User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2009, 06:33 PM   #181
MTDewX8
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 506
not sure if this was already posted, sorry if it was,
but I got a reply from Remus on "there" dyno pipe and header.

ok the link was supposed to be here. sorry didn't work. edited.

hope it works.

went from 53, 54 and 56 with header. not sure the header is worth en extra $300.
just thought I would share.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:15 PM   #182
Max Kool
Xtankteam™

Oddometer: 3,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somber
Max - did you try just going to the Uni-filter and leaving the airbox cover in place, or did you just do both at the same time to feel the "down low" power increase?

I yanked the cover and swapped the BMW paper filter for the Uni-filter foam one and put the bike back together. I noticed a "seat of the pants" difference in the bike that is like you said most noticeable at the lower RPMs. I then read a couple different posts scattered around the interweb claiming that opening up the intake that fully was actually hurting the torque at low RPMs.

So I figured no better way to find out than to try it myself. So I left the Uni in and put the cover back on the bike. I can certainly tell the difference in noise the bike makes, especially straight up above the airbox, but I'm having a hard time feeling a difference between cover on and cover off with the Uni-filter.

Now, there were some pretty big temperature swings which perhaps masked the differences, but I was just curious to know if you tried it half way or if you've always had the cover off since shifting filters...

As a matter of fact I don't even know where the cover is. Oh and btw, I still use the paper airfilter elements. I bought half a dozen of them for a rally last year, and I still have one new one left. I like the fact that you can "clean" a paper filter element during a week just by keeping it upside down and knocking it. Once I need to replace the last one I'll switch to foamtype elements.
Max Kool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 10:27 PM   #183
MTDewX8
Studly Adventurer

New X with 7 miles on her in my garage.
and I put on I think 5 of them.

Gee where to start lol
Old 01-17-2009, 06:07 AM   #184
Tarheel Wheeler
Around

Oddometer: 3,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTDewX8
New X with 7 miles on her in my garage.
and I put on I think 5 of them.

Gee where to start lol
Sweeeeeet Dood...welcome to the X Gang. You're gonna love the X. Let the farklin start!

"Get to riding or get to dying"...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_T41kJm-PE
Tarheel Wheeler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 08:05 AM   #185
MTDewX8
Studly Adventurer

I would like to break her in before I do to much. as in pipe and such.
I also plan on doing the 20 mile oil change. being the first bike I have really ever done it to. so why not but tax return season is upon us
but yes I am making a list and checking the bank to decide which comes first.

just have ot wait for the snow/ice to melt. dotn feel like dropping in my drive way cause of that. that woudl piss me off.
Old 01-17-2009, 11:07 AM   #186
MTDewX8
Studly Adventurer

OK, I really have to know

with the 5 tools and one fuse puller can't be all you need for tinkering with the bike is it?

I am very surprosed that that is all there is.

is there anything I need to add?
Old 01-17-2009, 01:11 PM   #187
mxchamp
Registered Lurker

Oddometer: 1,426
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTDewX8
OK, I really have to know

with the 5 tools and one fuse puller can't be all you need for tinkering with the bike is it?

I am very surprosed that that is all there is.

is there anything I need to add?
http://www.blueridgeracing.com/buyMotoKit3.htm

Get the Adventure Stage 3 kit, with Hybrid pump and torx bits.

Don't just get the case and try to find the tools you need at your local hardware store, you will pay more money if you do it that way.

You actually save quite a bit of cash getting the kit with the tools included.

Goodluck.

Encouraging Serious Horseplay!
mxchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 10:28 AM   #188
Old crawler
n00b

Oddometer: 9
stalliing at idle

My G650 X Challange has a problem with stalling at idle. I bought the bike new in February of 2008 and it ran fine for a month or 2 then begin stalling when started with a cold engine. The bike runs fine once it is warmed up but will stall repeatedly during the first few minutes. If the engine is warm it will start and not stall. I rode the bike like this for about 6 months. Air temperature varied during that time from 40 degrees to 100 degrees and bike behaves the same in all weather conditions. I checked the vent hose issue and messed with the air cleaner but none of this had any effect on the problem. In late Novembr with about 5000 miles I took the bike in to the dealer and they replaced the idle control module. This fixed the problem for 3 days then the stalling returned. I took it back and basically they say it is not a problem and they will not repair it again.
The engine will stall 5 to 15 times on every startup if it has not run in the prevoius 30 minutes. I need to know if anyone has seen this problem and if so what fixed it.
Old crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 11:21 AM   #189
Tarheel Wheeler
Around

Oddometer: 3,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old crawler
My G650 X Challange has a problem with stalling at idle. I bought the bike new in February of 2008 and it ran fine for a month or 2 then begin stalling when started with a cold engine. The bike runs fine once it is warmed up but will stall repeatedly during the first few minutes. If the engine is warm it will start and not stall. I rode the bike like this for about 6 months. Air temperature varied during that time from 40 degrees to 100 degrees and bike behaves the same in all weather conditions. I checked the vent hose issue and messed with the air cleaner but none of this had any effect on the problem. In late Novembr with about 5000 miles I took the bike in to the dealer and they replaced the idle control module. This fixed the problem for 3 days then the stalling returned. I took it back and basically they say it is not a problem and they will not repair it again.
The engine will stall 5 to 15 times on every startup if it has not run in the prevoius 30 minutes. I need to know if anyone has seen this problem and if so what fixed it.
OC, Sorry to hear you're havin problems with your X. I've not experienced that issue, but I have experienced as high idle speed after engine warms up. Please keep us posted.

"Get to riding or get to dying"...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_T41kJm-PE
Tarheel Wheeler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 11:23 AM   #190
JimC
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old crawler
........The engine will stall 5 to 15 times on every startup if it has not run in the prevoius 30 minutes. I need to know if anyone has seen this problem and if so what fixed it.
Try adjusting your clutch lever play. I used to laugh when people started complaining about their bikes stalling because my X never stalled. Then one day after about 4000 miles it stalled on me, the problem got worse. I tried several things and nothing seemed to work. One day I adjusted the clutch lever free play (reducing the play) and my bike stopped stalling. It stated stalling again a couple thousand miles later, I adjusted the clutch again and it stopped. I am guessing the bike runs so lean at idle that the slighest drag on the clutch caused it to stall. This would also explain why it is not an issue when the bike warms up, as the oil has thined out reducing the drag.

Give it a try, it worked for me, and you can't beat the price.

Jim in Sacramento
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 12:45 PM   #191
SQD8R
Eat squids and be merry

Oddometer: 7,363
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...=1#post4425686

some Dakar pics including some of a 650X
Married men don't live longer, it just seems longer.
Sour grapes are a lesser man's fruit.
SQD8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 04:56 PM   #192
MTDewX8
Studly Adventurer

questions

on my 40 miles so far of owning the bike.

I found the pump under the seat, and my question is what is that threaded piece you have to take off to thread on to the Air shock? its like a presta size fitting.

also what PSI are you running. I'm at 185 +- with minimal gear on?

Seat sure is Hard!

were do you get those metal guards that protect the under part of the pegs folks are talking about. is there a good thickness if I can fine some one to fab them for me. adn I am assuming I can just take the pegs off to get hole meaurment right. so I need longer bolts?

rack mounts? or add on to the handles from the country?

so far the bike is fun with the slow chilling mode I am in for break it, but looking fwd to getting some miles on the beast.
if you lower to the 14T counter sprocket does it kill your hwy revs? or do able.

already on the list is Skid plate, Leo or Remus pipe.

I will have more, but will keep reading the crazy amount of threads on this bike.

Cheers
Old 01-18-2009, 06:21 PM   #193
spawnx66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
Thanks for the tip. Mine never stalled also until about 7000kms on the odo. At 10000km I brought into dealer and they cleared all the fault codes and said if it stalled again they would flash the ecu. It stalled again a few weeks after that but it was close to winter and didn't bother going back to the dealer. Once spring comes around I'm going to try your advice and see if it fixes the problem. Also I have a Leo Vince exhaust waiting to be put on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
Try adjusting your clutch lever play. I used to laugh when people started complaining about their bikes stalling because my X never stalled. Then one day after about 4000 miles it stalled on me, the problem got worse. I tried several things and nothing seemed to work. One day I adjusted the clutch lever free play (reducing the play) and my bike stopped stalling. It stated stalling again a couple thousand miles later, I adjusted the clutch again and it stopped. I am guessing the bike runs so lean at idle that the slighest drag on the clutch caused it to stall. This would also explain why it is not an issue when the bike warms up, as the oil has thined out reducing the drag.

Give it a try, it worked for me, and you can't beat the price.

Jim in Sacramento
spawnx66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 09:17 PM   #194
N[]vA
Adventure Geek

Oddometer: 4
Eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnx66
Thanks for the tip. Mine never stalled also until about 7000kms on the odo. At 10000km I brought into dealer and they cleared all the fault codes and said if it stalled again they would flash the ecu. It stalled again a few weeks after that but it was close to winter and didn't bother going back to the dealer. Once spring comes around I'm going to try your advice and see if it fixes the problem. Also I have a Leo Vince exhaust waiting to be put on!
Had a similar issue with my xcountry, eventually the bike started developing a stutter around mid rpm range, esp under load.

waiting for the spark plug coils to be replaced. I would be surprised if the stalling is cause by the clutch cable
08 BMW G650 Xcountry = write off
08 BMW G650 Xcountry = replaced
N[]vA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 10:04 PM   #195
Sonymalc
I'm Just Here

Oddometer: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel Wheeler
OC, Sorry to hear you're havin problems with your X. I've not experienced that issue, but I have experienced as high idle speed after engine warms up. Please keep us posted.
I have had the High idle happen to me about 3 times. Cold morning start ups, usually let the bike warm mabye 5 min or however long it takes me to gear up. Then leave, 15 miles later it still is holding a high idle.

Told the dealer about it, I didnt take it in for it but just told them about it when it was having the frame replaced. They said it could have been caused by having the throttle turned slightly on start up. I usually dont even touch it when pressing the button but on those mornings I may have, not sure. It dosnt ever really do it but those 3 times. Mabye I had moved the throttle slightly and caused it.

Also my clutch was acting up intermittantly. Usually within the first 1-5 stops of riding (commuting) at traffic lights. When the light turned green I would go and take off, Not supper hard take off, but like Im in front of the line and want to make sure I get the hell out of the way starts. So not super soft but enough of a start to get going. While letting the clutch out it would hang and then grab (within a split second) Causing a loud bark/ARRPT sound from the clutch itself and would generally pull the front wheel off the ground enough to get you in trouble if the wrong person saw.

Dealer replaced the clutch basket which the plates had worn a slight edge into the outer splines of the basket causing it to hang, would only do it a couple times within the first moments of riding. Since they replaced I rode about 1000 miles no problems and now it is beginning to return (only happend twice when cold). I dont kill the engine by clutch dropping either, that was one possible cause they asked me about. I use the key or switch. Other then stupid mistakes killing it. Ill keep an eye on it.

FOLLOW ME ON MY SPOT

2007 BMW G650X Challenge
2004 Husqvarna TE250 now a 310
1997 BMW R1100RT
1997 Fantic Section 250
1972 Honda SL70
1990 Honda Transalp (sold)
Dreaming of that new GS1200

Lowrance iFINDER Expedition™ C
Lowrance XOG
Sonymalc is offline   Reply With Quote