Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2010, 11:22 PM   #1381
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

Oddometer: 3,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycleman4
Thanks for the direction. I can unplug the ignition swith but not sure how to jump the connection.
Take a piece of wire and crimp connectors (I don't remember if they were both male or female) to the ends, then plug them into where the ignition switch plug came out. If its the swtich, the computer and fuel injection will fire right up.
tbarstow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 11:57 PM   #1382
Cycleman4
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 248
Success

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbarstow
Take a piece of wire and crimp connectors (I don't remember if they were both male or female) to the ends, then plug them into where the ignition switch plug came out. If its the swtich, the computer and fuel injection will fire right up.
Thanks everyone for the input especially tbarstow for pointing me in the ignition direction. The stupid plug had come apart under the digital panel. I couldn't have pluged it in without you guys. Cheers.
Cycleman4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 08:53 AM   #1383
FatHalf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Flasher Relay?

I've searched everything I could find on here, and can't find an answer to where the Flasher Relay is located on this bike. We tore the thing apart last night looking for it and had no luck. There was one post somewhere in here about it being inside the electronics of the dash? I just received LED turn signals from Highway Dirt Bikes and would like to get them installed ASAP. They work w/o the LED flasher, but they go over twice as fast as they should. Any ideas?
FatHalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 09:00 AM   #1384
SCflyer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatHalf
I've searched everything I could find on here, and can't find an answer to where the Flasher Relay is located on this bike. We tore the thing apart last night looking for it and had no luck. There was one post somewhere in here about it being inside the electronics of the dash? I just received LED turn signals from Highway Dirt Bikes and would like to get them installed ASAP. They work w/o the LED flasher, but they go over twice as fast as they should. Any ideas?
How's the battery charge? I put some of the LED signal inserts that are sold by "cooksabit" (ones that replace the bulb - not whole signal) on my 650X Challenge and they blinked fast until I cranked the bike and with regular voltage worked fine. If you're question isn't answered by tonight, I may be able to find something on the wiring diagrams I have.
SCflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 09:01 AM   #1385
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,551
Quote:
Install an equalizer. There are lots of options out there. Here's one.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:14 AM   #1386
FatHalf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRONE
Install an equalizer. There are lots of options out there. Here's one.
Thanks Drone. I have a new relay, which I assume does the same thing as the equalizer, but I wanted to keep the wiring simple....hoping there was a simpler flasher relay like normal so I could plug/play.

SCflyer. I'll check that out in the next hour. I had to leave the bike at my FIL's since it's still tore to pieces.. Thanks.
FatHalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 09:59 AM   #1387
Don't shoot me!!!
Snowflakes are cold...

Oddometer: 569
Quote:
Thanks Drone. I have a new relay, which I assume does the same thing as the equalizer, but I wanted to keep the wiring simple....hoping there was a simpler flasher relay like normal so I could plug/play.

SCflyer. I'll check that out in the next hour. I had to leave the bike at my FIL's since it's still tore to pieces.. Thanks.
i can confirm that the relay is integrated in the oem dash...
i've tried to mount a regular two poled relay, doesn't work.
iv'e orderd a equlizer today from the states, guess that will sort it out
Don't shoot me!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 03:52 PM   #1388
Tunngavik
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 195
BMW G650 Service Schedule

I know this has been posted before, as I found those posts, but does anyone have a link to a BMW G650 service schedule? One post on advrider does have a link to a pdf on the BMW site but it is now a dead link.

After 3 hours of searching BMW, this site and Google I've given up. That, and you would think BMW would have a damn service schedule (e.g. oil change at XXX kms, valve check at XXX kms, replace brake fluid at XXX kms.....) in their "Rider's Manual" but there is nothing except places for the dealership to stamp they have done a service!

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I would like to do some of the work and checks myself.

Tunngavik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 11:52 PM   #1389
AZ-Twin
Dusty and Thirsty

Oddometer: 1,321
Here you go. I have looked all over the web in the past, and the sites that have a list of the maintenance schedules do not mention the G650. Like this one.
http://www.ironhorsemotorcycles.com/MaintSchedule.htm

Heck, here is a place you can download the owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-Twin
I got this off a BMW forum I am on, I pulled one down last week.

User manuals can be downloaded from the Norwegian BMW Motorrad website BMW Motorrad Norge

Click on the link at the right which says "Nedlastbare brukerhåndbøker". You can choose between Swedish and English versions EU version, though.

Hope it works!

http://www.bmw-motorrad.no/no/no/index.html

Fortunately I have the maintenance DVD so I printed and scanned the "BMW Running-in check," "BMW Annual inspection," "BMW Service with Annual Inspecion" and the "BMW Inspection with Annual Inspection" all in one tidy PDF. I have not figured out why they have so many lists, but here they are.

http://www.swartzwelder.net/public/G650_service.pdf

Since all that other stuff is available on-line I don't know why this stuff is not available.

enjoy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunngavik
I know this has been posted before, as I found those posts, but does anyone have a link to a BMW G650 service schedule? One post on advrider does have a link to a pdf on the BMW site but it is now a dead link.

After 3 hours of searching BMW, this site and Google I've given up. That, and you would think BMW would have a damn service schedule (e.g. oil change at XXX kms, valve check at XXX kms, replace brake fluid at XXX kms.....) in their "Rider's Manual" but there is nothing except places for the dealership to stamp they have done a service!

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I would like to do some of the work and checks myself.
2011 North up the CDR
Sierra Vista AZ to Paonia CO and Back through Moab UT

AZ-Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 06:05 AM   #1390
Muddler
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 734
Key Replacement

Can anyone help with a supplier for replacement key blanks for my late 08 X? (preferably Australian)

All I have found so far are:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-199...Q5fAccessories

or

http://cyclekeys.com/zd28rfp.aspx

Do these look right?

Cheers
Rob
Muddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 10:26 AM   #1391
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,551
Quote:

A relay doesn't do what an equalizer does. An equalizer is really just a fancy resistor. An equalizer fools the relay into sensing the right amount of resistance in the circuit to make it blink at the standard DOT rate. Here's another vendor.

A relay is simply an on/off switch unless you have a fancy solid-state relay designed specifically for LED's, like this one--

Old 06-21-2010, 02:13 PM   #1392
Cycleman4
Gnarly Adventurer

Oil Level Help

I know there are other threads but could not find what I needed. Did the oil change per the steps outlined. Not a problem straight forward. However when I added the oil back into the resvoir and then checked the dipstick the oil level did not come up (followed the steps here as well). Everyone says just over 2 quarts should do it but I added 3 and it barely shows on end of the stick. Where did All that oil go?
Old 06-21-2010, 02:35 PM   #1393
matloik
kludge

Oddometer: 1,229
Quote:
I know there are other threads but could not find what I needed. Did the oil change per the steps outlined. Not a problem straight forward. However when I added the oil back into the resvoir and then checked the dipstick the oil level did not come up (followed the steps here as well). Everyone says just over 2 quarts should do it but I added 3 and it barely shows on end of the stick. Where did All that oil go?
You have TOO MUCH OIL in now. Oil level must be checked when engine hot. Run it until fan comes on; run it some more; turn engine off; check oil level.
Old 06-21-2010, 02:50 PM   #1394
Cycleman4
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by matloik
You have TOO MUCH OIL in now. Oil level must be checked when engine hot. Run it until fan comes on; run it some more; turn engine off; check oil level.
I did that......I will do it again. I know it should be to much oil. Confused.
Old 06-21-2010, 03:16 PM   #1395
Bora20
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 849
Quote:
I did that......I will do it again. I know it should be to much oil. Confused.
If you want, you can ride it like that and all the excess oil will blow out through the hose clamp at the lower front right of the motor. However, I would suggest removing some

I have used a mityvac brake vacuum bleeder to suck out oil from the reservoir. I really wish the bike had a oil lever tube on it like the Aprillia.
Bora20 is offline   Reply With Quote