Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2014, 09:47 PM   #31
zulusafari
E African ADVRDR

Oddometer: 277
As much as the information you all are sharing is likely helpful for many people here, it's completely irrelevant to my situation.

It's very likely that if I am in an accident, the first 100 people to get to me are the uneducated street folks or a rural person running up to me. They are doing one of two things, either trying to help, with the best of intentions (however much that 'help' may actually be hurting me) or they are stealing everything off of me as I lie there injured or dead.

So, with that in mind, I'd like a bright yellow sticker that has a very short and icon heavy indicator not to remove my helmet. Yeah, there's a chance no one will pay any attention, but I plan to put it in a very visible location and any chance someone will see it, it a few dollars I'm willing to spend, even if it makes my helmet look ugly.

I really wish someone sold a kit like ICE does, but that you could put your own information on it instead of their proprietary codes and US phone number, that one on is going to call here.

Now thinking I should carry multiple emergency ID cards, in my wallet and on the outside of my reflector vest (like the military ones, required everywhere here) in case my wallet is stolen.

So 3 items I want: ID card, bracelet & helmet stickers.

That's got to be a simple business that would have a huge market.
Old 04-24-2014, 03:53 AM   #32
filmfan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 467
Some questions for the rescue professionals;

Do you look on a cell phone for an ICE number/information, or just wallet/id/bracelet?

What ICE info do you need?

I guess this could imply that carrying the phone in a pocket is preferable to someplace on the bike like a tank bag?

If the phone is a resource for you, I guess it should not have a security code enabled…
filmfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 04:45 AM   #33
NovaTrophy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
I have one of these id stickers on my helmet. Can't hurt!

http://www.mec.ca/product/5017-865/v...?q=helmet%2Bid
Old 04-24-2014, 06:14 AM   #34
atomicalex
silly aluminum boxes

Oddometer: 1,897
resqdoc - points well made and taken.

I've been racing cars for quite a while. We are tended to by EMS at the track, who are trained to deal with our special kinds of issues like cutting open Nomex suits and removing helmets. I don't worry about them one bit. I do worry about the triage staff at the hospital. Because the helmet is almost always delivered with the injured person, it's not a bad place to have info. We run name and blood type out of habit, it's ingrained from the days when instant blood typing was not the norm.

The learning on my end was from a local Corvette club, who had enough experience with this to start getting feedback from the local hospital. The hospital staff noted that the one guy who came in with his name and insurance numbers on his helmet (which was delivered on his head as it needed to be cut off by the neurosurgeon) made it into OR a lot faster because they did not need go digging to get him registered.

Additionally, in Germany, if you have private insurance, you are going into the nice wing, with the happy nurses and the fancy docs, instead of the wing with the unwashed masses. You can bet your ass I had a big sticker that said "PRIVAT VERSICHERT!" on my helmet!

To zulusafari - if you are in an office environment, you have access to a laminator. Print out what you want for information and laminate it. Presto - cards. One in/on your vest, one in wallet, one in tank bag. Easy-peasy.

Some of you are making this harder than it really is.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:19 AM   #35
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Oddometer: 3,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by FakeName
I'd be concerned about a fellow cyclist or cager.
This is what concerns me. Someone that's THINKS they're doing the right thing and they end up causing more damage (or worse).

From my SCCA days, I have my name, date of birth, blood type and allergies (or not) on a sticker on the back of my helmet. I will loan certain things. My helmet is not one of them.

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 08:36 AM   #36
Sethro303
Master of Disaster

Oddometer: 220
Medical info cards

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmfan View Post
Some questions for the rescue professionals;

Do you look on a cell phone for an ICE number/information, or just wallet/id/bracelet?

What ICE info do you need?

I guess this could imply that carrying the phone in a pocket is preferable to someplace on the bike like a tank bag?

If the phone is a resource for you, I guess it should not have a security code enabled…
Just to summarize what some of my EMS brethren have stated - it doesn't matter what you put on your helmet, we will operate under the protocols which we are allowed. These protocols differ depending on where you decide that you "had to lay 'er down".

A wallet card with contact info/medical conditions/medications/allergies is all that is needed in most cases. Think about it this way: I don't know you and you don't know me. If you are unconscious the only way we can find out this information is by using what we have on your person. These cards should Tell me everything we need to know about you and your medical history and who you want us to call if you are injured and unable to do so yourself.

Having multiple cards in various locations increases the chances that they are found. Good locations can include wallet, jacket pocket, tank bag, helmet, clipped to your registration (cops ALWAYS look for that) etc. A label on the helmet that says "Emergency Info Located in/on.........." is never a bad idea. A small personal info card should not replace medical alert jewelery.

I would steer clear of any QR type labels, "text for info codes" or any other less than obvious stickers........what if we don't have a phone or reception?

http://www.urbandictionary.com/
Sethro303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 09:20 AM   #37
sarhog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethro303 View Post
clipped to your registration (cops ALWAYS look for that) etc.
Not true around here. I NEVER look for a registration, I just run the tag on my in car computer. It's quicker and now I have an electronic record that I can cut/paste to other documents.
Old 04-24-2014, 11:00 AM   #38
Sethro303
Master of Disaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarhog View Post
Not true around here. I NEVER look for a registration, I just run the tag on my in car computer. It's quicker and now I have an electronic record that I can cut/paste to other documents.
Fair enough. I should have said cops in my area.

What about to insurance card? Is that an item that you need and generally look for?

Old 04-24-2014, 01:24 PM   #39
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Oddometer: 3,538
Quote:
Fair enough. I should have said cops in my area.

What about to insurance card? Is that an item that you need and generally look for?
Lol, that's the problem. I AM a cop in my area, and even I have no idea whether other cops look for registration papers. I'm with sarhog and I don't, but who knows...maybe other guys do. As far as insurance papers go, I look for them because we don't have that info available in the computer in MI, but in another state where they do they probably won't go looking for it.

That's all completely aside from the fact that you need the info to get to EMS not the police (me being a Paramedic/Police Officer is a strange deal you won't see in many other places).

That's also aside from the fact that depending on where you live a 30 mile ride might put you through 6 different jurisdictions and EMS systems.

You need a system that is widely enough known that it will work everywhere.

2013 V-Strom
Thanantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 01:30 PM   #40
cccolin
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 552
why? are you like the chick in that old horror story and your head falls off if someone undoes your helmet strap?
cccolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 04:42 PM   #41
Sethro303
Master of Disaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanantos View Post
You need a system that is widely enough known that it will work everywhere.
I agree, but it will never happen.

I think the OP should print a card out and throw it in the wallet, and buy a few brews with the money saved.

Public Safety Officer?

Old 04-24-2014, 04:46 PM   #42
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Quote:
I agree, but it will never happen.

I think the OP should print a card out and throw it in the wallet, and buy a few brews with the money saved.

Public Safety Officer?
Kinda, we have a few townships that contract for Paramedic level first response. My cruiser is a Tahoe with all my medical gear. We don't do fire though.

I couldn't agree more about the beer. That's what I did.

2013 V-Strom
Old 04-24-2014, 05:20 PM   #43
Sethro303
Master of Disaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanantos View Post
Kinda, we have a few townships that contract for Paramedic level first response. My cruiser is a Tahoe with all my medical gear. We don't do fire though.
Interesting arrangement. Too bad you don't get to play with fire though, that's the best part!

Old 04-24-2014, 05:25 PM   #44
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Quote:
Interesting arrangement. Too bad you don't get to play with fire though, that's the best part!
Works out well for the firefighters. They don't like taking old lady medicals and still get to come out for the big crashes.

I did fire years ago, but left it for EMS. Thanks for your service in the Fire arena.

2013 V-Strom
Old 04-24-2014, 06:05 PM   #45
tlempke
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
The Shoei rf1200 has emergency release cheek pads that pull out from the bottom so the helmet can be removed more "safely". Haven't had to use it yet on my helmet, I wonder how effective it is. Those stickers do seem like a wise idea.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
tlempke is offline   Reply With Quote