Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2012, 06:26 PM   #361
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

Oddometer: 4,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelcorn View Post
Hey everyone, I just listed my 1990 PC800 in the flea market. I'm missing the dirt, so mostly I'm looking for a trade for a dualsport. If you know anyone in the market, send them that way.
I bought a DR650 a couple of years ago to fill in when the PC is out of its element, gravel, two tracks and pot holes around town. Hopefully I'll never have to part with my Pacifc Coast, nothing beats it for getting groceries, hauling woodchips or a major road trip out west. When I was in the Rockies a few years ago I said I would never go back without a dually. Now that I have a dual sport I still haven't been west but I did just get back from a 500 miler in north Mich using just back roads and gravel that I couldn't do on the PC. What fun! I think having both a PC and a DR is affordable for most riders?. I have only about seven grand into both of them.
exoff-roadgoat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 06:43 PM   #362
nigelcorn
Wannabe.

Oddometer: 781
Having both would be ideal, but it isn't an option right now. I'm a full time student with a family to feed, and more importantly my wife's happiness is somehow inversely proportional to the number of motorcycles I have over one.

So, for now at least, I am a one motorcycle guy.
nigelcorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:42 PM   #363
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelcorn View Post
Having both would be ideal, but it isn't an option right now. I'm a full time student with a family to feed, and more importantly my wife's happiness is somehow inversely proportional to the number of motorcycles I have over one.

So, for now at least, I am a one motorcycle guy.
Sounds like you need a DR or KLR then. Good luck.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:01 PM   #364
kfalls_rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesmoDog View Post
Ok PC fans, enlighten me!

Here's the situation. I've been riding since 1991, but it's always been sport bikes or at least sporty bikes. Recently I've gotten the bug to do a roadtrip with a couple friends. The "leader" does this trip every year. Basically we're talking Michigan to Utah, a couple weeks total, lots of 400-500 mile days with one or two 700 mile days thrown in for good measure.

Problem 1 - I haven't got a suitable bike. I have a couple options I'm considering to solve that.

The number one idea right now is to buy an ST1100 in the spring (no money until at least then), put some local miles on it to get familiar with each other, do the trip, then sell it. Why sell it? I've got a number of bikes already and don't need another one sitting around. Also, I store my bikes in a walkout basement over winter. I don't see myself wrestling a 700lb bike down one hill, across another, then up another to get it into my house. I park my car in the garage in the winter, no bikes allowed in there after about Halloween.

The other options get weirder as they go. Recommission my one owner 1991 907ie that's been slumbering for the past ten years, put bar risers on it, buy some soft luggage, and tough it out? Probably not but then again...

Put luggage and a small windscreen on my 796 Hyper. Yeah... no. 100 mile range until the low fuel light comes on.

Yadda yadda yadda, long story short, one of the options is... buy a Pacific Coast! I've been intrigued by them since they were current bikes but beyond that know nothing about them.

SO... Would a PC800 be suitable for this type of trip? Across the midwest, through the mountains. One up most of the time but maybe an occasional passenger (for local stuff in the mountains, not the long days).

I'd likely sell it after the trip just like the ST.

The other bikes on the trip will be an ST1300, maybe an ST1100, a BMW something or other (boxer, adventure type looking thing) and a Ducati Multistrada. Then me.

My heart says to do it on some sort of Ducati, my brain and body say branch out, there are other brands out there. I've had only Ducatis for about the past ten years, riding something else will make me feel weird but I'm sure I'll get over it. Hmm. my helmet has Ducati logos on it, might have to tape over those or something!

But doing it on something a little out of the ordinary appeals to me...

So, there's my ramble. Comments? If not a PC800, what?
Hey Desmo,
I had an ST and now have a PC so, here is my take. Get an ST for the open road. The PC is more suited to lower speeds/commuting than the ST. I find the PC turns more RPMs than I like for all day slabbing. The ST is very relaxed on the slab at any speed and can still lift its skirt and dance when you want. They both have great luggage but you can bring the ST's into the motel/house with you. The fuel mileage is close. My ST got better mileage when ridden within legal limits. The range is no comparison. My ST could comfortably cruise 300+ miles on a tank while the PC is looking for fuel at 200.

Good luck with what ever you decide and have a great ride.

Vince
kfalls_rider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 02:34 PM   #365
DesmoDog
Desmo's my dog

Oddometer: 584
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfalls_rider View Post
Hey Desmo,
I had an ST and now have a PC so, here is my take. Get an ST for the open road. The PC is more suited to lower speeds/commuting than the ST. I find the PC turns more RPMs than I like for all day slabbing. The ST is very relaxed on the slab at any speed and can still lift its skirt and dance when you want. They both have great luggage but you can bring the ST's into the motel/house with you. The fuel mileage is close. My ST got better mileage when ridden within legal limits. The range is no comparison. My ST could comfortably cruise 300+ miles on a tank while the PC is looking for fuel at 200.

Good luck with what ever you decide and have a great ride.

Vince

Thanks Vince, that's exactly the feedback I was looking for. It seems every time I compare a bike to teh ST, the ST comes out on top, so now I just have to come up with the money.

My wife has kind of sort of bought in on the idea of buying a bike and selling it when the trip is over, so that may open up the budget a little more. I've been seeing a lot of STs out there in my (presumed) price range so this could work out...
DesmoDog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:08 PM   #366
roadstar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 362
Anyone in the Lancaster PA area ? i was passing The BMW car dealer today & saw a red one in the used car linup facing Manhiem pike by rt 283
roadstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:48 PM   #367
kirkster70
moto junkie

Oddometer: 1,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesmoDog View Post
Thanks Vince, that's exactly the feedback I was looking for. It seems every time I compare a bike to teh ST, the ST comes out on top, so now I just have to come up with the money.

My wife has kind of sort of bought in on the idea of buying a bike and selling it when the trip is over, so that may open up the budget a little more. I've been seeing a lot of STs out there in my (presumed) price range so this could work out...
I've owned an M900, an S4, a Multistrada 1000s, an ST1300, and two ST1100s. I currently own a PC800, so I think I'm qualitfied to give a decent opinion relevant to what you're thinking about.

The two main advantages of the ST1100 would be top end and cruising range on a fill-up. Other than that, the ST and PC are very comparable.

The main advantages of the PC would be larger storage area, better fuel efficiency, more up right, more comfortable seating position, lighter weight by a little over 100lbs wet.

Both handle very well. Both are uber reliable. Both can be considered "boring" and "soul less" depending on what type of mc snobs you may listen to. Both are similar in that you need to remove some plastic to perform any work, but it's simple and straightforward once you figure out the pattern.

Going by memory, the PC is around 50hp whereas the ST11 is around 100hp. The PC is no slouch. It's not a hot rod by any means, but it has enough grunt to be entertaining.

I have no qualms running 80mph+ on the slab. The PC is as solid and composed as any ST I've owned. I do it often. Of course it will be running a higher rpm than the ST. It has 2 fewer cylinders and 300 less ccs. But it never feels buzzy or intrusive like an inline 4 running 80. It also does not feel winded at that speed and still has more for passing manuevers.

One thing I really like about the PC is that once you're in 5th gear, it's almost like an automatic transmission as long as you stay above 25mph. You don't need to constantly row the gearbox to stay in the meat of the motor like many smaller cc bikes. I go through many small towns on part of my daily commute and can stay in 5th the whole time unless I come up on really slow traffic.

I can't really put a finger on why, but I like the PC better than all three STs I've owned. Probably because it's just the right bike for right now for me. Looks are secondary to function for me. Plus, I am a fan of scooters, and the PC is very scooter-looking. That doesn't bother me like it would many people. Most scooters try to be a motorcycle. The PC is the only motorcycle trying to be a scooter that I know of.

Ultimately, it's your choice. PC or ST, you really can't go wrong either way. Both are very well-rounded performers that hold their value well. BTW - my wife likes the comfort of the PC better as well, and the PC is a great 2-up machine.
kirkster70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:08 AM   #368
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

I think my bike is starting to run a little rough. I guess its time to change the old plugs with new. I guess they weren't meant to go 24,000 miles? Its always something with the PC, tires and plugs and batteries and oil changes. Japanese POS!..
Old 10-05-2012, 06:37 PM   #369
Preacher
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
O.k. all you PC owners...help me out here. How does the PC compare to a GL1200 as far as touring, general driving, gas mileage, etc. I know the Big Wing is a lot heaver, and has 40 horses to push it along, but the PC is at least 100 lbs lighter. I'm just considering a second bike, and the PC and the GL1200 have my eye at the present. A cheap second bike that would do just about anything you could throw at it. I've seen these for sale anywhere from 2-3,000 . What's the pro's and cons of both these machines?

Preacher
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:27 PM   #370
nigelcorn
Wannabe.

Oddometer: 781
One pro that the PC has going for it that not many other bikes have is that they have pretty much depreciated all they are going to. Unless you wreck it or seriously mess up the plastics, you'll likely be able to sell the PC for what you bought it for.

I don't think the same quite holds true for the GL1200, mostly because there comes a point where people will want a little newer, want a little bigger (GL1500), etc.

Either bike will last pretty much forever if maintained. Either will have plenty of storage. The PC will be a bit more unique and not look like it is so old like the GL1200 does. The GL will likely be a little better on the highway with the extra weight so it doesn't get blown around so much, but the PC will take the edge for normal commuting.

I had kind of the same question about 5 months ago (the same 2 bikes). I went with the PC. Haven't had any regrets.
nigelcorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 04:30 AM   #371
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

I'm guessing that the Wing is a tank at slow speeds. The PC is smaller and lighter of course. I've dabbled at trials and feel that the PC is well balanced and stabil at low speeds. I like to pull up at a stop and see how long I can keep my feet on the pegs. I hardly ever fall over.The PC is a grocery getting machine! I've ridden for days on end on the super slab and she just buzzes along without complaint.
Old 10-13-2012, 09:22 PM   #372
DHawthorne
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Hey Guys,

Picked up this clean 89 a few weeks back. First PC and so far it is turning out to be a fantastic experience.
22K on the clock, heated grips, cruse control, temp/volt/clock with Black ice alarms. New Dunlops and fresh fluids. I added on the tank bag and back rest.

I have a short list of things I would like to add to round it out for commuting and light touring. Looking at some additional LED lightning, bead rider seat cover and maybe a Givi top case ( came with the Givi rack)

Thoughts on these taller windscreens ? This is the first one I have ever had to actually look through and the jury is still out. Love the coverage, especially as it is turning colder here in Michigan. Quiet and I can ride with my FF helmet visor open pretty much all the time. I am having some trouble with it at night when oncoming cars light it up and also some difficulty in the rain. I tried standing up to simulate what a shorter one would feel like but cutting this one down is a little difficult to bring myself to try doing being that it would be a non reversible tweak. Anyone cut one down only to later regret doing so? What happens to the pillion rider with the shorter shield? Would she get much more wind blast or buffeting? And finally what about vents? I have seen vent kits for Goldwings that guys have put on their PC. Supposedly reduces back pressure and may provide a bit of summer cooling. I get a fair amount of back draft hitting me on the back of my shoulders /helmet especially when forced to ride in the dirty air behind big trucks. Actually quite odd to get cold in back and stay warm up front. I do get tossed about by sidewinds and these back drafts.
Looking forward to many a mile on it as a daily commuter and weekend get-a-way bike for my wife and I.

Cheers,
Darrel
DHawthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:22 AM   #373
rdtrvlr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
started taking my "freebie" PC apart over the weekend. sure makes me appreciate the simplicity of my KLR
rdtrvlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:28 AM   #374
DHawthorne
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Hey Guys,
Quick question for all of the PC riders

We live on a farm and have a long gravel/grass drive. The other morning I had
the front tire slide out and was unable to recover. Did a walking speed wash
out.
No damage to us or the bike. Full ATGATT and all we sustained was grass stains.

We plan to use this bike as a commuter and light touring bike but in addition to our driveway the roads
around here often include gravel, mud etc. So, what can I do about these
tires? Has anyone fitted their PC with some proper dual sport tires? If so
what brands and what can you share with me about the experience. This is my
first 'pavement only' bike and I like it well enough to keep it but I feel it is
unsafe for any off pavement use with these Dunlops. Thanks in advance for your
thoughts

Cheers,
Darrel
DHawthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 02:14 PM   #375
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHawthorne View Post
Hey Guys,
Quick question for all of the PC riders

We live on a farm and have a long gravel/grass drive. The other morning I had
the front tire slide out and was unable to recover. Did a walking speed wash
out.
No damage to us or the bike. Full ATGATT and all we sustained was grass stains.

We plan to use this bike as a commuter and light touring bike but in addition to our driveway the roads
around here often include gravel, mud etc. So, what can I do about these
tires? Has anyone fitted their PC with some proper dual sport tires? If so
what brands and what can you share with me about the experience. This is my
first 'pavement only' bike and I like it well enough to keep it but I feel it is
unsafe for any off pavement use with these Dunlops. Thanks in advance for your
thoughts

Cheers,
Darrel
Funny...someone asked the same question on the PC forum. I'm guessing it was you. If they don't have the answers no one does. If I needed a meatier tire for gravel I would get the Metzlers. My Kenda Cruz on the back has alot of rubber too and they are cheap. I can't imagine anyone making a 15 inch off roadish tire for the back. You could maybe get a 15 inch snow tire for a car? People put the BFG car tire on the PC. Why not a snow tire? You could be the first! Run that idea by the guys on the PC forum, that will get them chattering.....................PS..your from Meechigan too? Where?