ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-31-2013, 07:41 PM   #4606
SafteyCushion
"Ask better, learn more"
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Salt Lake City Area
Oddometer: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by LangKat View Post
Anyone else ever try to remove their seat and find it stuck? Seems like the latching mechanism is broken.

Any idea how to get there with the seat stuck on?
On the f650gs and the 1200gs, the solution is to hold the lock in the open position with one hand and give the back of the seat a goo whack with the other.
SafteyCushion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:00 PM   #4607
Sno Dawg
Studly Adventurer
 
Sno Dawg's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Oddometer: 666
OHLINS rear shock question

I just picked up a used (about 200 miles on it) OHLINS rear shock with two springs - a 150 pound and a 250 pound. I weigh somewhere in the range of 180 maybe 190 with gear and I am leaning towards the 150 pound spring as I have read they are a bit stiff.

Any thoughts - suggestions?

Thanks,
Jeff -Sno Dawg
__________________
1974 FJ40 Land Cruiser - KERMIT - 4 inch CCOT lift with 33 inch muds - OEM Soft Top - really slow
2006 BMW HP2 - BLUE SLED - Smooth and really fast!!!
2007 BMW XChallenge - WHITEY - Leo Vince - Renazco/Ohlins- Touratech - a bit faster
2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD SR5 V6 - RED SLED- RTT - 3 inch lift
Sno Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:54 PM   #4608
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool
 
tbarstow's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Viva Lost Wages!
Oddometer: 3,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno Dawg View Post
I just picked up a used (about 200 miles on it) OHLINS rear shock with two springs - a 150 pound and a 250 pound. I weigh somewhere in the range of 180 maybe 190 with gear and I am leaning towards the 150 pound spring as I have read they are a bit stiff.

Any thoughts - suggestions?

Thanks,
Jeff -Sno Dawg
Use the 250 pound spring. No point in blowing out a perfectly good shock on the first ride.
tbarstow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:39 PM   #4609
The Jester
Studly Adventurer
 
The Jester's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Cornwall, UK
Oddometer: 758
Quote:
Originally Posted by pampaX View Post
Hi guys does anybody know which other bikes have same rear disk rotors?

I found very scarce info and replacements on the net. Lots of front ones but no rears.

Found:
Dealer can get original with 3 months delay I assume they need to extract the metal out of the mine first.

Thanks
Try EBC brake discs, reference number MD810C.

Made in UK. Not sure if they export, would have thought so, but I can help if they don't. I have EBC discs front and rear. They fit properly and run true unlike another make I tried once.
__________________
Life is not a rehearsal!


The Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:30 AM   #4610
pampaX
Gnarly Adventurer
 
pampaX's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Oddometer: 406
Hi thanks, I'll give it a try .

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jester View Post
Try EBC brake discs, reference number MD810C.

Made in UK. Not sure if they export, would have thought so, but I can help if they don't. I have EBC discs front and rear. They fit properly and run true unlike another make I tried once.
__________________
---

My G650X Challenge, Bike build thread on
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...7#post15320987
pampaX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:37 AM   #4611
MizzouRider
Beastly Adventurer
 
MizzouRider's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Fly over zone
Oddometer: 1,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRider View Post
Trying to decide if its worth it to put the progressive springs in the front shocks..
Any pro or con opinions would be welcome, and who makes them? HyperPro? I think TT sells the HyperPro also. Any others?
Anyone have a set they want to git rid if, if you gave up and replaced the front forks?
Thanks
Ok, does anyone have any "second hand" info on progressive springs?
I'm a big guy, does weight make a difference, as to the benefits? I know the best solution is a complete fork swap out, but I'm not ready to dump that much $$.
Thanks
__________________
IBA#32778 2008 R1200GSA 2007 G650XChallenge
No man is as good as he ought to be, and few men are as bad as they seem.. (from a early 1900s post card found in Perry, Missouri..)
MizzouRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:41 PM   #4612
pampaX
Gnarly Adventurer
 
pampaX's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Oddometer: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbarstow View Post
I have looked before and nobody makes a G650X rear rotor replacement. The catalogs may say that it exists, but I have shipped them all back because they do not fit.
are you saying F650GS rears dont fit?
__________________
---

My G650X Challenge, Bike build thread on
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...7#post15320987
pampaX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:12 PM   #4613
Butters
. . . . . .
 
Butters's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: NoVA
Oddometer: 2,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRider View Post
Ok, does anyone have any "second hand" info on progressive springs?
I'm a big guy, does weight make a difference, as to the benefits? I know the best solution is a complete fork swap out, but I'm not ready to dump that much $$.
Thanks
Have you read much of the "X-Challenge front suspension" thread? It's pretty disjointed and mostly about fork swaps, but there are a few people who changed the springs. I don't see too many complaints about the Hyperpro springs, but I really don't see a lot of "Why didn't I do this sooner?!?" endorsements either. Whenever I get around to servicing my front end, I will likely put them in. For the PITA messy job of disassembling the forks, the small cost of the springs will be the furthest thing from my mind. My feeling is it certainly can't hurt (other than cost).
__________________
Marc
07 XChallenge
Butters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:26 PM   #4614
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool
 
tbarstow's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Viva Lost Wages!
Oddometer: 3,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by pampaX View Post
are you saying F650GS rears dont fit?
Correct. Even the EBC rotor listed in the catalog doesn't work
tbarstow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:35 PM   #4615
The Jester
Studly Adventurer
 
The Jester's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Cornwall, UK
Oddometer: 758
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbarstow View Post
Correct. Even the EBC rotor listed in the catalog doesn't work
EBC rotor does work but you need to order the correct one. The disc listed for the Xco is the same as the f650gs which is incorrect. The disc listed for the Xchallenge fits
__________________
Life is not a rehearsal!


The Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:53 AM   #4616
pampaX
Gnarly Adventurer
 
pampaX's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Oddometer: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jester View Post
EBC rotor does work but you need to order the correct one. The disc listed for the Xco is the same as the f650gs which is incorrect. The disc listed for the Xchallenge fits
Thanks for all the advice I finally bought Stephen one. I bought a couple of things from him before and were all good it was also reasonable priced ... will see how it goes
__________________
---

My G650X Challenge, Bike build thread on
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...7#post15320987
pampaX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 05:46 AM   #4617
MizzouRider
Beastly Adventurer
 
MizzouRider's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Fly over zone
Oddometer: 1,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butters View Post
Have you read much of the "X-Challenge front suspension" thread? It's pretty disjointed and mostly about fork swaps, but there are a few people who changed the springs. I don't see too many complaints about the Hyperpro springs, but I really don't see a lot of "Why didn't I do this sooner?!?" endorsements either. Whenever I get around to servicing my front end, I will likely put them in. For the PITA messy job of disassembling the forks, the small cost of the springs will be the furthest thing from my mind. My feeling is it certainly can't hurt (other than cost).
Thanks, I've been through a lot of old posts on it. It looks like the guys that did it thought the results were ok, but they haven't posted anything here in a year or so. I've got my second leaking seal in the last year, I was thinking its time to replace seals, might do the springs too.
__________________
IBA#32778 2008 R1200GSA 2007 G650XChallenge
No man is as good as he ought to be, and few men are as bad as they seem.. (from a early 1900s post card found in Perry, Missouri..)
MizzouRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:07 AM   #4618
baldbeemer
BALD IS BEAUTIFUL
 
baldbeemer's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: SO. CAL
Oddometer: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jester View Post
Try EBC brake discs, reference number MD810C.

Made in UK. Not sure if they export, would have thought so, but I can help if they don't. I have EBC discs front and rear. They fit properly and run true unlike another make I tried once.
A quick check with amazon and found this:

http://www.amazon.com/EBC-Brakes-MD8.../dp/B0068C2E2G

$133 not a bad deal.
baldbeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:39 AM   #4619
LangKat
Adventurer
 
LangKat's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: Johannesburg
Oddometer: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgarrett View Post
Does anyone have a Hyperpro shock with oil reservoir mounted to a Touratech subframe? The local shop is having difficulty with the install, specifically with the oil reservoir not mounting onto the subframe. There's also an issue with the angle of the hose. Frustrating.
I got a TT subframe recently; but a week after BMW installed it my shock blew a seal or something... Don't know if it was the shock or the shock/frame combo and BMW avoiding dealing with the issues you mentioned.

When I get the shock to the dealer and they take a look I will let you know
LangKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:41 AM   #4620
LangKat
Adventurer
 
LangKat's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: Johannesburg
Oddometer: 66
Thanks to all who gave advice about the jammed seat. Will try get it sorted this weekend.
LangKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014