Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2010, 04:17 AM   #1786
goodolguzzi
Guzzen around the hood

Oddometer: 2,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogre_fl
Now I will say that I "think" the cleaning did the trick, but it might have also simply been that I disconnected the battery for 15 mins while I did the cleaning and that supposedly re-sets the ECU.
I would like someone with the stalling problem to try simply disconnecting the battery for 15 mins and see if over the next few days if it fixes the problem.
If not, simply cleaning the actuator on the bike is really easy and seemed to fix it for me.
I tried this yesterday...did not work. Stalled just like clock work within a minute.
Lots of dustydirt in there, a good cleaning is next on the to do list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colebatch
My heavily customied XC was stolen overnight in Holland. Anyone in Europe seeing unusual XC bits, or bits they recognise from my bike on places like ebay and the dutch equivalent maarkplaats, please let me know
That's just wrong! Very sad news...hopefully it turns up soon in one piece
Old 11-07-2010, 08:17 AM   #1787
Ogre_fl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodolguzzi
I tried this yesterday...did not work. Stalled just like clock work within a minute.
Give it a day or so and see if it improves.
Even after cleaning the Actuator mine stalled too, but by the 2nd day it was fine.
Ogre_fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 01:12 PM   #1788
SoTxRattlesnake
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Deals on Oil filters?

I have seen oil filters listed from about $4 to $about $20.
Is there something I am missing here?
SoTxRattlesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 01:50 PM   #1789
The Jester
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 782
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoTxRattlesnake
I have seen oil filters listed from about $4 to $about $20.
Is there something I am missing here?
BMW own filters are supplied with and o-ring for the filter cover and a copper washer for the drain plug. Buy aftermarket and it will be cheaper but you won't get the washer or o-ring.

The Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 02:19 PM   #1790
Falcon Rust
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
Chain and Sprockets Noob Question.

Hello,
i need to replace my chain and sprockets, i would like to know what people use. I still have the stock 47/15. I contacted Stephan about a replacement and he has a 49/14.
Would that be a suitable option?
Otherwise what do you recommend?
And what brand of chain should i get?

Sorry for all these questions, but i know nothing about it,
thanks,
FR
Falcon Rust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 02:35 PM   #1791
SoTxRattlesnake
Adventurer

how often?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jester
BMW own filters are supplied with and o-ring for the filter cover and a copper washer for the drain plug. Buy aftermarket and it will be cheaper but you won't get the washer or o-ring.
$16 is alot for a crush washer and O-ring.
Do they have to be changed everytime?
I am pretty sure I can buy a couple of standard sized crush washers but maybe not the o-rings.
Do the o-rings leak if not replaced each time or am I way off in my thinking?
Old 11-07-2010, 05:44 PM   #1792
DrWatson
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpie
Ran it through the breather vent. No problems. Tried the Touratech way and had leaking from the stock tank (drilled holes). Got a replacement stock tank and routed through the breather vent. I would recommend this is the best way to run it. Use Motion Pro Tyvek fuel line as the Touratech supplied line is junk.

Thanks.

Did you replace the fuel line from the breather as well?
were you able to get a T piece with the 8mm connections from the tank and a 6mm to the breather, or was your T piece all 8mm, and you put a size changer 'up stream' for the 6mm to the main tank?

Any issues with not sucking such as air leaks?
DrWatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 07:50 PM   #1793
Rev Kiecker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 729
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colebatch
My heavily customied XC was stolen overnight in Holland. Anyone in Europe seeing unusual XC bits, or bits they recognise from my bike on places like ebay and the dutch equivalent maarkplaats, please let me know
Fuck me! Best of luck Walter.
IBA #201

INTERNATIONAL TAXI DRIVER REPORTING FOR DUTY.

Rev Kiecker screwed with this post 11-08-2010 at 12:24 AM
Rev Kiecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 10:27 PM   #1794
SoTxRattlesnake
Adventurer

Same issue but different bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Rust
Hello,
i need to replace my chain and sprockets, i would like to know what people use. I still have the stock 47/15. I contacted Stephan about a replacement and he has a 49/14.
Would that be a suitable option?
Otherwise what do you recommend?
And what brand of chain should i get?

Sorry for all these questions, but i know nothing about it,
thanks,
FR
A reply from another NOOB:
I am working with this also but with a different perspective.
I will be needing to replace my chain and sprockets within the next 6 months or so also.
My chain has some slack in it, but my sprockets are not hooked and do not show alot of wear to them. I have about an inch of adjustment left at the swingarm. Currently, I am running a 16/47 gear set up.
Its an 07 X-Moto. Where I live, I have alot of winding/ short run asphalt roads, some low water crossings, some gravel roads, and the occasional dirt road / singletrack.
I know I am limited because of front tire diameter (17") and also from running cast wheels, so major offroad is not gonna happen for me.
I am not trying to jack into any dirt threads, but it seems like I ride on the street sometimes like its a dirt track so thats why I am in this forum.
What I have done is purchase a 15 tooth front sprocket to see if this is closer to the ratio I want to run. If that works and I like the ratio.......
I am going to do this........
Purchase an original sized 16 tooth front and then go UP 2 or 3 teeth in the rear and go with a new chain.
This will give me pretty damn close to the same gearing I am testing with the used parts (chain and rear sprocket) but for only about $30 of play money.
It should give me better chain longevity (my opinion) by keeping a larger front sprocket.
It will also give me the option of still dropping an additional tooth (to a 15 or even the one I bought to test) in the front if I ever wanted to get even more low end grunt.
That should equal out to about what the X-Challenge bikes are running for the "technical" trails.
Again..... not trying to be a smart ass or anything, but is my thinking right?
I don't have hardly any motorcycle experience but I do have some mechanical knowledge.

Chain brand / sprocket supplier.......... need some recommendations just like the OP on here. I did find a front sprocket out there, but not a rear.
All help appreciated.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:36 PM   #1795
Rev Kiecker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 729
Sprokets and Chains - go here: http://www.drivesystemsusa.com/c/203...nge-07-09.html
No affiliation, just a happy customer.
IBA #201

INTERNATIONAL TAXI DRIVER REPORTING FOR DUTY.
Rev Kiecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 11:04 PM   #1796
The Jester
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 782
Quote:
$16 is alot for a crush washer and O-ring.
Do they have to be changed everytime?
I am pretty sure I can buy a couple of standard sized crush washers but maybe not the o-rings.
Do the o-rings leak if not replaced each time or am I way off in my thinking?
copper crush washers can be reused but will harden after a few uses. this can be reduced by heating them with a blow torch then quenching them in water to anneal them. O-rings also can be used more then once.

The Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 05:32 AM   #1797
bigdon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,517
I alternate a BMW kit one change and then use a KN oil filter the next.
I am a cheap bastard used to ride a KLR!

Don't stop riding until you get to the crash , you might save it!
bigdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 05:53 AM   #1798
SCQTT
Zwei Kolben

Oddometer: 5,317
Quote:
A reply from another NOOB:
I am working with this also but with a different perspective.
I will be needing to replace my chain and sprockets within the next 6 months or so also.
My chain has some slack in it, but my sprockets are not hooked and do not show alot of wear to them. I have about an inch of adjustment left at the swingarm. Currently, I am running a 16/47 gear set up.
Its an 07 X-Moto. Where I live, I have alot of winding/ short run asphalt roads, some low water crossings, some gravel roads, and the occasional dirt road / singletrack.
I know I am limited because of front tire diameter (17") and also from running cast wheels, so major offroad is not gonna happen for me.
I am not trying to jack into any dirt threads, but it seems like I ride on the street sometimes like its a dirt track so thats why I am in this forum.
What I have done is purchase a 15 tooth front sprocket to see if this is closer to the ratio I want to run. If that works and I like the ratio.......
I am going to do this........
Purchase an original sized 16 tooth front and then go UP 2 or 3 teeth in the rear and go with a new chain.
This will give me pretty damn close to the same gearing I am testing with the used parts (chain and rear sprocket) but for only about $30 of play money.
It should give me better chain longevity (my opinion) by keeping a larger front sprocket.
It will also give me the option of still dropping an additional tooth (to a 15 or even the one I bought to test) in the front if I ever wanted to get even more low end grunt.
That should equal out to about what the X-Challenge bikes are running for the "technical" trails.
Again..... not trying to be a smart ass or anything, but is my thinking right?
I don't have hardly any motorcycle experience but I do have some mechanical knowledge.

Chain brand / sprocket supplier.......... need some recommendations just like the OP on here. I did find a front sprocket out there, but not a rear.
All help appreciated.

Sprockets and chain wear together...even if your sprockets look fine they are worn.

Couple of ideas.

Buy and run a cheap chain and old sprockets.

Replace it all.

The gearing is already pretty low on the street. If you go down one in the front first gear is going to be almost useless on the street, by doing this you are going to effectively give yourself a 4 speed.

Do you spend most of your time riding at a walking pace or 40 KMH or more per hour?
Old 11-08-2010, 08:27 AM   #1799
SoTxRattlesnake
Adventurer

Clean with?????

Should I use a spray type cleaner and blast away at this or should I use a liquid with something like swabs to limit the residue going into the throttle body?
Berryman / Chemtool type products?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogre_fl
Sorry, I didn't take pictures as I did it.
Remove the right side "tank" cover and the idle actuator is on the right side of the throttle body.
Its a little tight but you can get to it and remove it.

I used the BMW REPROM as a reference, maybe this will help, bear in mind the airbox is still on.

Old 11-08-2010, 08:31 AM   #1800
SoTxRattlesnake
Adventurer

I have never heard of heating and quenching the crush washer.
I will damn sure try it.
Thanks for that!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jester
copper crush washers can be reused but will harden after a few uses. this can be reduced by heating them with a blow torch then quenching them in water to anneal them. O-rings also can be used more then once.