Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2009, 01:55 AM   #196
pampaX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 392
Hi MTDewX8, I have the 14T and works great off road its fine on the road altough road riding is not my main concern. The seat gets better with use.

Cheers,
PampaX

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTDewX8
on my 40 miles so far of owning the bike.

I found the pump under the seat, and my question is what is that threaded piece you have to take off to thread on to the Air shock? its like a presta size fitting.

also what PSI are you running. I'm at 185 +- with minimal gear on?

Seat sure is Hard!

were do you get those metal guards that protect the under part of the pegs folks are talking about. is there a good thickness if I can fine some one to fab them for me. adn I am assuming I can just take the pegs off to get hole meaurment right. so I need longer bolts?

rack mounts? or add on to the handles from the country?

so far the bike is fun with the slow chilling mode I am in for break it, but looking fwd to getting some miles on the beast.
if you lower to the 14T counter sprocket does it kill your hwy revs? or do able.

already on the list is Skid plate, Leo or Remus pipe.

I will have more, but will keep reading the crazy amount of threads on this bike.

Cheers
pampaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 06:18 AM   #197
Tarheel Wheeler
Around

Oddometer: 3,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by pampaX
Hi MTDewX8, I have the 14T and works great off road its fine on the road altough road riding is not my main concern. The seat gets better with use.

Cheers,
PampaX
Agree with PampaX on the seat, although Renazcos are really sweet!

"Get to riding or get to dying"...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_T41kJm-PE
Tarheel Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 06:55 AM   #198
MTDewX8
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 505
Yeah when I was buying the bike and being on the fence between the X or the 690 the 690 had a Renzco seat already. was a tough choice on bikes though.
but so far I am happy
Old 01-19-2009, 09:55 AM   #199
PacWestGS
Life Is The Adventure!

Oddometer: 10,866
Quote:
Yeah when I was buying the bike and being on the fence between the X or the 690 the 690 had a Renzco seat already. was a tough choice on bikes though.
but so far I am happy
(I know a little X with a Renazco seat)

Congrats on the new bike, you are going to have fun with it!

The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. (Albert Einstein)
PacWestGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 03:10 PM   #200
Old crawler
n00b

Oddometer: 9
stalling at idle issue

OK I tried adjusting the clutch cable but this had no effect on the stalling.
I had the high idle issue after the idle control module was replaced but it went away after 2 days.
Old crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 05:40 PM   #201
tdv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonymalc
I have had the High idle happen to me about 3 times. Cold morning start ups, usually let the bike warm mabye 5 min or however long it takes me to gear up. Then leave, 15 miles later it still is holding a high idle.

Told the dealer about it, I didnt take it in for it but just told them about it when it was having the frame replaced. They said it could have been caused by having the throttle turned slightly on start up. I usually dont even touch it when pressing the button but on those mornings I may have, not sure. It dosnt ever really do it but those 3 times. Mabye I had moved the throttle slightly and caused it.

Also my clutch was acting up intermittantly. Usually within the first 1-5 stops of riding (commuting) at traffic lights. When the light turned green I would go and take off, Not supper hard take off, but like Im in front of the line and want to make sure I get the hell out of the way starts. So not super soft but enough of a start to get going. While letting the clutch out it would hang and then grab (within a split second) Causing a loud bark/ARRPT sound from the clutch itself and would generally pull the front wheel off the ground enough to get you in trouble if the wrong person saw.

Dealer replaced the clutch basket which the plates had worn a slight edge into the outer splines of the basket causing it to hang, would only do it a couple times within the first moments of riding. Since they replaced I rode about 1000 miles no problems and now it is beginning to return (only happend twice when cold). I dont kill the engine by clutch dropping either, that was one possible cause they asked me about. I use the key or switch. Other then stupid mistakes killing it. Ill keep an eye on it.
I've had both of these issues - the high idle and the clutch grabbiness.

The first one happens once in a while - it starts idling high for no apparent reason (usually on cold mornings), but if you turn the ignition on and off it idles normally.

As for the clutch stuff - I still think it had more to do with the clutch slipping of my finger phalange at the wrong moment and it being cold. It was entertaining for the people around though as I was trying to catch my front wheel..

Dmitri
Old 01-19-2009, 06:16 PM   #202
spawnx66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
When you mean stutter do you mean a bit of a lag when on the throttle? I've noticed that as well, doesn't seem to rev as freely as before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N[]vA
Had a similar issue with my xcountry, eventually the bike started developing a stutter around mid rpm range, esp under load.

waiting for the spark plug coils to be replaced. I would be surprised if the stalling is cause by the clutch cable
spawnx66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 08:41 PM   #203
JimC
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by N[]vA
I would be surprised if the stalling is cause by the clutch cable
It's not the clutch cable causing the stalling, it's the clutch play adjustment made with the clutch cable. Cables strech, when they do the clutch play goes out of of adjustment causing the clutch to drag. I believe that the drag is one of the causes of stalling. This worked for me, and it certainly can't hurt to try it. Check your owners manual for instructions on how to adjust your clutch play.

Jim in Sacramento
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 11:28 PM   #204
N[]vA
Adventure Geek

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnx66
When you mean stutter do you mean a bit of a lag when on the throttle? I've noticed that as well, doesn't seem to rev as freely as before.
nope if I open the throttle to about 30 - 60% the engine "stutters" as in doesn't pull at all, almost like the chugging feeling of an engine not getting fuel due to a vacuum (yea already checked that its fine) as I hit 70%+ throttle it pulls again.

To the point where if I try to overtake a car and it happens I will not be able to. Still waiting on an ETA from bmw
08 BMW G650 Xcountry = write off
08 BMW G650 Xcountry = replaced
N[]vA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 11:29 PM   #205
N[]vA
Adventure Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
It's not the clutch cable causing the stalling, it's the clutch play adjustment made with the clutch cable. Cables strech, when they do the clutch play goes out of of adjustment causing the clutch to drag. I believe that the drag is one of the causes of stalling. This worked for me, and it certainly can't hurt to try it. Check your owners manual for instructions on how to adjust your clutch play.

Jim in Sacramento
I check mine just about once a week, have a second clutch cable running next to the replaced original, last thing I want to deal with is a snapped cable
Old 01-21-2009, 05:23 PM   #206
Old crawler
n00b

Oddometer: 9
stalling at idle

My bike stalls repeatedly at idle until the engine warms up then runs fine. Tonight while poking around i noticed something that brings a question. I know that turning the throttle while the engine is warming up will cause a stall but what happens if the throttle never fully closes. On my bike the stop screw on the side of the throttle body is controlling idle speed during warm up. Is this the way it should work or does the idle control electronics control idle speed?
Is there anyone on this thread that understands the fuel injection on this engine. I don't want to do anything that could be used to void the warranty and this screw is locked and marked with adhesive.
Old crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 12:17 AM   #207
N[]vA
Adventure Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old crawler
My bike stalls repeatedly at idle until the engine warms up then runs fine. Tonight while poking around i noticed something that brings a question. I know that turning the throttle while the engine is warming up will cause a stall but what happens if the throttle never fully closes. On my bike the stop screw on the side of the throttle body is controlling idle speed during warm up. Is this the way it should work or does the idle control electronics control idle speed?
Is there anyone on this thread that understands the fuel injection on this engine. I don't want to do anything that could be used to void the warranty and this screw is locked and marked with adhesive.
I had an issue with idling while cold on my first Xcountry that was resolved with a software update, not sure if the screw will change any thing. If you are concerned about warranty best est is to call the dealer and ask.
Old 01-23-2009, 08:16 PM   #208
kutch
That fell off where?

Oddometer: 583
Laugh

To the X community at large...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=97

All I need now is someone to post the files on a website for all to easily download....Any takers...?

Kutch
Old 01-23-2009, 08:49 PM   #209
MTDewX8
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 505
any web site folks out there?!!!!!!

thanks Kutch

this is really a cool thing to offer to the group with a Much needed farkle for these bikes.

I wish I could do more.
Old 01-24-2009, 07:40 AM   #210
nada
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 372
Quote:
any web site folks out there?!!!!!!
Maybe.

Yo, cvestal: you listening?
Thanks kutch, for making your layout open source. Very generous!
nada is offline   Reply With Quote