Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2012, 04:56 PM   #241
nigelcorn
Wannabe.

Oddometer: 789
I was visiting my parents this past week, and my dad has a pristine PC800; as evidenced by:

Only 6900 miles on that thing, and not a single scratch. Simply amazing. He let me ride it a couple days, so I put about 100 or so miles on it, and here are a couple of pictures:

What a fun bike. They really had something figured out when they made these. Other than the peg-seat distance being a little too short (and I only have a 32" inseam-not sure how you tall people ride one) and the windscreen putting some buffeting right at eye level (easily fixed) it would make an ideal city commuter.

Granted, not this one, because it is in perfect shape and that would be a crime to commute on it and get some scratches. So, I have started looking for one of my own.
nigelcorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:46 PM   #242
TH
There and Here

Oddometer: 912
Over my life, I've had three PC's. Two 89's and a 96. They are indeed excellent touring and commuting bikes. I really enjoyed mine, but was finding myself maxing out my PC. So I moved up to more powerful bikes. They are virtually maintenance free, have a cult following that provides excellent support. I do miss the shaft drive, and the hydraulic valves. My first PC came up for sale the other day, I almost decided to rebuy it, but I only have so much $ and room in the garage.

I wish someone would come out with a revised version of the PC that miantains the maintenance free characteristics with a boost in performance.
NOVA Tag-o-Rama Map
TH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:11 PM   #243
longjt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by thfraser View Post
I wish someone would come out with a revised version of the PC that miantains the maintenance free characteristics with a boost in performance.
Some would say they did, with the ST.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:20 PM   #244
nigelcorn
Wannabe.

Doesn't the NT700 Deauville come pretty close to being a replacement? I know the saddle bags aren't the same as a trunk, but otherwise it seems pretty close.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:30 PM   #245
longjt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelcorn View Post
Doesn't the NT700 Deauville come pretty close to being a replacement? I know the saddle bags aren't the same as a trunk, but otherwise it seems pretty close.
Yeah, but there's no real boost in performance.

I mentioned the ST because I know an owner and he brags about it's maintenance free-ness. I would guess it has many fewer tabs to break off too.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:05 PM   #246
nigelcorn
Wannabe.

Granted I have only put about 100 miles on one, but most of that was about 70 mph and I didn't really feel like it was under powered. I haven't ridden an ST, but I have sat on one, and it is a very heavy beast. Felt like it weight much more than the 100lbs it has over the PC.

I'm sure it is better on the highway, but I don't know if I would want any extra weight in town even if it meant I got more power along with it.
Old 04-17-2012, 04:46 AM   #247
Oldone
One day at a time!

Oddometer: 652
P

Grampa’s National Monument Ride

Grampa’s Lake Superior Ride

Hi,

The above links are from two different trips that I took on my two PC800 bikes. One is a 1990 and the other is a 1998. I've put on around 20,000 miles on them at this point with no problems at all. By far the best two bikes I've ever owned and I'm going on 69 yrs. old.

Rather then to post photos here, I've decided to post the links where there's quite a few various photos of the bikes along with other photos and ride reports.

Good luck and safe riding.

Gary

Oldone screwed with this post 04-17-2012 at 04:54 AM
Oldone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 05:40 AM   #248
TH
There and Here

Oddometer: 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Budget View Post
If you like it after a hundred miles, wait till you have logged 10,000 miles !!

They are most definately NOT underpowered. They simply are not OVERPOWERED. I used to tour solo on a 500 Silverwing. That was slightly underpowered when fully loaded on big climbs, but still doable.

The guys who complain the PC is underpowered are likely used to bikes over 100 HP. Also the PC is so quiet, and the aerodynamics so good, it gives you the illusion its going slow......till you look at what the speedometer is doing.

I rode both the ST 11 and 13. They are amazing bikes. Incredible high speed sport tourers, but yes they are quite a bit more mass than the little PC.

If you strip all the bodywork off a PC, you will see how relatively small and simple the bike is.

And like others will preach, nothing compares to the trunk.........nothing. Unlike saddlebags, nothing falls out when you open it, and very, very unlikely you would ever get any rain leakage in the trunk.
The trunk indeed is the unique feature of the PC, plus it's a gas and go bike. Underpowered, correctly powered, overpowered are all subjective factors. The PC uses a slightly modified Shadow motor, that was bumpted to 800cc's. It is a great commuting and touring bike, it can reach triple digits, just bearly, but it can be done (don't ask how I know). It's not going to set any land speed records, but it is a competent bike.

I remember sitting on my PC at a gas station once and it was running (almost as quiet as an electric bike). I put thousands of miles on my PCs before I moved on to other bikes. I do look back and enjoy many of the features of the PC, but I also don't regret moving on.
NOVA Tag-o-Rama Map
TH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:15 AM   #249
PC-Rider
venturer

Oddometer: 4,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelcorn View Post
pristine PC800

That's just disgusting !

I can't tell you how many times I have had mine looking like this.

OK, not that many, but it has happened !

Just call me a novice.

And mine needs a bath something awful !

This is the side that has not been on the ground yet !

I tried to keep it nice.
I really tried.
Honest.

My Thread of Where I've Been: "PC's Adventures in PIctures"
PC-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:22 PM   #250
rs42sport
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
Thumb

i think i see kristas...
2009 Burgman 400 traded at 9424 miles
2007 Kymco People S 250-traded at 7860 miles
rs42sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 03:55 AM   #251
PC-Rider
venturer

Oddometer: 4,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by rs42sport View Post
i think i see kristas...
Oh yeah,

Only thing I could find for the bikes power limitations that I could see with with.

Short story on my thread.

My Thread of Where I've Been: "PC's Adventures in PIctures"
PC-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 07:44 AM   #252
Bruincounselor
North Plains Drifter

Oddometer: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by rs42sport View Post
i think i see kristas...
Try this thread:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=607184

Old 05-13-2012, 10:26 AM   #253
nigelcorn
Wannabe.

I traded for this yesterday:

1990 w/ 36k miles. New fork seals up front, new shocks in the back. Fresh oil change and plugs, all I need to do is put a new tires on and this should be good to go for a long time. It's in amazing shape for a 22 year old motorcycle, just a couple little things. I also think the yellow looks really good on it, and hopefully it will help me be seen more out in traffic.

Old 05-13-2012, 10:37 AM   #254
rich tintera
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Why am I suddenly hungry for lemon meringue pie?

Old 05-13-2012, 12:09 PM   #255
Badjuju
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 258
Nice low mileage '96 PC in the "cherry pie" flavor here in Cincinnati. Not mine! Just posting it for you guys still looking to buy.

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/mcy/3012941053.html
Some people will tell you that slow is good, and it may be on some days, but I am here to tell you that fast is better... Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba.... Hunter S Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature
Badjuju is offline   Reply With Quote