ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2008, 10:30 AM   #61
dualist
Adventurer
 
dualist's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Yucaipa Ca. (strange but true)
Oddometer: 50
I need more
__________________
__________________________________________
Saving money is for people who make more than they can possibly spend

ATK 605dse
71 vw baja bus (hydration transportation) the beer cart !
dualist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 06:19 PM   #62
2uprtw OP
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Oddometer: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by BriKielyGSman
Hey guys. Conchita and I did this ride last Sept -two up. We loved it!!! And we are enjoying your ride as well. One day we plan an extended world trip like yours (once we have the courage)....hopefully.....thanx for spending the time to make the report.....
I just checked out your site. Well done!!! From what I saw I don't think you need any more courage, just more time off!!
2uprtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 06:26 PM   #63
2uprtw OP
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Oddometer: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by bike4ever
Please keep these reports coming. The more reports like yours and Cavebiker's I can run past Mrs. Bike4ever, better chance I will be able to follow some day.

Beautiful photo's too!
You can tell Mrs. Bike4ever this; it is alot easier than it may seem! The only difficult (very difficult) part is finding the money and the time. But once you are on the road you just deal with things as they come and things usually work out.
2uprtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 06:32 PM   #64
2uprtw OP
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Oddometer: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by dentedvw
If I understand correctly, they are still riding the 1100, needing new tires, not a new bike. yet.

Great trip, looking forward to reading lots more!
My wife sits beside me and mentions she wants to take a trip someday too.
This is correct. We still have the 1100. I did not word the intro correctly and that's why it sounds like we got rid of the bike. What we got rid of was the cylinder under the bashplate (maybe we should have gotten rid of the bike also, we have spent several weeks waiting for either parts or repairs!!)
2uprtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 07:28 PM   #65
2uprtw OP
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Oddometer: 643
So today we went from Trujillo to Huaraz up in the mountains. All the way down I kept thinking about the stories I've read on the hubb and advrider about crooked cops. We must have crossed about 20 of them on the way down. So far we have been waved thru each time (or ignored). Let's hope things stay that way for the rest of Peru...

The ride down was thru desert most of the way. I tried my best to get some good pics but the best I could come up with was this....



I know, not much to look at. But if you do look closely you can see that on either side is a mountain and between the two is a giant sandune (about 100 feet high right across). Now imagine this type of scenery for about 400 kilometers and it gives you a good idea what today's ride was all about (for the first half anyway). Here's another...



Oh, we did get to try a local specialty (who's name I cannot remember). It is raw fish "cooked" in lemon and onions. Yummm.



There are three roads that lead up to Huaraz from the panamerican. One from Chimbote, one from Casma and one from Pativilca. We were told the first two were not passable so we opted for Pativilca. The road leading up was very scenic although a little potholed for about a 50 kilometer section. At it's highest point our GPS indicated
4114 meters (the highest we've been on the bike so far)



Here's a pic of the view at the top. You end up riding this plateau for about 50 kilometers, despite the quality of the pic the views were amazing.



Once we got to the hotel I checked the news on the internet. It seems that things in Bolivia might heat up a bit in the coming days due to the referendum. The citizens of one of the regions (Santa Cruz) have voted to gain greater autonomy from the central goverment. The central goverment has promised to ignore the results...Can't wait to get there!
2uprtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 06:59 PM   #66
2uprtw OP
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Oddometer: 643
Today we decided to see some sights and headed for Chavin where there are some ruins that are 3000 years old. It was nice to travel light for a change (we kept most of our stuff at the guest house). So as we were getting ready to leave I checked the tire pressure and much to my surprise the rear tire was at 25 psi
We added some air to bring it up to 41 psi and hoped for the best. A few kilometers later we checked again and it was down to 35. We decided to keep going. Here is the stange part, the pressure stayed at 35psi for the rest of the 4 hour ride
Does anybody out there have any ideas as to why it stabalized at 35 psi?

On to the pics of the ride.Them there be snow caped mountains on the horizon......



The view was amazing the whole way there.....



This bridge did not inspire confidence....



The valley we followed for a while...



Which led to this, the highest we've ever been with the bike. It did not like being that high. We usually idle at a little over 1000rpm but as we were stopped for the photo the bike was idling at 750 rpm. We did not dare stop the engine!



And a lake on the way...



This is what the ruins looked like....



With tunnels underneath....



We had a great time despite the sorry state of the road. Now about that tire pressure....
2uprtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 04:16 PM   #67
911racer
dare to explore
 
911racer's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains,CA
Oddometer: 471
Thumb

Great trip report. My girlfriend and I are planning this same trip in about 1 1/2 years. again the only challenge is $$$! Im looking forwards to the rest of your adventure.

your tire pressure is probably from a sticking valve stem. try putting a drop of oil on it before adding air it may help soften the seal inside. also put a good quallity valve cap with a O-ring on it and cross your fingers.

good luck and ride safe.
__________________
You must become ignorant of all you've been tought
And be, instead, bewildered!
Run from what's comfortable and profitable.
Run, run, run!
If you drink those sweet liqueurs you'll spill
The springwater of your real life.
Forget safety
Live where you fear to live.
Be notorious
Destroy your reputation.
You have tried prudent planning for long enough.
From now on, live mad.
-J. Rumi, born 1207, a sifi mystic poet.
911racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 08:16 PM   #68
2uprtw OP
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Oddometer: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911racer
Great trip report. My girlfriend and I are planning this same trip in about 1 1/2 years. again the only challenge is $$$! Im looking forwards to the rest of your adventure.

your tire pressure is probably from a sticking valve stem. try putting a drop of oil on it before adding air it may help soften the seal inside. also put a good quallity valve cap with a O-ring on it and cross your fingers.

good luck and ride safe.
We ended up changing both tires while in Huaraz. Funny thing is both tires are now slowly losing pressure (rather than just the rear tire as was the case before) so I think your advice will come in handy. Will give it a shot tomorrow.

And good luck on the money thing. The sacrifices will be more than worth it once you hit the road!
2uprtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 08:32 PM   #69
2uprtw OP
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Oddometer: 643
Iíve just been bitten in the ass by my lack of experience. A couple of days ago the rear brake seemed unresponsive which didnít make sense since the pads were in good shape when we left Bogota. So today while changing our tires we decided to check the rear brake pads only to find that they were finished, as in there is almost nothing left. And here is why; In Ecuador we mostly stayed on secondary roads which are usually paved but every 500 yards or so you come upon some nasty potholes. This means lots of stop and go. In retrospect Iím quite certain that I was going kind of heavy on the rear brake rather than using both brakes as I should have been doing. Live and learn. Now we have to get to Pisco (4 hours south of Lima, 10 hours from where we are now) with only our front brakes. The alternative is having some brakes shipped to us here but that will take weeks and we arenít willing to wait that long. So tomorrow we go from 4000+ meters to sea level fully loaded with only our front brakes on less than ideal roads. Maybe now Iíll learn to use my front brakes.
2uprtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 05:44 AM   #70
Kyler
Confused Hack Nut
 
Kyler's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: 51st State - Western MD
Oddometer: 2,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2uprtw
Maybe now Iíll learn to use my front brakes.
Yup - 70% of a bike's braking power is in the front brakes.

Pisco you say? Is that where the infamous Pisco Sours were invented?
__________________
Ken => I'm a DAMN Rider (No rules, just ride!)
Happiness is a 3-wheel drift!
Member of the Maryland OHV Alliance
Kyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 09:11 PM   #71
bananaman
transcontimental
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Madison, Wisconsin and/or Panama, Panama
Oddometer: 6,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2uprtw
Iíve just been bitten in the ass by my lack of experience. A couple of days ago the rear brake seemed unresponsive which didnít make sense since the pads were in good shape when we left Bogota. So today while changing our tires we decided to check the rear brake pads only to find that they were finished, as in there is almost nothing left. And here is why; In Ecuador we mostly stayed on secondary roads which are usually paved but every 500 yards or so you come upon some nasty potholes. This means lots of stop and go. In retrospect Iím quite certain that I was going kind of heavy on the rear brake rather than using both brakes as I should have been doing. Live and learn. Now we have to get to Pisco (4 hours south of Lima, 10 hours from where we are now) with only our front brakes. The alternative is having some brakes shipped to us here but that will take weeks and we arenít willing to wait that long. So tomorrow we go from 4000+ meters to sea level fully loaded with only our front brakes on less than ideal roads. Maybe now Iíll learn to use my front brakes.
I should have warned you about the brakes. Sorry.

I noticed, starting in Mexico, that I was being heavy on the rear brake every time I didn't notice a hole or tope. I think I was hoping to not let the nose dive, and thus make a smaller dent in the front rim.

I read a ride report not long ago of a two-up bike in Peru with the exact same problem as yours. They had to ride with only front brakes all the way to Lima.

You can always down-shift more.

Please be careful. I'm living vicariously through your report.
bananaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 06:36 PM   #72
2uprtw OP
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Oddometer: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by FWIW
Yup - 70% of a bike's braking power is in the front brakes.

Pisco you say? Is that where the infamous Pisco Sours were invented?
Well, today it was more like 100%. I am really missing that rear brake!

And yes, I do believe the Pisco Sour was invented here. Marie and I just had our first one today and we have both vowed to have many more before we leave here. We arrived in Pisco (or rather Playa el Chaco, just nearby) a couple of hours ago and the first thing we did was try the sour. Nice!
2uprtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 06:46 PM   #73
2uprtw OP
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Oddometer: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaman
I should have warned you about the brakes. Sorry.

I noticed, starting in Mexico, that I was being heavy on the rear brake every time I didn't notice a hole or tope. I think I was hoping to not let the nose dive, and thus make a smaller dent in the front rim.

I read a ride report not long ago of a two-up bike in Peru with the exact same problem as yours. They had to ride with only front brakes all the way to Lima.

You can always down-shift more.

Please be careful. I'm living vicariously through your report.
Hi Max,

I think I just got too used to the nice roads in Colombia and wasnīt paying attention to how I was breaking in Ecuador (stop and go, stop and go, etc.). When we saw you in Bogota my brakes were fine so I really must have gone heavy on the rear brake. Weīll have some new pads shipped down to Arequipa (our next stop) from the US in a couple of weeks along with another spare clutch cable.

Brian
2uprtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 08:25 AM   #74
Kyler
Confused Hack Nut
 
Kyler's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: 51st State - Western MD
Oddometer: 2,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2uprtw
And yes, I do believe the Pisco Sour was invented here. Marie and I just had our first one today and we have both vowed to have many more before we leave here. We arrived in Pisco (or rather Playa el Chaco, just nearby) a couple of hours ago and the first thing we did was try the sour. Nice!
Years ago, I rode a train from Santiago to a small town in southern Chile. That train used to rock badly but after a night's worth of Pisco Sours, it miraculously smoothed. Amazing how they made that happen

Damn but I miss both Chile and the Sours.
__________________
Ken => I'm a DAMN Rider (No rules, just ride!)
Happiness is a 3-wheel drift!
Member of the Maryland OHV Alliance
Kyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 09:25 AM   #75
mr moto
Studly Adventurer
 
mr moto's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Praha Czech Republic
Oddometer: 592
what a great trip to be doing ! good luck
any chance you could make your great pics appear a little bigger ? it would be nice to see them better as there is a lot of empty grey space around them .
mr moto is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014