Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 50 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-17-2008, 07:24 AM   #16
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer: 46,270
Quote:
To my amazement, I saw a bright light outside my window. As my eyes adjusted to the view, I realized that the brilliance was the broad expanse of the Milky Way, now a gleaming stripe across the sky.Where dark spaces in the sky had usually existed, there were now dense clusters of sparkling stars. Shooting stars flashed across the canvas every few seconds. It was like a fireworks display with no sound.
I knew I had to get my eyes back on the instruments, and reluctantly I brought my attention back inside. To my surprise, with the cockpit lighting still off, I could see every gauge, lit by starlight. In the plane's mirrors, I could see the eerie shine of my gold spacesuit incandescently illuminated in a celestial glow.
incredible.

Like I like. Yep.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 07:31 AM   #17
Footprint
Rat race Dreamer

Oddometer: 2,885
My father was ground crew in 1968-69 before I was born. One of the few things he would talk about... always said the pilots would talk about how other planes just never seemed enough after flying the SR-71.

Wish he was still alive to pass on your story!!!

Thank you for your story!!

"If you sit around waiting for death to take you, you will miss life. Die living life to the fullest, don't live dying!" -patient
Footprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 07:38 AM   #18
seriousracer
be a man dodge tree bark

Oddometer: 7,426
air zoo in mi has one...... ohh i sported wood the whole time i was near it.

had a dinner with Father Theodore Hesburgh the conversation came about my SCCA racing and i had heard of the story he told next . but to hear from him was awsome.

It started with the line of "i always wanted to be the fastest padre on earth"...

he flew in a rear seat of an SR71.....

What great story....

be a man dodge tree bark!

We’ve said it before, but it bears repeating; the GS handles in ways a two-story building was never meant to.

Taking collections for Faye Butler Training please spare some change.

www.kmotorwerks.com

Remember red and yellow make orange.so to think orange is better means you have to use two steps to get there.
________
seriousracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 07:50 AM   #19
Motociclista
Custom User Title

Oddometer: 14,018

Thank you, thank you and THANK YOU.
Old 04-17-2008, 07:51 AM   #20
Bubblehead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 421
huh

OK, I see the tail numbers are different, but why the 2 canopies in the first pict? Was that a trainer???

Quote:
Originally Posted by TREE
Got this from jet pilot buddy:

I loved that jet.
99 F650 Black

"What a waste it is to lose one's mind. Or not to have a mind is being very wasteful. How true that is."

Rounder # 175
Xplor member
Bubblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 07:53 AM   #21
Flash412
Elk Biffer

Oddometer: 8,691
The FASTEST and the BIGGEST

Thank you for sharing your friend's EXCELLENT ride report.

Sorry about the shitty cell phone photos.
SR71 (the fastest plane ever built) parked under the wing of the Spruce Goose (the largest plane ever to fly), in the Evergreen Museum up in Oregon.

Links to Forty years of my Adventure RIDE REPORTS
Helmet laws interfere with natural selection.
Flash412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 07:55 AM   #22
Roughidle
Super Star Destroyer....

Oddometer: 1,494
Thanks for the story!

I have also always been facinated by that plane. I even jumped the chain on the the Deck of the Intrepid, just to touch an SR-71.
Old 04-17-2008, 07:58 AM   #23
MotoMike
Washed Up Desert Racer

Oddometer: 4,976
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead
OK, I see the tail numbers are different, but why the 2 canopies in the first pict? Was that a trainer???
They had sinle and 2 seat variants of the plane.

If you are in high desert of SoCal sometime, you really should check this palce out:

http://www.letsgoseeit.com/index/cou...rd_airpark.htm

Blackbird Air Park

The centerpiece of the museum is the tandem display of the SR-71 and its predecessor, the A-12.
The SR-71 is pictured on the left, with the A-12 to the right.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LOCKHEED SR-71A
The SR-71A reached a speed of Mach 1.5 during its maiden flight from Plant 42 on Dec 22, 1964. After extensive flight testing at nearby Edwards AFB, the Blackbird entered operational service with the Strategic Air Command (SAC) in Jan 1966 at Beale AFB, California. Primary overseas operating locations were Kadena AB, Japan and RAF Mildenhall, England. On Mar 6, 1990, and SR-71 set a transcontinental coast to coast record, flying 2,404 statute miles in 68 min 17 sec.

This aircraft, #61-7973, was delivered to SAC in 1968. It served its entire career in operational reconnaissance with the 9th SRW. It’s last flight was July 21, 1987 from Mildenhall to Plant 42. It has 1729.9 total flying hours. Restoration courtesy of Lockheed Advanced Development Company.

LOCKHEED A-12
The A-12 was the proof-of-concept vehicle for the SR-71 / YF-12 family of “Blackbirds.” It was the 12th in a series of designs for a U-2 replacement from Kelly Johnson’s “Skunk Works” at Lockheed, hence the designation “A-12.” Although its operational service is shrouded in secrecy, research indicates that the A-12 was used in covert operations by the CIA during the 1960s.

Of the fifteen A-12’s produced, this is the prototype aircraft, #60-6924 – the first one built and flown. It completed its maiden flight on 26 April 1962 with Lockheed test pilot Louis Schalk at the controls (it did, however, momentarily lift off during a high-speed taxi check two days earlier). Restoration courtesy of Lockheed Advanced Development Company.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LOCKHEED U-2
The U-2 was flown for the first time in August of 1955, with upgraded versions being flown to this day. It has been a workhorse of aerial surveillance for almost half a century. Unlike the SR-71 which can travel at speeds exceeding mach 3, the U-2 is a sub-sonic aircraft relying on its ability to reach great altitudes (above 70,000 ft.) for protection.

A trailer houses the museum's display of photos as well as technical and historical information about the Blackbird aircraft.

The Blackbird Air Park is located at the corner of 25th Street East and Avenue P, in Palmdale. See map.
It is open to the public from 11 AM to 4 PM, Friday thru Sunday. Admission and parking are free.
Old 04-17-2008, 08:11 AM   #24
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Oddometer: 1,571
The air museum in Tuscon, AZ has one, amongst their many other military planes. Its inside the first building, where you buy your ticket.

You can walk around it, underneath it, give it a full inspection. They also have one of the engines, an old recon camera, and some other goodies on display.

Truly a beautiful aircraft. Menacing too.

Kinda makes you wonder what they've done to improve on late 50s/60s era technology.
mark883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 08:14 AM   #25
Curvy
Lost Planet Airman

Oddometer: 8,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark883

Kinda makes you wonder what they've done to improve on late 50s/60s era technology.
It's called a "satellite"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satellite
Old 04-17-2008, 08:17 AM   #26
wannaklr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,234
So whatever happened to the "Aurora" spy plane that was hinted at years ago?

From Scottie Boy "If you calculated the money spent versus time actually used, vaginas cost more per hour than the space shuttle."
wannaklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 08:28 AM   #27
seriousracer
be a man dodge tree bark

Oddometer: 7,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red J
ohh thats too cool!!

be a man dodge tree bark!

We’ve said it before, but it bears repeating; the GS handles in ways a two-story building was never meant to.

Taking collections for Faye Butler Training please spare some change.

www.kmotorwerks.com

Remember red and yellow make orange.so to think orange is better means you have to use two steps to get there.
________
seriousracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 08:37 AM   #28
SofaKing
What the fark!!

Oddometer: 396
Thank you for sharing that incredible story. Gave me chills reading it.

I had the pleasure of seeing SR-71 (Habu) doing cool down laps over Okinawa in 88-89. Also caught it taking off once in the evening, you could see the engines go into the darkness forever.
SofaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 08:42 AM   #29
CA_Strom
Cunning Linguist

Oddometer: 2,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by linkweewee
"Los Angeles to Washington in 64 minutes, averaging 2,145 mph"
I used to do some consulting work at the NASA Ames/Dryden facility at Edwards AFB. I still remember being there shortly after that last flight from Edwards to D.C. in 64 minutes. My vendor contact at the site was explaining the details, and I was amazed, especially when he explained that the SR-71 was a 60's era aircraft that was still light years ahead of technology in the 1990's...... Fooking amazing.....
Old 04-17-2008, 08:44 AM   #30
gweaver
Wandering between rooms

Oddometer: 1,480
Chills down the spine and watery eyes.
You can really feel the...appreciation and love that the author had for that plane and his 'job'.
Thanks so much for sharing. Leaves this earthbound mortal a bit empty.

G
gweaver is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: