Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2014, 08:23 AM   #1
kabulpostie OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Replacement for my Duc?

Hey All,
Looking for some advice. I love my Monster S2R 1000 but the scheduled maintenance intervals are just too short to be practical for me. It was fine when I lived in the NW, but since I've been in AZ I'm up for my second valve check in a year. The closest place to get it serviced it about 200 mi away in Phoenix and I shudder to think what would happen if I tried to do valves myself, the price of failure is just too high. So I'm looking for suggestions on a bike that has the feel ( I guess the V twin grunt) of my Monster but with lower service intervals. I was thinking of the Hyperstrada, but it might be too tall. I'm comfortable with just getting a toe down, but for everyday riding and longer trips it just gets to be a pain in the ass. I would like a 4 gallon tank if possible and the lighter the bike the better. Hard luggage option would be a bonus.
I'm actually nervous and getting a little sick to my stomache writing this as I told myself I would never consider getting rid of this bike, but I can by a lot of gas and tires for the cost of one belt change and valve service. I guess I want the best of both worlds-a fun bike that brings a smile to my face yet is basically maintenance free ( I know no bike is maintenance free, but a 20,000 mile valve interval is a lot easier to handle than a 6,000 mile one). It should have good dealer support nationwide, so I am probably looking at a Japanese bike.
The bike I'm looking for would be nimble, light yet have somewhat relaxed ergos (I'm only 5'4" so there are a lot of bikes that feel spacious to me that cramp you taller guys), reasonable wind protection, comfortable enough to ride several hundred miles ( I rode the Duc from N. Idaho to Yuma with no issues, so comfort is in the behind of the rider I guess) and it has to look good. So for me that immediately throws out the Verseys and the Honda CBXs. The VFR 800 is a consideration, but I had one test ride on that thing and it was sort of ho hum it did everything better than the Duc, but it just felt boring. I don't have to have any off road ability as I have a 350 EXC for that.

Are there any bikes that fit the bill or am I looking for the mythical perfect bike??
Thanks for any suggestions,
Cameron
kabulpostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 09:47 AM   #2
Chief Ten Bears
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 286
V twin grunt, ZERO maintenance (no valves to maintain or chain to adjust), the best dealer support nationwide...

3.5 gal tank, though...

Chief Ten Bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 09:56 AM   #3
vicster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 957
SV1000? If you can find one.

The new Yamaha FZ-07 is a parallel twin with staggered crank to mimic a v-twin. 400# wet weight, excellent mpg. $6990.

Triumph Speed of Street Triple have character, reliability, and torque.

Maybe the Aprilia twins will fit the bill.
vicster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 09:59 AM   #4
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 32,453
MBP collets? linkI have them in my 916.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 10:10 AM   #5
BeeCeeGS
WeaponOfMassDestruction

Oddometer: 1,788
As already mentioned, I'd think a Triumph Street/Speed Triple or one of the new Yamahas (triple or twin).

Maybe a Superduke if you have a KTM dealer in the 'hood?

I'm always hearing air-cooled Ducs aren't hard to DIY service. Certainly have to be easier than checking valves on my VFR! Maybe view one of the how-to vids and give it some more thought? Add the collets as suggested above and I'd say keep it.
Old 08-23-2014, 10:24 AM   #6
TypeRated
Wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
If you want something along the lines of a VFR, a Sprint ST may be a better bet than the S3
Old 08-23-2014, 10:26 AM   #7
kabulpostie OP
Adventurer

Good suggestions.
The harley is out, just not my style.
The SV1000 maybe, What about the 650? How would that compare power wise to the duc?
If I want to get the bike serviced in town I pretty much have to stay Hondkawsuzuyam

I like the triples but I would like some wind protection..

Servicing should be easy on the Duc, but to do belts and valves there are some tools needed, I could probably do it but it would take me a lot longer than the shop would and I would be stressed out
Old 08-23-2014, 10:33 AM   #8
TypeRated
Wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by kabulpostie View Post
Good suggestions.
The harley is out, just not my style.
The SV1000 maybe, What about the 650? How would that compare power wise to the duc?
If I want to get the bike serviced in town I pretty much have to stay Hondkawsuzuyam

I like the triples but I would like some wind protection..

Servicing should be easy on the Duc, but to do belts and valves there are some tools needed, I could probably do it but it would take me a lot longer than the shop would and I would be stressed out
Dealer service may be a bit of an issue with the Triumphs. The Sprint should have pretty decent wind protection though.
Since I've been looking for a better steed than my R1, a few guys suggested the newer Ninja 1000. It's supposed to be a great sport tourer with plenty of power to boot. For me, it's way out of budget, so I'm considering going the Triumph Tiger route.
Old 08-23-2014, 11:01 AM   #9
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,108
Valve adjustment is usually not nessesary in 6000 mile chunks with 2 valve Ducati's. Checking the valves is a good idea, but, they don't need reshimming that often.
I have changed belts myself as well, not hard to do. Just make sure the belt sprokets don't move. Mark them and put the belt on the same tooth then adjust the tension.
If you get rid of the Ducati, you'll have a hole in your life "reliable" bikes can't fill.
For a uber reliable,go anywhere, do anything, hard bag bike, Wee-Strom is the ticket.
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 11:06 AM   #10
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,201
May want to check out the 1200S

Its got the new motor like the Diavel, so long valve checks and no cam belts.

Its also got a lower seat than the Triumph's the Street Triple is like 30" and the 1050 is 31"
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 09:15 PM   #11
mammal
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by bk brkr baker View Post
Valve adjustment is usually not nessesary in 6000 mile chunks with 2 valve Ducati's. Checking the valves is a good idea, but, they don't need reshimming that often.
I have changed belts myself as well, not hard to do. Just make sure the belt sprokets don't move. Mark them and put the belt on the same tooth then adjust the tension.
If you get rid of the Ducati, you'll have a hole in your life "reliable" bikes can't fill.
For a uber reliable,go anywhere, do anything, hard bag bike, Wee-Strom is the ticket.
Having owned a 620 Monster, a Multistrada 1000, and a Sport 1000, I completely agree. Generally, once the valves "settle" (typically after 10,000 miles), a check is all that's needed. Belts these days can also be relied on further than the 12,000 mile/2 year limit Ducati recommended several years ago...remember that their modern engines (with the exception of the Panigale) still use belts, and their Desmo service intervals are at 15,000 miles or more.
mammal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 08:26 AM   #12
kickstandsup
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by kabulpostie View Post
Hey All,
Looking for some advice. I love my Monster S2R 1000 but the scheduled maintenance intervals are just too short to be practical for me. It was fine when I lived in the NW, but since I've been in AZ I'm up for my second valve check in a year. The closest place to get it serviced it about 200 mi away in Phoenix and I shudder to think what would happen if I tried to do valves myself, the price of failure is just too high. So I'm looking for suggestions on a bike that has the feel ( I guess the V twin grunt) of my Monster but with lower service intervals. I was thinking of the Hyperstrada, but it might be too tall. I'm comfortable with just getting a toe down, but for everyday riding and longer trips it just gets to be a pain in the ass. I would like a 4 gallon tank if possible and the lighter the bike the better. Hard luggage option would be a bonus.
I'm actually nervous and getting a little sick to my stomache writing this as I told myself I would never consider getting rid of this bike, but I can by a lot of gas and tires for the cost of one belt change and valve service. I guess I want the best of both worlds-a fun bike that brings a smile to my face yet is basically maintenance free ( I know no bike is maintenance free, but a 20,000 mile valve interval is a lot easier to handle than a 6,000 mile one). It should have good dealer support nationwide, so I am probably looking at a Japanese bike.
The bike I'm looking for would be nimble, light yet have somewhat relaxed ergos (I'm only 5'4" so there are a lot of bikes that feel spacious to me that cramp you taller guys), reasonable wind protection, comfortable enough to ride several hundred miles ( I rode the Duc from N. Idaho to Yuma with no issues, so comfort is in the behind of the rider I guess) and it has to look good. So for me that immediately throws out the Verseys and the Honda CBXs. The VFR 800 is a consideration, but I had one test ride on that thing and it was sort of ho hum it did everything better than the Duc, but it just felt boring. I don't have to have any off road ability as I have a 350 EXC for that.

Are there any bikes that fit the bill or am I looking for the mythical perfect bike??
Thanks for any suggestions,
Cameron
Just bought a new Monster 1200S from Go Az in Scottsdale. Impressive dealership, great service so far. The new Ducs spec 9k service intervals, with 18k valve adjustments. This dealer is open 7 days, including service, they even offer a pick up service (obviously, that costs). I live 150 miles away, and was concerned about the service as well, but with those intervals, I can live with it. Perhaps a trade for you?
kickstandsup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 09:08 AM   #13
pitbull
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by bk brkr baker View Post

Yeah.......my 01 900 monster has needed reshimming once in 70,000 miles.
pitbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 12:02 PM   #14
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 32,453
The half rings that secure the shims wear. The shims may not need to be changed but after about 6k miles the half rings can be worn. At 14k miles I've seen them worn halfway through.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 02:24 PM   #15
kabulpostie OP
Adventurer

I'm having second thoughts now after re reading some Duc maintenance items. The big thing that was getting me was 6,000 mile valve inspection. The bike has almost 22k on it now and from what I have read the valves don't change much after about 10k. So If I can get away with belt change and valve inspection/adjustment every 12k that makes things a lot easier to handle. Does that seem reasonable or am I asking for trouble with course of action?
Kickstandsup, I just made an appointment to drop my bike off at GOAZ on Thursday so things should be taken care of. I was thinking of trading in the Duc and A WRR for something else, but I don't have the time to look at stuff enough before I have to travel for work. Someone on the Ducati Monster Forum mentioned that if I love the bike then there really isn't anything that is going to the place of it and I will have an empty spot in my soul lol He may be right, so the solution may be to just get a 4th bike at some point:)