Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2012, 06:24 PM   #331
rdtrvlr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 311
I don't think I'm going to be Lucky enough for it to be a simple fix. there was just a drop of oil on the dip stick and had a decent sized oil stain under it. his version of "ticking" changed a bit when I got there. long story short the new version included the word "crunching"
but he did say the starter had not been engaging properly. he says when his dad sends him the title he'll call me cuz his land lord is flipping out over the oil on the new concrete.
worst case scenario I found a motor in a mc salvage yd 2 hrs away for $350. 35k ish mi on it. stay tuned
rdtrvlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 01:19 AM   #332
kirkster70
moto junkie

Oddometer: 1,905
Crunching? Yeah, probably not good.

Sounds like you're on the right track. Definately worth an engine swap if everything else is halfway decent.

I've owned mine for a very short time and really like the comfort, quietness, and smoothness. I also like people's odd expressions as I load goodies into the trunk at the store. Of course, I like being a bit different, and this bike is very different.

It also cruises the superslab at 80mph effortlessly with passing speed to spare. That surprised me a bit. The PC is very solid and composed at those speeds. This bike is quickly becoming a keeper for me.

Good luck with your new project. Make sure to post pics when you get her home and start tearing into it. It should be a very worthwhile project.

- oh yeah - there are several PC motors on ebay as well. From what I've been seeing, used parts availability and prices seems to be pretty good for a short-run model.
kirkster70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:10 AM   #333
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

Oddometer: 4,206
I bought my third PC, a 96, two years ago with 22,000 miles. I've doubled that since. It was mint when I bought it and still is, hardly a scratch on it. The muffler has developed the chirps since I bought it though, no biggie. Now I've come across another 96 with just 6,000 miles that I'm tempted to look at. Yesterday I changed both clutch and brake fluids and the tires are fairly new so I'm ready for a road trip while the weather is still nice. There are so many places to go I can't make up my mind? W.V.? Penn.? U.P.? Ferry to Wisc.? New England? Out west? Tenn.? Not the Dragon, been there done that, too busy and too popular. I need to get a passport so I can ride around Superior. With the huge trunk and my Givi box I can bring enough tee shirts and underwear for a month long trip.
exoff-roadgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 04:32 PM   #334
PC-Rider
venturer

Oddometer: 4,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by exoff-roadgoat View Post
I bought my third PC, a 96, two years ago with 22,000 miles. I've doubled that since. It was mint when I bought it and still is, hardly a scratch on it. The muffler has developed the chirps since I bought it though, no biggie. Now I've come across another 96 with just 6,000 miles that I'm tempted to look at. Yesterday I changed both clutch and brake fluids and the tires are fairly new so I'm ready for a road trip while the weather is still nice. There are so many places to go I can't make up my mind? W.V.? Penn.? U.P.? Ferry to Wisc.? New England? Out west? Tenn.? Not the Dragon, been there done that, too busy and too popular. I need to get a passport so I can ride around Superior. With the huge trunk and my Givi box I can bring enough tee shirts and underwear for a month long trip.
Hey, you left out New Jersey ! ! !

My Thread of Where I've Been: "PC's Adventures in PIctures"
PC-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 05:57 PM   #335
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

And New Jersey................I don't need to visit NJ, I read your RR and seen all there is to see.
Old 09-14-2012, 05:58 PM   #336
rdtrvlr
Gnarly Adventurer

false alarm

looks like i won't be getting a free pc800. the kid just texted me and said someone offered him $750.n the guy supposedly has one that a friend or relative hit a deer on. oh well. the hunt continues
Old 09-15-2012, 05:02 PM   #337
kirkster70
moto junkie

Well, that's a bummer. Sometimes bikes are worth as much dead or alive.

If a PC is something you think you'd like, just keep looking. You can buy a very nice one that needs no work for $2500-$3500, ride it a few years then sell it for what you paid for it as long as you take care of it.

Then sell it, regret the decision, and hunt for another. (I hear this is a common problem, so I'm going to attempt to hang onto mine for a bit.)
Old 09-16-2012, 06:50 AM   #338
rdtrvlr
Gnarly Adventurer

Well apparently the guy that was gonna buy backed out. as of 9:50 last night it is in my garage. as soon as it gets cold and i figure out the tupperware, the fun will begin. I only wish there was a site for the PC like the many sites for the KLR
Old 09-16-2012, 08:04 AM   #339
goezer
The Traveler

Oddometer: 156
You want to go to

IPCRC.COM Internet Pacific Coast Riders Club.
goezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 09:20 AM   #340
kirkster70
moto junkie

Pics or it didn't happen.

The Tupperware is simple to disassemble. Look on youtube. There is a guy with 10 or so videos on the PC outlining simple maintenance procedures. He shows how simple it really is.

Most pieces have one screw holding them in place. Some pieces just snap in place with no fasteners at all.

Congrats on the new project and good luck on the rebuild!
Old 09-16-2012, 09:56 AM   #341
rdtrvlr
Gnarly Adventurer

i have zero luck posting pics on here. maybe i'll give it another try
Old 09-16-2012, 11:07 AM   #342
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

Be careful....That old plastic is brittle and doesn't like to be pried on in cold weather. IPCRC is the forum for you. The side vents have to come off first. They are durable and pop right out. ArmorAll the rubber grommets to make things pop back on easy. I put gobs of JB Weld on all the tabs to make them stronger.
Old 09-26-2012, 02:53 AM   #343
kirkster70
moto junkie

More PC piccys...

I mounted up some new ME880 radials, changed all the fluids (including hydraulic), just installed a plus 6" Clearview with Gold Wing vent, found an OEM backrest bracket, and installed a Utopia passenger backrest pad. Wife and kids love it!

I also installed a Formotion clock. I think this bike should have had one from the factory. (a clock - that is.) I think it also should have had a 6 gallon fuel tank. Other than that, I have no complaints in my short 1,300 miles of ownership.

Once I install my Gerbing's plug, she'll be ready for winter commuting.

kirkster70 screwed with this post 09-26-2012 at 03:00 AM
Old 09-26-2012, 03:11 AM   #344
kirkster70
moto junkie

Here's some neat-o literature...

I got this 1989 sales brochure from the original owner...

Hmmm.... where's my Members Only jacket? Heheheh!!!!

Above - May, 1989 Rider Magazine scored on ebay. $4.95 to the front door. Nice!!!

2 page spread inside.

I guess I'm getting old, but this bike is just quirky enough to keep me entertained for a while. I'm really liking it.

It has really surprised me. I thought the 800 may feel a bit anemic on the super slab, but even cruising 80mph, there's still plenty of juice left for passing. I'm quite impressed.

That is all. Carry on.
Old 09-26-2012, 06:56 AM   #345
rdtrvlr
Gnarly Adventurer

it's looking like this is going to end up on the cheap bike challenge thread. I haven't been able to do much yet as my kid is buying a house and some how my garage is suddenly full of furniture. can't even get to the bike.

I got on ipcrc.com and guy on there has a motor with 50k mi for $100 plus shipping. it appears by his posts there he's sold a bunch to members and there doesn't seem to be any complaints. gonna work out all the details this weekend.

I was in the Kwai and told him about it. he asked me to hang out he'd be right back. into the back room he goes. comes out a few minutes late and throws a pc800 shop manual on the counter a says "merry Christmas"