Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2008, 07:36 AM   #31
RedMenace
Adventure Sidecar

Oddometer: 5,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by oppozit
Actually, I have nothing against roller bearing engines and their ability to run on splash/mist lubrication. The welded slingers ARE an engineering crime. The clunky transmissions are no worse than Bavarian Money Wasters. I do have something against people sprouting a little bit of information and a whole lot more misinformation. The article in the first post on this thread is a good case in point. And to get back to the thread question, understand the environment in which the Ural was designed. It was NOT a military vehicle. The 2WD was only added for the U.S. market to compete with Dnepr (Ramco). When these bikes were designed the Soviet maximum speed limit was 90 km/h and the motorcycle speed limit was 70 km/h! You can take a pig and put lipstick on it, it may be a very nice pig, but it's still a pig with lipstick applied. You can take a Ural off-road OR you can make it a highway hauler. You're talking about mutually exclusive design goals. To borrow from the space race (won by the Soviets) - pick two!

Well, I guess I have less emotional investment in this I like the Ural and the Dnepr for what they are. But as far as motorcycles go they aren't much. They are unique. They do look cool. They do the abandoned logging roads I like to explore very well. They do have an interesting if somewhat muddied history.

From the few examples I have seen and played with, I prefer the Dnepr design to the Ural, but workmanship of both marques has been shoddy and QC spotty at best.

Ural's "execution" of the design has improved markedly over recent years, and this, I think, has led to the impression that it is a superior design. In fact it is a better made product, not necessarily a better design. As you point out, design is a compromise and neither marque was ever intended to be much more than cheap, utilitarian transport, agricultural or military. Neither handles well at speeds above it's original design parameters, somewhere around 45 mph.

The newer Gear-Ups I have ridden have, without exception, handled inexcusably badly above 50mph or so. I am not sure if this is because of the suspension or the loose tolerances of the leading link or what exactly, but they would twitch and wander all over the road. The Telo forked Dneprs I've ridden, earlier Tourists, my BMW /2 and /5 Ural combos, even my Chang Jiangs ALL handled highway speeds much better than the 05~07 Urals I've used. None handled like a "modern" bike/sidecar rig but they did not twitch and wander at speed. If I actually owned one, I would put some effort into tracking down the cause and fixing it. I wouldn't buy a Gear Up for urban use where you might be required to venture out on roads where 70+mph is the norm. They are great for rural use. In my opinion. YMMV
Old 05-08-2008, 10:19 AM   #32
Poli
Hate the Cold

Oddometer: 58
You don't need speed. Slow down and smell the roses! My wife and I just completed a 1250 mile 5 day trip around the hill country in Texas on our '07 Patrol. Mostly back roads but a little interstate and major roads. NEVER saw 55 and didn't see 50 too often -- by choice. The bike will cruise at 55 to 60 but why? I average 47-48 on major roads and 35 on back roads. At those speeds you can take in the sights and look around a little and enjoy life. I just watch for traffic and wave them around or pull over if they build up too long of a line. But any faster and you have to concentrate too much on the road and I just like looking around and talking with the wife about things we see (via helmet intercom).
'98 Moto Guzzi EV 1100 - my 'Road' bike
'98 Suzuki DR650 - my other 'Adventure' bike
Poli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 12:50 PM   #33
DirtyDR
Dana

Oddometer: 2,331
Guess I'll throw my 2 cents in here too. I have a 2006 Patrol and I bought it mainly for Winter commuting up here. I got tired of not being able to ride anything but the Rokons for 4 or 5 months because my driveway stays snowed in all Winter. Mine does nice at 60 to 65 but with the Russian knobbies I run in the Winter it is definitely squirrely at speed. With the Excelsior, MG tires and real shocks, Hagons, it rides real nice at 65. It is by no means a highway rig and is best suited for 2 lanes where it is really nice to travel on. I ride it the 300 or so miles out to Moab every Spring and abuse it for a week on the trails and then ride it home and it does just fine on the trails and on the 2 lanes. One of the best things you can do in my opinion is change out the shocks and put something on there that actually has some dampening in them. If I ever get my GS sold I can get the K100 rig put together and then I will have a real traveling hack for running the highways but even so I will never get rid of my Ural.
99 Rokon Ranger
71 Rokon RT140

Hack'n the TLH
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=592860

http://dirtydr.smugmug.com/

Proud Member of the Patrol Patrol
DirtyDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 03:41 PM   #34
gec343
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poli
You don't need speed. Slow down and smell the roses! My wife and I just completed a 1250 mile 5 day trip around the hill country in Texas on our '07 Patrol. Mostly back roads but a little interstate and major roads. NEVER saw 55 and didn't see 50 too often -- by choice. The bike will cruise at 55 to 60 but why? I average 47-48 on major roads and 35 on back roads. At those speeds you can take in the sights and look around a little and enjoy life. I just watch for traffic and wave them around or pull over if they build up too long of a line. But any faster and you have to concentrate too much on the road and I just like looking around and talking with the wife about things we see (via helmet intercom).
Being the owner of a Ural Tourist, I totally agree with the above post. One of the beauties of the Ural is the slow paced character of the machine. I own several other motorcycles, but since my Ural purchase (2 months ago) I have not been on my other bikes. I normally cruise my Ural at 45/50, but it handle 60MPH quite well. I am impressed with this machine.

However, I agree that it is not in the same ballpark as the Japanese machine as far as sophistication, but I find that refreshing.

2010 Gold Wing/ABS
1977 R100/7 (bought new)
gec343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 05:48 PM   #35
The Ragman
Uralist & Bulleteer

Oddometer: 30
I have a 2005 2wd Tourist (Patrol wannabe) and manage to maintain 60 - 65 mph, when the need arises - it doesn't shake at that speed, it actually is smoother running over 55 - I can use the mirrors..
Ethel, WA
The Ragman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 09:28 PM   #36
Mr. Cob
Howling "Mad", Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,244
Howdy All,

The Ural is NOT built for speed, that being said I have had mine up to a GPS verified 82.7 mph going down hill. I regularly ride mine at 55-65 mph but it and I are much happier at 55 mph mile after mile.

Much of the handling problems that have been talked about are due to improper setup, under inflated tires, incorrect usually to tight adjustment of the steering dampener and lack of rider skill. The biggest mistake new hack drivers make is over correction, the rig will wander, it's kind of like riding a dirt bike in sand the bike wants to find it's own way, within reason let the rig find it's best path. If you get a death grip on the bars you will only makes things worse, smooth throttle changes, steering inputs and use of the brakes will go a long ways toward having a well handling rig.

Bottom line, if you want a fast well handling bike with all the modern do-dads folks are accustomed too, don't buy a Ural, if your the type of guy or gal who just loves something different, that will go darn near anywhere, needs a wrench now and then and don't mind your other bikes sitting in the garage till their batteries go dead you just might fall in love with a Ural. I am down to nine bikes, about the only one I have ridden for the last three years is the damned Ural I might as well sell the others.

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Help a CHEAP bastard keep his Smugmug, use this coupon ( geyYbNZwLLrl6 ) thank you.
Mr. Cob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 09:11 AM   #37
Bozola
Complete Bastard

Oddometer: 418
I find that at precisely 60mph my pants burst into flames on the Ural.

2007 Gear-Up "Skwural"
Inflatable Banana
Bozola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 09:51 AM   #38
CapoLee
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Thumb

55 to 60 is just

CapoLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 01:40 PM   #39
DirtyDR
Dana

55 does seem to be the sweet spot for cruising. They are real convenient for helping out the 2 wheeled brethren when they need a jack or a good set of long tire irons and an electric air pump out in the middle of nowhere also.
Attached Images

99 Rokon Ranger
71 Rokon RT140

Hack'n the TLH

Old 05-09-2008, 01:42 PM   #40
DirtyDR
Dana

Then again there are times you wish it would go just a little slower too.
Attached Images

99 Rokon Ranger
71 Rokon RT140

Hack'n the TLH

Old 05-09-2008, 01:58 PM   #41
Yankee Dog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMenace
.................The newer Gear-Ups I have ridden have, without exception, handled inexcusably badly above 50mph or so. ..................but they would twitch and wander all over the road. ...........
you may have had the damper set too hard. My 2005 Gear Up wandered all over at speed when I first got it. It was downright scary. I loosened the damper to almost nothing and now it tracks down the straight and narrow. She wont GO more than about 70 flat out, but she rides just fine.

Yankee Dog
Yankee Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 04:31 PM   #42
RedMenace
Adventure Sidecar

Oddometer: 5,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee Dog
you may have had the damper set too hard. My 2005 Gear Up wandered all over at speed when I first got it. It was downright scary. I loosened the damper to almost nothing and now it tracks down the straight and narrow. She wont GO more than about 70 flat out, but she rides just fine.

Yankee Dog
Nope. Tightening the damper did make it worse, but that was not the issue. Different tires and different pressures did not help. Setting the sidecar shock on stiff preload and the bike shocks softer helped some. Understand I have some experience with these bikes over a broad range of years and with other bikes of this genre as well as with other sidecar rigs, newer and older designs. There was something not right. Not on just one example, either. It felt like a suspension issue but it could have been a front end problem.

Like I said, lacking experience with other rigs one might just accept it, but I know these were handling poorly and it doesn't need to be that way. These were new bikes, straight from IMWA. Tracked ok at lower speeds, were great off pavement but at highway speeds on blacktop they handled like my old 64 Ford 1 ton flatbed- wandered and darted from side to side and you had to average the weave to go down a straight road at speed.
Old 05-09-2008, 04:45 PM   #43
wyowillys46
F=mA

Oddometer: 2,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozola
I find that at precisely 60mph my pants burst into flames on the Ural.
Air friction's a bitch!
Old 05-09-2008, 06:39 PM   #44
Motoriley
Even my posing is virtual

Oddometer: 2,670
Ural

Is that a Dominoes delivery pouch on the rack?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapoLee
55 to 60 is just
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapoLee

Website - http://www.apormc.com/
Vids - http://www.youtube.com/user/Motoriley?feature=mhum
Motoriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 08:49 PM   #45
CapoLee
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Hack seat and dry bag.Removed seat to haul gas.
CapoLee is offline   Reply With Quote