User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2010, 06:22 PM   #1
theothersean OP
dirty boy

Oddometer: 949
Gave blood in maine

Well, gave blood to the mosquitos and horse flies at least.

wife and I headed up thursday after work for the long 4th weekend .
Stayed at a friends primitive camp in parkman .

Friday morning got up to finish un packing and get ready to head out to greenville. We got a late start on the day ,

wifey sporting her mad hatter knee brace socks

the trails out there were for the most part dusty with a few of the usual wet spots here and there

we ended up at Kelly's landing at the south end of moose head lake for lunch, good food as usual

After lunch we headed up the side of the lake to Elephant Mountain to visit the site of the B52 bomber crash from 50+ years ago .
the pictures I took and the ones we have seen on the web do not do the justice of how spread out in the woods this is, truley amazing to see in person .

on the way back through greenville, I wanted to stop to see the mud hole I was stuck in last year on the 4th weekend

last year

this year, same spot , behind the dealership across from kelly's

they do a real good job of maintaining the trails up there.

we decided to take a few laps around the mini oval off the trail on the way back

so we get to the down hill rocky section on ITS 85 and wifey says that her tail is loos and is flopping around, at first I get excited , but quickly realized she was refering to the bike.

the frame was cracked

so a few bits and pieces from here and there ,
hose clamps that I carry on the handlebars for just such an occasion , mixed with a couple wrenches , safety wire and some zip ties , and McGuyvered a solution .

then I realize that its also cracked on the opposite side , out comes the spare clutch lever , more zip ties and safety wire

so after doing the trail side repair we were headed back to camp all be it a bit later than expected, so the plans for the fancy fire cooked meal will have to wait for another night , we swung by the abbot village bakery for some of their macaroni salad to go with our weiners and beans .

managed 110 miles for the day

still had time to get a fire going to "RELAX" by

stay tuned for day 2
04 prairie 700 (plow duty)
theothersean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 05:54 PM   #2
theothersean OP
dirty boy

DAY 2
We had talked for years about doing an over nighter and roughing it , so this year we planed on it .

packed up minimal gear and headed for jackman from parkman via atv trail

the first part of the day took us on the same trails we did the day before , only this time loaded with gear , I took the bulk of it, not wanting to stress the sub frame on wifes bike any more than we had to
It was a bit hard to ride it like that being that I couldn;t shift my weight to the back especially on the down hills, but I managed .

we went out CC road to moxie then on to the forks

after lunch and a fill up at the forks we headed out on the trail to jackman , not knowing what to expect , there were some good views.'

not quite sure why someone would need this many bees out in the middle of no where , but there sure were a lot of them

we didn't stop for pics on the steep rocky sections , but there were a few of them , and especially challenging loaded up .

when we pulled into town , we gassed up and got a few "supplies" for the evening. and as we were taking a break we realized that there was a parade getting ready to roll through town

I do use the term loosely as it was more of a row of mixed decorated traffic, that lasted all of 9 minutes, you couldn;t tell the difference of where the parade ended and the backed up traffic began .

We headed up the road in search of a dead end dirt road we could set up camp . 3rd try we found this spot on a lake .

started to un pack and get set up

took a quick break to enjoy some of our "supplies"

we got the bed room set up

then onto the bathroom

and proceeded to get the kitchen set up to get dinner going

I made one of those cool little alcohol stoves out of 2 soda cans, its light weight and pretty effective . the wind break is 1/2 a coffee can and it all fits inside the cook pot .

4 cups of water takes a bit to boil so we wait

about 10 mins later we are almost ready

the sun was setting so we took a front row seat

DAY 3
we got up pretty early , as sleeping on the ground doens't lend it self to a good nights sleep.

the bugs were not too bad last night as the wind off the lake kept them away but once the wind died down the skitters and deer flies were all over us , despite the country cologne we had on (100% deet)

I made a few adjustments to the frame repair and loaded up to head back to base camp

the ride back was hot dry and dusty

we got back to camp in the early afternoon , its sunday , so time for a shower wether you need one or not ( and we definately needed one)

I also had time to make the fancy fire made meal .
we had brought up some fresh pea pods from wifes garden,

a few onions, hot peppers , garlic and some chicken and you have spicy peanut chicken

got the dishes cleaned up after dinner

time for some fireworks , well they were hot, loud and sparkly ( dead pine with needles still on )

DAY 4
Back to the "naked bikes"
plan was to head out to bingham for lunch

it was the hottest day of the weekend , so we packed some shorts and a towell for a swim at the kingsburry dam on the way back to camp.
they even have giffords icecream there at the roach coach now
the maine black bear is quite tasty

wife was done being in the dust cloud for the weekend and took over the lead

DAY 5 , we broke camp, and headed for home .

great weekend despite a couple hiccups .

430ish miles of atv trail for the 4 days
saw a million bees
thousands of deer flies
tons of mosquitoes
6 deer
a hand full of grouse
and a red fox .
and we left maine with less blood than we came with but the bugs were happy .

theothersean screwed with this post 07-08-2010 at 06:00 PM
Old 07-08-2010, 06:11 PM   #3
GS Bones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,129
Fantastic trip and report. Great pics....made it real easy to see what you were doing, the whole time. LOVED the McGuyver fix on the rear frame, and the fact that it didn't end your trip. Loved the tips on your stove, thing. These are the kinds of adventure trips some of us can really connect with. Not so "far out there" that it couldn't be imagined by us mere mortals, but out there enough to push the envelope. Thanks!

Bones

"Context is everything."
GS Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 07:14 PM   #4
sparrow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,130
The gas can was most likely the culprit. Those subframes aren't designed to handle that much weight that high up and out over the fender. Good thing is is that you can get that welded up with out too much hassle. Any decent welder can get that done in a 1/2 hr or so.
sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 07:52 PM   #5
AlabamaCowboy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 465
Enjoyed you report.... I was in that area back about 1994.... drove up with my 3 year old daughter (and her mother) from Alabama... we stayed at Attean Pond camp out on an island ....We were there before 4th of July...the place was a ghost town... reminded us of The Shining every night we went up to the main dining hall to eat.... We spent some time around Moosehead Lake, Greenville, up to Jackman and even on to Quebec City.... Where my sweet little Alabama daughter was very confused by the french speaking children she encountered !.... Maine is a beautiful state....Visited the coast this past fall and enjoyed it.... If I ever hit the big lottery.....Im guessing I will buy a place up there !!

Thanks for the good report ....and I know exactly what you mean about those blackflies !!!
1982 Honda Passport
AlabamaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 08:54 PM   #6
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,317
Looks like a good time in the woods, thanks for the report and pics
Old 07-09-2010, 09:10 AM   #7
TMoore
Arai Test Dummy

Oddometer: 211
Great report!

I was riding little bikes up around Fryeburg on Monday and it was pretty brutal heat/dust wise. I dont know how you can handle the bugs for that many days either.

Hey if you are gonna start shooting artsy fartsy shots like this you are gonna need a better camera

2001 Aprilia RSVR Mille
TMoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 09:36 AM   #8
Boondoggle
Gear Grinder

Oddometer: 12,975
No moose? You sure you were in Maine?

Was up in Jackman about a month ago- great area and thanks for posting the ride.

By the way, take a minute to think about how lucky you are that your wife enjoys riding with you, I'd love to be able to share a weekend like that with LanceWife.

I've been poking a giant bouncy ball with a needle. You feel anything yet? -Blake716
Boondoggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 02:03 PM   #9
CYCLE_MONKEY
Crazy Italian

Oddometer: 24
Well, glad you didn't give blood to the pavement! Whew! That's what I thought you meant......
CYCLE_MONKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 03:22 PM   #10
theothersean OP
dirty boy

I dropped the bike off yesterday at the body shop down the road , it was broken in 2 places, I had some solid round stock I get from work to slide into the frame to reinforce it and so that they had something to weld to got the bike back today, looks pretty good . and only $75 to fix it .

Funny you should mention the camera we are going to morrrow to get a new one, we saw a fugi that is water resistant, and dust proof , and about 1/2 the size and twice the camera we have now.

I consider my self lucky everyday to have a wife I can ride with and share the adventure.
Old 07-09-2010, 03:37 PM   #11
justplainray
ucancallmeray

Oddometer: 255
what happened to...

the date stamp on the later photos?????
time travel?
justplainray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 04:09 PM   #12
theothersean OP
dirty boy

funny, we were having problems with the camera having to pull the batteries and re starting to get it to work I must had not reset the date , I hadn't noticed it , but that explains why they didn't load onto the computer in the right sequence .

hopefully the upcoming new camera will fix that problem
Old 07-09-2010, 04:20 PM   #13
TMoore
Arai Test Dummy

Oddometer: 211
Look at the Cannon D10 before you buy. Waterproof (can be used under water) and dustproof. All that in a package with optical zoom. I love mine but it may be a bit too bulky (does fits in Klim thigh pocket).

Quote:
Originally Posted by theothersean
Funny you should mention the camera we are going to morrrow to get a new one, we saw a fugi that is water resistant, and dust proof , and about 1/2 the size and twice the camera we have now.
2001 Aprilia RSVR Mille
TMoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 08:37 AM   #14
prometheus rising
Ghost In The Machine

Oddometer: 694
All around goodness here Sweet trip and pics, great McGyver action on the frame

And now here is my secret, a very simple secret; it is only with the heart that one can see rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eye. - Antoine De Saint-Exupery

The Adirondacks and Beyond
prometheus rising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 03:22 PM   #15
Joe?

Oddometer: 679
Quote:
Originally Posted by prometheus rising
great McGyver action on the frame

I'll be carrying a few extra wrenches from now on. Great report, glad you enjoyed the weekend, thanks for sharing.
Joe? is offline   Reply With Quote