User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2015, 10:20 AM   #1
dirtylager OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Adventure Touring Ninja 300

Ideas needed - It looks like I will not be able to swing the Triumph Scrambler that I was very much set on, and will need to hold on to my Ninja 300 SE for a couple more years atleast. I really do need/want an adventure style bike to suit my all-weather commuting, and desire to start riding gravel roads etc. more often...Ideas for Ninja 300 transformation are welcome. I would prefer things that can be removed/reverted to stock upon selling, but the right plan could keep me happy for quite some time. For starters, aux lights (ala r1200Gs), and possibly hand guards. I currently have a Yoshi R77 exhaust installed, a 15t sprocket for better highway cruising, and a Givi Top Case.

Judging by the build threads, one of you has got to have some inspiration for me.
dirtylager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 10:31 AM   #2
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 5,278
I've seen build thread here with the larger Ninja's. Can try your search there so see what parts they used.

good luck and post pics...

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 12:47 PM   #3
vtbob
wanderer

Oddometer: 590
Your bike as it is will make it to Alaska and Purdue bay, or most anywhere else in the US and Canada just fine with NO mods...Just a bit of rider skill and taking your time.

Are you more interest in the ride or the look?

If it is the ride, then getting better tires for grip in the dirt/mud will have the biggest improvement. 2nd is a bash plate to protect the engine from crashing on a rock. You really don't NEED much more than that for dirt roads

If the look is most important.....it's all style...that is your call! I can't help you.
vtbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 12:50 PM   #4
Kawasakirob
flick the bean

Oddometer: 1,117
If your looking to armor it google Ninja 300 Crash Cage. Crash cages are what stunters use to protect their bikes when they get thrown down the highway. Other than that be sensitive on your front brakes.
Old Today, 05:09 AM   #5
mojave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 316
Well, there's the look, and then there's function. You can make it look more like an adventure bike but that doesn't help function. Before putting on expensive protection (bash plate, cage), consider making a few changes that lessen the chances you need protection. I think increasing the control in offroad situations is the first priority. Easing the "racebike position" will be the best thing first. Feet high and back, weight forward on narrow clipons, that sucks in sand or over babyheads. You can make some easy to do (reversible) changes that not only let you stand up a little easier and have your weight more centered, but will also give you a lot more comfort.

I did some changes to my Sprint RS to aid in the dirt roads I always seem to get on. Drop footpegs helps for standing up. I put a regular low (euro) handlebar on in place of the clipons. That also helped the control and comfort.Doing this probably requires a new front brake line which isn't a big deal to buy and put on yourself. Coming up with the bar perch was fairly easy on the Sprint but I don't know about the Ninja. Picking one or the other the handlebar conversion buys you the most benefit.

In the end you can make the seating and standing positions a little more suitable for the occasional rough patch, but the geometry and suspension action are never going to be suitable for more than poking along.

And there are tires that will have more forward traction and grip side hills a little better etc

mojave screwed with this post Today at 05:30 AM
mojave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:23 AM   #6
doogiepooch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 948
All of this has been discussed at some length over in the 300 thread.

Just the thoughts of a few but most felt the crash cage would transfer to much of a crash to the frail frame. Just food for thought I suppose but it was enough to throw me off the same trail you are on. I think you'd be better off with some normal frame sliders and calling it good.

I'm with you on the hand guards, been wanting some but haven't gotten serious about tracking any down. You'll also want heated grips. Not the crappy ones, I recommend the Oxford grips.

You'll also want a larger screen. I've got the Zero Gravity sport touring. It's good but could be better. I've also tried the V-stream touring screen but it's just WAY to large, I sent it back. I've been meaning to try the V-Stream sport touring screen I think that might be the ticket.

If you are really going to tour, you need a seat. You'll find no better than Renazco. You'll find pics of mine in the Ninja thread. I've got an iron butt 1000 on that seat and the 300 and really had no soreness. Also have a west coast and back trip on that seat and the 300 and other than the soreness from a weeks ridding and 750-900 mile days my butt was pretty happy.

Bottom line without serious mods, like this motor in another frame there isn't a terrible lot that can be done to this bike to make it noticeably better offroad. I've done a handfull of offroad miles on mine chasing photo tags in the WNC game and it's really not to bad at all even at some speed. Add some mods to make it more comfortable and rid the wheels off it.

The only real weakness of this bike on the road is a 80 mph and above it eats fuel more than a small engine should. Throw in a strong headwind of a western state and you'll struggle to hold a speed higher than 70 mph. But overall it will cross any state in the country at illegal speeds and be happy doing so. I've kept it longer than any bike I've ever owned.
doogiepooch is offline   Reply With Quote