Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2010, 05:54 AM   #121
vermin
unrepentant thinner

Oddometer: 540
insturmentation teck tips

Quote:
Originally Posted by PC-Rider
Any one have problems with the speedometer reading a lot higher than the speed you know you are going ?

While cruising at 55 mph the speedometer went up to 105.
Now it will sometimes peg itself.
It is intermittent.
It is happening a lot more often now then it did earlier.
The speedometer will usually work fine when I turn the bike on, and then after some riding it will start acting up.

I changed the speedometer cable about 8 months ago and have had no problems until about a month ago.

The tac still works fine.
It looks as though there is some electronics between the top end of the speedometer cable and the dial.

Any ideas !!! ???
question number one.

Have you ever seen a cop and looked down and noticed you are speeding?

Its too late you are busted.

you are either a speeder type or a not speeder type no speedometer will in any way affect the results. I suggest taking the speedo cable off. Or beating the entire cluster out with a hammer.

vermin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 05:21 AM   #122
PC-Rider
venturer

Oddometer: 4,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by vermin
question number one.

Have you ever seen a cop and looked down and noticed you are speeding?

Its too late you are busted.

you are either a speeder type or a not speeder type no speedometer will in any way affect the results. I suggest taking the speedo cable off. Or beating the entire cluster out with a hammer.

Answer number one:
NO

As far as the rest of it:

I've thought about that !

Especially after reading your adventure.

The problem with me is I try to do the speed limit.
That is why I answered no to your first question.
OK, no one's perfect, maybe a little over !

I keep a pretty good eye on my speed.

I have the faster speeds figured out in 4th & 5th gear.
I am more worried about those local who don't like you doing over 25 in a residential area.

--------------------

The only thing I haven't figured out is how do you know how much gas you have left ???
Especially when you take those long trips out in the middle of no where !

CACK is looking pretty khaki !
I love it.

My Thread of Where I've Been: "PC's Adventures in PIctures"
PC-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 05:56 AM   #123
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

Oddometer: 4,173
Most of the time I agree with Vermin..... but.....go to the IPCRC for the correct answer. Its good to see Cack again. Go Cack go!
exoff-roadgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 05:21 PM   #124
Green427
Comfortably Dumb

Oddometer: 1,073
Just picked this one up today.

1990, 42K miles. Retiring guy bought it two years ago, new to motorcycling. Put 5 miles on it, took it to the dealer for a 'tuneup'. Brought it home, rode around the neighborhood, dropped it while trying to maneuver in his garage. Got frustrated and just left it there.

Previous owner painted it black on top of the original maroon. It has a Vista Cruise, and switches for a comm system & radio. Definitely was used for long distance riding.

It currently will not start up, will drain the fuel and clean the carbs, etc. Looks like gaskets on engine are leaking. Tank appears to be good. Tires are brand new, but 5 years old.

Once I get it up and running, changing all the fluids, etc, I plan to take the wheels off and clean them up.

Wondering if I should strip down the black paint and repaint it to the original color?

Old 07-11-2010, 05:34 PM   #125
El Guero
V4 Whore

Oddometer: 9,726
Repainting will be a waste of time unless you hate black... Maroon bikes are lame

Get new tires clean the carbs, new battery, fuel filter, blah blah blah.

I am jealous, I imagine you didn't pay much. I dunno what it is about these things... They are so slow and dorky and I have seen more Brough Superiors on the road than PC800s, but they just seem so practical and reliable and have this unexpected "FUCK Y'ALL AND YER HORSEPOWER" mentality

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 05:45 PM   #126
DouglasVB
Tupperwear Rider

Oddometer: 80
It looks like you got a bike in great condition, Green427!

What sort of leaks are you getting off the engine? It's 10 to 1 odds that it is the cam plugs. Before you dive in to try to locate those leaks, get it running and figure out how bad it's leaking. Some people have ridden 100k miles with them leaking without problem. Well, aside from the odd drip on concrete.

In case you aren't aware, the IPCRC (pc800.net) is the best place to get help and assistance on all things related to the PC.

You just purchased a great bike. Sure, it might look a little funny and not have the most massive engine in the world, but once you get it running properly, it will not die. Just look at the abuse that Vermin has put Cack through. He didn't have any coolant in it for who knows how long. He didn't change the oil for at least 10k miles. He hasn't had fluid in his shocks for an unknown number of years. And yet his bike keeps on running. (note: I don't recommend you try to imitate Vermin. There can be only one Cack.)
(former) 1984 Honda Shadow VT700 (never named)
Contrary to popular belief, the PC800 is a capable off-pavement machine.
DouglasVB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 06:28 PM   #127
Green427
Comfortably Dumb

Thanks for the compliments.

I don't know diddly about these bikes other than what I've read about them.

I still need to take the tupperware off in order to figure out why it will not start, and see if I can locate the oil leak. The entire bottom left side is oily, but the upper engine appears to be dry from what I can see by peeking inside the vast, ridiculous amount of plastic.

Will tackle the bike later this weekend.

I signed up at pc800.net yesterday (jb1006) and asked a couple questions. Interesting site.

Thanks
Jim
Old 07-11-2010, 06:52 PM   #128
DouglasVB
Tupperwear Rider

Hmm I didn't see your questions on the IPCRC... Sometimes the Yahoo Groups site runs a little slow with messages.

The cam plugs are partway down the heads where it is incredibly difficult to see unless you pull plastics off and the engine cover off.

If your bike didn't come with it, you'll want to keep this link handy: http://www.directcon.net/lcshepp/PC800ShopManual.html

And this link: http://users.cwnet.com/lcshepp/PC800OwnerManual.html

If those two links don't answer your questions, the IPCRC can.
Old 07-11-2010, 07:43 PM   #129
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guero
I am jealous, I imagine you didn't pay much. I dunno what it is about these things... They are so slow and dorky and I have seen more Brough Superiors on the road than PC800s, but they just seem so practical and reliable and have this unexpected "FUCK Y'ALL AND YER HORSEPOWER" mentality

RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 02:57 PM   #130
Green427
Comfortably Dumb

Ugh...taking the tupperware off is a bigger pain than I thought.

There is a fiberglas shield around the engine. Is that easy to take out once I get the screws off?

Need to find out why there is gas gushing out of the bottom of the carbs while it is cranking.

Started and ran for 10 seconds, then gas began to drip all over the place.

p.s. The previous dealer that worked on the bike was a class act...just cut a bunch of wires and left them hanging. I found 3 switches and a few connectors that are just hanging under the plastic.

Gonna have to take everything off and reorganize.
Old 07-12-2010, 03:36 PM   #131
DouglasVB
Tupperwear Rider

The fiberglass shield comes off with patience. Don't give into temptation to cut it. Without it, you'll start melting your tupperwear. The service manual provides decent instructions on how to remove it.

If you've got gas gushing out, you'll probably need to tear apart your carbs and do a thorough inspection. There is a file on the IPCRC group that has a good step-by-step set of instructions on how to go through the carbs to look for problems. It is probably something like a stuck float. It's fixable. Again, requires patience.

As you're pulling the abandoned switches off, you might save them for later. Someone on the PC800 forum might know what after market kit they belong to.

Good luck!
Old 07-12-2010, 04:32 PM   #132
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

Chicks dig the PC. If your ever going to get laid, this is the bike that will draw them in. All that plastic makes the ladies feel safe and secure. OBTY, it hasn't worked for me yet.
Old 07-12-2010, 05:27 PM   #133
DouglasVB
Tupperwear Rider

The PC has worked for me!

I regularly go riding with a buddy who has a Harley dripping with chrome. The ladies always come over to my PC800 to chat. It irks him a little that all that shiny stuff and all of the noise his pipes produce can't compensate for the fact that he rides a Harley.

Female friends who have ridden on the back of both my PC (with the Hondaline backrest) and his Harley (with and without backrest) find my bike to be much more comfortable and "safe feeling." So for the crowd who would normally not be attracted to bikes, I think a PC is the way to go.

Now if you want a biker chick dressed in leather who looks like a man, go for the Harley by all means. As for me, I'll be sticking with my Tupperwear Dandy and the women who never thought they'd be convinced to ride a motorcycle. They always get the biggest thrill from riding a motorcycle for the first time. And it just so happens they're riding behind me.

As always, YMMV.
Old 07-13-2010, 06:20 PM   #134
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

Your a dog..................a lucky dog..............riding a dog.

exoff-roadgoat screwed with this post 07-13-2010 at 06:34 PM
Old 07-13-2010, 06:52 PM   #135
DouglasVB
Tupperwear Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by exoff-roadgoat
Your a dog..................a lucky dog..............

I ain't nothing but a hound dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by exoff-roadgoat
riding a dog.

My beautiful burgeoning beauty of a bike is anything but a dog! She's all the motorcycle I'll ever need. And if you can't appreciate her supple curves, full figure, and woman-luring abilities , that's fine by me. That means there will be more femme fatale passengers riding on the back of my bike.

So really what I'm saying is the PC800 is a horrible bike that none of you should buy. In fact if you have one, I'll gladly take it off your hands. $100/bike is what I'll pay. That must be at least double the rate you'd get anywhere else!