Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2010, 12:44 PM   #1711
matloik
kludge

Oddometer: 1,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloADV
Anybody know where I can find the engine number on the Xcountry? The nice folks down at the DMV want to know what it is so I can get this thing registered in Calif.

Thanks mucho.
The DVD "manual" says "Location of engine number - crankcase, left"
Old 10-21-2010, 01:05 PM   #1712
Rev Kiecker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 729
Quote:
Originally Posted by matloik
The DVD "manual" says "Location of engine number - crankcase, left"
It's also partially hidden behind an oil line.
IBA #201

INTERNATIONAL TAXI DRIVER REPORTING FOR DUTY.
Rev Kiecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 02:40 PM   #1713
MrMike
No self control

Oddometer: 792
Number

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Kiecker
It's also partially hidden behind an oil line.
Yes at the very bottom behind the oil lines coming out of the bottom of the motor. There are two numbers the top one I think is the motor number and is easy to see. Then there is another number below it and hidden behind the oil lines that is really hard to see. I was lucky in that the first girl could see the top number but could not read the bottom one so she asked the other lady inspector who told her to just use the top number which was great since I would have had to take it home, remove the oil line and tow it back. I tried to leave the lower number all dirty so they wouldn't see it but she still did so I tried telling them that the lower number is the motor model number and that seemed to work. So hopefully that can work for you and/or you get a good inspector.
'06 Ktm 950 SM
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 02:45 PM   #1714
DiabloADV
Semi-Occasional

Oddometer: 2,228
Well, I spotted some numbers embossed in the casting kinda behind the starter motor. I just said, "That's it right there..." and the guy jotted it down. No idea what those numbers were.

We never did find any of the stickers about emissions. The guy checked those off anyway and I got my tags. Nobody noticed the missing charcoal canister. ;-)

I'm legal and off on a nice long get-to-know-you ride!
DiabloADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 10:56 AM   #1715
DiabloADV
Semi-Occasional

Oddometer: 2,228
Next Question!

Thanks for the help so far...still learning how to live with this fun little bike. Suspension....

The manual says 10 turns of the pre-load for 187lb rider (just about me), and 13 clicks of dampener.

I did that, and it seems good. Just to be clear -- when I add weight (the momma for a little cruise), I turn the preload back to, say, 8 turns or so. More? (she weighs ~110. OK...120.). Also turn back dampener to 10-11 clicks...?

Haven't had an adjustable rear shock like this before and trying to understand better how to use it...
DiabloADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 02:09 AM   #1716
kclark
1SevenZero

Oddometer: 90
Question

Went out and rode some single track today. Lots of switchbacks, rocks, roots etc. There were not alot of straights, so getting into 2nd or higher for any length of time was difficult. 1st of course is torquey and throttle control paramount. A couple of guys riding with me said to go ahead and run it in second, hardly use the clutch, and let the motor just lug. They were saying it won't result in damage to the motor. True or false? I tried it a bit, but wasn't comfortable with the idea as I've always believed otherwise. I would appreciate any thoughts on the matter.
kclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 10:13 AM   #1717
Bora20
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 849
Quote:
Originally Posted by kclark
Went out and rode some single track today. Lots of switchbacks, rocks, roots etc. There were not alot of straights, so getting into 2nd or higher for any length of time was difficult. 1st of course is torquey and throttle control paramount. A couple of guys riding with me said to go ahead and run it in second, hardly use the clutch, and let the motor just lug. They were saying it won't result in damage to the motor. True or false? I tried it a bit, but wasn't comfortable with the idea as I've always believed otherwise. I would appreciate any thoughts on the matter.

You can lug it just fine in 2nd, as long as it isn't so low that it starts to detonate/ping. You will know when that happens, it is just on the verge of stalling.

I switched to a 14T countershaft sprocket to help me ride in 2nd on single track for about a year. Once I got better at riding that type of terrain faster, I went back to the 15T.

If you really want to make it easy and spend lots of money, get a Rekluse clutch and never worry about stalling off-road and it will be like a semi-automatic bike. As easy to ride as a CRF50!
Bora20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 10:14 AM   #1718
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,570
I'm a big guy, so if I lug in 1st or 2nd over the gnarly stuff I'm likely to stall. With the wet clutch I have no worries about keeping the revs a little higher and using the clutch to control my speed. But to answer your question, IMO you can't damage this motor by lugging it. Stalling it in gear over and over again is hard on a motor, but lugging is OK. Brighter minds than mine will surely comment.
Old 10-24-2010, 11:15 AM   #1719
Geoffster
Fool - Born This Way

Oddometer: 1,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by kclark
I say, "Let it T H U M P !"

When it stalls, you've thumped too low/slow.

Consider this before arguing with me:
You're an idiot if you argue with a fool!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/geoffster/sets/
Geoffster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 11:20 AM   #1720
Ogre_fl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,155
I am a big guy too.
Every other big single I have owned lugs fine in 1st or 2nd thru tight single track, but the XC bogs or stalls doing the same.
I have to slip the clutch a lot in the tight stuff with this bike.
Don't know if it's the flywheel weight, fuel injection or both, but my bike does not lug down low like a big single should.

If yours will do it and does not stall, I say go for it.
That's usualy one of the qualities of a big single.
Ogre_fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 11:25 AM   #1721
Geoffster
Fool - Born This Way

Oddometer: 1,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloADV
Thanks for the help so far...still learning how to live with this fun little bike. Suspension....

The manual says 10 turns of the pre-load for 187lb rider (just about me), and 13 clicks of dampener.

I did that, and it seems good. Just to be clear -- when I add weight (the momma for a little cruise), I turn the preload back to, say, 8 turns or so. More? (she weighs ~110. OK...120.). Also turn back dampener to 10-11 clicks...?

Haven't had an adjustable rear shock like this before and trying to understand better how to use it...
A great number of the posts on the XCountry thread are about the rear shock. You might want to begin about here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...90240&page=158

BTW, Snooker is the XCountry shock guru -- I believe he's done more research than the rest of us put together.

Consider this before arguing with me:
You're an idiot if you argue with a fool!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/geoffster/sets/
Geoffster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 11:15 AM   #1722
kclark
1SevenZero

Oddometer: 90
Thanks for the replies. I appreciate it.
kclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 11:35 AM   #1723
Max Kool
Xtankteam™

Oddometer: 3,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogre_fl
I am a big guy too.
Every other big single I have owned lugs fine in 1st or 2nd thru tight single track, but the XC bogs or stalls doing the same.
Serious? That does not seem normal to me. I hardly ever use the clutch, and I lug it in 1st and 2nd quite some. It lugs down low better than the other bikes I have owned...

XL500, DR650, F650 (was a nightmare because as long as you were rolling the idle is very high).

On a 14 tooth front spocket my XCh is a tractor.
Max Kool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 12:03 PM   #1724
Ogre_fl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,155
Yup, fairly often this bike has tried to throw me on the ground.
It either shuts down like a light switch thrown or bogs and falls on its face.
I have to keep a hand on the clutch all the time that I am near idle speed.
I really don't like it on single track, it is very unpredictable.

About every 3 days or so lately it also shuts down like a light switch thrown when its cold too.
Ogre_fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 03:59 PM   #1725
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer: 1,521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Kool
Serious? That does not seem normal to me. I hardly ever use the clutch, and I lug it in 1st and 2nd quite some. It lugs down low better than the other bikes I have owned...

XL500, DR650, F650 (was a nightmare because as long as you were rolling the idle is very high).

On a 14 tooth front spocket my XCh is a tractor.
Same for me, I run a 14/49 on my XCo for off road, mainly using 2nd or 3rd with no problems. Of course "lug" is a subjective term, to me it means (running at "low" rpm and then twisting the throttle). I have abused it a couple of times by lugging it where the engine will knock just before it either dies OR I downshift OR slip the clutch (rare). Don't know the RPM, wouldn't care to guess but since there's no tach.

Check out the torque curve comparison from this article. The BMW just has awesome low torque, it doesn't show it below 3000 rpm but still it is a strong point IMHO (but I have owned nothing similar enough to compare it to)...

FindMeSpot ~~~ Spotwalla Baja Trip ~~~ Neduro Did Dakar!

snooker screwed with this post 11-03-2010 at 04:14 PM
snooker is offline   Reply With Quote