Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2012, 02:28 PM   #376
DHawthorne
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Hey exoff-roadgoat,

Thanks for your response.

I did a quick search for some more suitable tires and it’s the rear that is not going to be easy to find.
Not quite ready to go to the dark side so I told my wife that we needed an additional full size (dual sport) bike. We currently have a Yamaha TW 200 for sale and maybe next year will look at some mid size Dual sport to round out the bike lineup. Fun little bike but too small for 2up at distance.

We did a color tour today. Rode the PC to Hell ( Michigan) and back. It was absolutely beautiful but very windy. This was the highest wind gusts I have ever ridden in on a fully faired road bike and I must admit to having several pucker moments. The Auto-lean feature on these bikes is down right creepy. We were getting tossed about like leaves on the wind. Mentally exhausting day but a beautiful ride. Those gusts sure test your cornering skills and counter steering instincts. Funny thing was I still found myself speeding. I would look down and sure enough I would be 5-10 over. Crazy!
I started working my body positioning to help with the wind and to reduce lean angles as much as practical. Seemed to help but I can’t say I ever got comfortable or the bike confidence instilling. So.... Mud and high winds pretty much suck on this bike but I still love it for everything else !!!!!

We are located down in Marshall.... and you?

Cheers,
Darrel

DHawthorne screwed with this post 10-17-2012 at 02:48 PM
DHawthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:48 PM   #377
rdtrvlr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 311
update: started dis assembly as a guy on the yahoo board has a motor cheap. got all the tupper ware off. I took the crank cover(?) and put a socket on the crank not expecting it to turn. well, with not a lot of force it "broke" free. I dumped some oil in it and hit the starte button and it turned over seemingly as it should , but didn't fire. took a plug out if each cyl and there is air blowing out of both. gonna borrow a gauge and see what kind of numbers I get.
any suggestions any of you might have would be greatly appreciated.
rdtrvlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:08 PM   #378
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

Oddometer: 4,206
Grandville.......I got in a ride today too. A little windy out of the south made for some buffeting but not as bad as what you encountered. I didn't ride to Hell but was as close to Heaven as I'll probably come. Beautiful day for a ride along the Lk Michigan shoreline. The colors were perfect and the beaches were empty.
exoff-roadgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:13 PM   #379
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdtrvlr View Post
update: started dis assembly as a guy on the yahoo board has a motor cheap. got all the tupper ware off. I took the crank cover(?) and put a socket on the crank not expecting it to turn. well, with not a lot of force it "broke" free. I dumped some oil in it and hit the starte button and it turned over seemingly as it should , but didn't fire. took a plug out if each cyl and there is air blowing out of both. gonna borrow a gauge and see what kind of numbers I get.
any suggestions any of you might have would be greatly appreciated.
You were expecting it be froze up? It must have been sitting for a while? The carbs are probably gummed up. No gas...no fire. The PC doesn't run well without an airbox either.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:14 PM   #380
DHawthorne
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by exoff-roadgoat View Post
Grandville.......I got in a ride today too. A little windy out of the south made for some buffeting but not as bad as what you encountered. I didn't ride to Hell but was as close to Heaven as I'll probably come. Beautiful day for a ride along the Lk Michigan shoreline. The colors were perfect and the beaches were empty.
Grandville! Went past your place last weekend. Went from Marshall to, Hastings, Middleville, Grand rapids, over to Holland, down to Saugatuck and then back home to Marshall. Had many roads to ourselves.

I still feel like I am swaying hours after getting off the bike.

Are there any other coasters in Michigan? Do you guys ever get together for group rides? Count us in for next year.

Cheers,
Darrel
Old 10-18-2012, 07:58 AM   #381
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHawthorne View Post
Grandville! Went past your place last weekend. Went from Marshall to, Hastings, Middleville, Grand rapids, over to Holland, down to Saugatuck and then back home to Marshall. Had many roads to ourselves.

Are there any other coasters in Michigan? Do you guys ever get together for group rides? Count us in for next year.

Cheers,
Darrel
I hope you took the back roads and followed the Thornapple River from Hastings to Middleville all the way to Cascade. From there you can take Grand River Av. the rest of the way into GR. Its a great ride.....Never done any PC group rides, done a few rides with ADV dualsporters. I have a DR650 too. I have a guy by me with a PC and a buddy with a PC but haven't ridden with either one. I don't care to road ride with others for some reason, even friends.??? I guess that maybe one of our bikes will be in heat and then all heck breaks loose...................
Old 10-18-2012, 08:15 AM   #382
DHawthorne
Adventurer

Hey exoff-roadgoat,
Yes, all secondary roads pretty much following the Thornapple. I used to live in Hastings, worked in Middleville and went to GR for dinner and shopping often.
I have never been one to ride in a group either but think it might be fun to meet up with some fellow PC’s to talk shop and check out each others bikes.
I am contemplating trimming my windshield down. To do or not to do this has been like a splinter in my mind since I got this bike. I currently look through at least 4-6” and I cannot help but wonder how that affected our ride yesterday. We seen several other bikes out riding and it didn’t look like they were struggling with the wind near as much as we were.

What is the seat height on your DR650? I am vertically challenged and like my seats in the 31” and under size.
The DR650/ DRZ400 is on my short list to consider. The KLR is way too tall for me. I tried a BMW f650gs and it fit well but the price is more than I wanted to go. I would love a Tiger 800XC but It looks too tall and of course still way too much.

Cheers,
Darrel
Old 10-18-2012, 12:10 PM   #383
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHawthorne View Post
Hey exoff-roadgoat,
Yes, all secondary roads pretty much following the Thornapple. I used to live in Hastings, worked in Middleville and went to GR for dinner and shopping often.
I have never been one to ride in a group either but think it might be fun to meet up with some fellow PC’s to talk shop and check out each others bikes.
I am contemplating trimming my windshield down. To do or not to do this has been like a splinter in my mind since I got this bike. I currently look through at least 4-6” and I cannot help but wonder how that affected our ride yesterday. We seen several other bikes out riding and it didn’t look like they were struggling with the wind near as much as we were.

What is the seat height on your DR650? I am vertically challenged and like my seats in the 31” and under size.
The DR650/ DRZ400 is on my short list to consider. The KLR is way too tall for me. I tried a BMW f650gs and it fit well but the price is more than I wanted to go. I would love a Tiger 800XC but It looks too tall and of course still way too much.

Cheers,
Darrel
Maybe we can hook up for lunch next year in Hastings at that fancy brew pub downtown? The name escapes me at the moment? The ride from Hastings to Irving Dam to Middleville is one of my favorites. Good grub in Middleville also. Lotsa good riding between Hastings and Gun Lake too. Good hard pack gravel roads too, ok for the PC even with Dunlops. My DR with the lower gel seat fits me perfect and I'm a 30" inseamer. I was going to lower it but like the stock height. I've taken the DR on a couple of overnighters up to Traverse City taking just back roads and two tracks. Its perfect for that. My DR is way faster and way more fun to ride than the PC, but I have the PC mainly for everyday transportation, getting groceries and touring. I have enough storage with my Givi trunk I can be gone a month without wearing dirty undies for more than a day.....or so. The Pacific Coast is the only bike I've ever had with a fairing so I don't know any better when I'm getting blasted by head winds and side winds. I have the short Clearview windshield and just look over the top when sitting upright. The wind just catches the top of my helmet..When it rains or the bugs get bad I can slouch a little to get out of the slop. Riding the DR at high speeds get tiring after a while without a windshield so I stay off the interstate unless I'm in a big hurry to get somewhere. The DR turns less RPMs at 70mph than the PC and is supprisingly smooth, but the wind is a killer.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:32 AM   #384
DHawthorne
Adventurer

Hey Guys,
Check out my latest addition to the PC:

For some time now I have been seeing guys use these ‘Beadrider' seat covers and report being extremely fond of them, especially for longer rides or for use in extreme heat and rain. Popular with the Iron Butt rally folks.

Not unlike the beaded seat covers so popular with taxi cab drivers these provide some additional comfort on a long ride. Because the beads are hollow and elevate you some you do get some air exchange under your hind quarters which would be most welcome in the summer.

When it rains you are about 5/8” elevated and the water can more easily drain away leaving you high and dry. The extra 5/8” feels good and doesn’t hinder my being able to more or less flat foot this bike. The extra seat height is actually welcome as it changes my knee angle slightly and that feels better.

My consideration was that it could be slippery but in fact it actually sinks into the saddle and my riding pants and firmly locks me in place. Very positive and secure feeling. I just finished installing it and did a short test run but will try to fit in a longer ride soon.

A commercially made ‘Beadrider' brand seat cover made specifically for a bike would run you around 45 bucks w/ shipping.
http://www.beadrider.com/

I have under 5 bucks in this homemade mock up to see it I like it. I found a car seat cover this last summer at a garage sale for a couple bucks and had everything I needed to retrofit it. There are DIY plans but basically you are just making a car seat cover smaller.

I removed the extra beads and ran a strong cord around the perimeter. I then attached quick connect buckles to the underside on the PC’s seat and the other end onto the seat cover. I can have it off in just seconds if I start getting waffle butt

I hit it with some Black enamel spray paint to help protect it from the elements and can touch it up as needed. There is enough beads left to make a pillion seat cover for my wife. She loves the stock seat but agreed that they would be nice in the summer or rain.

I will let you know if it’s a keeper once I get some more time on it. So far so good. It holds you securely yet lets you easily reposition. I can feel a slight air wash and know that it will help with heat/ rain. Does feel a bit strange but in a favorable way.

Cheers,
Darrel
Old 11-02-2012, 08:11 AM   #385
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

Nice beads Hawthorne. Is your seat black or gray? It looks black in the picture but I thought the 89s had gray seats? My Corbin is cooler than the stock seat because of the cross hatch material.
Old 11-02-2012, 08:19 AM   #386
RAGBrian
jonesing for a ride

Oddometer: 940
I have always wanted to try a bead seat on my motos. At my mom's house (mom doesn't seem to want to throw anything away) I noticed she had a bead seat cover in her basement that was broken. I think I'll see if she doesn't want to need it anymore and make my own $5 version as well!
Old 11-02-2012, 09:41 AM   #387
DHawthorne
Adventurer

Quote:
Nice beads Hawthorne. Is your seat black or gray? It looks black in the picture but I thought the 89s had gray seats? My Corbin is cooler than the stock seat because of the cross hatch material.
Yes,
It’s Black. It was a bright Sunny day and the colors are washed out slightly but it is a nice rich black in person.

It was real easy to make this one. I put the perimeter cord in place FIRST and then cut the extra bead off. I went out a couple rows from where I wanted it to be once done and worked my way back to the perimeter cording. This left me long enough ends to tie off and trim. The original stringing was done with monofilament. I used two pairs of pliers to pul the knots super tight and then trimmed and tucked the knots inside the beads. Pretty self evident how to do it once you start.

I have ridden with it on these past few days and it does cool you off a bit too much this time of year. I think it would be great for summer and then swap it out for an Alaskan sheep skin for the cooler months.

Cheers,
Darrel
Old 11-04-2012, 04:47 PM   #388
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

I'm putting my red rocket away for the winter this week. Yep, tucking her away for the winter in the nice warm basement. Add some Stabil, plug in the battery tender and point the Buick south for a couple of months. I keep my DR650 on standby during the winter incase mother nature sneeks in a nice day now and then, which in Michigan is rare. I know, some of you hard cores tough it out rain or shine but thats never been my cup of tea. For the next few weeks I'll be kayaking and bicycling in the Sunshine State.. ..Its tough being retired and old....The old I can do without but you have to play by natures rule book. Dang.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:59 AM   #389
Avi8tor
ADV Poser

Oddometer: 222
Quote:
I've gotten my best mileage, low fifties, in the mountains, Smokies and Rockies. Makes no sense with it working hard on the uphills but it is what it is.???..We've had a very hot summer and I usually ride my DR 650 around town because its more fun to ride but the DR throws off alot of heat unlike the Pacific Coast where the heat exits out the bottom or the two side vents. My stock suspension sucks the big one. I need some shocks and front springs bad.
The higher MPGs in the mountains is due to the lower air resistance from the thinner air. I've experienced the same even in a car. Once you get above 5,000 or 6,000 feet, it becomes noticeable.

Are these bikes reliable even at 20+ years old? Assuming they have been taken care of.
Avi8tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:31 AM   #390
nigelcorn
Wannabe.

Oddometer: 795
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmithy View Post

Are these bikes reliable even at 20+ years old? Assuming they have been taken care of.
Absolutely.
nigelcorn is offline   Reply With Quote