Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2010, 05:34 AM   #976
yellowknife
Is In Canada

Oddometer: 681
And ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2uprtw
Yeah, she is OK. She was sitting by the pool at our hotel when the wind picked up and launched a lawn chair right into the air. It apparently flew about 20 feet and struck her in the back of the head. Caused a bit of a commotion and the pool was immediately closed by the hotel. This was witnessed by the lifeguards (3 of them!) who immediately rushed to her aid.
Being the trooper she is, we all went out and partied that night with our friends Ken and Claudine.
How many lawyers rushed over with their business cards ?

YK
Old 05-20-2010, 06:29 AM   #977
2uprtw OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowknife
How many lawyers rushed over with their business cards ?

YK
Well, we filled out an incident report with the head of security and you could sense he was trying to determine if we wanted to sue based on his comments. Given the number of ads lining the strip asking "have you been injured?" I was not surprised.
But lawyers and lawsuits are two things Canadians like to avoid. Shit happens and generally speaking we tend to deal with it in other ways when it does.

www.2uprtw.com
2uprtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 09:08 AM   #978
BKawa
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Ambulance chasing...

has become an all too common practice in the US these days.

We would all be better off if more people took your approach when something that is purely accidental happens. A few less lawyers and law suits would make this a lot better place to live.

Just my two cents.

BTW, when do you have to be back for your interview? Heres wishing you the best.

Brian

BKawa screwed with this post 05-21-2010 at 07:13 AM
BKawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 11:49 AM   #979
rattis
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 876
ad nauseam, problably

wowowowowowow
sitting in my sofa i followed your travels and enjoyed it immensely
nice writing brass balls(brass tits?) the high passes in india and the good reports on Iran
all the very best and many happy miles in the future
rattis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 02:29 PM   #980
2uprtw OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKawa
has become an all too common practice in the US these days.

We would all be better off if more people took your approach when something that is purely accidental happens. A few less lawyers and law suits would make this a lot better place to live.

Just my two cents.

BTW, when do you have to be back for your interview? Heres wishing you the best.

Brian
The interview is gonna be on the 27th of this month (in a few days). Once that is done, we are off to tour the maritimes and see the folks .

www.2uprtw.com
Old 05-21-2010, 02:45 PM   #981
2uprtw OP
Studly Adventurer

That whole interview thing threw everything a bit out of whack timing wise. Our slow exploration of the US turned into a series of marathon rides starting with our exit of Nevada and into California. We had wanted to visit a few more national parks but decided to make some miles to get back to Montreal on time (we are currently in Niagara Falls on the US side).

Our first real stop out of Nevada was in Benicia near San Francisco. We had exchanged e-mails with Richard and Jacqueline who invited us to stay with them. They are avid riders themselves, having covered huge (and I mean HUGE) amounts of the country (and up into the far north) on their bikes...

We had a great time, most of it spent in the garage with beer in hand...

But all too soon we had to go once again and continue heading towards Vancouver for the start of our cross Canada tour. There are many countries we know more than our own and we thought it was time to change that.

On our way up to Canada we rode a bit of the Pacific Coast Highway...

And saw a side of California we did not know existed...

Ummm, just like Argentina...

Our last 2 days in the country were a hostile mix of wind, cold weather and rain. But we did see some rather large trees during a rare moment of calm...

www.2uprtw.com
Old 05-21-2010, 03:26 PM   #982
achesley
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,341
Thanks for all the work of sharing your journey. Glad U liked California. I absolutely love roaming the back roads out there. But didto for the rest of the country also. ;-)

A '00 KLR 650 37,000 miles, A '07 1250S 75,000 actual, A '03 5.3L Chevy Truck 73,000 + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 09:53 PM   #983
tsiklonaut
the (in)famous boxer perv

Oddometer: 1,068
Not a word for a long time...

Howzit guys? Already home?

Be safe, Margus & Kariina
tsiklonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 04:56 PM   #984
gnuse
Ride to Fly

Oddometer: 271
Pretty cool that you got to meet Richard and Jacqueline. I am sure there were some great stories told on both sides. The four of you have been on some epic rides!
Old 06-11-2010, 10:58 AM   #985
2uprtw OP
Studly Adventurer

Yet another long stretch between updates...

What can I say, it has been a hectic month since we were in California . We ended up going to Vancouver and spending time with my brother before doing a mad dash across the country and stopping for a couple of days in Toronto. Took us 7 days to get there (about 620 kilometers per day). We were rushing it because we wanted to get ourselves to Pennsylvania before my interview (oh yeah...got the job and am starting on the 21st of June ).
Why Pennsylvania? Because that is the home of one of the best sidecar guys in the business, Claude Stanley. We had been corresponding with him for a few weeks about having a sidecar built for our bike. So we arranged to meet him at his shop and spent a couple of days talking about design. Our plan is to ride the thing across Africa and up into Europe (stopping in Estonia of course!) then across Russia and beyond. But this will only be in a few years (5 to 10).

So I guess we will have to wrap up this ride report soon (still a few pics to share). Right now we are preparing a presentation which we plan on giving in 2 days here in my hometown of New-Richmond in Quebec. Stress!!!

www.2uprtw.com
Old 06-12-2010, 10:49 PM   #986
davidbrundage
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
you may have mentioned this in an earlier post, but what sort of job are you going home to?!

thanks for taking us along on this ride! seriously one of the most epic adventures of all time!

Quote:
Yet another long stretch between updates...

What can I say, it has been a hectic month since we were in California . We ended up going to Vancouver and spending time with my brother before doing a mad dash across the country and stopping for a couple of days in Toronto. Took us 7 days to get there (about 620 kilometers per day). We were rushing it because we wanted to get ourselves to Pennsylvania before my interview (oh yeah...got the job and am starting on the 21st of June ).
Why Pennsylvania? Because that is the home of one of the best sidecar guys in the business, Claude Stanley. We had been corresponding with him for a few weeks about having a sidecar built for our bike. So we arranged to meet him at his shop and spent a couple of days talking about design. Our plan is to ride the thing across Africa and up into Europe (stopping in Estonia of course!) then across Russia and beyond. But this will only be in a few years (5 to 10).

So I guess we will have to wrap up this ride report soon (still a few pics to share). Right now we are preparing a presentation which we plan on giving in 2 days here in my hometown of New-Richmond in Quebec. Stress!!!
davidbrundage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 12:29 PM   #987
2uprtw OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbrundage
you may have mentioned this in an earlier post, but what sort of job are you going home to?!

thanks for taking us along on this ride! seriously one of the most epic adventures of all time!
Spent about 15 years working as a manager for various retail outfits so I figured I should stick to what I know and took a job with a company I had previously worked for. Given the economic troubles we are all about to face I was very happy to land that job (pay is alright).

www.2uprtw.com
Old 06-15-2010, 09:30 AM   #988
davidbrundage
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
nice! hopefully it pays well enough to get that side car built ;) thanks again for taking us all along. this was a very, very inspiring adventure. i wish both of you the best.

Quote:
Spent about 15 years working as a manager for various retail outfits so I figured I should stick to what I know and took a job with a company I had previously worked for. Given the economic troubles we are all about to face I was very happy to land that job (pay is alright).
davidbrundage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 03:27 PM   #989
Freedom Rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Licence plates

I've been following your trip for some time now and am about to leave on a trip
from Canmore Alberta to south america and back for a year riding with
my wife and son all riding DR 650's .

I have a question for you regarding licence plates it seems you can not buy
more than a year at a time like you can with cars how did you deal with
this issue.
All three of our plates will expire while we are on the road and the office told us to have a friend renew and currier it to us which we know its not as easy as it sounds.

Any help would be appreciated
Freedom Rider
Michael
Freedom Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 05:51 PM   #990
2uprtw OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom Rider
I've been following your trip for some time now and am about to leave on a trip
from Canmore Alberta to south america and back for a year riding with
my wife and son all riding DR 650's .

I have a question for you regarding licence plates it seems you can not buy
more than a year at a time like you can with cars how did you deal with
this issue.
All three of our plates will expire while we are on the road and the office told us to have a friend renew and currier it to us which we know its not as easy as it sounds.

Any help would be appreciated
Freedom Rider
Michael
That is a tough one to answer. It all depends on how your registration papers look. For example, here in Quebec we have a small paper that has 2 sections. The front has our bike details (VIN number, name, model, etc,) and back paper (detachable) has the expiry date along with signature. What we did was simply take off the detachable part (with expiry date) and toss it. This worked fine for all 37 countries we visited except for 1, Mexico. They have seen so many tourists that the border official took one look and said "you are missing part of your registration". Ouch!
But we finally talked our way out of this problem.

Basically, make sure you are paid up so that legally you are OK in case of accidents. As for the papers, you can always try and falsify them as many people on long term trips will do. It is risky but sometimes the only option. Of course, all this assumes that the actual plate does not have any stickers indicating the date for which it is valid.
Does any of this info help?

www.2uprtw.com