Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2014, 09:12 AM   #16
Wraith Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,111
I wouldn't trust cagers (or even other riders) as well when it comes to remove the helmet.
Interestingly, in a German forum you get flamed hard if you say that.
Old 04-23-2014, 09:27 AM   #17
zulusafari
E African ADVRDR

Oddometer: 285
Is anyone doing this where you can print your own phone number instead of a code?

https://icedot.org/en/products/15-Pr...r-Sticker-Pack

Old 04-23-2014, 12:56 PM   #18
atomicalex
silly aluminum boxes

Oddometer: 2,050
There is this really cool device called a P-Touch from Brother. You can use it to make your own labels! That say whatever you want them to!

Mine have "Do NOT remove helmet", my name, blood type, and insurance numbers. The phone number is a great idea, too.
Old 04-23-2014, 01:29 PM   #19
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Oddometer: 3,605
As a paramedic of 15 years this whole thread is, although well-intentioned, quite ridiculous.

#1. Add the odds of you being unconscious inside of a full face helmet yet still a viable patient plus the odds that some inept do-gooder is going to stop and read the stickers on your helmet if he is in a high-stress situation like an unconscious rider down and you get about a 1 trillion to 1 shot. Save your money from the stickers and buy a lotto ticket. EDIT: O yeah, add to all of those odds that it was the pulling off of the helmet that caused your neck injury not the crash itself. Like I said. Buy a lotto ticket.

#2. Paramedics work under protocols, and I cannot imagine a medical control board/authority that does not have a standing protocol regarding helmets. We follow the protocol. Not the sticker on your helmet.

EDIT and P.S.: I guess I should provide some practical advice instead of just being a dick.

The ICE thing in your phone and/or wallet works. We look for that.

Putting that info on or in your helmet might or might not work. It's not a normal place for people to put that kind of info so it could easily get overlooked.

2013 V-Strom

Thanantos screwed with this post 04-23-2014 at 02:37 PM
Thanantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 01:49 PM   #20
Vulfy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanantos View Post

The ICE thing in your phone and/or wallet works. We look for that.

Putting that info on or in your helmet might or might not work. It's not a normal place for people to put that kind of info so it could easily get overlooked.
I know there are red coloured pouches/pockets that you can attach to your shoulder, with your information in them. Do paramedics look for that? I think aerostitch sells one.
Old 04-23-2014, 01:53 PM   #21
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulfy View Post
I know there are red coloured pouches/pockets that you can attach to your shoulder, with your information in them. Do paramedics look for that? I think aerostitch sells one.

Sorry to say, probably not. It's just not a "normal" place to put that type of thing, and I know I have never been trained to look there.

Not to say it absolutely WOULDN'T be found but when it comes to trauma time is the biggest factor. When I worked on an ambulance our standard was a 10 minute on scene time for high priority trauma patients AND that jacket (if the Paramedics are worth their salt) is going to get cut off of you and more than likely left at the scene.

ANOTHER EDIT AND P.S.:

EMS Personnel will look for:
#1. Your wallet because we need to know who you are.
#2. Medical alert bracelets and necklaces because we are trained to.
#3. ICE info in your phone because it's just become so common.

Anything other than that is a toss up. It might be found but might not.

2013 V-Strom

Thanantos screwed with this post 04-23-2014 at 02:05 PM
Old 04-23-2014, 07:07 PM   #22
cb200t
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
Thanks for the heads up. Do you guys look for those RoadID bracelets? Or should I just stick a card in my wallet?
Old 04-23-2014, 07:13 PM   #23
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb200t View Post
Thanks for the heads up. Do you guys look for those RoadID bracelets? Or should I just stick a card in my wallet?

First time I've ever heard of it, and I am also a cyclist (I googled it based on your post).

The lesson here is: When these idiots sell these products they are under no obligation to advise anyone that should know that they exist. Check out the vendors before you just throw money at your safety.

You might want to call your local EMS provider/Fire Department/Police Department to see what they recommend instead of just falling for an online sales pitch.

P.S. We don't need to stick a card in your wallet. If you're alive to find it we've already done our job.

2013 V-Strom
Old 04-23-2014, 07:35 PM   #24
resqdoc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Nay, Nay

I am an ER physician, Medical Director for EMS and an experienced combat surgeon. I have years of experience both in the field with pre-hospital medicine as a First Responder and inside trauma facilities as a First Receiver. First off:

-Fakename Emergency Physicians certainly are trained and qualified to remove a helmet.
-evilmedic13 All your carrying on and thrashing around didn't protect your neck from the doctor that you think didn't know how to remove your helmet, it endangered it. Thrashing around and acting combative are indicators of a head injury. You were confusing the issue, you should know better than that. If, in fact, you did pass out again; you likely had bigger issues than how your helmet was being removed. I'm not saying every "doc" knows how to handle this situation, there are certainly going to be bad eggs in any situation. I'm sure you've seen the same thing with medics, police, shoe salesmen and wait staff.

There is more than one proper technique to remove a helmet and not all of them require multiple rescuers on the side of a road. (In fact my preferred technique is to split the helmet with a cast saw).

With regard to putting a sticker on your helmet with information like Blood Type, etc. That is a waste of nylon and adhesive. There is no chance, 0%, of me or any other physician that is worth a damn transfusing you based off the information found on a sticker on your helmet. We run into this with Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen and Marines that write their blood type on their boots. I can test your blood type in seconds.

The information presented by Thanantos in several replies is spot on.

resqdoc screwed with this post 04-23-2014 at 07:57 PM Reason: SpElliNg
resqdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 07:37 PM   #25
vmcrcr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 286
When I was in the fire/EMS world, PD handled wallets for ID, we did not touch them other than to hand them over.
vmcrcr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 07:38 PM   #26
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmcrcr View Post
When I was in the fire/EMS world, PD handled wallets for ID, we did not touch them other than to hand them over.

New world friend.

#1. Paramedics are trusted professionals now.

#2. Some cops ARE paramedics now

Sent from my 20238 using Tapatalk

2013 V-Strom
Old 04-23-2014, 07:39 PM   #27
vmcrcr
Gnarly Adventurer

Ok. Point taken. Carry on sir.
Old 04-23-2014, 07:40 PM   #28
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Quote:
Ok. Point taken. Carry on sir.

No worries. No offense taken and hopefully none given.

Thanks for your service.

2013 V-Strom
Old 04-23-2014, 07:46 PM   #29
vmcrcr
Gnarly Adventurer

Nope, no offense here fellow inmate, maybe one from two asylums, this one, and the EMS one. And it's hard to tell which bunch is crazier....
Old 04-23-2014, 07:49 PM   #30
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Quote:
Nope, no offense here fellow inmate, maybe one from two asylums, this one, and the EMS one. And it's hard to tell which bunch is crazier....

Amen.

2013 V-Strom