User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Yesterday, 08:15 PM   #1
JNRobert OP
Breaking Wind

Oddometer: 9,888
Real World Superbike - which is best?

I just sold my Street Triple R which I loved but I'm jonesing for a Supersport (even if it's only for a short while before the realities of ownership kick-in and I sell it for something more liveable).

The thought was a Daytona 675R but after sitting on the 899 Panigale that's now in the frame too. I'm not ruling out the big bikes either. I'm partial to a recent R1 or the BMW 1000RR. As much as I drool over the big Panigale, after test riding one I think the 899 would be more than enough bike.

But, then part of the ownership of this type of bike is to embrace the excess . . .

Opinions?

Old Yesterday, 08:27 PM   #2
pne
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 779
the R1 is very charismatic, but it is much wider feeling around the knees than the daytona or the panigale. That being said, it sounds way better than both of them but will be nowhere near as nimble feeling. It also throws a lot of heat due to the cat in the Y pipe. Looks I would have to award to the ducati. I just bought a standard D675 that I'm itching to try out in a few weeks.
Old Yesterday, 08:27 PM   #3
Tim_Tom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 368
Wicked

Of the three you posted pictures of I vote Panigale. Looks the best, more cutting edge tech than the Daytona or that generation R1. Better sounding, less bulky, more exciting.

However if you can find a leftover R1 you can get a crazy good deal now that the 2015 model has been announced.

Also by all accounts the S1kRR is the liter I-4 perfected. But I think you should also look at the ZX10R. It's ruled the Japanese Liter bikes for quite some time and punches well above is price tag.
Tim_Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:29 PM   #4
jersey jim
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,102
Those Panigales are just sex on wheels, that's my only contribution.

13 HD Ultra Limited, 03 Yamaha Road Star Warrior ( for sale! )
jersey jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:29 AM   #5
Omarius
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 408
S1000rr. Shift assist on up and downshifts, cruise control, heated grips, dynamic damping. Only problem with supersports is the scumbag cheapskates that crash them at the track and buy clearly stolen parts, thus creating demand for thieves. No fully faired supersport will last on the street given enough exposure. Prepare for theft accordingly.
Omarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:36 AM   #6
Cos
Re-Greekified

Oddometer: 10,431
"Real World" superbike?

From the big boys, i've always found the CBR1K to be the best real world bike because it has astonishing mid-range power, which is where i find myself to be on the street most of the time. Mind you, i've never ridden an S1000RR so i don't know anything about that and the maintenance on the Ducati scares the shit out of me.

From the "supersports":

Love the Daytona, though not the comfiest of the bunch (yes, i know they're not supposed to be). GSX-R 750 would be my choice.

Yeah, i know, this doesn't cover your choices but this is ADV after all
Cos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:36 AM   #7
USMC_Engineer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 177
The S1000RR is the fastest and smoothest bike I have ever ridden.

That said, If I had briefcases full of cash to blow on a bike it would be the ultra exclusive Ducati Superlegerra. I would probably have to pick up a Super duke too
Old Today, 03:05 AM   #8
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,695
The mags have done several conmparos between the 849 / 899 and the GSXR 750. They always read like this: Ducati! The sound! The history! The paint! Sex on wheels! Uhhh ... the Gixxer beat it by 2 seconds per lap all day long. Imo the perfect sportbike was, and is the GSXR 750.

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:13 AM   #9
EddyB
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
A real world superbike (I guess by a term superbike you do not mean a liter bike as you consider 675 and 899)?
Yamaha R3 sounds worth such a title.
Or KTM RC390.
EddyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:53 AM   #10
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNRobert View Post
I just sold my Street Triple R which I loved but I'm jonesing for a Supersport (even if it's only for a short while before the realities of ownership kick-in and I sell it for something more liveable).

The thought was a Daytona 675R but after sitting on the 899 Panigale that's now in the frame too. I'm not ruling out the big bikes either. I'm partial to a recent R1 or the BMW 1000RR. As much as I drool over the big Panigale, after test riding one I think the 899 would be more than enough bike.

But, then part of the ownership of this type of bike is to embrace the excess . . .

Opinions?
You're not giving us a whole lot to go on ...

What is driving this experiment with the wildly irrational and extraordinarily unnecessary?
Old Today, 05:02 AM   #11
ctromley
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cos View Post
"Real World" superbike?
Exactly.

I get the sense this is an experiment that may or may not last, just to try living the superbike life. Can't blame a guy for gaining real-life experiences. But there is nothing "Real World" about a superbike.

Are you planning a lot of track days? Then maybe I could see it. You literally can't see redline on the street without risking jail time on any of these bikes. All the other capabilities they have are similarly limited to the track. You can only get the barest whiff of them on the street. What is your goal here? To own the highest tech available, or to find the best combination of high performance and real world capabilities available?

Quote:
From the big boys, i've always found the CBR1K to be the best real world bike because it has astonishing mid-range power, which is where i find myself to be on the street most of the time. Mind you, i've never ridden an S1000RR so i don't know anything about that and the maintenance on the Ducati scares the shit out of me.
From articles I've seen, the BMW seems to have done the best job of making a ridiculous level of performance actually livable on the street. No small feat. There was one track comparison years ago that said the others were fast, but the S1000RR was like "trying to fly the fighter jet inside the hangar." Basically meaning it was the only one that made all the straights disappear, complicating corner exits and entries. And still it was the most refined and accessible on the street.

Oh, and I share the concern about maintenance on the Duc.

Quote:
From the "supersports":

Love the Daytona, though not the comfiest of the bunch (yes, i know they're not supposed to be). GSX-R 750 would be my choice.
This gets back to goals. Recent road tests confirm the superiority of the GSX-R 750, even though it's so old-tech. Relentless refinement works. So what do you want? The sexiest, highest-tech, newest high performance bike you can get, in other words the one that stirs your soul the most? Or the one that works the best, satisfying your head - and your soul when you're actually riding it?

I would argue that this whole conversation only makes sense if we're talking about a play bike, one that is only used to make quick weekend runs on twisty and deserted roads. But that's not the real world. For that, you need something light, with instantaneous reflexes and the ability to read your mind. The poise, balance, agility and grace of an accomplished dancer. A power curve that launches you Right Now, regardless of what gear you're in or how many revs you're turning. And a riding position that doesn't turn you into meat origami.

Something like a Street Triple R. Not trying to be ironic, but that's the bike that has always struck me as being the best available for real world duty. If you want something really special, for less than the cost of any of your superbike choices, try this:

Get a Street Triple R and an engine from a Tiger 800. Pull the crank from the 800 and send it out to get lightened (should be around $500). That brings back the "liveliness" of the 675 that was taken out of the 800 to make it more dirt-worthy. Button up the engine with no other changes, and swap it into the Street Triple.

Now you have a Street Triple with even fatter low- and mid-range punch, fixing what is arguably the only "shortcoming" it has. You'd have roll-on acceleration that even the literbikes can't match. (The Tiger 800 already beats many literbikes in roll-on, and it weighs 50-60 lbs. more than the Street Triple.) I'll bet it would give a good GSX-R 750 rider fits in the canyons. And if you feel the need, you could just as easily throw some soft bags on it and tour for a week with zero issues. You're much less likely to do that on any of the other choices (it's that origami thing).

But it wouldn't be the sexiest or highest tech.

Soul, or head?

ctromley screwed with this post Today at 09:06 AM
ctromley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:46 AM   #12
wpbarlow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,849
With the roads in the shape they're generally in, the best real world superbike is a.....naked

Seriously, unless you're doing a lot of track days, the naked versions of superbikes are much better in the world most of us inhabit.

No Yamaha version of course, and Ducati only has the smaller streetfighter or Hypermotard family. And you'd have to move up to a SpeedTriple in Triumph's line. The Aprilia V4 Tuono is rather amazing as well.

And add the SuperDuke 1290 of course

But hey, the nice thing is "your money- your choice".
wpbarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:52 AM   #13
JNRobert OP
Breaking Wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cos View Post
Yeah, i know, this doesn't cover your choices but this is ADV after all
No choices, considering everything
Old Today, 07:55 AM   #14
JNRobert OP
Breaking Wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moronic View Post
You're not giving us a whole lot to go on ...

What is driving this experiment with the wildly irrational and extraordinarily unnecessary?
Age, Feel (light high performance), contrariness, stupidity. I'll commute on it probably but I want to be engaged. And who knows maybe do a track day.
Old Today, 08:32 AM   #15
C/1/509
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,116
According to Bike magazine, the 899 is the best RR Ducati has ever made. That said, the S1000RR is more comfortable, faster and probably safer. Take a ride on the Honda if you can, preferably the SP.

I may be the minority opinion, but the GSXR doesn't do it for me. Fast, decent handling Japanese bike, but sort of a "price point" bike overdue for an update.
C/1/509 is offline   Reply With Quote