Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2012, 02:22 AM   #3136
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer: 1,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalGSer View Post
I have installed some D rings another inmate tbarstow suggested, from Mcmaster-Carr as below:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=2327

They were $35 a part and work well. However, I plan to install an Ohlins in the rear and not sure that there is room for both, hence looking for foot pegs. Appreciate the suggestion!
I was concerned about the scraping marks on the swingarm as seen in these pics from the above link, you know how sensitive I am about my swingarm...
Tim perhaps you can comment but it sure looks like there is/was a clearance problem?

So I started with these smaller D-rings from my local Ace Hardware, you get 4 of them for $10 and it took a couple of tries as I bent the clip around until it surrounded the D-ring. In theory the holes would line up, I got close. I only use it on the right side as it really is a mess on the left side, even with my LV exhaust feel it would pull the GL Great Basin strap in against the pipe and actually the heat shields way too much, so I use the removeable footpeg on the left (this is on an '07 XCountry aluminum subframe). I'll take my chances.
LINKY

These are plenty sturdy, the d-rings are even welded shut.

FindMeSpot ~~~ Spotwalla Baja Trip ~~~ Neduro Did Dakar!
snooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 04:14 AM   #3137
mikecbrxx
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmead1 View Post
BE SURE that any 2009 XCountry rear sub-frame IS actually steel....mine was not. So not all 2009 XCountry had rear steel frames.
Interesting...was yours the 'yellow' one ? When was it actually built (from the VIN). I think that a simple way of telling is if the rear foot-peg mounts are welded to the sub-frame...though maybe someone will correct me on that too
mikecbrxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 04:18 AM   #3138
mikecbrxx
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Ho! View Post
Front/lower mount is actually at the two canister mount points, not the passenger foot peg points which are a fair bit lower. I know some bikes never had canisters but still, not the foot peg mounts.
Thanks for correcting.....on reflection that must be the case as on my steel frame, the foot-peg mounts were welded to the sub-frame so I had to cut them off but I still had the 'holes' that I was referring to....doh
Old 01-26-2012, 04:22 AM   #3139
mikecbrxx
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostyuk View Post
you sure you want footpegs just to secure luggage? try looking up lashing rings for trailers basically a d ring with a back plate that could probably fit into the footpeg mounting holes, not sure the attachment will show an example. with the footpegs there is a risk of twisting the frame in an off

Attachment 312132
Thanks for the idea Frosty....you may have just solved a problem for me. I think 4 of these type things welded onto the front of my bike would make excellent tank bag attachment points for my small Wolfman tank bag. I don't like the oem mounting....too many flappy straps for my taste.
Old 01-26-2012, 06:18 AM   #3140
jjmead1
now THAT"S a bike!

Oddometer: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecbrxx View Post
Interesting...was yours the 'yellow' one ? When was it actually built (from the VIN). I think that a simple way of telling is if the rear foot-peg mounts are welded to the sub-frame...though maybe someone will correct me on that too
VIn showed '09. It was yellow, it had rear passenger pegs welded to aluminum frame. No magnet ever stuck to the frame
jjmead1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 08:41 AM   #3141
mikecbrxx
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmead1 View Post
VIn showed '09. It was yellow, it had rear passenger pegs welded to aluminum frame. No magnet ever stuck to the frame
Ok, that is strange. Mine was yellow on an 09 plate but vin showed that it was build in the factory September 08. Its definitely steel though. Is yours the US version....maybe that has something to do with it?
Old 01-26-2012, 11:29 AM   #3142
kito
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr F View Post
Pull the swing arm off, impeller cover, clutch side engine cover and replace the shaft and impeller, the two seals, the pump gear. New water pump cover seal, and new engine cover seal... I'm probably not missing anything, but I'm sure someone will correct me if I am

Edit: dug up my last receipt from max bmw with all the part numbers. I have an xmoto, but the shouldn't make any difference on the water pump

1/11147706498

GASKET

$22.80

$22.80

1/11142343240

GASKET RING - A6X10

$0.57

$0.57

1/11517652950

GASKET

$4.08

$4.08

1/11512343451

SET: SET, WATER PUMP SHAFT

$47.38

$47.38

1/11412343107

STOP DISK - 10,1X17X1

$0.76

$0.76

1/11512343127

ROLL PIN - 4X19,8

$1.73

$1.73

1/11517652905

PINION - 15 Z

$9.62

$9.62

thanks for that .I will get the parts orderd as spers for the next trip
kito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 05:49 AM   #3143
jjmead1
now THAT"S a bike!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecbrxx View Post
Ok, that is strange. Mine was yellow on an 09 plate but vin showed that it was build in the factory September 08. Its definitely steel though. Is yours the US version....maybe that has something to do with it?
Yes. US version.
Old 01-27-2012, 08:19 AM   #3144
baboon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
I've been looking for fuel filter and I cannot find it. I know that at the F650 is somewhere under the seat (see the picture). Can anyone tell me where is the filter or XC doesn`t have something like this?
Attached Images

baboon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 11:40 AM   #3145
The Jester
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 759
Quote:
Originally Posted by baboon View Post
I've been looking for fuel filter and I cannot find it. I know that at the F650 is somewhere under the seat (see the picture). Can anyone tell me where is the filter or XC doesn`t have something like this?
I know the pump is inside the tank. Not sure whether there is a filter in there too. No filter outside the tank as the hose goes direct from the tank to the throttle body.

The Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 11:44 AM   #3146
LangKat
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by baboon View Post
It is part of the fuel pump I think.
LangKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 01:48 PM   #3147
The Jester
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 759
Oil pump failure update

Bike is now returned. The good news is the engine sounds sweet and Oceans, the local dealer, have done a thorough job. They removed the rocker cover as well to check the cams - all fine there. Even better was the fact that the total bill was only 250. I know how long they spent on the job and that is a VERY good deal. Thanks guys

I have the broken parts and the pump shaft is definitely turning a little rough in the pump cover. However it appears that this has been caused by a few scratches on the shaft caused during the failure or subsequent disassembly. Not the cause of the problem. The inner pump rotor was not turning freely inside the outer part due to debris, what appears to be black plastic, rammed into the end of one of the points on the outer rotor. After removing the debris, the rotors turned smoothly.

Now what has most likely caused the problem: there are a couple of dimples on the lobes of the inner rotor, and matching ones in a point of the outer rotor. No idea what has caused the dimples but I doubt it was the plastic as there is no damage in the point where the plastic debris was lodged. With the pump parts being steel it is most likely a piece of metal debris that has passed through the pump. This in turn has stressed the gear which has then failed.

No sign of metal debris when I changed the oil over Christmas. Fresh oil and filter have been fitted with the pump but I am inclined to give it a couple of weeks to flush round the engine and change again, just in case there is anything else washing round in there.

The Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 04:25 PM   #3148
CaliKarl
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 568
Considering a purchase of a bone-stock XChallenge. It has 7500 miles on it. What should I focus on when examining the bike? It looks damn good. Do people put crash bars on the thing? Thanks, really.
CaliKarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 05:38 PM   #3149
jjmead1
now THAT"S a bike!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliKarl View Post
Considering a purchase of a bone-stock XChallenge. It has 7500 miles on it. What should I focus on when examining the bike? It looks damn good. Do people put crash bars on the thing? Thanks, really.
Certain folks would say the swing arm...
Old 01-28-2012, 06:14 AM   #3150
LangKat
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliKarl View Post
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=16623442#post16623442

Check the reply under it as well.

My bike came with Hepco and Becker crash bars.
LangKat is offline   Reply With Quote