in much different manner. The CNNA 2009 Map Update disc is dual format (Windows and Mac) so you could install the maps for both platforms from the disc. The unlock code is not computer/OS specific, but rather device specific, so you should not run into any licensing issues.
Old 04-16-2008, 04:29 PM   #57
GarminMac OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian
I just did a Google search and a handful of retailers appear to be selling and shipping the new update currently. I searched for "Garmin Map Update 2009 North America".
Old 04-16-2008, 04:36 PM   #58
PhilSpace
The Gov

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian
I ordered my from TVNAV, came in on Monday. Haven't seen any major differences yet in routing.
Old 04-16-2008, 04:39 PM   #59
PhilSpace
The Gov

Quote:

Thanks, it was ~/Library/Application Support/Garmin/Maps. Can't figure out how I missed it the first time :redwine

Also finally found the .gdb file, is it the same format as the standard Mapsource file?
Old 04-16-2008, 04:48 PM   #60
GarminMac OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilSpace
Thanks, it was ~/Library/Application Support/Garmin/Maps. Can't figure out how I missed it the first time :redwine

Also finally found the .gdb file, is it the same format as the standard Mapsource file?
Yes, same format. You can use them interchangeably.