Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 47 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-17-2008, 12:29 PM   #61
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 73,967
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw4748
About 23 years ago I was talking flying lessons. My instructor was from either Denmark or Norway I cant remember. He told me a story about how the air defense forces radar used to go deep into Russia. And that once will they were watching they saw a blip at the deepest limit in Russia. On the next sweep the blip had crossed only a short distance on the screen but that 2 other blips popped up behind the first blip. On the next sweep the first blip was almost to the center of the screen and that the 2 following blips were about a quarter of the way across. On the next sweep the first blip was about 7/8 of the way across the screen and that the 2 following blips had only made it halfway. On the next sweep the screen was clear. He said they never heard anything official on what it was but that was something that they had all seen before.
He also had heard aircraft looking for clearances to descend to 80,000 feet.
It's all fun and games until someone pokes an eye out.

Only no-one ever poked the eye out of an SR71. Amazing vehicle.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 12:31 PM   #62
Jonnylotto
All out of care

Oddometer: 15,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by YakSpout
I borrowed a very old fiction paperback book from dad about some new ultra high-tech, speedy submarine and the people on it. I picked it up because the cover shot was a sub that looked like an inverted SR-71 with a narrow conning tower on top. I freaked when I saw that the publishing date on that novel was from 1959...
'59?

Couldn't have been Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, although I don't know if that story was based on something written earlier.
Old 04-17-2008, 12:34 PM   #63
Hair
Outside the boxer

Oddometer: 13,419
Quote:
Originally Posted by santaferider
living by proxy?

I need to meet a buddy who fucked Demi Moore when she was younger!!!

+1 I think that given the numbers your odds are not as bad as you might think.
Old 04-17-2008, 12:51 PM   #64
Gringo
simple by nature

Oddometer: 1,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw4748
About 23 years ago I was talking flying lessons. My instructor was from either Denmark or Norway I cant remember. He told me a story about how the air defense forces radar used to go deep into Russia. And that once will they were watching they saw a blip at the deepest limit in Russia. On the next sweep the blip had crossed only a short distance on the screen but that 2 other blips popped up behind the first blip. On the next sweep the first blip was almost to the center of the screen and that the 2 following blips were about a quarter of the way across. On the next sweep the first blip was about 7/8 of the way across the screen and that the 2 following blips had only made it halfway. On the next sweep the screen was clear. He said they never heard anything official on what it was but that was something that they had all seen before.
He also had heard aircraft looking for clearances to descend to 80,000 feet.
When I was in the Air Force I knew a guy who was based in Thailand during the Vietnam war, doing intel support for the SR71 flights over Vietnam. He said the North Vietnamese never had much of a chance - they got about 3 blips of it on their radar as it made its run over their country, and the first and last of those were when it was outside their borders!

Awesome story - thanks for posting!

"Ah, yes, Greasing the nipples is really the cure all for a whole host of ailments." - Stagehand
Gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 01:04 PM   #65
pacman1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,119
My son in front and an A-12 in Hunstville, AL. He had just finished a week of spacecamp and was giddy with space fever. He's going back for another week this summer.
Burleson, Texas

pacman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 01:06 PM   #66
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 73,967
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacman1
My son in front and an A-12 in Hunstville, AL. He had just finished a week of spacecamp and was giddy with space fever. He's going back for another week this summer.

I rode out there. It's a cool sight from the freeway going west, you can see the rockets.

But it's impossible to make a nice photograph of that plane in that damn location, with the fence and all. I tried every which way, never could get a cool shot, even tight ones showing the lines flowing.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 01:16 PM   #67
Flash412
Elk Biffer

Oddometer: 8,647
SR71 Blackbird + Engine Data (Boeing Museum, Seattle)

I have photos of the SR71 cockpit you can sit in at the Boeing Museum, but it's pretty much stripped except for the seat.
Links to Forty years of my Adventure RIDE REPORTS
Helmet laws interfere with natural selection.
Flash412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 01:38 PM   #68
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 5,669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnylotto
'59?

Couldn't have been Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, although I don't know if that story was based on something written earlier.
Nope. I'm waiting to see if Pop remembers the name of the book. He's probably still got it on a shelf out in the garage.
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 01:49 PM   #69
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 4,994
Amazing plane for sure. I got to see one in flight at Moffett Field back in the 80's.

It's interesting how the plane expands and contracts as it heats up and cools down. They only fill it up with enough fuel to get it off the ground then it gets topped off once in flight. Still amazing how this came out of the 60's and we don't really have anything that can compare to it. At least one that the public knows about.
Old 04-17-2008, 01:56 PM   #70
Phone Guy
Oddometer: 22,626

Oddometer: 630
I went to High School in Oroville California, which is about 25 or 30 miles north of Beal AFB. We would often see Sr-71's fly over on their way in or out or whatever they were doing. We saw many U-2 Spy planes also. I can remember 2 times that U-2's went down near where we lived. Needless to say they didn't allow photos or anyone getting within sight of the "crash site" One was actually a controlled Crash January 31, 1980 and the pilot survived as did the plane. Another time the plane actually crashed into the local newspaper building , http://members.tripod.com/~ffhiker/index-6.html not a good result.

I enlisted in the Air Force and went to boot camp on 10 February 1983. I was eventually stationed at Offutt AFB in Nebraska. Offutt is or was the Headquarters for the Strageic Air Command. At first I was not looking forward to going to the midwest but I have to say I loved it. I was and still am a Telephone Tech. I was assigned to the Headquarters building (Top Secret Clearance) and worked all levels including the underground command post. I didn't realize how cool it was at the time but many things I saw amazed me. I had the privlige of being down there while they were tracking a missle launch once. I couldn't tell you who's missle it was or where it was and I didn't ask. I was fixing phones but I watched.
Many times we would have SR-71's come in for one reason or another. They weren't assigned there but they would fly by for different events or Air shows.
I did some work for the NEACP crew the E4-B and solved a problem that noone else seemed to be able to. The truth is all I did was turn up the volume on their paging system that "never worked" and tested it, it worked fine. For that I was given a special "Ambasador Flight". I already had a TS clearance so that wasn't a problem. I sat in the cockpit behind the pilot, toured the plane, mid air refuled at night, 5 hours and 55 min. It was unbelievable to say the least. I could go on with lots of details of that flight but I wont. This is the exact plane I flew on, not like this but this one exactly http://www.fas.org/nuke/guide/usa/c3i/e-4b-clouds.jpg

E4-B http://www.fas.org/nuke/guide/usa/c3i/e-4b.htm

The SR-71 is the most amazing plane ever conceived. The thing was dreamed up in 1958. Can you imagine? Look at the technology we have now.
Sorry to go on so long but this brought back some great momories. Thanks

Oh by the way, My Son enlisted in the Air Force in 2003, Security Forces, got stationed at Beal AFB of all places. He went to Iraq for almost a year, did his 4 years and had enough of being a Cop so he got out and now works for the US post Office and is a Mail Carrier in Yuba City.

Phone Guy screwed with this post 04-17-2008 at 02:09 PM
Phone Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 02:23 PM   #71
McNeal
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,678
No school like the old school

Everytime I read anything about this plane or the Apollo program I get goose bumps thinking about the engineering involved. Slide rulers and the Mark I, Mod I brain. This is not to take anything away from the guys who flew those machines.
McNeal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 02:39 PM   #72
Dances With Roads
mild observations

Oddometer: 4,474
WOW!

WOWEWOWWOW!

WOW!

Thanks!
Dances With Roads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 03:05 PM   #73
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 5,669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnylotto
'59?

Found it... Was actually a 1977 reprint of a Frank Herbert book that came out in 1956. Originally titled "The Dragon in the Sea", the new version was retitled "Under Pressure" and received new cover art. Not quite as cool since the Blackbird was nearly two decades old by that point.

YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 03:08 PM   #74
UngaWunga
Mosquito bait

Oddometer: 6,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketJohn
The USS Intrepid aircraft carrier, and the aircraft aboard it, are decommissioned vessels that comprise the Intrepid Air and Sea Museum, at Pier 86 in New York City. The aircraft had been placed aboard the carrier.

The plane is, however, not an SR-71, but its similar looking predecessor A-12.

See: Google Earth at location 40 degrees 45'51.3" N x 74 degrees W.
Hey cool! Just up the street are a few buildings designed by Escher!
http://maps.google.com/maps?t=k&q=40...5,0.01193&z=17
Old 04-17-2008, 03:17 PM   #75
guns_equal_freedom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash412
SR71 Blackbird + Engine Data (Boeing Museum, Seattle)
The Habu at the Boeing Museum of Flight is the sole remaining M-21, not an A-12 and not an SR-71, and it has the D-21 drone mated to it.

Its USAF Serial Number is 60-6940, Lockheed constructors number "Article 134".
guns_equal_freedom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: