Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2011, 10:22 PM   #211
Regbafazool
Gregarious Pariah

Oddometer: 597
Vermin calls it: "the cack inaction".............

.............hmmmmm........if by "inaction", he means pushing that rattling plastic fright-fest all over the entire
Eastern Seaboard in a torrential monsoon deluge with his beloved offspring enjoying the comfort of a SINGLE,
aging bolt holding the rear subframe together.............

.........dodging a phalanx of pedal-to-the-metal logging trucks in West Virginia, while his bald rear tire finally succumbs
to the inevitable ravages of time and wear.......

.....sloshing his way, in the darkness of night (and yet more rain) to my Brooklyn lair, after an hour of "following
his instincts around traffic" and the resulting entertainment of being completely lost in the Bronx......

......and so on.......

Then......well, Yes, I suppose one could call it a kind of "inaction"

But only in Vermin's Unique & Indefinable World!!

Regbafazool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 11:37 PM   #212
tjhess74
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 584
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perp View Post
Got this from another inmate. A pristine '89 PC800. Looks show room new. 36k miles. Currently changing all the fluids and filters. Next week wifey is going to the Big Apple. I think a PC shakedown road trip is in order.
i see youre missing the antenna. i used the fm whip antenna from a harley electraglide on mine. it worked perfectly and looked better imo. lots to be had cheap at any dealership and sometimes on ebay. it will attach with no modifications.

my goal is to see how many gallons of dead dinosaurs i can send through my bike.
2008 Kawasaki Concours 14
2007 Honda VFR800 RWB
tjhess74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 05:45 AM   #213
PC-Rider
venturer

Oddometer: 4,518
Vermin & Cack were on the eastern seaboard !

And no one told me about it ? ? ?

How did I miss that ? ? ?

I am not to the point of a Rat Bike,
but I am to the point of just fixing the stuff that is necessary now !

My Thread of Where I've Been: "PC's Adventures in PIctures"
PC-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 09:20 AM   #214
thumpism
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 428
Just rode my PC home from the dealer after getting its post-accident damage estimate. Busted RH mirror and fairing chunks are the most significant things. It rides fine as far as I can tell, so as it continues to nap in the driveway and get used for commuting it will likely degenerate (or evolve?) into a Cack-or-Pac machine rather than be the pristine ride that many PCs seem to be. It already had plenty of scuffs when I got it, so it had a head start. I'm thinking there's room out there for a screamin' yellow PC. Maybe next time the bastards will see me.
thumpism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 07:27 PM   #215
advtenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,348
I will soon be parting with my 96' PC, 19,000 miles. I love her, but just not a good fit for me. I know I'll miss her when shes gone.

"My body thinks my brains gone crazy" ..........Corky McMillian
advtenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 09:14 PM   #216
alphaBETAdog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 273
Bought this black beauty a couple of weeks ago. Haven't got a chance to get it out on the highway much, but will soon after changing all the fluids and filters, and checking wear items.

alphaBETAdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 08:28 PM   #217
Honky-Tonk Dragon
scooter trash

Oddometer: 24
Someday... le sigh...
Always wanted a PC, in the early 90s lurking in the Honda dealer, it was just the bike that caught my eye first. Hearing it called a scooter on steroids is what first made me look at scooters, which actually fit my budget at the time.

Now, I got two kids and am in the middle of buying a house... but someday... someday...
Honky-Tonk Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 06:33 AM   #218
mojojojo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
I have wanted a street bike for years, but my budget was always limited for other priorities (food, utilities, clothes for the kids, etc). I stumbled upon the Pacific Coast as an option one day while researching/dreaming of bikes that might be a financial reality. For what I planned to use a bike to do - commute the 140 miles round trip to/from work, take some weekend rides with friendfs, and maybe do some light touring - the PC seemed an ideal choice for a beginner.

I was fortunate to discover one for sale within 3 miles of home. Although it had some miles on it (86k) for a 1994 model, from the information I could find that didn't seem unreasonable for these models and figured it should have at least another 100k left in it. Inspection of the bike showed that it was in excellent shape and had been well maintained. The seller was parting with it as he took it in trade for a boat and had no desire to keep it as he already had a cruiser (Guess the PC wasn't his style). With a negotiated price of $1000 cash, I figured I had nothing to lose.

I've had my PC for about 3 months now and I have to say it is even better than I had read or expected it to be. It runs like a top, easily makes the commute daily with speeds up to 75mph (the bike is capable of more, I'm not at this point), get between 49 and 54mpg, holds all my gear in the trunk so I don't have to schlep it all into work, is easy to ride - very forgiving of a new rider, and is just plain fun.

I haven't received any comments about being a "super scooter" and anything else (yet), but if I do I'll just chalk up any such comments to the ignorance of the speaker. Yep, it's sort of funny looking. Yep, it's not the fastest thing on two wheeels. Yep, it can be a minor pain to remove the plastic. But without a doubt it is one of the most versatile bikes I could even hope to ride and own. I don't expect to want or need anything else for a very long time.
mojojojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 08:54 AM   #219
drdfblackm
VeeFeer

Oddometer: 799
Heads up to AZ residents

I am in no way affiliated with the bike, but there is a PC 800 up for sale under Prescott AZ craigslist for $1800 with 37K miles.

Just passing it on to anyone that might be interested.
Old 11-11-2011, 08:56 AM   #220
ParrotheadJeff

Oddometer: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by drdfblackm View Post
I am in no way affiliated with the bike, but there is a PC 800 up for sale under Prescott AZ craigslist for $1800 with 37K miles.

Just passing it on to anyone that might be interested.
I'd be all over it if I had the money - That's where my family lives
Old 02-04-2012, 05:53 AM   #221
Crash48
Secular Lord

Oddometer: 92

Bought used with 50k kms two and a half years ago... cut 2" off the windshield and put on another 40k kms - tires/brakes/fluids is all it takes to keep this Clydesdale happy. Recent Progressives / Hagons have made it a keeper... will get the wrap around grip heaters this weekend as my battery gloves and bar muffs aren't quite up to the challenge beyond minus 10 celcius.
Only downside for me is not being able to fit a set of MEFO Explorers for when my favourite dirt/grass trail is rain soaked... lost control freewheeling on the downgrade when the front tire followed a muddy rut into the brush - only cracked off a bit of plastic on the underside of the mirror housing but it was a bit of a struggle to pick this bike up in the middle of all that slop. May look into the new TKC 17" front before trying that again.

Crash48 screwed with this post 02-27-2012 at 07:12 PM Reason: added photo
Crash48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 11:16 AM   #222
DouglasVB
Tupperwear Rider

Oddometer: 80
It sounds like you and I ride our PC800s in the same manner. I tipped mine over on a logging road in deep loose sand. Couldn't find any reasonable knobby tires that would fit my PC so I went out and bought a $500 dual sport off CraigsList to keep me from off-roading my PC again :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash48 View Post
Bought used with 50k kms two and a half years ago... put on another 40k kms - tires/brakes/fluids is all it takes to keep this Clydesdale happy. Recent Progressives / Hagons have made it a keeper... will get the wrap around grip heaters this weekend as my battery gloves and bar muffs aren't quite up to the challenge beyond minus 10 celcius.
Only downside for me is not being able to fit a set of MEFO Explorers for when my favourite dirt/grass trail is rain soaked... lost control freewheeling on the downgrade when the front tire followed a muddy rut into the brush - only cracked off a bit of plastic on the underside of the mirror housing but it was a bit of a struggle to pick this bike up in the middle of all that slop. May look into the new TKC 17" front before trying that again.
(former) 1984 Honda Shadow VT700 (never named)
Contrary to popular belief, the PC800 is a capable off-pavement machine.
DouglasVB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 05:51 AM   #223
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaBETAdog View Post
Bought this black beauty a couple of weeks ago. Haven't got a chance to get it out on the highway much, but will soon after changing all the fluids and filters, and checking wear items.
That is a nice one. What year is the black?
I had two 1990s over the years. Hard to find a nice one now.
2014 Ice Bear PBZ110-1P Z50 clone monkey sidecar
2014 Sky Team MC-D34 CT70 clone
Barnone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 05:12 AM   #224
Crash48
Secular Lord

Oddometer: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaBETAdog View Post
Pacific Coast and a Stelvio ... obvious choice most days but for me it would be tough to call other days - two great bikes ! For now my PC gets double duty... but I'm on the look out for something stelvioish.

Unfortunately there's no Guzzi dealership in my province... BMW dealer is about 3 hours away so don't want to take a chance on a potentially lemony used oilhead GS - and can't afford an S10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasVB View Post
It sounds like you and I ride our PC800s in the same manner. I tipped mine over on a logging road in deep loose sand. Couldn't find any reasonable knobby tires that would fit my PC so I went out and bought a $500 dual sport off CraigsList to keep me from off-roading my PC again :-)

Good move... there's a '92 R100GS for sale a few hours from me... and my local honda dealer has an experienced airhead mechanic on staff (no pun intended) - so my 'Coast may get some company yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone View Post
That is a nice one. What year is the black?
I had two 1990s over the years. Hard to find a nice one now.
The black is from '95... I had a W650 a few years back - hard to find a nice one of those now too !

Crash48 screwed with this post 02-29-2012 at 05:40 AM
Crash48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:09 AM   #225
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,040
What years was the PC800 available? Is it hard to find parts for these bikes?

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote