Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2008, 08:38 AM   #16
The PacRat OP
I'm that other guy

Oddometer: 2,506
Thanks for all the replies. I'm not one to plug in a lot of "stuff" so the extra power thing isn't a problem. I just want something that I can get on and go without having to spend a lot of time wrenching or farkling. I also like the option of being able to pick up "stuff" along the way and having a place to stow it away for the trip home. I was never a fan of carrying a backpack or trying to strap groceries to the seat.
Old 04-21-2008, 10:55 AM   #17
hardtarge
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by advtek
Thanks for all the replies. I'm not one to plug in a lot of "stuff" so the extra power thing isn't a problem. I just want something that I can get on and go without having to spend a lot of time wrenching or farkling. I also like the option of being able to pick up "stuff" along the way and having a place to stow it away for the trip home. I was never a fan of carrying a backpack or trying to strap groceries to the seat.
Previously covered buy PC800 would be a good choice

You can still by parts for them don't require that much in maintance but!! Be prepaird to do your own wrenching the shops will not want to work on a PC800 do to the fact there is a lot of body work that must be treated with care

Also be prepaird for limited tire choices either K555 or ME880 neither are bad.

Don't be too worried about the stator It will run your gear just as well as any other bike don't expect add 200Watts of extra load 120 ehh thats about max

Get a voltage meter!! Sorry almost manditory farkle bike uses a fuel pump best to know you're about to be in trouble instead of buuuuruuurr dead on teh side of the road.

anywas good read if you have time the bike will take abuse read the story of "Crack"
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=265019
hardtarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 07:45 AM   #18
pcstarship
R. Couey

Oddometer: 2
Thumb PC800 write-up

This may be of some interest to you...

http://race-the-sunset.blogspot.com/...fic-coast.html
pcstarship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 03:09 PM   #19
Bravosarah
Curiously Addicted

Oddometer: 133
I have a 1990 PC800 and love it. I will be doing an Iron Butt ride on it this summer I will post a RR and add the link in this thread too.

I take a lot of the plastic covers off before taking my PC to the mechanics, not because he has ever refused the work, but because I don't want to pay for 'shop time' when they are just removing and adding the plastic. It also gives me the chance to clean the insides.

Name:  my bike.JPG
Views: 6011
Size:  55.6 KB
My bike
Bravosarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 06:47 PM   #20
wavetrain75
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
I just my 'Coast back together with a list of upgrades - tapered head bearings, progressive fork springs, driving lights, heated grips, power socket, Audiovox cruise control. This bike continues to amaze me, smooth, comfortable and nimble. A little weird looking, but a great bike.
Attached Images

wavetrain75 screwed with this post 05-15-2008 at 07:24 PM
wavetrain75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 08:28 PM   #21
gasandasphalt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 469
Great bike

I have an 89 with 86000 miles, runs just like the day it rolled of the showroom floor. "IF" service work is ever needed,, by all means,,,, remove your own plastic covers,,,, BY THE BOOK"" dont just grab and start pulling,,, there is a step- by- step in the operators manual.,, never uses a drop of oil between changes,, only issue,, at 75 0r 80 you need to check the Tach. to make sure you have shifted into high gear, with full face helmet there is no hearing the engine,,,and if you are not afraid of 7500rpm you can smoke a whole bunch of other bikes out there,,,at green lights, FUN!! you will be amazed at the looks on the faces of a whole bunch of HD riders.. I felt compeled to buy a couple HD riders an ADULT beverage one night, as they said to one another, " what the He-- just happened to us", of course they caught up to me at about 97 mph. time to stop anyway, the cop shop was another block ahead If you can find one by all means buy it,,, you will never be sorry,,, prices are going up daily,, a 1989 sold about 5 days ago on ebay for $7,700.00,,, that is the truth, I talked to the seller tonight!!! Have a GOOD RIDE
Old 05-16-2008, 09:49 AM   #22
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 7,609
Quote:
Originally Posted by advtek
I'd like to hear from (and see) some opinions and pics on the overall performance of the PC800. It's the bike I'm kinda thinking about buying (down the road). I like the unconventional look and I hear that they are one of Honda's BEST.

SO? Whaddya think? (let's see them too)
I rode one of the first year PCs as a salesperson. I loved it. I like the later ones with the open front wheel, but it is hard to beat the package as an all around ride. It has decent power, excellent ground clearance for corners, and about the most convenient trunk ever.

As for maintenance, it's shaft drive with hydraulic valve adjusters... change the oil and ride, maybe have the carbs balanced every few years. If you do have work done, remove the bodywork yourself to save money, but be careful and learn where the clips, pegs, pins, and stuff are so you don't break any locator pieces on the edges of the bodywork. I don't see any maintenance issues since it is such a simple motor with low/no mainenance features.

People could joke all they wanted, that bike was one fine ride... and I've ridden quite a few bikes over the years. It just isn't a bike that most people will consider. If I rode more commuting or short touring I'd have one if I could. I don't see the sense in the overkill of 100+ hp, 700 lb, or all the electronic crap in a tourer/sport tourer. But that's me.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 03:17 PM   #23
PC800!
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Ever since gas prices have shot up, I've always had somebody come up to me at a gas station and talk to me about my PC800. They all want to know what gas mileage I'm getting and how "easy" is it to ride.

I think what's going on are people are at least thinking of better gas mileage transportation and the PC800 *appears* to them as a friendly, easy ride.

I'm not surprised at the Ebay experience. I'm guessing the resale on the PC800s is going up along with the price of gas. Too bad I won't sell.. can't think of another bike I'd want.

cheers
PC800!
PC800! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 08:51 AM   #24
FuRzMaScHiNe
...frisch gebraut

Oddometer: 126
we still have a version of the pacific coast over here. it's just called a deauville:

Old 05-17-2008, 12:20 PM   #25
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by PC800!
Ever since gas prices have shot up, I've always had somebody come up to me at a gas station and talk to me about my PC800. They all want to know what gas mileage I'm getting and how "easy" is it to ride.

I think what's going on are people are at least thinking of better gas mileage transportation and the PC800 *appears* to them as a friendly, easy ride.

I'm not surprised at the Ebay experience. I'm guessing the resale on the PC800s is going up along with the price of gas. Too bad I won't sell.. can't think of another bike I'd want.

cheers
PC800!

Yup, and on that note check this out:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1993-...tem#ht_986wt_0
RedRocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 01:03 PM   #26
Bald Kirk
Dances with Dirt Bikes

Oddometer: 738
The best part of all, in my opinion, is that on the way home from work if you need to buy some milk or chinese food for dinner just toss it in the trunk!

You could have some junk in your trunk!
Old 05-17-2008, 03:03 PM   #27
FuRzMaScHiNe
...frisch gebraut

Oddometer: 126
frizzaud

good luck to the buyer of that geo:

"...is in mint showroom condition..."

"...the rims like most cars are a little worn but no biggy..."

"...one small rust bubble starting on lower passenger rocker that i will try to have my paint guy handle but no promises..."

"... small surface spot next to the right front wheel..."

seems quite "mint showroom condition" to me. definitely worth $7,200.
Old 05-19-2008, 03:50 PM   #28
The PacRat OP
I'm that other guy

Well - Lo and behold a PC800 fell into my posession almost by chance. I found a '90 model, with a few dings and 33k for $1900! Un-Be-Leivable. The bike had obviously been layed down and the mirrors and crash guard covers on both sides had been busted off. The rest of the panels are in good shape. The bike runs good and straight. It is rideable as is, but with a little bit of work it will be GREAT. No pics yet, but I am very happy with the purchase.
Old 05-19-2008, 05:02 PM   #29
PC800!
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
ADVTEK,

Post some pics and give us your impressions!

peace,
PC800!
PC800! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 05:32 PM   #30
The PacRat OP
I'm that other guy

No pics yet. Will post soon.

First riding impressions, from short test drive: This bike doesn't want to be steered with the handlebars - it want's to be steered with your ASS. Love the idle sound. Gets up and goes enough to get out of the way. My gearbox seems a little clunky.

Are there any PC owners that wouldn't mind a little Q&A session through Personal Message?

Where's a good place to look for used Fairing protectors and Mirrors (other than ebay)?