ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.80 average. Display Modes
Old 02-18-2009, 06:01 AM   #961
dEAdEyE
practicing retirement

Oddometer: 121
recalculating

I'm interested in this too.I believe I have read that certain gps's automatically recalc' routes when transferred.I think i'm going to be in the same boat when I try to send to my 6ocsx.I think that is one reason why some guys prefer the 276c(it doesn't recalc).

but there's no sense in travelling if we've already been that way...KT Tunstall
dEAdEyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 07:47 AM   #962
GarminMac OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Rated
In May last year I bought an eTrex Vista HCX, and City Navigator Australia 2008. The purchase date entitled me to a free upgrade to CNA 2009 when it became available. I'm leaving the GPS with the dealer from whom I purchased the unit this weekend, for them to load the new maps, and they will ship my GPS back to me within a week. Great so far...

But how do I get those new maps back up onto my MacBook, unlocked, for use in RoadTrip?.

I have downloaded the new maps via my my.garmin.com account, but the product key that the my.garmin site produced for me doesn't work, instead giving me an error message "invalid product code", when it clearly is the code!

Al
Are you entering the product code in RoadTrip somewhere or are you entering it in the CNA 09 Map Update software?
GarminMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 08:09 AM   #963
Rode2Nowhere
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by dEAdEyE
I believe I have read that certain gps's automatically recalc' routes when transferred.I think i'm going to be in the same boat when I try to send to my 6ocsx.I think that is one reason why some guys prefer the 276c(it doesn't recalc).
ah HA! So its based on the unit? Maybe this is an option I can play with when I get home. Thanks.

Anyone else similar experience?
IBA #45896
Adirondack Tags
Rode2Nowhere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 08:37 AM   #964
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer: 4,165
I have a new question and it is one I ran into with the Windoze version as well so I'm sure it's user error.

When I recalculate a route- I don't like what it chose so I drag and drop to the route I really wanted- it puts in a via point. Well I don't want a via point, I just want to route to go that way.

When I tried to delete that via point, it deletes either the entire route, or a good portion of it. Any ideas of what I'm doing wrong?
Old 02-18-2009, 09:21 AM   #965
Steve W
Old Grouch

Oddometer: 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by longtallsally
I have a new question and it is one I ran into with the Windoze version as well so I'm sure it's user error.

When I recalculate a route- I don't like what it chose so I drag and drop to the route I really wanted- it puts in a via point. Well I don't want a via point, I just want to route to go that way.

When I tried to delete that via point, it deletes either the entire route, or a good portion of it. Any ideas of what I'm doing wrong?
Sorry, that's the way it works. The via point is Garmin's way of telling the program "go here, then there". Without the via point the program reverts to it's auto routing algorithm that you didn't want originally. If it's those ugly flags marking the via points that bothers you, they can be changed to a small dot (or whatever existing symbol you want) in the via point properties window.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:00 AM   #966
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 45,334
This is not a PC/Mac issue, it has to do with your settings on your GPS.

Go in the menu and turn off the "Auto Route Recalculation".

Then, transfer the route to the GPS, and activate it. It'll follow what you laid out.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:08 AM   #967
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer: 4,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve W
Sorry, that's the way it works. The via point is Garmin's way of telling the program "go here, then there". Without the via point the program reverts to it's auto routing algorithm that you didn't want originally. If it's those ugly flags marking the via points that bothers you, they can be changed to a small dot (or whatever existing symbol you want) in the via point properties window.
I thought this might be the case, but you confirmed it. Thanks.
Old 02-18-2009, 11:19 AM   #968
dEAdEyE
practicing retirement

sending maps

I plotted a route on roads and rec,sent it to my 60csx but it does not send R&R maps with it and I had checked the box in preferences to send maps.What am I doing wrong?Is there any way to just send my R&R maps to the gps?I go to map info on the gps map page and R&R is not listed,just city nav maps.

Old 02-18-2009, 12:21 PM   #969
dEAdEyE
practicing retirement

map install

OK went to map install(in applications) and it will only let me select one or the other...not both maps

Old 02-19-2009, 02:17 AM   #970
X-Rated
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarminMac
Are you entering the product code in RoadTrip somewhere or are you entering it in the CNA 09 Map Update software?
When I start RoadTrip, RoadTrip presents me with a 'Locked Maps Detected' dialog, that tells me 'The following maps are locked and cannot be viewed in detail'. If I select the name of the subject map (City Navigator Australia NT 2009), and click 'unlock maps online', it opens Safari at this page:

https://my.garmin.com/maps/unlockMaps.htm

where the problem of the rejected Product Key is evident.

Still stuck...

A
Old 02-19-2009, 08:12 AM   #971
GarminMac OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Rated
When I start RoadTrip, RoadTrip presents me with a 'Locked Maps Detected' dialog, that tells me 'The following maps are locked and cannot be viewed in detail'. If I select the name of the subject map (City Navigator Australia NT 2009), and click 'unlock maps online', it opens Safari at this page:

https://my.garmin.com/maps/unlockMaps.htm

where the problem of the rejected Product Key is evident.

Still stuck...

A
The product key that I believe you are referring to is the product key that is entered in the map update software. That's the same code that the people that are updating your device will use when they run the update software.

To get the maps installed on your mac you have a couple choices. One thing you can do is run the map update software yourself, which will install the maps on your computer correctly. The other thing you can try is to retrieve the unlock code off of your device after it is returned to you from the people that are updating it. If you have a Zumo (or any other device that mounts as a Volume on your mac) you can grab this unlock code from the file GMAPPROM.unl on your device and enter it into RoadTrip in the unlock codes dialog.
GarminMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 09:39 AM   #972
dEAdEyE
practicing retirement

no workee

I opened map install select R&R and transfer,city nav is loaded to the gps.What's up?

Old 02-20-2009, 12:08 AM   #973
DennyIndy
Old F@rt

Oddometer: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarminMac
We are releasing a new version of RoadTrip in the next couple weeks that should fix this issue.
The natives are getting restless.

It's been 3 weeks since we heard this news.
DennyIndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 06:42 AM   #974
Riteris
Dessert Runner

Oddometer: 2,850
I have been playing with Road Trip in my 1.5 Ghz with 1 mg memory Mac Mini. I find that it is SLOW, to the point of almost being unusable. Way slower than mapsource in an old 493mhz windows laptop. Is that the nature of this software in a relatively slow computer?

I am taking the advice of all those people that told me, "Hey kid, why don't you go play in traffic!"

Riteris screwed with this post 02-20-2009 at 09:18 AM
Riteris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 11:58 AM   #975
dEAdEyE
practicing retirement

Finally

Ok I been playing with this.I did not realize when I selected the maps to download I also had to highlight the portions of the maps I wanted to download.
Road trip works pretty fast in my Powerbook G4