ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2010, 04:39 PM   #1561
dirtsurfer
Challenged Adventurer
 
dirtsurfer's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: between the bings
Oddometer: 1,627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colebatch
Makes me think it might be the ole "sprag clutch swarf, fouling the pick up coil on the X-Challenge" trick.

The same problem that shagged me for 10 days in Kazakhstan last year, and shagged LucasMT and his BMW dealer for 3 weeks in Poland last year. Even a dealer can spend ages trying to find this one, The diagnostics for the X-Challenge are pretty basic to say the least and they wont give any clues as to what this problem is.

Lay the bike onto its left side, open the generator cover, swipe your finger over the pick up coil and its terminals .... if you have superfine silver metal powder on your oily finger, then there is your problem.

If thats the problem, you probably should replace the sprag clutch, your oil and filter. And get the pick up coil super clean.

If its not your problem, it will have cost you 20 minutes and probably a $4 generator cover gasket.
Thank you so much for this Cole. I will give it a go tonight

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmotten
Thanks also tmotten for this resource

I am feeling more energized now
__________________
Tappet cover grinder
Avoid the Gavel, travel by gravel
dirtsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 05:52 PM   #1562
Colebatch
"Moto Porn"ographer
 
Colebatch's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Schmocation
Oddometer: 3,960
If its the sprag clutch ...

as a quick fix, you can just clean the pick up coil, change the oil and filter, but it will be only a matter of time before it happens again.

There are two bits to change on the sprag clutch ...

12117652871 FREE WHEEL HOUSING
12117687777 FREE WHEEL

And they aint particulalrly cheap

Why this happens on X-challenges but not on the F650 GSs I dont know
__________________
*** New Sibirsky Extreme Trail DVD Trailer HERE ***
Moroccan Extreme 2011 DVD available HERE
World Motorcycle Altitude Record video HERE
Sibirsky Extreme - The Home of Adventure Motorcycling in Siberia and Mongolia - On Facebook
Colebatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 06:48 PM   #1563
AZ-Twin
Dusty and Thirsty
 
AZ-Twin's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Sierra Vista, AZ
Oddometer: 1,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffy
What shock did you get and how's it working for you?
I went with the ohlins and I like it. I have not got it completely dialed in yet but I messed with it some on my trip to CO this summer, and a few clicks here and there make a big difference, so I just need to take the time on a bumpy road to play with the settings and get it figured out. My worry was a failure on a trip that would render the rear suspension useless. At least with a standard shock/spring configuration a shock failure does not render the bike not ridable.

I did like the feel of the air shock when I had it on the bike, but the ohlins is better. There are a few other options, I just went with ohlins.

I did have to modify the reservoir bracket as I have the H&B bag mounts but that was relatively easy if you have drilling, cutting, and grinding equipment. If you don't have the H&B bag mounts there is no issue.
__________________
Rob Swartzwelder, Southern AZ
I'm not real fast, but I do have a dog named Dakar!
97 M900, 07 G650 XChallenge,11 KTM 990 ADV R
2011 North up the CDR
Sierra Vista AZ to Paonia CO and Back through Moab UT

AZ-Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 07:19 PM   #1564
Muddler
Studly Adventurer
 
Muddler's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Dardanup, Western Australia
Oddometer: 708
I would prefer the ohlins too. Meanwhile, I have had to deal with the airbag. I noticed the rubbing had got worse on a recent trip (a long way from home...). I wrapped the airbag with a few rounds of duct tape. This doesnt interfere with its action, and provides a good sacrificial layer. After another 3K kms, I notice the tape is showing no wear. Quick and easy peace of mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-Twin
I went with the ohlins and I like it. I have not got it completely dialed in yet but I messed with it some on my trip to CO this summer, and a few clicks here and there make a big difference, so I just need to take the time on a bumpy road to play with the settings and get it figured out. My worry was a failure on a trip that would render the rear suspension useless. At least with a standard shock/spring configuration a shock failure does not render the bike not ridable.

I did like the feel of the air shock when I had it on the bike, but the ohlins is better. There are a few other options, I just went with ohlins.

I did have to modify the reservoir bracket as I have the H&B bag mounts but that was relatively easy if you have drilling, cutting, and grinding equipment. If you don't have the H&B bag mounts there is no issue.
Muddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 08:03 PM   #1565
sellmeyer
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Aspen, Colorado USA
Oddometer: 410
p/n for chain guide

has anyone got the KTM part number which is molded onto the plastic part of the TT rear chain guide? I ordered one off the 640A thinking it was a guide; I got only a half guide so its only offering protection against a foot getting caught in the sprocket.

I need a full guide.

thanks
sellmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 10:48 PM   #1566
The Jester
Studly Adventurer
 
The Jester's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Cornwall, UK
Oddometer: 770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colebatch
Makes me think it might be the ole "sprag clutch swarf, fouling the pick up coil on the X-Challenge" trick.

The same problem that shagged me for 10 days in Kazakhstan last year, and shagged LucasMT and his BMW dealer for 3 weeks in Poland last year.
Walter, Lucas,
Were you guys using the standard drain plug or the Touratech one? I was using the Touratech one because the stock one stood proud of the bashplate, but have swapped back now that I have Stephan's bash plate. I wonder if your problem was due to the lack of magnet in the touratech plug?

Fortunately I have had no problems with swarf fouling the pickup yet (21k miles).
__________________
Life is not a rehearsal!


The Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 11:02 PM   #1567
dirtsurfer
Challenged Adventurer
 
dirtsurfer's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: between the bings
Oddometer: 1,627
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jester
Walter, Lucas,
Were you guys using the standard drain plug or the Touratech one? I was using the Touratech one because the stock one stood proud of the bashplate, but have swapped back now that I have Stephan's bash plate. I wonder if your problem was due to the lack of magnet in the touratech plug?

Fortunately I have had no problems with swarf fouling the pickup yet (21k miles).
Hmmm



I cant wait to get home and rip the cover off !
__________________
Tappet cover grinder
Avoid the Gavel, travel by gravel
dirtsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 01:01 AM   #1568
MTBiker78
ENDURO Wanabee
 
MTBiker78's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Poland
Oddometer: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jester
Walter, Lucas,
Were you guys using the standard drain plug or the Touratech one? I was using the Touratech one because the stock one stood proud of the bashplate, but have swapped back now that I have Stephan's bash plate. I wonder if your problem was due to the lack of magnet in the touratech plug?

Fortunately I have had no problems with swarf fouling the pickup yet (21k miles).

I'm using standard - as Touratech one has no magnet on it. So I would not suspect that as a cause.

My drain plug normally looks like one shown above.

My BMW F....ing dealer was repairing that issue for 6 weeks ! they even replaced a BMS-C in meantime (no comments).

I think that real time sensor values should be displayed on diagnostic computer so for dealer finding that problem should take 30 minutes.
__________________
Regards
Lucas

----------------
I have a new challange ..... X-Challenge ....

www.vimeo.com/mtbiker
http://picasaweb.google.com/lukasz.lechowicz/XChallenge
MTBiker78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 01:08 AM   #1569
Matt
Dirt Virgin
 
Matt's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Newtown,Sydney
Oddometer: 1,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by sellmeyer
has anyone got the KTM part number which is molded onto the plastic part of the TT rear chain guide? I ordered one off the 640A thinking it was a guide; I got only a half guide so its only offering protection against a foot getting caught in the sprocket.

I need a full guide.

thanks

It's:

546.07.066.100

Photo to follow.
__________________
"A girl riding a motorcycle?...................What is this, the Twilight Zone??"




Why do people think bike riders all like rock'n'roll??
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 01:13 AM   #1570
Matt
Dirt Virgin
 
Matt's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Newtown,Sydney
Oddometer: 1,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddler
I would prefer the ohlins too. Meanwhile, I have had to deal with the airbag. I noticed the rubbing had got worse on a recent trip (a long way from home...). I wrapped the airbag with a few rounds of duct tape. This doesnt interfere with its action, and provides a good sacrificial layer. After another 3K kms, I notice the tape is showing no wear. Quick and easy peace of mind.

Rob,

don't forget to get your rear splashguard replaced - it's a recall item.

I think my dealer has tried to "pull a swifty" the "new" guard looks suspiciously like the original one.

Does anyone know where the photo of the original and the replacement splashguard is?
__________________
"A girl riding a motorcycle?...................What is this, the Twilight Zone??"




Why do people think bike riders all like rock'n'roll??
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 01:16 AM   #1571
Matt
Dirt Virgin
 
Matt's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Newtown,Sydney
Oddometer: 1,833
I hang my head in shame........I snapped an axle pinch bolt.

Now that I will be using a torque wrench for my nuts....... .......is there any reason why I can't use stainless from my fastener supplier??
__________________
"A girl riding a motorcycle?...................What is this, the Twilight Zone??"




Why do people think bike riders all like rock'n'roll??
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 02:15 AM   #1572
dirtsurfer
Challenged Adventurer
 
dirtsurfer's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: between the bings
Oddometer: 1,627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colebatch
Makes me think it might be the ole "sprag clutch swarf, fouling the pick up coil on the X-Challenge" trick.

The same problem that shagged me for 10 days in Kazakhstan last year, and shagged LucasMT and his BMW dealer for 3 weeks in Poland last year. Even a dealer can spend ages trying to find this one, The diagnostics for the X-Challenge are pretty basic to say the least and they wont give any clues as to what this problem is.

Lay the bike onto its left side, open the generator cover, swipe your finger over the pick up coil and its terminals .... if you have superfine silver metal powder on your oily finger, then there is your problem.

If thats the problem, you probably should replace the sprag clutch, your oil and filter. And get the pick up coil super clean.

If its not your problem, it will have cost you 20 minutes and probably a $4 generator cover gasket.
I hope that the pick up coil that you refer to is this thing



I have used a toothpick to indicate a deposit of fine metal fragments. I am hoping that there was enough there to be the cause of my problem. I unfastened it from its housing and washed it. I will try and get a gasket and oil filter tomorrow - reassemble and test
__________________
Tappet cover grinder
Avoid the Gavel, travel by gravel
dirtsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 02:20 AM   #1573
MTBiker78
ENDURO Wanabee
 
MTBiker78's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Poland
Oddometer: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtsurfer
I hope that the pick up coil that you refer to is this thing
Yeap thats the sensor that Cole was talking about
__________________
Regards
Lucas

----------------
I have a new challange ..... X-Challenge ....

www.vimeo.com/mtbiker
http://picasaweb.google.com/lukasz.lechowicz/XChallenge
MTBiker78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 03:45 AM   #1574
Colebatch
"Moto Porn"ographer
 
Colebatch's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Schmocation
Oddometer: 3,960
thats the one ... and for the earlier question, I also only use the original sump plug. It collects the big chunky flakes of metal fine, but some of the finer stuff shorts out the pick up coil once the sprag clutch starts to go.
__________________
*** New Sibirsky Extreme Trail DVD Trailer HERE ***
Moroccan Extreme 2011 DVD available HERE
World Motorcycle Altitude Record video HERE
Sibirsky Extreme - The Home of Adventure Motorcycling in Siberia and Mongolia - On Facebook
Colebatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 05:15 AM   #1575
Butters
. . . . . .
 
Butters's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: NoVA
Oddometer: 2,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt
is there any reason why I can't use stainless from my fastener supplier??
Not sure, but SS bolts are generally more brittle. I think I would probably avoid SS in a high stress location.
__________________
Marc
07 XChallenge
Butters is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014