User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2010, 02:47 PM   #1
mnormand OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
More SLAP10 pics

Man I had a great time all around. First ADV gathering for me. Food was exceptional everywhere, at camp, at Oark, at Catalpa.

Riding was great, especially in the morning. 175 miles on Fri, and 125 on Sat, almost all gravel / dirt forest roads. Enough occasional mud & deer trails to make it interesting.

One small slow speed biff for me when a big rock tilted on end, front wheel went left, I went right. Lost a couple of bolts on a barkbuster, everything else good. No other carnage.

Big thanks to DRZCharile and DrLewall for making this happen.

Rider meeting Fri morn, Doc led 4 of us to Whoopteedoo Road.

Tree hit by lightning

Why I should move here

Thanks for riding sweep Mike !!

The swingin bridge

Safety meeting?

Our posse at Shore's Lake overlook. Mike, James, doc, Ray, me

Two snakes sunning below the Shore's Lake dam

Saturday's ride led by Neuner and friends.

We were a pretty big group at first.. +/- 15 or so?

This muddy road was great fun... until we all were humbled by the Versys guy !!!

He definitely deserves an award, not for trying, but for doing !

We got to a crossing just short of Catalpa, it was that or go back. Neuner and the Polish guy were instrumental in getting everyone across safely, and even pushed the Versys across. You guys rock !

Crossing 1 Video

Crossing 2 Video

Catalpa Cafe for lunch

I sure would love to own this Husky

Gus's bike was really cool

hanging Thurs evening at the lodge

mnormand screwed with this post 05-23-2010 at 03:25 PM
mnormand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 03:47 PM   #2
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Oddometer: 31,804
SLAP 2010 report(s)

Hey guys, post all of your SLAP pictures and reports here, in one thread so we dont have 4 or 5 threads to hunt down!

I was fun!
DrLewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 04:04 PM   #3
lewismedlock

Oddometer: 12,910
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLewall

I was fun!
Posted for posterity

lewismedlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 04:14 PM   #4
lewismedlock

nnichols searches for a route, or watches a Lady Gaga video, you just never know, and DirtyDog eats lunch is Sallisaw.

DirtyDog with our bikes on the trailer.

The Friday night gathering.

Tomski sings!. He's quite an entertainer, and his impression of Louis Armstrong's What a Wonderful World is sure to be a YouTube classic. Thanks Tomski!

Old 05-23-2010, 04:21 PM   #5
MetalBender
none

Oddometer: 570
Ia/Ne SLAP riders ride.

for Doc an Charlie for putting on a great ride and working so hard to feed us so well. Many Thanks!

Friday a group of four of us headed over to the OHV park and hit some trails. They were a bit damp.

But we rocked'em anyway.

Came across a cool spot.

Any guess what bikes got the coolest?

After another creek crossing and a very steep rocky uphill (know idea why the 2-stokes only went down it ) we came to a small obstacle.

The OHV park was great riding and a bit of a challenge on 650's.

Saturday we headed for Warloop looking to be challenged again when we saw this.

We took our time heading down it.

In case there is any doubt we made to the bottom.

After the leisurely ride to the bottom we pinned it up and down it again to make it a bit more exciting and headed into Mountainburg for a quick bite.

We were lucky to find any place with food in town. We got there just in time to be served as much as we could eat to finish off what they had left at the Masons Hall. $4 each, six plates of food and they left a half gallon of OJ on the table for us.

We got 90 or so miles in during the morning and took out for more adventure in the afternoon closer to camp. A short 18 miles to and from camp resulted in a four hour ride.

After all that work we found we had no choice but to return the same way we came. It was all well worth it and still a great challenge, we'd do it again.

And a parting shot from our SLAP ride.

MetalBender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 04:25 PM   #6
lewismedlock

Saturday morning at Turner Bend.

Between the fun sections, planning a route while parked on a county road.

Some shots of our crossing of what I believe was called the Bear's Branch.

Tomski and Newer.

The longest wheelie of the weekend, or how to dry a swamped bike.

lewismedlock screwed with this post 05-23-2010 at 08:19 PM
Old 05-23-2010, 04:27 PM   #7
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Oddometer: 31,804
Thats what I'm talking abt!!!
DrLewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 04:42 PM   #8
lewismedlock

Just before a difficult rocky uphill section and a swampy area where I fell.

Planning a route back to White Rock.

Cooling off

Saturday Night dinner.

Thanks Doc, Charlie, everyone else involved the the preparation, and everybody I rode with. It was a fantastic weekend, and I look forward to doing it again.

Old 05-23-2010, 07:38 PM   #9
nevada72
Clatto Verata Nicto

Oddometer: 501
Nevada72 pics Pt I

Well I do have a few (2000+) pics to share. Guess I shouldn't have just let that Hero cam run all day. Thanks to Charlie and Doc for putting on a great get together, Darren for leading a great ride, and Gus and Kris for providing tons of eats and SLAP support. The Arkansas crew ROCKS as always!

Headin out. It won't look that clean for long!

On the back deck.

The view from the top of White Rock was beautiful

Kris, Charlie, and John (from Alaska) who is on a GS adventure of his own

Mrs Mossy Creek, Travis, Joe, yours truly -

nevada72 screwed with this post 05-24-2010 at 05:15 AM
nevada72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 08:08 PM   #10
Bell47Pilot
MonkeyButt

Oddometer: 1,759
Made it home a couple of hours ago.

The ol' Kenda 270 is a Bald Knobber now! Too tired to post pics now, but not too tired to thank Doc, Charlie, and Gus for slapping (yuk yuk) this together! THANKS!

Think I'll leave the mud on the KLR for a bit to remind me of what a kickarse time I had! It wouldn't have anything to do with me being a lazy sob......

To those that I met up there, it was a pleasure. To those that I didn't, I look forward to meeting you next year!
Ride On
Preston Drew Haun June 17, 1981- August 15, 2010 #1
To achieve anything in this game you must be prepared to dabble in the
boundary of disaster. (Sterling Moss)
Bell47Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 08:37 PM   #11
Jungmann1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 164
Had an awesome time this weekend, made a bunch of new friends. Might have a few pics to share later, but not much. I was pretty much tail-end charlie in my group so didn't get too many chances to get out the camera. Thanks to all! Had a blast!
Old 05-23-2010, 08:39 PM   #12
DirtyDog
Lust for dust.

Oddometer: 7,535
Most of my highlights will be evidenced in others' pics/vids, so I'll be brief.
Left Tulsa with LewisMedlock and met up with several riders in Stilwell, OK for lunch at the feed store / plumbing supply / cafe. Yes, we trailered- had precious cargo.

Fried catfish special.

Friday pre-dinner loop. Bidville cemetary.

Quick dinner, then let the drinking resume.

Streaker.

Mariachi and sing-a-longs.

White Rock Blues.

Garth Brooks Fail.

Campfire.

Best ever.

Hippie.

Bikes and rides.

Pre-ride meeting. "I order you to have fun."

My Saturday riding buddies consisted of 2 WR250s, X-Challenge, and a KTM450 (plus my KLR). I followed all day and did my best to keep pace. Hell of a ride guys. Thanks again.

I needed a proper ramp to get airborne.

Had to retreat here.

Because of this.

Found some snotty mud. Too much for the trials tire.

Tough climb.

Chris makes it look easy.

Steve made this jump eventually. I detoured.

Our route for the day (yellow, 115 mi).

More random shots.

-DustyRags
DirtyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 08:46 PM   #13
DirtyDog
Lust for dust.

Oddometer: 7,535
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungmann1
Had an awesome time this weekend, made a bunch of new friends. Might have a few pics to share later, but not much. I was pretty much tail-end charlie in my group so didn't get too many chances to get out the camera. Thanks to all! Had a blast!
John- Sorry to hear about your get-offs. Hope you're recovering well.

All- post your GPS tracks HERE
-DustyRags

DirtyDog screwed with this post 05-23-2010 at 08:56 PM
DirtyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 08:57 PM   #14
messy
Go Fast

Oddometer: 115
Thank you very much to everyone who put in the work for SLAP to happen! I had a great time exploring Arkansas. Truly puts Iowa roads to shame as far as excitement goes.
messy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 10:27 PM   #15
Krabill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,638
Count me in the big round of applause for Doc, Charlie, and crew for all the hard work putting this thing together this year. Phenomenal

I planned on riding over Friday morning with a group, but every one of them canceled for one reason or another. That's fine. I can ride solo. I needed fuel before I hit the road anyway, so I stopped by the morning meeting spot knowing full well nobody was going to be there and who should happen to ride up but HighFive.

I knew he was busy and wouldn't be able to go this year so when I asked him what he was doing he said "you didn't really think I'd let you ride all that way by yourself, did you?" He was going to give up a half a day to ride part way over with me knowing full well he had much more important things to take care of. You can't buy friends like that.

So now I've got HF with me and since he's not going all the way to SLAP, he obviously still wants to get in as much good riding as he can squeeze into this half day, so he immediately takes the lead and points the front wheel towards some of the best twisty roads NE Oklahoma has to offer. We didn't get far however, before we had to make a pit stop for some milk shakes. It's a tradition

He's the one taking time out of his schedule and picking all the great roads, so I'm buyin' We couldn't stop with just the milkshakes, though

We hit some more great twisties, then run a wee bit o' the TAT.

Not to long after that (having tacked on an additional 70 miles or so of more roads than I had originally planned on riding), HF had to split off and head back to take care of more important matters.

I continued on my way solo.

I stopped in Prairie Grove and topped my tank off before heading South. Made my way through Devil's Den.

Then down to Mountainburg. My 4 year old son loves dinosaurs. I couldn't pass this up. Of course I had to pull into the City Hall parking lot to get the shot, but nobody said anything, so eh

The gas station in Mountainburg is closed just in case anybody was counting on it. A little late now on the notice, huh?

Anyway . . . up Warloop I go. The first thing I come to is a stuck truck. Why is it stuck? Because he tried to go around the tree that has fallen across Warloop. I hopped right over it and kept going, but then I said "hey, I better go back and get a picture of that", so I turned around and went back just to get the shot. You can see the truck off to the left.

There was one more tree down, but you could just ride right through that one, so it wasn't really an issue. The rest of the way up to White Rock was standard fare.

I set up camp, sign in, say my hello's, and Chris and I take off to do a little exploring before dinner. We found a bunch of short dead end trails, but one was a little longer and particularly fun. The trail stopped right at the river.

We got back just in time for dinner. Yumm. You guys out-did yourselves.

Arkridergc decided he was going to bring a guitar come hell or high water and he strapped that thing on the back of his WR250R for the ride in We passed it back and forth on the back deck and made some noise after dark.

Come Saturday morning we get a little group together and after waiting an eternity for Chris to make home made biscuits and gravy for breakfast we were lucky to get out of camp before lunchtime and hit the trails.

DirtyDog - Superstar KLR pilot

When I think back about just how bad some of the trails we were on really were, I'll still have to say we didn't ride anything you couldn't take a KLR down

Here's Chris fixing his BMW. We gotta wait on him to eat brunch, we gotta wait on him to fix his bike, and he has no rear brake pads. Not worn down brake pads . . . NO rear brake pads . . . they just aren't there

After I hopped on over, Boogn1sh was nice enough to use his bike to hold down the elevated log for everybody else to ride over. Nice guy

Not until all the remaining bikes are over does anybody offer to help get his WR back on two wheels. Of course I've got my hands full taking pictures. What are friends for

A few of the trails were overgrown. A few of the trails lead to dead ends. Some did both.

Takin' a break and eatin' some snacks.

This next hill came out of nowhere. We're heading down this beautiful, fast, smooth, fun two-track type of trail when this monster was lurking just around the corner. Boogn1sh was leading and I was right behind him. We were already moving pretty good, so he just gave 'er a little more of the go-juice and started climbing. I'm right behind him and not slowing down. Somewhere about mid-hill he gets jammed up on a rock and I'm breathing right up his tailpipe No problem . . . take a breath . . . assess the situation . . . pick a different line . . . and hammer it I never even slowed down and bounced my way on up to the top.

Boog managed to get himself unstuck with a little finesse and continued on up to the top with me. The rest of the group was smart enough to stop at the bottom to "think about it" first. Smart guys. Well, one of them anyway. He decided it looked like more work than fun and had had just about enough of us anyway and made his way back to camp solo. The last two bikes at the bottom of the hill were big ones. DirtyDog on his KLR and Chris on his BMW 650X.

They both made it with a little work, but DD's effort was second to none on that KLR. I think Boog got it all on film.

Here's DD at the top. Boog pointed out that he was pretty confident DD was sitting on the very first KLR to be sitting on the top of that hill. I don't doubt it one bit. Of course there is no way to show you just how bad this was in pictures, but believe me it's a nasty one.

Bitchin' bike

Of course this trail came to a dead end too. Ugh. Back down. DD just hopped over a log on his way back down.

We were hot, tired, and hungry after all that, so off to Oark we go.

DD and Chris

Boogn1sh

Me and Boog

Eats

We went out and hit some more trails after lunch. Boog was trying to absorb some of the Earth's energy. I don't think it was working

We got back to camp a little late, but in plenty of time for the chili and pie. Mmmmmm . . . pie.

We were tired and sore, but I somehow managed to get myself down to the lodge to play a little more guitar and drink a beer or two

Sunday morning was a lazy one. Packed up, said my goodbyes, geared up, and hit the road. I went back down Warloop and somebody had pulled out the truck that was there on Friday and even cleaned out the tree that was down, so if anybody is wondering . . . Warloop is (basically) clean again.

This was at the West end of Warloop.

I hit Devil's Den again on the way home as well as a few more good twisties . . . just not nearly as many as I did on my way in just a few days earlier.

Made it home.

Even found a handful of local laborers to take care of the dirty work for me.

All clean and purdy . . . ready to take me to work in the morning

Once again, I can't say enough to Doc and crew for putting this shin-dig together for us.

See ya next year.
Krabill is online now   Reply With Quote